Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
wow I was not ready for that level of culinary instruction

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose

angerbeet posted:

Eh just glorp it in somewhere instead of making a bechamel sauce where it's called for

https://www.food.com/recipe/funeral-potatoes-184624

That'll use up a few cans and give you sodium poisoning, a thing everyone wants

Wow, so that's how they make that. Now to never look up the recipe for Hawaiian Mac salad.

My favorite meal as a kid was wild rice casserole:
1 lb ground beef
I large onion
Some wild rice
Can of cream of mushroom
Salt and pepper
Tater tots

Cook the first three ingredients, combine in oven safe dish, add the cream of mushroom, put frozen tots on top. Stick in 350 degree oven until tots are done.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
One of my favorite books to read (only read, I sure as gently caress am not making anything from it) is a Betty Crocker cookbook from the '50s.

so.much.gelatin.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Schmeichy posted:

Now to never look up the recipe for Hawaiian Mac salad.

it's actually not that bad. I mean yeah it's mayonnaise and pasta but nothing crazy.

the trick to getting the tangy flavor is soaking the cooked noodles in apple cider vinegar.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

cream of mushroom is just fine in green bean casserole

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

cheesy potatoes/funeral potatoes and poppy seed chicken are the only canned cream soup things I've ever made.

poppy seed chicken is a southern casserole with chicken in a creamy sauce with crushed ritz and poppy seeds on top that you eat over your starch of choice

my grandma used to make cheesy potatoes with cornflakes on top :shrug:

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

One of my favorite books to read (only read, I sure as gently caress am not making anything from it) is a Betty Crocker cookbook from the '50s.

so.much.gelatin.

It’s really interesting how julia childs popularization of mid century French cuisine—where things like aspics and minces were considered delicacies due to the level of labor involved in their production—in America led to some of the biggest horrors of 50s cooking like “hard boiled eggs in lime jello”

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

my mom's family had a dish called crows nest that was basically shepherd's pie but was layers of cooked ground beef, canned creamed corn, instant mashed potatoes and cheddar cheese baked until the cheese was browned... still get nostalgic for it

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe

i say swears online posted:

cream of mushroom is just fine in green bean casserole

The weekend after thanksgiving I make a broccoli cheese casserole with frozen broccoli florets, cubed velveeta, cream of mushroom soup and Durkee onions. It’s kind of a nostalgia thing, but I think the first time I had it there were ritz crackers involved.

goes great with leftovers.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Spoondick posted:

my mom's family had a dish called crows nest that was basically shepherd's pie but was layers of cooked ground beef, canned creamed corn, instant mashed potatoes and cheddar cheese baked until the cheese was browned... still get nostalgic for it

I do this but Mexican style. corn, peppers, black beans, taco meat mixed with mashed potatoes on top, bake until browning. serve with sour cream, cheese and lettuce

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the hot dish of my youth

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

my mom used to cook rice then bake it with chicken and cream of mushroom soup and it was objectively not great but I enjoy it nostalgically

I cook it sometimes and my kid always wolfs it down, thus perpetuating the cycle

P_T_S
Aug 28, 2009

Garbage cream of mushroom soup recipe

Sunday Chicken

Line a baking dish with dried beef rounds. Wrap boneless, skinless chicken breasts with bacon. Place wrapped chicken in beef lined dish, pour in cream of mushroom soup until chicken is almost submerged. Bake until chicken is 165°F internally. Optionally top with cheese.

So salty, so 50s kitchen horror, so good.

Dudeabides
Jul 26, 2009

"You better not buy me that goddamn tourist av"

BadSamaritan posted:

my mom used to cook rice then bake it with chicken and cream of mushroom soup and it was objectively not great but I enjoy it nostalgically

I cook it sometimes and my kid always wolfs it down, thus perpetuating the cycle

My mom made a similar version of "shepherd's pie". It's winter food for sure.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

for the future can everyone agree to buy cream instead please?

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Spoondick posted:

this is just french candadian pate chinois or chinese pie if you're from the merrimack valley in MA

my family recipe is almost identical except we go 1/2 creamed corn and 1/2 frozen corn so it doesn't get as wet, and we make the mashed from scratch

Frog and Toad
Jul 31, 2008

Dudeabides posted:

My mom made a similar version of "shepherd's pie". It's winter food for sure.

yeah this sounds like the sort of thing that is in the list of three dishes my dad could cook for all six kids

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

war crimes enthusiast
I can’t eat “cream of” a good scratch mushroom gravy is a good sub for those comfort foods that simultaneously makes them less 50’s food horror.

canned green beans / canned cream of mushroom / fried onions was a thanksgiving / Christmas thing in my family.

fresh beans / mushroom gravy / fried onions is a lot better and healthier.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

yeah but I already have the soup (for my family :wink:)

I think I'm gonna make tuna noodle casserole.

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

yeah but I already have the soup (for my family :wink:)

I think I'm gonna make tuna noodle casserole.

We never had tuna in anything but tunafish sandwich form growing up. I remember having something like Tuna Helper at a friend's house, though. I met my wife when she was in grad school on a stipend that left $40/month after rent. Her go-to was store-brand Mac&cheese with a can of tuna dumped in it at the end. She rarely had milk, so the M&C was often made with butter and water. We must have stopped making that the second we could afford not to.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

I believe that, for science, the thing to do with some of that condensed cream of mushroom soup is to see if you can condense it further

Clever Moniker
Oct 29, 2007

angerbeet posted:

Eh just glorp it in somewhere instead of making a bechamel sauce where it's called for

https://www.food.com/recipe/funeral-potatoes-184624

That'll use up a few cans and give you sodium poisoning, a thing everyone wants

Thank you for this

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Not really a "cooking" skill but does anyone else in here gently caress with some maldon's sea salt

I remember the first time I bought it a few years ago being like "$8 for such a small amount of salt what am I a Rockefeller" but I use it loving daily now and would never go back

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Not really a "cooking" skill but does anyone else in here gently caress with some maldon's sea salt

I remember the first time I bought it a few years ago being like "$8 for such a small amount of salt what am I a Rockefeller" but I use it loving daily now and would never go back

I use it as a topping finish for focaccia, but that's it. What else do you use it for?

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I use it as a topping finish for focaccia, but that's it. What else do you use it for?

Goddamned near everything, really - but in the same way. Top some pasta with it, put it on a seared whatever, roasted vegetables, eggs
Granted you do have to modulate the amount of salt you cook with if you're finishing with more salt but I always find I under-utilize kosher salt by itself anyhow - it's hard to get a sense when you're shaking
I keep the maldon's in a salt cellar and it's a much easier to get a sense of the salt/dish ratio that way I think when you're taking a literal pinch

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
been a hot minute since I've made some bagels

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Goddamned near everything, really - but in the same way. Top some pasta with it, put it on a seared whatever, roasted vegetables, eggs
Granted you do have to modulate the amount of salt you cook with if you're finishing with more salt but I always find I under-utilize kosher salt by itself anyhow - it's hard to get a sense when you're shaking
I keep the maldon's in a salt cellar and it's a much easier to get a sense of the salt/dish ratio that way I think when you're taking a literal pinch

Yeah it's very satisfying to use. I got a bucket of it early pandemic and I'm almost out now. Gotta get my fix

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

The Voice of Labor posted:

I believe that, for science, the thing to do with some of that condensed cream of mushroom soup is to see if you can condense it further

you mean, like drying it?

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

war crimes enthusiast
I use Redmond Real Salt for fancy stuff and lacto fermentation.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

I'm making a hubristic amount of pickles to give out for Christmas gifts for both myself and the GF. was very disappointed to discover that Ball discontinued the pint and a half jars that have worked out so well for pickle spears in the past, but Uline makes their own version that hopefully will work just as well.

I'm using Babish's pickle recipe he originally used for an adventure time episode. I'm just glad there's a GFS near me that sells giant sacks of peeled garlic so I don't have to peel like 18 heads. I've done this in the past but never to this scale but it's cool when people are really impressed by a Christmas gift that cost like $5 including the price of the jar.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

how do you get such consistent and total coverage with the toppings? mine is always patchy and not so far down the sides, from just sort of dipping onto a plate of seeds etc.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Chard posted:

how do you get such consistent and total coverage with the toppings? mine is always patchy and not so far down the sides, from just sort of dipping onto a plate of seeds etc.

tupperware container full of mix, drop one in, close the top and a quick shake.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i've seen what no iodide does to a mfer. give me the mortons.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

tupperware container full of mix, drop one in, close the top and a quick shake.

i bet that's efficient too. thanks, definitely doing that next time

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
made a nice beer bread

AppleNippleBOB
May 13, 2007

Can we get in on soup posts?

I've made this, and its delicious. https://www.cookingclassy.com/cabbage-roll-soup/

I wanna make this https://www.sidechef.com/recipes/60777/instant_pot_caldo_de_res_mexican_beef_soup

and someone just posted this in the covid thread and now I wanna make it too.

https://4sonrus.com/slow-cooker-breakfast-soup/

Gimme some soup posts, goons.

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits
This Polish cabbage and kielbasa soup is fantastic.

I'd make my own sauerkraut for it next time though, and get better kielbasa.

https://www.seriouseats.com/polish-potato-kielbasa-cabbage-soup-kapusniak-recipe

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

I boiled a costco chicken carcass for, like, 4 fours, picked out the bones, sweated some onions, threw in some carrots, noodles, italian herb mix, cardamon, black pepper and way too much salt. came out o.k., just too salty but that was my own fault

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Boiling chicken meat does not do much for me. Best to stick with bones. I do think it's interesting to use minced chicken breast for clarification of stock though. Seems like really excellent chicken stock requires a crazy bone to water ratio, best to just freeze your carcasses until you can pack a pot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

my wife got a packet of Pumpkin Spice Latte VIA coffee from work as a gift and I am going to use it to make Pumpkin Spice Rice.

the question is do I use sushi rice, basmati, or long grain brown for this?