Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I watched one time a 50gb video file (which usually I don't use) just for curiosity, to see if the Quest 2 could play it without getting stuttery. It ran fine.
I never noticed anything wrong with the colors, using VD or Skybox Player.

Speaking of VD, the video functionality is imo still a bit beta. It would the get audio wrong if I rewind a pair of times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

I've streamed huge video files on my Q2 using deovr and streaming over DLNA

panic state
Jun 11, 2019

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFpzmrNwpzU

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Organza Quiz posted:

Is Powerbeats' automatic level generation for songs any good? I have Audioshield so it would need to do a better job of making satisfying levels for it to be worth it for me (not an incredibly high bar admittedly).

Yes*

*Assuming you get the bpm correct (if it dont) and understand its a workout game, not a music game, so its not mapping for you to "dance" or some poo poo.

Its my primary way to work out. Patiently waiting for the steamvr update from the quest port. Should be soon.

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Oct 27, 2021

boz
Oct 16, 2005

EbolaIvory posted:

Yes*

*Assuming you get the bpm correct (if it dont) and understand its a workout game, not a music game, so its not mapping for you to "dance" or some poo poo.

Its my primary way to work out. Patiently waiting for the steamvr update from the quest port. Should be soon.

I'm thinking of just grabbing this and dropping Supernatural, but the boxing they just added is pretty nice. And as weird as it may be, I feel like the whole coach thing helps me stay motivated and going through an entire workout. But drat that monthly fee sucks.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

boz posted:

I'm thinking of just grabbing this and dropping Supernatural, but the boxing they just added is pretty nice. And as weird as it may be, I feel like the whole coach thing helps me stay motivated and going through an entire workout. But drat that monthly fee sucks.

I did one of the new boxing workouts tonight, and as someone who is used to BoxVR, I found it surprisingly intense. And that was just a medium. May have been because the tutorial thing made me think a little more about proper form.

And yeah, I like the coaches (some more than others, depending on my mood).

Walks
Sep 11, 2006

:dukedog:
So, in Pistol Whip I finally beat every level with a single pistol on hard with the Bullet hell modifier. The base arcade levels were not too bad, but the campaign levels were a real fun challenge. No burst gun or boomsticks changes how a level plays significantly.
The hardest level to beat was Bullet train in the Smoke and Thunder campaign. Took me a lot of attempts to get that. The boss levels are my favorite.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAv0X9fc6DY
Every campaign level with no damage taken is on my channel if you want to see one in particular.

I am thinking my next thing is going to be beating every level on Hard with a single Revolver, Bullet Hell, no armor.
The Revolver feels great to shoot.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

While RE4VR has been very well received by the 'core gamers', the type of audience that still participates in gaming forums, the gaming journalists, etc (in other words, older gamers), I think it says a lot how looking at the number of ratings, it actually sold less in the first day than Onwards or Five Nights at Freddys.

drat zoomers!

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slRKY1cIr6E

I'm pretty stoked.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Turin Turambar posted:

While RE4VR has been very well received by the 'core gamers', the type of audience that still participates in gaming forums, the gaming journalists, etc (in other words, older gamers), I think it says a lot how looking at the number of ratings, it actually sold less in the first day than Onwards or Five Nights at Freddys.

drat zoomers!

Hey I gotta be honest here the VR Five Nights at Freddys is solid.

I have no idea how to play it (you just gotta look at the right cameras or something?) but it's still solid, those robot things are spooky

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Walks posted:

So, in Pistol Whip I finally beat every level with a single pistol on hard with the Bullet hell modifier. The base arcade levels were not too bad, but the campaign levels were a real fun challenge. No burst gun or boomsticks changes how a level plays significantly.
The hardest level to beat was Bullet train in the Smoke and Thunder campaign. Took me a lot of attempts to get that. The boss levels are my favorite.
Every campaign level with no damage taken is on my channel if you want to see one in particular.

I am thinking my next thing is going to be beating every level on Hard with a single Revolver, Bullet Hell, no armor.

Just replying to let you know that someone recognizes your effort. That's not an easy way to play Pistol Whip, and you are killing it!

Walks
Sep 11, 2006

:dukedog:

Nocheez posted:

Just replying to let you know that someone recognizes your effort. That's not an easy way to play Pistol Whip, and you are killing it!

Thank you very much! I really appreciate the kind words! :buddy:

Tried out the Revolver, Bullet Hell + No Shield aanndd lost track of time. 2 and a half hours later got the first section of arcade levels down.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Walks posted:

lol, that's awesome.

Watching the video I can't help but start moving my head around as you dodge stuff.

Pistol whip is by far my most played VR game.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Nocheez posted:

Yeah this is impressive af

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
I got my kid an oculus for Christmas. I hate the Facebook requirement, and she's definitely not getting one, but what's the best way to create a completely nonaccessible, useless Facebook account to use with this dumb gay thing?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Glass of Milk posted:

I got my kid an oculus for Christmas. I hate the Facebook requirement, and she's definitely not getting one, but what's the best way to create a completely nonaccessible, useless Facebook account to use with this dumb gay thing?

Just make one now. Post nothing in it. Just throw enough in it so you can get past the verification and past any “is this account a bot” window so you won’t have any issues come Christmas time.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Glass of Milk posted:

Going to facebook.com and clicking on sign up, not filling any data that is not required?
ed: and don't add anyone and put it on private, obviously.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Oct 27, 2021

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Glass of Milk posted:

My account has my real name and I think I put my real birthday, in case I ever needed to do an account retrieval. I put a picture of an Oculus as my bio picture. I put in my bio "This account is for Oculus login purposes only, if you message me I probably won't respond." I think I joined the Oculus group just to look like it has some activity. Then I like, never logged into it again. This is probably more than you need to do, but that account has been alive for over a year now without me touching it.

You're never going to need the Facebook password to do anything on the Oculus after you've linked it, purchases just require like a pin number that you set, so just don't give the Facebook password to your kid.

ACValiant
Sep 7, 2005

Huh...? Oh, this? Nah, don't worry. Just in the middle of some messy business.
I play Pistol Whip with Dead Eye mode on and it is hard as hell sometimes. I could not imagine doing a bullet hell mode.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

StarkRavingMad posted:

My account has my real name and I think I put my real birthday, in case I ever needed to do an account retrieval. I put a picture of an Oculus as my bio picture. I put in my bio "This account is for Oculus login purposes only, if you message me I probably won't respond." I think I joined the Oculus group just to look like it has some activity. Then I like, never logged into it again. This is probably more than you need to do, but that account has been alive for over a year now without me touching it.

You're never going to need the Facebook password to do anything on the Oculus after you've linked it, purchases just require like a pin number that you set, so just don't give the Facebook password to your kid.

I've done exactly this without even putting up a picture, and yeah - it's been good for over a year here too. I never log into it, never use it for anything else.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Turin Turambar posted:

drat zoomers!

It doesn't help surely that the only way I could even find it to buy it was to search for 'resident evil 4' and it wasn't even the first thing popping up by the time I'd typed 'res'

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Pistol Whip deadeye is so fun once you can start reflex headshotting consistently (I still can't, really - but practice makes prerfect). Regular mode makes you feel like John Wick. Deadeye makes you John Wick.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

The Walrus posted:

It doesn't help surely that the only way I could even find it to buy it was to search for 'resident evil 4' and it wasn't even the first thing popping up by the time I'd typed 'res'

It's in the front page. Third line, ignoring the top banner.

Also the first pick in both 'best selling' and 'new releases' categories.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://developer.oculus.com/blog/how-to-watch-connect-2021/

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

boz posted:

Try it out. I like it as much if not more.

Ya sure, theres no "coach". But I also don't have to pay 15 bucks or whatever the gently caress it is these days for that and I could easily throw on a youtube of motivational poo poo behind the game.

I liked supernatural. I was turned off by the fee staying where it was. Its cheaper than a gym but its just bootleg beat saber with bats and ballons with mapping more focused on core movement. Its worth it if you can ignore it costs money per month. If you care at all, its not worth it imo. Its like that snack box every month. Ya its pretty rad, but like, theres other ways to get that poo poo cheaper, its just not as "easy" sometimes.

EDIT: Can't speak for the new boxing mode. Looks like the same thing every dot puncher does or can do. Nice to have some more value though for the monthly fee. Kinda gives it more weight.

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Oct 28, 2021

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Oh that’s neat. Did they do past connects in VR as well?

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Turin Turambar posted:

It's in the front page. Third line, ignoring the top banner.

Also the first pick in both 'best selling' and 'new releases' categories.

Wasn't on release day

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Turin Turambar posted:

drat zoomers!

I'd be willing to bet that the vast majority of quest 2 users are too young to remember RE4 lol

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

They'll all have heard of the series though, it's one of the bigger and longer running game franchises out there.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Turin Turambar posted:

I would say no. Not with that gpu. When I buy whatever new hardware, I expect to enjoy it as a quality experience on the year I buy it, and then over the next three years go steadily lowering the graphics settings. In your case, you can't even max games from two years ago, like Asgard Wrath or Stormland.
I don't think you can play Fallout 4 VR at 100% resolution/90hz with the gtx 1660. Same with NMS.

Is there some difference between what they have and this?
https://www.newegg.com/gigabyte-geforce-gtx-1660-gv-n1660oc-6gd/p/N82E16814932183?Item=N82E16814932183

Because that's the GPU I have and I have yet to run into a game that had performance issues.

explosivo posted:

Oh poo poo I love Dredd, I will have to check that out. Forgot about Fury Road too so thanks for the heads up!

Aside from Fury Road and Dredd, Disney did 3D conversions of some of their animations from the '90s during the 3D zeitgeist (Beauty and the Beast and Lion King were two I recall) and I believe all the Pixar movies from the early-mid 2010s were also in 3D, so there's a few options if you're into that kinda thing. I could've sworn the Star Wars OT went back into theaters in 3D as well, but googling says plans for those got cancelled.

raditts fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Oct 28, 2021

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

The Walrus posted:

Wasn't on release day

I remember it appeared (for me), as I checked it on release day. But I'm not going to discuss for this poo poo.
Surely we are both right, it could have been a issue on the Facebook backend servers, where the ones in your region didn't update properly.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

New free dlc for In Death Unchained
https://www.facebook.com/SuperbrightVR

Starting on November 3rd, dive into a 4th new world to try and tackle 3 new enemies, take on new area’s and unlock even more achievements!Summary:

A brand new, mysterious fourth world with two unique zones to explore

Amulets - A new type of item players can unlock and adjust their risk/reward

Back story shards - Pieces of the game's lore players can find and collect, written by Peter V. Brett

Updated enemy models and shaders

Highlights of the new world:

4 new enemies

14 new achievements

3 new special arrows

1 new pickup item

Advanced procedural generation system

New dynamic lighting and volumetric fog

Advanced shaders and reflections

The new world is very atmospheric, with state-of-the-art Oculus Quest graphics - new visual effects, 3D models and shaders, making the world of In Death better than ever, and the new levels’ real-time lighting, volumetric fog and realistic reflections are a must-see on Oculus Quest.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Oct 28, 2021

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Two games have confirmed that will show something on the conference today: Beat Saber and After the Fall.

In other news: Warhammer Age of Sigmar: Tempestfall launches on November 17, on pc. Later on Quest.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Oct 28, 2021

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

They should just make beat saber a pack-in game already

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Oh hell yeah, new Ragnarock update out today that finally adds visible beat lines to the track

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different
I just did a dumb thing and ordered the Valve Index as my first VR kit. What are some must see VR apps/games I should get?

Alyx is a given since it came with the headset and Skyrim VR with mods seems like it'll be a shitload of fun. But other than those, I'm open to suggestions.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

It doesn't come up much but Elite Dangerous is probably something to try because space trucking in VR is hella chill.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Missionary Positron posted:

I just did a dumb thing and ordered the Valve Index as my first VR kit. What are some must see VR apps/games I should get?

Alyx is a given since it came with the headset and Skyrim VR with mods seems like it'll be a shitload of fun. But other than those, I'm open to suggestions.

Hotdogs Horseshoes and Handgrenades is what you want if you want to play with realistic firearms and shoot unrealistic human-sized hotdogs with a penchant for using knockoff plastic firearms to shoot back at you with.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

I did the same as you, but in July 2020. My favorites so far are:
Pistol Whip - if you like shooting and rhythm games, start here. Make it easy on yourself to get used to it, then play with the modifiers for a new experience.
VR Chat - Free! Lots of good games and experiences inside. We even played a fully-fleshed Among Us that made the game absolutely amazing in first person. Can also play with people who are in flatscreen mode.
Eleven Table Tennis - it just feels perfect. Great experience that you can control. Bullshit with randos with fast match-making. Turn it all off and just play with your own music against an AI of varying difficulties.
PokerStars VR - Another free game that is very easy to slide into but will take a few minutes to figure out the interface. Lots of fun extras, and the ability to mute the inevitable (actual) children that permeate the space. Fun to hang with friends, but is VR only.
DiRT Rally 2.0 - Dirt is loving beautiful, just an absolutely immersive racing experience. If you haven't tried driving in VR, you're in for a treat. Now you can look through the corner of a turn and line your car up perfectly. I only play with a Xbox controller, but I hear that with a racing wheel and pedals the game is perfect. Need a good video card to push this one at high FPS, or turn down some of the effects. The rain/mud is especially amazing, as is having a functional mirror!
Star Trek: Bridge Crew - a must-have if you can get together with your friends on Discord. Our highlight is listening to a captain who ordered us to impulse (short range move) right at the anomaly, which was quasar that was about to explode or some poo poo. We laughed so hard at dying in such a fantastic, stupid way. A+++ experience if you're cool with pretending to be a Star Trek officer on the bridge.

Honorable mentions:
Pavlov - A great first person shooter, but holy poo poo is it hard. I'm sort of terrified of the monsters that will claim to have learned to shoot and kill in VR. I'm kind of OK with not being an absolute killing machine, but this game has some incredible effects. The scopes work, you put them up to your vision and see through them. Like, holy poo poo! Also, people make all kinds of free mods, like Star Wars zombies, or South Park's entire town. The fans put some serious effort into these things!
Vertigo Remastered - Something is just 'off' about this for me, but there were moments of brilliance. However, Alyx beats it in every way for me, so you may want to skip this unless the genre really tickles your fancy.
Jetborne Racing - You fly a loving jet in first person. You grab either your real HOTAS like my lucky friends have, or you use virtual controls. You'll eventually get to feel a pretty damned good simulation of flying a real jet. Can make you feel sick if you're not sitting with your feet on the floor, if you flip around a bunch. The major downside is lack of competition in online play. The most we've ever had together was like 6 people.
Google Earth - great experience but they never added full support for the Index controllers, so it's a sloppy mess that can give you vertigo fairly easily.
Bigscreen Beta - will be awesome when you can stream your poo poo with all your friends who can watch either in VR or flatscreen, together (alas, flatscreeners are SOL here). We've done some movie nights in our little discord group, but haven't had success with doing it in VR. Still worth checking out if it's free, I think it is.

Nocheez fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Oct 28, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

Star Wars Squadrons really does feel like you're in the cockpit of a star wars fighter
Superhot VR
Arizona Sunshine is one of the early VR titles but it is still fun IF you play it early before you start the newer better iterations of games
Moss is amazing