Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Warmachine posted:

I can't tell if warchat is goons projecting or if it's canon stuff in the game that I just missed somehow and "well actually Stardew Valley is basically Warhammer 40k."

Well, it's definitely canon that the society Pelican Town is part of is at war with the Gotoran Empire, that Kent fought in that war and was discharged after spending some time as a POW.

Nothing more than that, though. The USA spent the last twenty years at war without it significantly impacting most of its residents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Tenebrais posted:

Well, it's definitely canon that the society Pelican Town is part of is at war with the Gotoran Empire, that Kent fought in that war and was discharged after spending some time as a POW.

Nothing more than that, though. The USA spent the last twenty years at war without it significantly impacting most of its residents.

I thought the war was over, but maybe I misread something/didn't get far enough.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Warmachine posted:

I thought the war was over, but maybe I misread something/didn't get far enough.

Looks like it's still going per the wiki, but not much is known.

I hadn't realized Gotoro had their own fighters, as well as it being a nation with a long history.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Tenebrais posted:

Considering even a few years ago I had people ask me "Wait, we're still in Afghanistan? I thought we left there years ago!" the average Stardew Citizen not knowing about or paying any attention to the war is the most realistic thing about this game.

Edit: The best example of this was a 20 year old girl in like 2014 learning I had been deployed and asking me "Were you in one of those 9-11 World Trade Center wars?"

limp_cheese fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Oct 25, 2021

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I just "finished" my latest farm! I got 100% Perfection for the first time ever and built Pam and Penny a house. My farm still looks like an undeveloped mess because decorations are for the weak. I'm calling that farm done. The only thing I'd maybe want to do is fill a coop with golden chickens as a weird flex, but eh I think I'm good.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Digging this up from last page but I'm pretty sure that despite the uniform Maru is never referred to as a nurse and is not, in fact, a nurse. She's a part time assistant/receptionist.

The big clue that she is just barely out or not yet out of her teens is that she participates in the egg hunt

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

She's a candy striper

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
i found this youtuber whose videos just make me happy, she's very amusing :)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCD9y_aCUHf91FkBqzpzSaRQ

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

dolphinbomb posted:

Dude is the worst kind of nerd, being deliberately obtuse ("You asked for a fruit, a tomato is a fruit!").

Is Demetrius deliberately obtuse? He doesn't come across as arrogant or smug in that Heart Event. I don't get the impression he understood the full meaning behind Robin's request and played evil genie so he could teach her a lesson about speaking more precisely. He seems to have made a different assumption than most people would, tried to do what his wife asked based on that assumption, and is genuinely surprised to learn she meant something else. Those are not the actions of a villain. In fact, Demetrius promises to "try to get better" at understanding Robin, but Robin doesn't promise to "try to get better" at understanding him. Both partners need to put in work to make a successful marriage -- shouldn't she realize that? Or is she being deliberately obtuse? :smuggo:

Furthermore, there's textual evidence that Demetrius is autistic, and the Heart event is an example of a common issue in autistic-to-non-autistic communication. Autistic people and non-autistic people frequently struggle to communicate with each other, not because autistic people or non-autistics are mean meanies, but because there's often a mismatch in autistic expectations (e.g. "Tomatoes are the fruits of the solanum lycopersicum plant") and non-autistic expectations (e.g. "In our culinary tradition, tomatoes are called vegetables"). This is called the double empathy problem. At least one study suggests that non-autistic people tend to have negative first impressions of autistic people, especially if the autistic person's diagnosis is not known to the non-autistic person. I think that's what's happening with most people who don't like Demetrius: as non-autistic people, they see Demetrius' external behavior, assume he has all the same internal drives a non-autistic person would, and judge him harshly for those behaviors. But I think that Demetrius is acting differently from "normal people" because he doesn't have a "normal person" brain. He is navigating a non-autistic world as best he can with his autistic brain, and maybe Robin -- and some players -- need to be a little more understanding.

quote:

Also he has that weird awkward possessive dad moment in one of Maru's heart events.

This is a lot less forgivable, though understandable. Like most fans, I do assume he's trying to live vicariously through his child. I'm sympathetic, though: he shares a bond with Maru over their mutual love of science, and her going away means losing an important part of his life. If my "Demetrius is autistic" head canon is right, she is probably the only person who can always understand him! It would be really scary if someone who could do that for you left you! And he does have a point: Maru, like most of the marriage candidates, does have to put her dreams on hold to marry you.

In conclusion:

Tired: Stealing Robin away from her nerd husband
Wired: Stealing Demetrius away from his neurotypical wife
Inspired: Making Robin and Demetrius the bread in a Farmer sandwich

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Demetrius can eat poo poo

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
I need a fiddlehead fern. Just one fiddlehead ferm. there are none in the secret forest. it has been 4 days. someone help me budget this my community center is dying

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Demetrius calls you stupid and thinks less of you if you try to explain to him that tomatoes are in fact vegetables, despite calling on you to settle the matter as an authority.

Also I don't think he ever acknowledges the existence of his stepson, who lives in his basement. Blended families are complex, yes, but he sure as hell knows how to dote on the golden child while having about no relationship with a self-taught programmer who has been under his care for at least 18 years.

Dude is obviously coded as autistic, but he's also a dick for reasons that have nothing to do with communication barriers.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

There's a reason Robin is always asking me for wood and giving me wood. :quagmire:

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Not only are you making chocolate in a haunted house full of friendly ghosts, but it looks like the foraging area is some kind of Narnia otherworld accessible through a weird door in the attic.

It's like this game is being designed for my weirdly specific aesthetics. I am gonna play the poo poo out of this.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Demetrius calls you stupid

I don't agree. He says "Really? I figured a farmer would know the correct answer..." And of course it affects your relationship with him! It's very embarrassing to be shown up, especially in front of your spouse!

quote:

Also I don't think he ever acknowledges the existence of his stepson, who lives in his basement. Blended families are complex, yes, but he sure as hell knows how to dote on the golden child while having about no relationship with a self-taught programmer who has been under his care for at least 18 years.

There's a book in Demetrius and Robin's room called "Practical Tips For First-Time Step-Dads," along with "Maximizing Your Second Marriage." It's unclear if Robin bought the stepdad book to encourage Demetrius to connect with Sebastian and Demetrius never read it because he didn't care, or if Demetrius bought it and read it because he wanted to cultivate the relationship. (One point in Option 2's favor: it's pretty common for autistic people to study neurotypical social interactions through reading.) We do know that Sebastian is stubborn, moody, and a loner - he expresses anger and frustration with all of his family and friends, even when they're trying to be nice to him. I think it's very likely that Demetrius and Robin tried to get Sebastian to bond with Demetrius, but gave up after Sebastian refused to accept his stepfather. I can't rule out that Demetrius hosed up at least a little bit, though. As I suggested in my last post, both parties need to make an effort in a relationship.

Stardew Valley is a land of contrasts.

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Gaius Marius posted:

That Guy Bob
Apr 30, 2009

Gaius Marius posted:

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

okey dokey

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

HIJK posted:

I need a fiddlehead fern. Just one fiddlehead ferm. there are none in the secret forest. it has been 4 days. someone help me budget this my community center is dying

Is it Summer? The Secret Woods only grow Fiddlehead Ferns in Summer.

If not, spelunk the Prehistoric floors of Skull Cavern, or explore the Ginger Island Jungle, or wait until it is Summer again in the Secret Woods.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Pththya-lyi posted:

I don't agree. He says "Really? I figured a farmer would know the correct answer..." And of course it affects your relationship with him! It's very embarrassing to be shown up, especially in front of your spouse!

You don't get an option to stay out of it. You either have to tell the truth and upset Demetrius, or lie to assuage his feelings. Same goes for Maru's first heart event. It's not a good look.

Pththya-lyi posted:

As I suggested in my last post, both parties need to make an effort in a relationship.

No.

That is how it works for adult relationships, yes, but Demetrius came into Sebastian's life when the latter was a kid; Sebastian had no say in the matter. The responsibility for their relationship falls entirely on the adults in this scenario. They don't have to be close; Demetrius could simply respect Sebastian's boundaries and treat him cordially while leaving the parenting decisions to Robin, but he literally never acknowledges Sebastian's presence other than scolding him.

If you marry Sebastian, various incidental dialogue makes it clear that his home life was miserable, and also that he loves his mother and knows that she's doing her best, while he feels conflicted about Maru and acknowledges that she's not at fault for his issues.

Demetrius can, in fact, eat poo poo.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Can we all agree that while Demetrius might be obnoxious and bad, Clint is on a whole other level of shittiness?

I mean when you have Hitler right there, it's kinda weird to get riled up about Thatcher.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

It's kinda funny to me that Demetrius gets so much more poo poo for bad parenting than Pam. I mean, I get it, Pam's flaws are front-and-centre and there's not really any argument to be had about them. Also Pam doesn't have a hot wife to get people looking for reasons to break up her family.

But I think if you're going to look at Sebastian's unhappiness with his home life you can't ignore Robin's role in that. Demetrius clearly favours his own daughter over his step-son, yes, but Sebastian's own mother isn't doing anything to make him feel loved either.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext

TorakFade posted:

Can we all agree that while Demetrius might be obnoxious and bad, Clint is on a whole other level of shittiness?

Oh god he's so creepy with his stalking, and his sadsack nice guy act with the tantrum throwing too when Emily's just trying to be nice to people. He's the worst.

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

I think Pam gets a bit of a pass like Shane for their shittiness because they improve themselves somewhat as you get to know them and play out their story. Demetrius seems to kinda just suck in general and not change much, like Clint.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Tenebrais posted:

But I think if you're going to look at Sebastian's unhappiness with his home life you can't ignore Robin's role in that. Demetrius clearly favours his own daughter over his step-son, yes, but Sebastian's own mother isn't doing anything to make him feel loved either.

Robin doesn't really understand Sebastian's lifestyle or respect his boundaries, but he explicitly loves his mother and feels loved in return. She definitely could do a better job, but he understands that she's trying.

Pam, too, at least cares about her daughter, wants her to be happy, and is fully aware that she is failing as a parent. That doesn't absolve her, but is way ahead of Demetrius literally never interacting with Sebastian other than to tear down his snow goon off-screen once every winter.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Demitrius tearing down Sebastian's snow goom is really weird considering Sebastian is in his twenties

tinned owl
Oct 5, 2021
I love how emotionally involved people get into this game and its characters and can't wait for spooky candy shop

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

coolusername posted:

Oh god he's so creepy with his stalking, and his sadsack nice guy act with the tantrum throwing too when Emily's just trying to be nice to people. He's the worst.

was he deliberately written to be The Worst? it sure seems like it.

i mean my dude you see me talk to Emily every day!!!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Demetrius calls you stupid and thinks less of you if you try to explain to him that tomatoes are in fact vegetables, despite calling on you to settle the matter as an authority.

Funnily enough, when I got that scene I answered that tomatoes are fruit. He specifically asks how you would classify tomatoes. And tomatoes are classified as fruit. "Vegetable" is not a scientific classification. It's a culinary term. (Note I am not saying that describing them in culinary terms is any less valid here). If he'd said what would you "call" a tomato, or how would you "categorize" it, I'd answer they're vegetables and the game agrees with me. Tomatoes get turned into juice and pickles, not wine or jam.

Also as someone very close to an autistic person, I 100% read that as a conflict between someone on the spectrum and an NT. No question.

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

I always just read it as him being a "literal-minded nerd" trope

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

chaleski posted:

I always just read it as him being a "literal-minded nerd" trope

It would not surprise me at all if there were significant overlap between people on the spectrum and people considered to be literal-minded nerds.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
I give him tomatoes as gifts. It makes me feel good inside

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

I’m on the spectrum and let me tell you something

Gaius Marius posted:

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Personally I just don't care that much about the personalities of the characters in this game. I know that's the appeal for a lot of people that look at the social aspect of it, but for me heart meters are just another number to make go up, rather than a reflection of what I personally like and don't like. I'm not getting emotionally invested in the human qualities of Demetrius or Clint or Pierre or whoever.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Which is part of why the game is so good. It’s there for folks that want to delve in, but the game is absolutely fine as a farming and capitalism simulator with building elements!

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

lol Stardew doesn't simulate capitalism at all

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
just wait and see how invested i am going to get in the ghost chocolate game

i will gay marry the sweaty forge guy and none of you can stop me

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

just wait and see how invested i am going to get in the ghost chocolate game

i will gay marry the sweaty forge guy and none of you can stop me

I'm a little worried it goes the route of Fire Emblem where you can marry everyone, but then the dialogue and characterization is pared back severely to clichés or to generic comments.

It's always a bit sad when you can't marry the person you want to, but I prefer actually personalities to walking stereotypes or simplistic one-size-fits-all personalities.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I wonder if there will be a multiplayer option at all. Hard to guess since we don't even know that much about the game yet, but there didn't seem to be anything that looked like MP in the trailer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Eric the Mauve posted:

lol Stardew doesn't simulate capitalism at all

can't hire linus/kent for subsistence wages, can't take advantage of my food monopoly to price gouge