Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Goodell just said Snyder has been adequately punished and he’s probably not going to do anything about Watson. The NFL is a terrible organization and we should all feel bad for watching it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Yes the owners are fucks, but the content is so fun. I choose to support the good players like, checks note, Tom Brady.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

The NFL is a joke.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

Relentlessboredomm posted:

this is just gonna make them more popular in texas

also jfc im sorry to dolphins and panthers fans, this poo poo is all despicable. part of the reason i checked out on the nfl for awhile was bc the bucs had loving Jameis at QB and i hated having to see that piece of poo poo trot out there every sunday

Sup former Bucs fan who drifted away because of Jameis buddy?

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Diva Cupcake posted:

Goodell just said Snyder has been adequately punished and he’s probably not going to do anything about Watson. The NFL is a terrible organization and we should all feel bad for watching it.

Owners choose not to punish themselves further. News at 11.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

The point is Goodell can put whomever he wants on the list for whatever reason he wants, real or trumped up.

Is that what the CBA says? that doesn't seem like it could possibly be the case

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
From what reporters keep saying Goodell "can't" invoke the conduct detrimental part because Watson hasn't even been charged which seems consistent. The league would likely get a united front (for once) from the players if he suspended Watson without him at least going to criminal trial. Uncomfortable reality of labor rights and that players who have spoken up on the record are firmly in the "these bitches are lying" camp.

Thinking about this reminded me of when Michael Bennett got charged with totally assaulting a paraplegic security worker at the super bowl. He wasn't suspended either.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

Grip it and rip it posted:

Is that what the CBA says? that doesn't seem like it could possibly be the case

I have a feeling that even if it is the case, if he does put a player who hasn't even been charged with anything on it, it will not be the case in the next CBA

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

fast cars loose anus posted:

I have a feeling that even if it is the case, if he does put a player who hasn't even been charged with anything on it, it will not be the case in the next CBA

Different situation but Kareem Hunt was never charged with a crime but was still placed on the list. So the apparent standard isn’t that you need to be charged with a crime, it’s that you need to make sure there aren’t any cameras around when you sexually or physically assault women.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Different situation but Kareem Hunt was never charged with a crime but was still placed on the list. So the apparent standard isn’t that you need to be charged with a crime, it’s that you need to make sure there aren’t any cameras around when you sexually or physically assault women.

Forgot about Hunt. Yeah you've likely nailed it.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Or to put it another way "don't make it COMPLETELY untenable for anyone to play you; leave us an out no matter how ridiculous"

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Goodell is just attempting to save face and pass the buck onto the police cause they are an easy target for ridicule in current times. Saying they can't do anything without any cooperation from them is an easy out and makes it look like the police are the ones not taking the assaults seriously instead of him

Of course that's all a load of bullshit but some people may buy it. He can put people on the exempt list whenever he wants to

Nodoze fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Oct 27, 2021

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
come on dolphins don't you want to save your season

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Didn't zeke get suspended without any charges, for an incident in the past? It was 100% the police refusing to do anything to him back then, too.

Maybe I've got the details wrong here.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Shinjobi posted:

Didn't zeke get suspended without any charges, for an incident in the past? It was 100% the police refusing to do anything to him back then, too.

Maybe I've got the details wrong here.

I had forgotten how ridiculously drawn out this was.

quote:

On August 11, 2017, the NFL suspended Elliott for the first six games of the 2017 season for violating the personal conduct policy. His suspension stemmed from accusations of domestic violence against his ex-girlfriend on five occasions in 2016. NFL officials conducted a year-long investigation into the allegations, and though Elliott was never criminally charged, decided to suspend him...Although the suspension was upheld on September 6 by a league-appointed arbitrator, on September 8, a federal judge granted a request for injunction by the NFL Players Association (NFLPA), putting the suspension on hold indefinitely.

On October 12, the Fifth Circuit U.S. Court of Appeals announced that Elliot's suspension had been reinstated, meaning that he would have to serve the six-game suspension up from that point.[74][75] On October 18, Elliott was granted a temporary restraining order, meaning that he would not have to serve his suspension from that point, allowing him to play in Week 7.

On October 30, Judge Katherine Polk Failla of the New York Southern District Court, denied Elliott's request for a preliminary injunction, which reinstated the 6-game suspension.

On November 3, Elliott was once again granted a stay by the United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit, which delayed the suspension.

On November 9, the suspension was once again reinstated by the United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit. Three days afterward, Elliott decided to accept the suspension and leave the country to train for a little while.[82] On November 15, Elliott officially announced that he withdrew from another appeal attempt.

Then he went to hang out in Mexico for a while, I think he might have been injured at the time and that's why he stopped fighting and figured it was a good time to serve the suspension? There was also the St Patrick's day thing where he dragged a woman's shirt down that went into this whole ordeal but he claims she was cool with it.

I mean in the end there were no criminal charges so you're right about that part. The part with his ex is he barely bothered to deny and tried to justify on a 'she's crazy' thing if I remember right.

Ragnarok the Red
Jun 21, 2002

Grittybeard posted:

I had forgotten how ridiculously drawn out this was.

A big part of why it got that bad was because Jerry started an absolute shitstorm over this and fought it like crazy. This was the season after the Cowboys went 13-3 and had the #1 seed in the NFC and he thought this was the year they were gonna take the next step and possibly get to the Superbowl and Zeke was integral to that. He drat near started a civil war among the owners, made plans to remove Goodell from power and install a new commissioner, and only finally backed off after a group headed by the Maras, Rooneys, Krafts and other long time owners (if I remember right) threatened to force him to sell.

If someone like Tepper traded for Watson and he promptly got exempt listed I can only imagine the fit he'd throw and Goodell probably doesn't want a repeat of the Jerruh situation, so that's probably why he's taking his time and waiting for criminal charges to be filed this time.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Edit: wrong thread.

Android Apocalypse fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Oct 27, 2021

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
roger: look there's only 26 accused rape victims, really there's not reasonable evidence to suspend this guy

*tom brady throws away a phone* THIS MAN DESERVES DEATH

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Raku posted:

roger: look there's only 26 accused rape victims, really there's not reasonable evidence to suspend this guy

*tom brady throws away a phone* THIS MAN DESERVES DEATH

The league was happy to take Brady to court so they could have Goodells authority on record by a Judge lol. But nope can't do anything here

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Strange that Ezekiel Elliott's star power and team owner going to bat for him didnt defuse his investigation. Those circumstances seem pretty similar to Watson's, with Watson having the facially more aggravated case (I dont know what Zeke is alleged to have done.)

Nov 6, 2002

Strange that Ezekiel Elliott's star power and team owner going to bat for him didnt defuse his investigation. Those circumstances seem pretty similar to Watson's, with Watson having the facially more aggravated case (I dont know what Zeke is alleged to have done.)

Goodell is consistent only in that he is wildly inconsistent with how he handles everything. He is more concerned with appearances than applying any type of standard policy to how the NFL handles players who have potentially committed a crime.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Even then he could give Watson a small suspension for appearances and he could probably ride it our easily

Hell there was no reason not to suspend him for the first half of the year as everyone knew what was happening. It’s been a bit baffling

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
The only thing I could think for Goodell not suspending Watson or putting him on the exempt list was a favor to the Texans, as his trade value would've been completely shot.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I mean his trade value has already been completely shot. If it wasn't for all the assault/rape/whatever he is being investigated for then he would have already been traded as teams would have sold their right arms to get a qb of his caliber.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Android Apocalypse posted:

The only thing I could think for Goodell not suspending Watson or putting him on the exempt list was a favor to the Texans, as his trade value would've been completely shot.

If they suspended him thid year and called the matter resolved I would thinkt that would boost his value

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

If they suspended him thid year and called the matter resolved I would thinkt that would boost his value

The #1 thing every report mentions that's holding this back is uncertainty. I think you're right. The handling of this is just poor, I don't think it's as calculated as people think.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Either the panthers are really out or they’re just negotiating through person.

https://twitter.com/theathletic/status/1453366001073115136?s=21

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Goodell putting out statements about how PROUD they are that they're too smart to be fooled by those lying bitches, can't do anything without ALL the information is loving gross as hell. Basically suggested that they believe there MUST be information out there that would prove these women to be scheming liars

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Then Tyreek never made it onto the list either? And now not Watson?

Wow, what a loving system. Kareem Hunt is a loving SAINT compared to these dudes.

Like this should be easy poo poo to deal with. Shut him the gently caress down now for the entire year AT LEAST is not only the moral thing to do but it would definitely seem to be the smartest thing for the NFL. He's not playing anyways and it would make them look like they even try to give a poo poo about women.

But nope

Play fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Oct 27, 2021

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Play posted:

Wow, what a loving system. Kareem Hunt is a loving SAINT compared to these dudes.

Personally I don't think we should make these types of comparisons

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Aaron Hernandez did NOTHING wrong

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

Kalli posted:

Of course the NFL had no problem letting a gay player be punished for things guys like Ben or Watson would have gotten away with

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Kalli posted:

He was framed and took the fall for the real killer of Odin Lloyd: Tom Br*dy

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Intruder posted:

Some crimes are worse than others, that shouldn't be too hard to comprehend. And I'll freely admit that what Deshaun Watson did makes me a lot more angry and disgusted than what Hunt did, even though they are both reprehensible.

Like whoever figured that out posted, the only difference besides the severity was the presence of a camera.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Intruder posted:

Ive missed his over the top reactions to things

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Play posted:

Some crimes are worse than others, that shouldn't be too hard to comprehend. And I'll freely admit that what Deshaun Watson did makes me a lot more angry and disgusted than what Hunt did, even though they are both reprehensible.

Like whoever figured that out posted, the only difference besides the severity was the presence of a camera.

Oh thank god you were willing to admit that

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Play posted:

I don't like any line of conversation that leads to "This makes the guy who knocked a woman out look like a saint"

Just say yeah Deshaun is a giant piece of poo poo who should be punished even more severely than Hunt rather than oh man this makes Hunt look good in comparison

Nov 6, 2002

Play is actually a machine learning posting algorithm, so cut him some slack he needs more datasets.

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Play is actually a machine learning posting algorithm, so cut him some slack he needs more datasets.

It's true he just learned that horrible ppl committ sex assaults even if they aren't incels. You've got to let the OS go from Jelly Bean to Eclair.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Hes brave enough to admit it's him who hates rapists the most and y'all treat him like this? For shame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
I figured the reason Watson was not on the exempt list or suspended was because they wanted to ignore it as long as possible. Just pretend this guy doesn't exist until the situation is resolved by settlement, prosecution, or whatever.

Then the Texans season opener the announcers talked about Watson for half the drat game I guess they misread the memo.