Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

enki42 posted:

I don't think the argument that people are making requires people to fake their position. It's totally possible to genuinely feel strongly about something AND be a complete aggro rear end in a top hat about it. That's probably more likely than faking being mad, but being actually legitimately mad still doesn't excuse being a complete rear end to everyone at all times.

People can be legitimately mad but knowingly use a false pretense to express it.

People can also be mad at someone/something and develop a post-hoc justification for it that allows them to take it out on someone, both knowingly and unknowingly.

You can see this play out when someone rips something outrageous/misleading off twitter and then gets pissed off when it gets debunked and accuse people of defending the status quo. People get accused of bad faith posting because they come in and don't post things they actually want to discuss, they post things that are simply a vehicle for rage against the dems/capitalism/etc. When they get probed for posting bullshit they then claim it was because they attacked the dems/capitalism/etc.

The corollary to this is people who are really mad that other people don't hate the dems/capitalism/etc as much as they do, so they come in and post whatever comes up that they think makes the people they hate look stupid.

These are both forms of bad-faith posting: both involve posting things that the OP isn't interested in having an open discussion about, but rather the act of posting itself is serving a purpose. People reposting poo poo from fascist twitter accounts aren't doing so because they follow fascists on twitter and think they're a good source of information (I hope), they're doing it because they saw something that they think makes people they hate look stupid and they don't care where it came from. This inevitably devolves into dumb slapfights because the point of the post was never to actually have a substantive conversation about it's contents, so it turns to what the actual point of the post was: gently caress you libs <insert list of historic grudges>.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Best Friends posted:

The post is literally and explicitly denying that genocide is happening. Genocide denial is the specific red line that has been brought up over and over. You are changing the rules to say that now genocide denial is allowed and mod authorized, and the new rule is you can't deny that forced assimilation is happening.

I think that's a good rule change, personally, but rule changes happening by mod decree deep in existing threads without the mods even acknowledging it's a rule change is part of the core problem why d&d is so hostile to anyone in the out group. It's complete Calvinball.

Not using the specific term "genocide" while acknowledging the abuses is not genocide denial.

Muscle Tracer posted:

nope, it's part 3 of Fool of Sound's question. It's about whether you think the event happened / is happening, not the words used to describe it. Seems obvious!

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

fool of sound posted:

Not using the specific term "genocide" while acknowledging the abuses is not genocide denial.

Yeah but that's not how your mods are enforcing "genocide denial" so is this an official change in policy going forwards?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Best Friends posted:

The post is literally and explicitly denying that genocide is happening. Genocide denial is the specific red line that has been brought up over and over. You are changing the rules to say that now genocide denial is allowed and mod authorized, and the new rule is you can't deny that forced assimilation is happening.

I think that's a good rule change, personally, but rule changes happening by mod decree deep in existing threads without the mods even acknowledging it's a rule change is part of the core problem why d&d is so hostile to anyone in the out group. It's complete Calvinball.
Forced assimilation is genocide, just not the exterminatory kind. Letting people use another term to describe what is happening in China, the meaning of which overlaps with variants of genocide, isn't really a rule change. Now if what had been enforced was that it was genocide denial to claim that China did not have extermination camps, and now it's alright to describe it solely as forced assimilation, then it obviously would be a rule change.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

The problem isn't even that it's Calvinball it's they if you point out it's Calvinball D&D has to launch into

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Forced assimilation is genocide, just not the exterminatory kind. Letting people use another term to describe what is happening in China, the meaning of which overlaps with variants of genocide, isn't really a rule change. Now if what had been enforced was that it was genocide denial to claim that China did not have extermination camps, and now it's alright to describe it solely as forced assimilation, then it obviously would be a rule change.

Instead of just going "Yeah, it's is Calvinball. Deal with it" like the rest of SA does when it comes to rules.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Yeah but that's not how your mods are enforcing "genocide denial" so is this an official change in policy going forwards?

They're not "my mods", I'm not an admin or even boss mod of D&D. We try to review each others' decisions but that doesn't always happen for various reasons. That said if anyone gets punished for not using the term "genocide" while still acknowledging that abuses are happening, then they can PM me or use the discord link in the rules thread to otherwise contact me and I will review it and yell at the mod who did it.

bane mask golem
Sep 16, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

silicone thrills posted:

It's cool. I only get more frustrated and lash out more and more every time someone asks me to educate them on "what's wrong with DnD: re : sexual assault" and I'm sure by the end of the day I'll end up eating a probe because it fucks me up to explain the same poo poo over and over again to an audience that only pretends to care.

No, if the mods pretended to care, they'd at least pretend to read the many good posts in this thread, and dish out more than comedy 6ers for rape denialism. But this feedback thread only exists because of a 60-page QCS thread, multiple mods couldn't even stop picking fights even ITT, and now that the problem is clearly 'people pulling up the ladder behind themselves' (???) the problem is resolved. No action needed.

The mods don't even pretend to care.

But nothing's going to be done, for the exact same reason nothing was done during the months of complaints about PPJ: reading posts about a problem and replacing the mods causing the problem takes work. If the admins refuse to put in an hour or two of work, read some posts they don't enjoy reading, and then fix the problems literally dozens of posters have brought up, we can't force them to. Daikatana Ritsu was right: they'll just keep ignoring the problem indefinitely, no matter how many times the evidence is presented to them. Well, until it explodes again for the same unresolved reasons, a few weeks to a few months from now. Then the admins will kramer in, ban-hammer swinging, and fat-finger a bunch of knee-jerk punishments against the posters for daring to keep bringing up these problems and forcing them to do work. And it's been, what, 2 years since the PPJ saga? Same problem, same forum, same team of D&D mods chosen by other D&D mods chosen by other D&D mods.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Hey since context is important, want to reveal who you were before you put on the mask?

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

fool of sound posted:

Hey since context is important, want to reveal who you were before you put on the mask?

:munch:

Edit: to add content, I think a coherent policy regarding what's happening with the Uighurs is going to need to get hammered out and will require poster input.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

The multiple probes in this thread that are for essentially "stop giving us feedback we don't want to hear" and ignoring most everything else is extremely emblematic of the problem. Yall can't even bother pretending at this point.

bane mask golem
Sep 16, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

fool of sound posted:

no.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

OK, then I think we've heard enough from you in this thread.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

fool of sound posted:

Hey this really sucks, as does every other time you've done this in this thread.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

fool of sound posted:

sorry if this comes off as more glib than I mean it, but technically, can't the mods unmask bane? or is this about an exact a science as thread/forum ban tracking?

CommieGIR posted:

In fact, your experiment was so successful that we actually assumed you were a re-reg troll from the start. We asked for an alt-check on October the 2nd and while it did align your account with a fairly innocent poster

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

fool of sound posted:

To be clear this looks really bad. They made a solid point so you are nitpicking at something other than their points.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Cow Bell posted:

You keep bringing this up like it's the only time you've ever slipped up and there was nothing that could be done about it. But the reality is the blow zone got closed down because someone posted rape apologia (and they're still posting right above you in this thread) and you only acted on it when you were forced to, and did the literal absolutely bare minimum. You are still continuing to defend this decision, from that very moment on, in that thread, in QCS, in this thread. The blow zone fell apart because people watched the disgraceful way D&D posters, and the active moderators in that thread, handled themselves and got angry. It's not because people couldn't be chill, it's because the moderation staff actively encourages the worst people and still refuse to acknowledge it.

I'm not defending the decision. I'm saying I'm not going to go back and re-litigate all the bad probes that have likely happened, because if you think that's the only one, we've got a LOT of reviewing to do. Do you think that is realistic at all?

Setting the bar higher and determining the level of punishment is going to be an ongoing thing. The fact that you are mad because a new mod didn't put the screws down and therefore is beyond saving is laughable.

Also: If you view a sixer as "encouragement", yet you want mods to NOT use punishment as a feedback method, then you guys need to come to an understanding of what level of engagement you really want from the mods.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Lib and let die posted:

sorry if this comes off as more glib than I mean it, but technically, can't the mods unmask bane? or is this about an exact a science as thread/forum ban tracking?

I'm not going to unmask them in thread if they want to have an alt, but I also do know who they are and given that don't think that they should be hanging around the feedback thread on that alt.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Stop probing people for having a position that is left of the US News thread's group think. They're not all automatically trolling you or trying to trick you, they're not all "doomers" and "tankies." Debate them, this is supposed to be the debate forum.

If you don't want it to be the debate forum anymore, change the loving name and turn it into the echo chamber that is so clearly desired. Then the D&D regulars will be happy and the report queue will slow down, which is all that matters to the mod team.

Jimong5
Oct 3, 2005

If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to be destroyed... I must simply laugh!!
Grimey Drawer

fool of sound posted:

I need to know what posting faction you hail from before I know if I can dismiss your opinion or not if we moderate based on your posting faction.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

fool of sound posted:

Would you like to answer why you threadbanned someone for providing feedback that contained the mildest of criticisms of you? Or are you once again just going to throw your weight around because you, personally, don't like something despite it having no negative consequences for the thread?

Do you not see why this is a bad thing?

fool of sound posted:

Lmao what a surprise.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

fool of sound posted:

I'm not going to unmask them in thread if they want to have an alt, but I also do know who they are and given that don't think that they should be hanging around the feedback thread on that alt.

If I say they're my alt will you engage with the content of their post instead of just "posting about posters"?

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

I just want to take a moment to point out that the consensus reached just now by the D&D mods w/r/t the Chinese treatment of the Uighurs was the exact same consensus reached by the now-locked C-SPAM thread of the same topic that caused such a furor in D&D that the usual suspects piled into the "isn't this thread just a honeypot?!?!" QCS thead made about it, and is what's pointed to when every dumbass screams GENOCIDE DENIAL FORUM whenever they can

the exact same

Useful Distraction
Jan 11, 2006
not a pyramid scheme

fool of sound posted:

Threadbans and forumbans were specifically an admin directive. The idea is that by using them instead of harsh punishments, someone who is a problem in one place but not others isn't denied access to the entire forums because they can't contain themselves in one specific area. I'm... torn of the efficacy really. For some posters it's absolutely worked, for others it's just encouraged a bad poster to be bad elsewhere instead, and for some others they'd probably have been fine to come back after like a week or something via normal probations. I do think that threadbans in particular have been overused lately tbh.

fool of sound posted:

lol what on earth does this threadban even achieve, that person had made a single post in this thread before you engaged them. wait that's not true, my bad has this been run by any other mods, you know since you said you try to review each others' decisions?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

WampaLord posted:

Stop probing people for having a position that is left of the US News thread's group think. They're not all automatically trolling you or trying to trick you, they're not all "doomers" and "tankies." Debate them, this is supposed to be the debate forum.

If you don't want it to be the debate forum anymore, change the loving name and turn it into the echo chamber that is so clearly desired. Then the D&D regulars will be happy and the report queue will slow down, which is all that matters to the mod team.

Could you show some examples of this happening ever?

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Definitely not how you fix honesty and trust problems.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
We're opening the floor up for some honest feedback and we would like opinions from people in D&D. If you can please make sure to follow the rules we retroactively apply you're all welcome to take part. Except for you, and you, and also you.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Going to break kayfabe for a moment to say that I'm not super interested in the trust or respect or opinions of posters that I think should be banned. If you have a problem with that complain to the admins.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Even in a feedback thread it's all about "owning" people.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

WampaLord posted:

lol never thought I'd hear "stop probing people" from you

I guess folks really do change

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

fool of sound posted:

Going to break kayfabe for a moment to say that I'm not super interested in the trust or respect or opinions of posters that I think should be banned. If you have a problem with that complain to the admins.

No one knows who you're talking about. To everyone except you this looks like you're tilting at windmills.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

fool of sound posted:

Who do you think should be banned?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Gumball Gumption posted:

No one knows who you're talking about. To everyone except you this looks like you're tilting at windmills.

This is largely in regard to the people I've kicked out of this thread.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

fool of sound posted:

This is largely in regard to the people I've kicked out of this thread.

So you know who the alt is? Or you think all alts should be banned? Sorry, not understanding.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Main Paineframe posted:

lol never thought I'd hear "stop probing people" from you

I guess folks really do change

Seriously just imagine how happy you and the various other regulars will be when no one can disagree with you. Anyone who dissents about anything, instant forum ban. Zero reports filed. Imagine the bliss.

All it takes is a forum name and rule change.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Mellow Seas posted:

Even in a feedback thread it's all about "owning" people.

it's representative of the larger issue itf that you project this motivation onto your "posting enemies", which is literally the definition of bad faith, and which is literally what you're trying to do in this exact post! I'm making this point with a paragraph when a simple, clean, "turn on your monitor" would suffice, heretofore, and thusly, in accordance with meeting your effort with effort.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

500 good dogs posted:

So you know who the alt is?

fool of sound posted:

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Sorry, I must've missed that. Still confused why you asked who they were if you already knew or could instantly find out like that, though.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Gumball Gumption posted:

The problem isn't even that it's Calvinball it's they if you point out it's Calvinball D&D has to launch into

Instead of just going "Yeah, it's is Calvinball. Deal with it" like the rest of SA does when it comes to rules.
What? I'm definitely not on the "D&D side" of this, I just think it trivializes the many reasonable complaints about the moderation to try to own fos on that poo poo. I've called for the resignation of every single one of the D&D mods, that doesn't mean I'm gonna back every argument in favor of that end. People badly arguing for your position sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

WampaLord posted: