Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

PT6A posted:

The change sucks, but the fact that a lot of people are basically evenly divided between "standard time is better" and "daylight savings time is better" explains why we do it! You end up with half the people shrieking about sunlight at 4am in summer, and the other half shrieking about the sun rising near 10AM in winter, and the natural solution is to.... change the clocks to avoid both of those situations.

actually everyone who disagrees with me is wrong and should be ignored

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010
people who prefer daylight time or standard time are like Americans trying to defend ferenheit. the problem with the time changes is the time changes themselves: they're provably dangerous, and there's no benefit to doing them. set it to daylight time because kids gotta walk to schooland we will, as a society, adjust to early summer sun within a season or two it will be fine

Shofixti
Nov 23, 2005

Kyaieee!

Or we could build a space elevator and, on the dates of the old time changes, raise or lower a giant mirror that reflects additional sunlight onto Canada

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
Yeah I don't give a poo poo about daylight hours I just don't want to work a 13hr shift every other year and /or adjust my sleep schedule even more

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Shofixti posted:

Or we could build a space elevator and, on the dates of the old time changes, raise or lower a giant mirror that reflects additional sunlight onto Canada

Everyone complains that no billionaire ever decided to become Batman and fight crime, but somehow forget that funding a giant set of mirrors in space was also something Batman did that no one has done yet.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Evis posted:

We could also change business hours twice a year. Work from 9-5 one half of the year and 8-4 the other half.

That wouldn't really solve the problems changing the clocks creates. Everyone changing their sleep schedules is the biggest problem of the clock change.

Clearly we should abolish work, then there'd be no reason to adjust sleep schedules. It'd have the added benefit of reducing workplace deaths too.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Why doesn't the stupid loving sun realize that there is no other way for society to function than with 9-5 work schedules?

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Oxyclean posted:

Clearly we should abolish work, then there'd be no reason to adjust sleep schedules. It'd have the added benefit of reducing workplace deaths too.

And traffic deaths! And probably other stuff like substance abuse and suicide!

Plus we'd all finally have the time to build those guillotines we've been talking about for so long.

I'm on board.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Fire deaths go up because we no longer change our smoke detector batteries.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

egg tats posted:

people who prefer daylight time or standard time are like Americans trying to defend ferenheit. the problem with the time changes is the time changes themselves: they're provably dangerous, and there's no benefit to doing them. set it to daylight time because kids gotta walk to schooland we will, as a society, adjust to early summer sun within a season or two it will be fine
I love that this post calls people who who have preference close minded, then goes on to pick a side as better, and then defends it by making an argument for the other side.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/kenney-government-lawsuit-sexual-harassment-alberta-1.6225606

quote:

A former Alberta legislature staff member is suing the premier's office, saying she suffered from a toxic workplace culture and was fired as retribution for speaking out about the problems she saw there.

The allegations in Ariella Kimmel's lawsuit include sexual harassment and heavy drinking by ministers and staff in legislature offices, as well as claims that senior staff in the premier's office fabricated rumours about her contributing to her termination.

I am shocked. Well not that shocked.

Also this is neither here nor there, but just imagine how miserable it must be to be in even an on-again-off-again relationship with this rear end in a top hat:

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
What is he, 14?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

https://www.cbc.ca/news/jacques-villeneuve-pandora-papers-offshore-accounts-1.6226467

quote:

Yet somehow, when he lived in Quebec in 2010, he declared just $6,431 in personal income — and claimed a tax credit for low-income families. The next two years, he declared $3,224 and $5,782 in income.

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/former-driver-jacques-villeneuve-criticizes-f1-grand-prix-protests-1.1205446

quote:

In a five-minute exchange with reporters Thursday, Villeneuve urged the protesters to go back to school.

He suggested they were lazy. He called them an embarrassment to Canada — especially to Quebec. He suggested they were badly raised, by parents who never learned to say, 'No.'

And he said they risked scaring away tourists and wealthy taxpayers, who would just pick up and invest elsewhere in a more stable climate.

quote:

In the end, he said, the students are hurting themselves because they're pushing for things that aren't fiscally sustainable —and they'll end up paying one day. Unfortunately, he said, if they keep it up there will be less taxpayers around to help foot the bill.

"And where does the government get the money? From taxes, from selling stuff. The next thing they will say is, 'Well, take it from the rich,"' he said. "And that's when you have the rich moving to another country."

You wouldn't want the multi-millionaires moving somewhere else and claiming the low income tax credit there.

Seize every asset this motherfucker has on Canadian soil and wish him farewell.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Do we expect Guilbeault (ooh ex-Greenpeace!) to rock the table and do anything remarkable as Environment Minister or is this an example of the government embracing activism in order to greenwash its existing policies it was already planning on doing.

If the latter gonna be fun to see if Guilbeault already knows this or becomes surprised and resigns when he discovers no one is interested in his ideas.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Powershift posted:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/jacques-villeneuve-pandora-papers-offshore-accounts-1.6226467

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/former-driver-jacques-villeneuve-criticizes-f1-grand-prix-protests-1.1205446

You wouldn't want the multi-millionaires moving somewhere else and claiming the low income tax credit there.

Seize every asset this motherfucker has on Canadian soil and wish him farewell.

Man, gently caress him. I'm all in on noted non-rich-rear end in a top hat Canadian racing driver Lance Strol... oh... never mind.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Femtosecond posted:

Do we expect Guilbeault (ooh ex-Greenpeace!) to rock the table and do anything remarkable as Environment Minister or is this an example of the government embracing activism in order to greenwash its existing policies it was already planning on doing.

If the latter gonna be fun to see if Guilbeault already knows this or becomes surprised and resigns when he discovers no one is interested in his ideas.

I'm not actually sure, it could go either way. I mean based on past experiences it's definitely the latter, but the Liberals live and die on focus groups and the environment is most peoples number one worry nowadays so... maybe they'll do something concrete

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Frank Dillinger posted:

What is he, 14?

He's either 14 or 88, but probably both

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Guilbeault being the environment minister is entirely an optics game to make Tories look like frothing nutjobs screaming about an eco terrorist holding a cabinet position to assault Albertan interests. I doubt he puts out any meaningful platform changes. He's a human dartboard designed to draw in opposition critics and make them look like fools in press conferences.

This whole cabinet shuffle is to maintain a holding pattern until Trudeau gracefully steps down from office, preferably after several provincial governments get toppled and Otoole gets a political assassination from his fringe party nutters.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

Femtosecond posted:

Let's ask the last Cabinet Minister to "rock the table" how that went.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Arc Hammer posted:

Guilbeault being the environment minister is entirely an optics game to make Tories look like frothing nutjobs screaming about an eco terrorist holding a cabinet position to assault Albertan interests. I doubt he puts out any meaningful platform changes. He's a human dartboard designed to draw in opposition critics and make them look like fools in press conferences.

This whole cabinet shuffle is to maintain a holding pattern until Trudeau gracefully steps down from office, preferably after several provincial governments get toppled and Otoole gets a political assassination from his fringe party nutters.

This makes a lot of sense, I think you're absolutely right.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Another Bill posted:

He's either 14 or 88, but probably both

:hmmyes:

ChickenDoodle
Oct 22, 2020

I was today years old when it was revealed that you don’t actually have to SCAN the ID card…

https://www.vancouverisawesome.com/canucks-hockey/the-canucks-didnt-scan-every-fans-vaccine-card-at-their-home-opener-4695234

quote:

“All fans and employees need to present their BC Vaccine Card and photo ID prior to entering Rogers Arena,” he added. “Under the provincial guidelines, businesses have the option of either using visual verification, or scanning the QR code on the Vaccine Card to confirm their guest’s proof of vaccine. We are following all guidelines as we begin welcoming fans back and the feedback at our first game has been extremely positive.”

A bigger concern may be that the mask mandate inside Rogers Arena was loosely enforced, if at all. While it was announced multiple times throughout the game that masks were required at all times, it came with a caveat: if a person is “actively” eating or drinking, they are not required to wear a mask.

Thus, any fan can avoid wearing a mask at the game by nursing a beer or two throughout the game. Dr. Henry herself was spotted on the television broadcast sans-mask with a drink in front of her.

They were enforcing the passport really hard at the Orpheum last night which I appreciated which made up for the rear end-loving Ticketmaster gave everyone and I’d say about 85% of people kept their masks on all night. But now you don’t actually have to scan there’s nothing to stop unvaccinated assholes from attempting to get into places just hoping they won’t get checked.

I honestly don’t know why I’m at all surprised by this dumb poo poo anymore.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

ChickenDoodle posted:

I was today years old when it was revealed that you don’t actually have to SCAN the ID card…

https://www.vancouverisawesome.com/canucks-hockey/the-canucks-didnt-scan-every-fans-vaccine-card-at-their-home-opener-4695234

They were enforcing the passport really hard at the Orpheum last night which I appreciated which made up for the rear end-loving Ticketmaster gave everyone and I’d say about 85% of people kept their masks on all night. But now you don’t actually have to scan there’s nothing to stop unvaccinated assholes from attempting to get into places just hoping they won’t get checked.

I honestly don’t know why I’m at all surprised by this dumb poo poo anymore.

Still beats the Ontario way, which is to display a page-sized all-text PDF on your phone screen. Absolutely trivial to forge.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Interesting. I thought the visual verification thing was supposed to end when the rollout of the app and passports were complete.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Muscle Tracer posted:

Still beats the Ontario way, which is to display a page-sized all-text PDF on your phone screen. Absolutely trivial to forge.

We've had the government issued signed QR code PDFs for like ten days now. If you don't have yours, you can get it at https://covid-19.ontario.ca/proof-covid-19-vaccination

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Yep, already been to a couple restaurants that have been using the scanning app to verify the Ontario code. Seems pretty smooth.

Edit: Although weirdly the Keg wasn't using it, you'd think the big chains would by now.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

The last three restaurants I’ve been to did not scan, just look at the PDF. :/

ChickenDoodle
Oct 22, 2020

Yeah I haven’t had any issues with showing it, even made myself a business card sized one I can whip out with my ID so I don’t have to rely on my phone. I’m just pissed off at this stupid half-assed garbage Saint Henry keeps spewing, telling everyone they must have it but oh it doesn’t have to be scanned you just have to install a QR code reader in your eyeballs cause that will magically tell you the person is vaccinated!

I’m so tired.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Hopefully more and more start using it, seems like a gigantic loving waste of time and money to require us to show the QR code but not require the restaurant to verify it.

e;f,b

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Oh yeah I was at the Canucks game last night (Go Canucks etc) and was quite take back by them just checking to see if we had a vaccination passport and verifying it with a driver's license. That being said I was even more taken back by the sheer amount of people chilling in the concourse drinking and eating. It was shoulder to shoulder with people without masks on because of the drinking and eating. They really really need to institute a drinking and eating only at your seats rule. It was quite a gong show

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Less Fat Luke posted:

Hopefully more and more start using it, seems like a gigantic loving waste of time and money to require us to show the QR code but not require the restaurant to verify it.

e;f,b

I mean it basically sums up most of the world's response to covid.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
I went to a hotel recently and they just looked at the text, didn't scan the PDF, which seemed really dumb since the check-in person had a phone on them and they were issuing wristbands for vaccination status so that they didn't need to continually check, so they were already pretty set to get a limited number of people equipped with the app.

Ford's plan is to phase out requiring them in January anyway, so I doubt they're going to start requiring scanning anytime soon.

enki42 fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Oct 28, 2021

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

infernal machines posted:

We've had the government issued signed QR code PDFs for like ten days now. If you don't have yours, you can get it at https://covid-19.ontario.ca/proof-covid-19-vaccination

Yes, but there's no requirement to actually get the QR code and no requirement for businesses to scan it. The original forgeable plaintext PDF remains valid as proof.
So it's basically the usual useless Ford garbage plan.

Especially since they've already talked about plans to stop any kind of passport stuff early next year.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

infernal machines posted:

True, but I haven't heard of anywhere that requires that version over the administration receipts.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
:shrug: we could enforce the QR requirement like BC does, but as long as "visual verification" is allowed I don't know how much difference there is practically speaking.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Yeah they said the (easily forged) documents can remain a substitute for the QR codes. Because of course they needed a way to do a vaccine passport but not piss off their constituents, so they made it easy to circumvent.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/TorontoStar/status/1453721989005262853?s=20

gently caress man. all vaccinated too.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It could have been averted two years ago but once there was a foothold in Canada we were locked in for bad times. It could have been averted if we didn't have stubborn premiers telling the federal government to eat poo poo over the emergencies act. It could have been averted if antivaxxers didn't spread misinformation and fight mask mandates.

Woulda coulda shoulda. I feel bad for those guys. Your recreation gets put on hold, you all do your part to get vaccinated, and then you get dealt a poo poo hand in your personal health.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

It could have been averted two years ago but once there was a foothold in Canada we were locked in for bad times. It could have been averted if we didn't have stubborn premiers telling the federal government to eat poo poo over the emergencies act. It could have been averted if antivaxxers didn't spread misinformation and fight mask mandates.

Woulda coulda shoulda. I feel bad for those guys. Your recreation gets put on hold, you all do your part to get vaccinated, and then you get dealt a poo poo hand in your personal health.

What can you even do at this point? It's gone on for almost two years with no signs of dissipating and if you have a stroke of bad luck you're dead.

I'm immunocompromised and I've lived in close to an oubliette for months to the point of leaving the city twice but I went out to an NHL game a couple of nights ago because I lucked into some free tickets and just needed to get out and do something. Am I going to have to accept that doing stuff like that could just randomly kill me for the next decade?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
At this point we're locked into having this poo poo as endemic. Mitigating personal risks and holding the monsters responsible to account for their criminal negligence is pretty much all we can do. It loving sucks to do everything right to protect yourself when the selfish actions of even one rear end in a top hat can ruin the lives of millions.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Oct 28, 2021