Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Megabound posted:

It's upgrade day at my coffee corner.

Before:

After:

So far what I've learned after pulling 4 shots is that I have a lot to learn about using this guy to its full potential. None of them have been perfect but they've all been better than what I could get out of the Gaggia. The manual process is very satisfying.

Holy poo poo you went the full eagle! I've recently started to dial in mine a bit more consistently, I was trying to do partial fellini moves/jiggling the lever at the top a bit to get more liquid volume but I suspect that was just disturbing my puck and so I stopped it. Now I just pull up until just before water goes in, load the portafilter, pull up the rest of the way, pre-infuse for 20 seconds or so then pull down. I'm tending to pull hard at first but slacking off as the puck degrades and resistance reduces to keep flow rate approximately constant.

Edit: Also I like longer shots, so I've been doing about 14 to 14.5 grams in, ~36 grams out, so far just a generic pretty dark espresso roast bean. Thinking of cobbling together a dodgy group pressure measurement technique based on how much the whole machine bends when I pull down on the handle.

Double edit: I changed the steam wand tip to a single hole one and I'm much happier with the results, I have a lot more experience using that vs. the three-hole tip it came with.

Blackhawk fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Oct 27, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

aldantefax posted:

It didn't take me too long for getting respectable shots out of a La Paconi Stradivari, to be honest, but I did pitch a lot of espresso and also made a lot of lattes. The whole "milk drinks hide all faults" is very true if you pull a mediocre shot. I think the happiest I have gotten is with a medium espresso roast with about 18 to 20 in using a bottomless filter.

I'll have to fuddle about with it again once my Atom comes in. Can't wait to start making horrible mistakes with that thing. Horrible, delicious mistakes.

This is now a thread about making horrible, delicious mistakes.

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum
I wish I could have more espresso in a day without twitching, stupid delicious coffee

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Sweeper posted:

I wish I could have more espresso in a day without twitching, stupid delicious coffee

do more weed

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Sweeper posted:

I bought some decaf beans recently so I could play with my PP more without my heart exploding. There are some good quality decafs out there these days that can make a similarly good espresso to regular beans.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Blackhawk posted:

I bought some decaf beans recently so I could play with my PP more without my heart exploding.

New thread title please

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

Blackhawk posted:

I bought some decaf beans recently so I could play with my PP more without my heart exploding. There are some good quality decafs out there these days that can make a similarly good espresso to regular beans.

I don’t want to redial in my beans all the time, my grinders number for what grind I’m at is definitely…. Approximate

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Did 2 PPs this morning.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
Are you thinking what I'm thinking PP1

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Blackhawk posted:

I bought some decaf beans recently so I could play with my PP more

yasss thread title please

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

Yep.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Those of you going with the mignon over the niche for espresso…why? Specialita is kinda in the same ballpark price wise, but the niche isn’t available all the time so…

I’m eyeing the silenzio, but I would just single dose 1-2 shots a day, so I wonder if the niche is better for me?

nwin fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Oct 28, 2021

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum

Blackhawk posted:

I bought some decaf beans recently so I could play with my PP more without my heart exploding.

Title

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

nwin posted:

Those of you going with the mignon over the niche for espresso…why? Specialita is kinda in the same ballpark price wise, but the niche isn’t available all the time so…

I’m eyeing the silenzio, but I would just single dose 1-2 shots a day, so I wonder if the niche is better for me?

At this point it's pretty much always available. Unless you want flat burrs I can't see any reason to not get the Niche.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Partial Octopus posted:

At this point it's pretty much always available. Unless you want flat burrs I can't see any reason to not get the Niche.

Compared to the Kinu M47, what am I gaining with the niche? Home-barista had a thread on this and the consensus seems to be just quickness of the grind.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

nwin posted:

Compared to the Kinu M47, what am I gaining with the niche? Home-barista had a thread on this and the consensus seems to be just quickness of the grind.

Yep that is about it, and that will be the case with vs any electric grinder of similar quality.

I only used my handgrinder at work because I would make 1-2 cups of coffee a day and it was both portable and easily storable. If you're going to be making more than that I would go with the electric grinder.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

So I have a robot and want the occasional milk drink. What's the most reasonable way to get some of that good good milk? Any particular frothers or steamers worth looking into?

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Hand grinders are great for brew but takes an eternity for espresso.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

George H.W. oval office posted:

So I have a robot and want the occasional milk drink. What's the most reasonable way to get some of that good good milk? Any particular frothers or steamers worth looking into?

Let me know! I have a nanofoamer coming tomorrow so I’m curious about that.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Partial Octopus posted:

Hand grinders are great for brew but takes an eternity for espresso.

Yeah I should have mentioned that. It’s for espresso. My Kinu probably takes about a minute for 18grams…I only do 1-2 shots a day but for dialing in, it gets kinda old.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

I have a generic-ish frother/steamer pitcher that makes decent enough foam. Its better than I bothered to learn how to do by hand at least, and it is nice just adding milk and pushing a button while I go about making my shot. Breville makes one that has pretty good reviews but is kinda pricey.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

nwin posted:

Let me know! I have a nanofoamer coming tomorrow so I’m curious about that.

i like mine and it's nice for a milk drink here and there (but would probably get annoying for anyone that drinks them constantly). i've made no attempt at getting fancy with the foam but it seems like people who do can get good results

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Yeah I don’t care about latte art. I also found a nespresso aeroccino in my cabinets that I can try out too.

It’s like 1 milk drink a week, so nothing big

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

nwin posted:

Yeah I should have mentioned that. It’s for espresso. My Kinu probably takes about a minute for 18grams…I only do 1-2 shots a day but for dialing in, it gets kinda old.

Really? 18g in my JXPro is like, 15-20sec

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Prices at cafes are out of control. Got an espresso and it was $4. Came with a side of sparkling water, but after tip and everything I'm paying $5 for a plain espresso double shot.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

It's upgrade day at my coffee nook

Before:

After:

I'm yet to run any shots through in, but I'm a recent first homeowner and wanted a proper espresso unit, mate of mine gave me his previous unit after he upgraded to some lever thing with an eagle on it and a niche

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Jestery posted:

Before:

After:

I'm yet to run any shots through in, but I'm a recent first homeowner and wanted a proper espresso unit, mate of mine gave me his previous unit after he upgraded to some lever thing with an eagle on it and a niche

Coffee machine with an eagle on it? Dude sounds like a bit of a wanker.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Megabound posted:

Coffee machine with an eagle on it? Dude sounds like a bit of a wanker.

Probably mods on a dead forum

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Jestery posted:

Probably mods on a dead forum

is the forum gay as well? interested parties want to know

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

:smuggo:

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

amenenema posted:

Really? 18g in my JXPro is like, 15-20sec

I just timed 17.5g at 40 seconds.

Man-kinda want the Jxpro now assuming our grind sizes are the same.

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

nwin posted:

I like my electric grinder at 7.7 seconds :v:

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Oh boy

First shot ran way too long

I'll get there

3 buttons how hard can it be....

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Jestery posted:

Before:

After:

How does the new grinder compare to the ROK one?

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Lord Stimperor posted:

How does the new grinder compare to the ROK one?

Certainly louder

And the ROK has a nice flow of measure, tip, replace cup, grind

Really good for the morning french press

Not being able to single dose and dealing with retention will be new

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

nwin posted:

FWIW 18g takes about 60 "turns" so maybe some of it is just how fast ya wanna crank.

Wait

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

amenenema posted:

FWIW 18g takes about 60 "turns" so maybe some of it is just how fast ya wanna crank.

Wait

Listen kid, ya wrist and elbow movements need work.

Gonna need ya to practice.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Listen kid, ya wrist and elbow movements need work.

Gonna need ya to practice.

But coach, I'm tuggin as hard as I can , and I'm getting tennis elbow

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

someday someone's going to post a "upgrading this....to this" shot but it's just two identical pictures

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

silvergoose posted:

someday someone's going to post a "upgrading this....to this" shot but it's just two identical pictures

Obviously they upgrade to a vst basket but are making coffee so the portafilter is locked in