Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

indigi posted:

Lazlo > Nadja > Nandor > Colin >>>>>>>> Guillermo

imo

rude to guillermo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Nadja is the best, ghost Nadja second best, Guillermo third

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Sagebrush posted:

oh and i loved that the ornithopters only had mechanical instruments, like a spinning metal tape for the altimeter. no computers :3:

technically complex displays would not be forbidden, just thinking displays. paul has a pocket projector with hologram and audio capabilities

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

Nadja is the best, ghost Nadja second best, Guillermo third

agreed. everyone forgets about doll nadja.

i like em all though. laszlo's actor is great and nandor is a fun doofus. even colin robinson is growing on me

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

haveblue posted:

paul has a pocket projector
:wiggle:

(it's analog and uses shigawire for storage)

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

agreed. everyone forgets about doll nadja.

i like em all though. laszlo's actor is great and nandor is a fun doofus. even colin robinson is growing on me
Matt Berry is pretty consistently good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOn56F6BaAY

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OO-ZGP68-3w

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Sagebrush posted:

oh and one more: you only see the heighliners briefly in like 3 shots but they are a gigantic tube that doesn't move. it looks like this movie's interpretation of folding space is that you fly your ship in one end of the tube and out the other and you're in the new star system and i guess the heighliner is in both places at once. is that correct?

i noticed that but wasn't sure i'd interpreted it correctly. but i just went and looked and yeah i think you're right

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

snuffbox is so loving good i should rewatch it

garth marrnghi as well for halloween

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

i wish that delightful human jackie daytona would come back

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Sweevo posted:

i noticed that but wasn't sure i'd interpreted it correctly. but i just went and looked and yeah i think you're right

that is really cool but also a big change from the book because piloting heighliners is the main industrial purpose of spice and the reason it's the most valuable commodity in the galaxy so if they aren't really "piloted" any more what are they going to replace that with

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The navigators use the spice to see a path through folded space that doesn't intersect with a star or a black hole. I think that concept still works even if the ship doesn't appear to be moving. I assume there is a temporary wormhole in the middle of the ship and the navigators have to be on spice while they are doing whatever they do to form and maintain it.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

haveblue posted:

that is really cool but also a big change from the book because piloting heighliners is the main industrial purpose of spice and the reason it's the most valuable commodity in the galaxy so if they aren't really "piloted" any more what are they going to replace that with

it wouldn't be much of a change if they need the spice to do the math to keep the portal open

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

i imagine they're not going to get much into the mechanics of how space travel actually works beyond "they use spice magic to navigate"

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

qirex posted:

it wouldn't be much of a change if they need the spice to do the math to keep the portal open
That's what mentats are for.

Also I can see where it looks like that but if there just going in the mouth of the heighliner and coming out its butthole it wouldn't need to be so long, so thick, so juicy...

Wait, what was I saying?

Oh yeah. The navigators use the spice to peek a couple pages ahead to make sure when they engage the Holtzman drive they don't materialize in the middle of a sun or halfway in a planet snd they're trained to make the necessary adjustments.

I hate that this crap is stuck in my brain.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

qirex posted:

that’d kinda nuke the whole prescience angle

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

duomo posted:

started watching this recently too and the first episode has a (recurring character) blackface sketch

yeah they tone down and drop the makeup pretty quickly in the recurring character sketches, but the character stays around and is played the same. and it’s not even ironic blackface where maybe it is somehow acknowledged that it’s bad, it’s just blackface.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

yeah they tone down and drop the makeup pretty quickly in the recurring character sketches, but the character stays around and is played the same. and it’s not even ironic blackface where maybe it is somehow acknowledged that it’s bad, it’s just blackface.
Hoooooooo boy does some of that poo poo just not play anymore. Blackface, yellowface, an entire episode in brownface, the "becoming an Indian woman sketch", gently caress, probably a score more.

Even Death Comes to Town, ten years ago, had at least one very "oh gently caress no" character

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

lower decks correctly realising that bajorans are terrifying.

:hmmyes:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

indigi posted:

that’d kinda nuke the whole prescience angle

could work if they dropped sapho juice (save a little audience snickering too) and say mentats need spice to function

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

for the purposes of a movie it’s probably sufficient to say that spice is necessary for interstellar travel and leave it at that

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

Hoooooooo boy does some of that poo poo just not play anymore. Blackface, yellowface, an entire episode in brownface, the "becoming an Indian woman sketch", gently caress, probably a score more.

Even Death Comes to Town, ten years ago, had at least one very "oh gently caress no" character

yeah there are a couple mitchell and webb sketch from like 2006-2010 that have a more ironic “this is gonna be racist no matter how you do it” kinda take but, they’re still doing it and white guys who went to Cambridge in blackface is just not a look you would do in 2021

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rl76rTxIyzI

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

haveblue posted:

could work if they dropped sapho juice (save a little audience snickering too) and say mentats need spice to function

whoa what’s Sappho juice I want some

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I bet it tastes like god’s pussy

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

indigi posted:

estradiol

Kernel Sanders
Sep 15, 2020

indigi posted:

*taps thread title sign*

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

Endless Mike posted:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
give me all the thoughts you got for this stained lip mentat

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Endless Mike posted:

I love that guy, he's so human

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

yeah there are a couple mitchell and webb sketch from like 2006-2010 that have a more ironic “this is gonna be racist no matter how you do it” kinda take but, they’re still doing it and white guys who went to Cambridge in blackface is just not a look you would do in 2021

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rl76rTxIyzI

This is unambiguously good satire and social commentary for the time it was in. You wouldn't do it today because society has agreed there's a racist line and blackface is on the other side of it.

It's like how blazing saddles wouldn't be made today not because they drop slurs like they drop R's in Boston but because there isn't an overwhelmingly popular cowboy genre with the overwhelming historical racism whitewashed out to socially comment on.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

RokosCockatrice posted:

It's like how blazing saddles wouldn't be made today not because they drop slurs like they drop R's in Boston but because there isn't an overwhelmingly popular cowboy genre with the overwhelming historical racism whitewashed out to socially comment on.
there were two efforts at making an updated blazing saddles in recent years, both my a-list comedians (adam sandler and seth macfarlane)

the ridiculous six and one million ways to die in the west both came and went without a ripple because as you point westerns occupy a much smaller place in the cultural firmament than they did fifty years ago

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
blazing saddles is my fav comedy movie of all time

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

psiox posted:

rude to guillermo

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

The Fool posted:

letterkenny is not getting enough love itt

agreed. show's real good.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

https://twitter.com/jessecarp/status/1452402606752604166

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

KidDynamite posted:

agreed. show's real good.

letterkenney is bad

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

cite your sources

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

FMguru posted:

there were two efforts at making an updated blazing saddles in recent years, both my a-list comedians (adam sandler and seth macfarlane)

the ridiculous six and one million ways to die in the west both came and went without a ripple because as you point westerns occupy a much smaller place in the cultural firmament than they did fifty years ago

Weren't they also both like really loving terrible?
People still like westerns when they're made well, and there have been a few in TV and movies, but both of those comedians objectively put out low-effort trash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
I live in alberta and letterkenney is for honkies who think trailer park boys is too spicy