Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Y'know, I've gotten into re-watching old La Parka matches, and I saw this one versus Dean Malenko in 1997, and all the announcers do is talk about Hulk Hogan and I realize that none of his matches at this time were as interesting as what was going on in the ring here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ez1G5x7g5oA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/DeepCutsWCW/status/1452981709792759810

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

WCW didn't waste money on Buffer.

They spent money on Buffer, then wasted him.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

I liked Buffer when I was a kid watching WCW, but I can't imagine many adults were buying the PPV's to hear his "Ready to Rumble" bit for the 1000th time. Also:

MrBling posted:

David Penzer was perfectly fine, but he was no Gary Michael Cappetta.

Honestly, I'd take it a step further, I always thought Penzer was an extremely weak and boring announcer. Big voice but he just sounded like a lullaby somehow. If they still had Cappetta, or really anyone more interesting than Penzer, they wouldn't have needed to bring in Buffer to hype up a main event.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Ok so after promising it a couple of weeks ago tonight will actually been Havoc 97!

Dark at 7, Havoc at 8

http://psp-tv.com/r/badmoviesworsewrestling

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Gary Michael Cappetta speaks entirely in capital letters and I liked him. His intro for WarGames at WrestleWar ‘92 was god tier.

THE MATCH BEYOND BEGINS

Super Dan
Jan 26, 2006

rujasu posted:

I liked Buffer when I was a kid watching WCW, but I can't imagine many adults were buying the PPV's to hear his "Ready to Rumble" bit for the 1000th time.

I think it's important to remember that it wasn't just PPVs. Buffer was on most Nitros for a while there, sometimes multiple times per night, so it's even dumber. Honestly, if they had just used him for PPVs it wouldn't have been a bad idea at all.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Super Dan posted:

I think it's important to remember that it wasn't just PPVs. Buffer was on most Nitros for a while there, sometimes multiple times per night, so it's even dumber. Honestly, if they had just used him for PPVs it wouldn't have been a bad idea at all.

Part of the appeal of Nitro is it was presented as a big rear end deal. The only time it didn't really work is when there was no main event and he'd come out to announce a match at like 9:20 because the main event was an angle.

Also Disco Inferno vs Jackie is so loving bad and deserved to win WMOTY 1997 over Age in a Cage.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/deepcutswcw/status/1453341029558636550?s=21

TYRRN

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

He's from Minnesota; he can't help himself

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
There will never be another backstage interviewer like Mean Gene

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Why's there an EDM track playing? Does this happen wherever Scott Norton goes?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

FUCKFACE MORON posted:

Fuckin' A.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

FUCKFACE MORON posted:

Nobody's even close.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
On top of that WWE doesn't even allow interviewers to do anything other then ask a question or two and then stand there staring blankly like a loving mannequin.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Mean Gene didn't even really have to do a whole lot to be a great interviewer. Know the angle, know the characters, and guide the conversation to its obvious conclusion. He had a great voice, but other than that, it's not like it's hard to tell a story about two guys who don't like each other getting into a fight.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Did they ever have someone attack Mean Gene? I feel that went a long way in cementing his status as a respected interviewer. The only thing I can think of is when Papa Shango made him leak black poo poo from his shirt cuff.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Animal-Mother posted:

Mean Gene didn't even really have to do a whole lot to be a great interviewer. Know the angle, know the characters, and guide the conversation to its obvious conclusion. He had a great voice, but other than that, it's not like it's hard to tell a story about two guys who don't like each other getting into a fight.

The art of the backstage barker/interviewer is really that Gene was the one to put a true air of professionalism and seriousness under the whole thing. Spencer Hall puts it a ton better than I can:

quote:

Okerlund played the role of The Serious Adult in the Room on WWE and WCW’s biggest shows. He was the one who asked the questions, demanded answers, and served as the pivot for every beef, rivalry, feud, and outright war between the giants and bit players of wrestling. He hectored wrestlers like an investigative reporter. He was pushy, ornery, sometimes outright hostile to his subjects, playing up the drama while never forgetting to mention that the show was at the National Guard Armory in Nashville this coming Saturday, and that tickets were still available — but selling fast.

That was his job: giving the impression that this was serious, serious business.

Okerlund was seemingly built in a lab to do just that specifically for the sport of professional wrestling. His stentorian voice practically came with its own amplifier. His presence, though, was smallish, almost nerdy, a caricature of what Vince McMahon himself might sketch up for the role of Sniveling Broadcast Journalist. Okerlund sounded like the voice of God. He looked like God’s grumpy, slump-shouldered, balding personal assistant Kevin.

Okerlund’s presence, though, felt 8-feet tall. He was trained as a broadcaster and DJ. He might was well have come from improv theater, though given how well he controlled a scene. Okerlund would never be the star — that was not his job, and never would be. In an over-the-top medium like professional wrestling with exaggerated highs and abysmal lows, Okerlund served as the level. He kept everything on balance, and gave the exact measure of real gravitas to a moment no matter how absurd that moment might be.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Animal-Mother posted:

He was allowed to have a personality, be funny, make jokes, interact with the wrestlers naturally, etc.

The interviewers now may as well be an Alexa device asking the questions. They're not allowed to stand out or take any shine away from the wrestlers. It's just a product of Vince hyper-controlling everything and not letting people just act like normal people with human emotions and motivations. It's all got to be so scripted and watered down and homogenized.

Gene stands out because he was a character for a lot of years in WWE, then rode out his career in WCW where he still got to do the same shtick as WWE moved more into the "interviewers are just nameless, faceless fodder" era.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
At the very least Gene would say something like "Vince/Gorilla/Tony, back to you!" at the conclusion of an interview whereas the animatronics they have interviewing for WWE nowadays just stare blankly into space.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Did they ever have someone attack Mean Gene? I feel that went a long way in cementing his status as a respected interviewer. The only thing I can think of is when Papa Shango made him leak black poo poo from his shirt cuff.

I remember Hollywood Hogan got shovey with him in an interview and Gene yelled about sending a fleet of lawyers after him if he didn't stop

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Someone in WCW, I don't remember who, "attacked" him. He did whatever his move was to Gene but shoved the camera out of the way first so you couldn't see, because Gene couldn't actually take the bump, so he just laid down on the floor and pretended.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Gene throwing to people and calling them by name is like how JR always used to say "Referee Jack Doan" instead of "the ref"

I honestly don't know why they even bother having interviewers at all anymore.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Are there any details as to why the WWF let Mean Gene go? I had a couple of years of not watching any wrestling in those years so when I came back to see Bret Hart as champ, Mean Gene was one of the bigger losses as it really did take away some "legitimacy" from the product they were putting forth, especially with guys like Duke the Dumpster Drose coming in to fill the roster.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

iamsosmrt posted:

Are there any details as to why the WWF let Mean Gene go? I had a couple of years of not watching any wrestling in those years so when I came back to see Bret Hart as champ, Mean Gene was one of the bigger losses as it really did take away some "legitimacy" from the product they were putting forth, especially with guys like Duke the Dumpster Drose coming in to fill the roster.

His contract expired and they never offered him a renewal.

Wiki posted:

Okerlund appeared at SummerSlam 1993 and made his final WWF appearance of the 1990s on the September 18, 1993 edition of Superstars. He then left the WWF entirely when his contract expired. He stated in an RF shoot interview, that although he probably could have re-negotiated a new contract, he was never actually offered one, thus opting to become an interviewer for World Championship Wrestling (WCW). He claimed at the time of his hiring with WCW that he had not been on speaking terms with McMahon for the past few years he was working in the WWF.

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Can it wait a for a bit? I'm in the middle of some *gyrations*

iamsosmrt posted:

I don't know for sure but I'm almost certain some of it had to do with the Hotline, which Gene ran effectively by himself but Vince wanted a cut.

Edit: ^Ah nothing so sordid

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
That was while Vince was getting rid of anyone over the age of forty. Macho left because Vince refused to let him wrestle anymore and stuck him at the commentary desk.

And now...

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
If you somehow haven't seen this, you need to do it right now. Just to see Mean Gene absolutely unable to keep a straight face.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEIzkLr7JzQ

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

MrBling posted:

If you somehow haven't seen this, you need to do it right now. Just to see Mean Gene absolutely unable to keep a straight face.

the pronunciation of WO-MAN just slays me every time lmao

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

MrBling posted:

I watch this once every few weeks when I smoke up, it's pretty amazing and Dr. Dave's delivery plus Gene's corpsing sells it every time.

Yeah, I saw the wikipedia thing about the non-speaking terms, I was hoping someone had insider insight to it, but perhaps nothing ever came out. Even worse was that they tried to replace him with the likes of Todd Pettengill and Dox Hendrix. Kind of hilarious that they managed to hang on long enough to WCW to kill itself and Stone Cold to catch lightning in a bottle. Not shocking that Vince McMahon is so used to fall rear end backwards into success that he refuses to try any other way.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

DeathChicken posted:

I remember Hollywood Hogan got shovey with him in an interview and Gene yelled about sending a fleet of lawyers after him if he didn't stop

Also telling Sean O'Haire and the rest of the NBT that he knows guys who can take out their kneecaps

MrBling posted:

"I'm looking for a WHOA-MON" never stops being funny.

Super Dan
Jan 26, 2006

WUMMUN

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

The camera zooming in to take Gene out of the shot and the "WHATS WRONG WITH YOU GENE" are great as well

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Animal-Mother posted:

It had to be more than that or there'd be even a single talent we could mention in the same breath as him, even if said mention was "they could've been as good as Mene Gene."

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Gene did a program where he teamed w/Hogan against George Steele & Mr.Fuji

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IdVkFnNOxnI

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5AiilBxV9dg

I think it started with George or Fuji threatening Gene?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Mean Gene and The Fink were both one of a kind

I remember their voices from old WWF more than the commentary teams, even though the commentary was great at that time too.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Someone in WCW, I don't remember who, "attacked" him. He did whatever his move was to Gene but shoved the camera out of the way first so you couldn't see, because Gene couldn't actually take the bump, so he just laid down on the floor and pretended.

It was Kanyon during his DDP obsession phase where he was going around delivering the Kanyon Cutter to everyone. I forget the name of the interviewer they had at the time but she was interviewing Kanyon and asking him if he felt like a big man hitting the Diamond Cutter on women to which he tried to do it to her and Gene comes in for the save.

It's in this video at 8m45s, but the full thing is worth watching because there's some really funny ones. The one where Scott Steiner is being interviewed about attacking Kevin Nash and they're filming the outside of the arena is best because it's so completely random.
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/xxhtga

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mean Gene did remind me a lot of Lance Russell in how they were amazing eyes of the storm, so to speak. Always gave just enough.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Idunno. Lance just had a certain something that Mean Gene lacked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFk0viRI7Ok

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Howard Finkel is the GOAT and completely ruined all ring announcers who came after for me. No offense to anyone in particular but nobody else has what he had.