Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Data Graham posted:

Who's that dude in the white royal-looking clothes with the silver goblet?

It's Eamon Valda, played by Abdul Salis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

jng2058 posted:

It's Eamon Valda, played by Abdul Salis.

Can't believe we're going to have to deal with that fuckhead for an extra 5 books worth of story :negative:

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

jng2058 posted:

While that is possible, if you want to make the Whitecloaks a legitimate threat beside just being evil, then having them able to capture and execute a legit Aes Sedai is also the way to do it.

e: For that matter, we see Valda adding the Aes Sedai's ring to a collection of such rings he's got on his belt, so yeah, that's a real Aes Sedai and not the first he's killed.

I have to think burning a real Aes Sedai means the Whitecloaks know about forkroot to prevent channeling. That or their stronghold is in an old stedding or terangreal that mimics a stedding.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

eke out posted:

rafe, talking about that aiel scene, says that they're doing the prologues/flashbacks/flash forwards to show things happening apart from the main characters, which is really exciting

i was worried they'd somehow do a GOT style "no flashbacks, everything through our characters eyes" and you'd miss so much cool poo poo if you did it that way

WoT was originally described to me as narrated in that way, as opposed to other traditional-fantasy stories with an omniscient narrator. Battles described at the hand-to-hand level rather than describing large-scale troop movements, that sort of thing.

So I read it while specifically watching for that, and I guess I did notice quite a bit of it, but it stuck out less than I thought it would. And it was far from a hard-and-fast rule, there was plenty of birds-eye view stuff and out-of-timeline narrative. But the fact that someone identified it to me that way I guess means it would have precedent (other than GOT) for the show to do it that way too.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZAQBG4Qbt8

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Data Graham posted:

WoT was originally described to me as narrated in that way, as opposed to other traditional-fantasy stories with an omniscient narrator. Battles described at the hand-to-hand level rather than describing large-scale troop movements, that sort of thing.

So I read it while specifically watching for that, and I guess I did notice quite a bit of it, but it stuck out less than I thought it would. And it was far from a hard-and-fast rule, there was plenty of birds-eye view stuff and out-of-timeline narrative. But the fact that someone identified it to me that way I guess means it would have precedent (other than GOT) for the show to do it that way too.

i mean things like the literal first scene in EOTW. it'd be a huge shame if they were so tied to the conventions of prestige tv fantasy that we don't get to see LTT's death, for instance (though I doubt they'll put it first, i'm hopeful it'll be in there)

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

jng2058 posted:

That's ultimately the point of "Let the Lord of Chaos rule." By presenting Rand with so many problems and threats at the same time, he's not going to be able to focus on all of them. So yeah, he manages to dig the Forsaken out of Illien, but at the cost of losing track of what's happening at the Black Tower. He cleanses the Taint on Saidin, but while he's doing that, the Seanchan grab the entire western coast of his continent save Arad Doman. Etc, etc, etc.

It's made worse by the fact that he doesn't believe he can trust most of his allies so he feels the need to do everything himself, and he can't cover everything so things keep slipping away from him. And about the only allies he does trust unequivocally, Mat and Perrin, get bogged down in Ebou Dar and chasing the Shaido respectively, and aren't there to take some of the burden off him. Plus his whole "never trust an Aes Sedai" cuts him off from the rest of his natural allies in Egwene, Nynaeve, and Elayne.

And on top of all that, every time Rand is in the presence of another male channeler Lews Therin goes berserk. He needs to trust Taim to run it to some degree or at the first slip he'll balefire the place.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Apparently the show is now officially calling it "the corruption" rather than "the taint"

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
The taint shall never be replaced!

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

To be fair, to some viewers, having themselves covered in the Dark One's Taint might sound appealing.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

YOU WILL NEVER CLEAN MY TAINT, RAND AL’THOR

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Who's the long-haired guy asking if someone knew what Aes Sedai meant in the Old Tongue?

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Logain

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Democratic Pirate posted:

I have to think burning a real Aes Sedai means the Whitecloaks know about forkroot to prevent channeling. That or their stronghold is in an old stedding or terangreal that mimics a stedding.

Well, it could be a lot of things. She could just be a fairly weak channeler and not able to fend off a number of Whitecloaks at once. They could have killed her Warder and grabbed her while she was still in shock from the bond breaking. For that matter, we see in the trailers that the Aes Sedai in the show seem to use a lot of hand and arm movements when channeling, so maybe they got her arms pinned and tied her up, and she isn't strong or experienced enough to be able to channel otherwise.

Jedit posted:

And on top of all that, every time Rand is in the presence of another male channeler Lews Therin goes berserk. He needs to trust Taim to run it to some degree or at the first slip he'll balefire the place.

That's a fair point, especially late in the game when Rand's really starting to lose it...which is, of course, when Taim really goes rogue.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Nitrousoxide posted:

To be fair, to some viewers, having themselves covered in the Dark One's Taint might sound appealing.

Darkfriends are everywhere :ohdear:

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

jng2058 posted:

Well, it could be a lot of things. She could just be a fairly weak channeler and not able to fend off a number of Whitecloaks at once. They could have killed her Warder and grabbed her while she was still in shock from the bond breaking. For that matter, we see in the trailers that the Aes Sedai in the show seem to use a lot of hand and arm movements when channeling, so maybe they got her arms pinned and tied her up, and she isn't strong or experienced enough to be able to channel otherwise.

yeah i bet it's something like this "sure we lost 10 men killing the warder but it's worth it"

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

I wonder if they'll do different sorts of movements for channeling for men and woman. With woman doing more graceful/flowing movements to go with their style of control for the One Power and men doing more direct, forceful movements for how they control saidin

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Who's the long-haired guy asking if someone knew what Aes Sedai meant in the Old Tongue?

Pretty sure that's Thom.

Nitrousoxide posted:

I wonder if they'll do different sorts of movements for channeling for men and woman. With woman doing more graceful/flowing movements to go with their style of control for the One Power and men doing more direct, forceful movements for how they control saidin

That is an excellent idea and one I hope they adopt.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Rafe Judkins doing a detailed breakdown of the trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cjq7iHhuTG0

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Huh. It seemed a Thom-ish question, but he looks awful young. Oh well, if he's good who cares

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

giving the channelers a bit more motion is also probably something being done for the visual format to add a bit of character at times

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

You could also have Rand using the female style of movements, while other male channelers use the male style after he's tutored by Moraine, until he has his own epiphany on how to control it.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Nitrousoxide posted:

You could also have Rand using the female style of movements, while other male channelers use the male style after he's tutored by Moraine, until he has his own epiphany on how to control it.

We've only seen a few glimpses so far, but it'll be interesting to see how Logain channels once the show airs.

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012
Channeling saidar: tai chi

Channeling saidin: shadowboxing

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

make rand a weird hodgepodge of gestures, some of which are more aes sedai like (from watching moiraine), others more forceful, and some more like the forsaken as more age of legends knowledge bleeds through

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

SerSpook posted:

make rand a weird hodgepodge of gestures, some of which are more aes sedai like (from watching moiraine), others more forceful, and some more like the forsaken as more age of legends knowledge bleeds through

the elaine benes school of channeling

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Ishamael Prances into the dream, doing increasingly elaborate ballet

"Do you still enjoy dancing, Lews Therin? We studied it, as intently as the blade you wear, but it's all meaningless in the end. As meaningless as talking to you, I suppose. Do you remember any of this, Kinslayer? Do you?"

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Just wait until Aran'gar shows up and doing a bunch of Tai-chi instead of whatever woman normally would do.

Clever Moniker
Oct 29, 2007

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Anias posted:

Ishamael Prances into the dream, doing increasingly elaborate ballet

"Do you still enjoy dancing, Lews Therin? We studied it, as intently as the blade you wear, but it's all meaningless in the end. As meaningless as talking to you, I suppose. Do you remember any of this, Kinslayer? Do you?"

lol

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Chomposaur posted:

In the trailer walkthrough the showrunner uses "corruption" instead of "taint" -- show ruined

wtf

dark one's greasy taint is one of the best terms in fantasy

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

ChubbyChecker posted:

wtf

dark one's greasy taint is one of the best terms in fantasy

without the taint there is no reason to watch this

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012

PROLOGUE: Dragonmount posted:

He drew on the True Source deeply, and still danced faster, like a man dying of ballet. Quickly he had drawn more of the One Power than he could channel unaided; his skin felt as if it were aflame. Straining, he forced himself to pirouette faster, tried to draw it all. “Light, forgive me! Ilyena!”

The air turned to fire, the fire to light liquefied. The bolt that struck from the heavens would have seared and blinded any eye that glimpsed it, even for an instant. Suddenly, a volcano.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

when depicting the age of legends, it must genre-shift to musical, complete with elaborate dance routines. this is to represent the singing with the ogier, aiel, and nym back in the day, and how saidar and saidin were in harmony

when forsaken are on screen, it must continue to be a musical, only ominous

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Have Mel Brooks cameo as Ishamael with a remake of his Spanish Inquisition dance number, possibly as one of the futures the Dark One shows Rand

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

speaking of dance numbers, Navid Negahban would be perfect at any number of different Forsaken

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Rafe Judkins doing a detailed breakdown of the trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cjq7iHhuTG0
The way he keeps saying Moyraine bugs me. Like, it bugs me slightly more each time he says it.

SerSpook posted:

when depicting the age of legends, it must genre-shift to musical, complete with elaborate dance routines. this is to represent the singing with the ogier, aiel, and nym back in the day, and how saidar and saidin were in harmony

when forsaken are on screen, it must continue to be a musical, only ominous
:hmmyes:

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

I like that the whitecloaks are more dangerous than in the books. Saw some crying on twitter and yt about emotional Lan but Rafe's explanation about thats not his emotions but Moiraine's works for me.

Shienar and the Aiel look sick as gently caress. Trailer is good, show will be good.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

That's Kerene Nagashi's warder Stepin. He's the one crying over a great serpent ring in earlier teasers. Played by Peter Franzén aka King Harald from Vikings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

It's really happening