Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost

skasion posted:

Yeah, and next let’s make a movie about how Paul Atreides’ fanatic legions conquering the universe was actually cool and good
in some sense this will happen whether intended or not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

dune is about worms

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
worms are stored in the dunc

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

free hubcaps posted:

not golden age, but I did hear just yesterday that Iain M. Banks' estate just signed new management. Consider Phlebas would be a loving amazing movie or miniseries
I can't even imagine what Iain M. Banks' books being adapted to film would look like.

Also, speaking of science fiction film adaptations, the movie Predestination is a film adaptation of Heinleins "All You Zombies".
More people need to know about it, and it's one of those movies that need to be watched completely blind.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Oct 27, 2021

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

StashAugustine posted:

can't wait for the hubris of someone trying to adapt book of the new sun

Don’t put that evil out in the world

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
Looking for a woman to call me Shai-hulud

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/tfatwsfilm/status/1453426677644673034?s=20

lmao

quote:

A Motherboard open-source intelligence investigation, with some help from lead researcher and trainer at Bellingcat Aric Toller, shows that before he was a star, Chalamet was just another dweeb on YouTube, showing off his Xbox 360 controllers to a small following. Chalamet’s public relations representatives did not immediately return Motherboard’s request for comment.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Adorable imo :allears:

Microsoft let him do a special official DUNC design on a series x or something! drat the licensing.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

I'm getting news that Chalamet has been recast for the sequel

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/MattDuckEmoji/status/1453443453107515392?s=20

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
"look, im not saying that paul atriedes was a gamer. that would be ludicrous. im simply saying that if games had existed at the time,"

Also, I just found out Chalamet is American. Born in New York. I guess I figured anyone with that outrageously French a name had to be born in France.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

William Bear posted:

"look, im not saying that paul atriedes was a gamer. that would be ludicrous. im simply saying that if games had existed at the time,"

Also, I just found out Chalamet is American. Born in New York. I guess I figured anyone with that outrageously French a name had to be born in France.

His dad is french, works at the UN

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Well that’s the weirdest milkshake duck this year.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

MrL_JaKiri posted:

His dad is french, works at the UN

You mean the landsraad?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

uber_stoat posted:

lmao

quote:

lead researcher and trainer at Bellingcat Aric Toller

:catstare:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

i imagine a fremen's pee would be pure black, like strong espresso coffee

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

The stillsuit should brew coffee honestly

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

William Bear posted:

they use the mentats as nintendos

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

sebmojo posted:

i imagine a fremen's pee would be pure black, like strong espresso coffee

I remember that MadTV sketch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJn5MrBy1A0

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
People who work at the UN park like assholes.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

ChubbyChecker posted:

they use the mentats as nintendos

Paul throws down the controller, storms out of the room crying
Thufir chases after him 'Young master! Young master! You fight when the necessity arises! Now come back and finish Shotgun Snipers!'

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

oh sure bellingcat is digging in to the fremen's past but not a word about the empire's harkonnen allies

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Ingmar terdman posted:

The stillsuit should brew coffee honestly

Was the coffee scene meant to imply that they were sucking water from their stillsuit tubes and spitting it into the coffee pot, or were they literally just spitting in the pot? The later doesn't make a lot of sense, especially since I'd expect the Fremen to be particularly dry-mouthed people.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Desert buddies spit out of respect, to share water. I took it as like an “I’m contributing to the group” thing. Presumably most of the liquid in the coffee is not spit.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Most of the audience laughed at that scene. As well as the desert walk.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

stratdax posted:

OK

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

stratdax posted:

it's because it was funny, op

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Mine definitely laughed at Leto spitting to show respect.

The walk was funny. There's no way to film it that isn't funny. It was funny in Lynch's version too.

I defy anyone to film themselves walking without rhythm in a way that isn't funny. Make sure your friends are there to watch it

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

kiimo posted:

Mine definitely laughed at Leto spitting to show respect.

The walk was funny. There's no way to film it that isn't funny. It was funny in Lynch's version too.

I defy anyone to film themselves walking without rhythm in a way that isn't funny. Make sure your friends are there to watch it

Our audience laughed at Leto spitting, no one laughed at the sand walking though which surprised me because that was way funnier to me lol

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Lmao

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Walking without rhythm is presented completely deadpan as it should be, but is still extremely funny

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
You all laugh if you want, I’ll have the last laugh when you end up as shai-hulud snack time!

fcc compliant bob
Jan 15, 2006

The must un-fantastic avitar on the forum (guranteed!)
Chalamet was great. The take they did on him where he's not speaking the Kings English was nice. He just said poo poo and cussed out his mom. Other than that, poo poo was way too drawn out. I mean I'm not one of those people who you aways hear say "oh I knew that was coming", but drat how long did we have to watch that black oil bath before it was dead obvious he was sitting under there? "Oh ok he's in the oil bath." "Spike just walked up and talked to the bath so he's definitely there." "Ok how much longer do we have to look at the black oil bath?" "OK I GOT IT he's under there." Then ooowe boy! big reveal!! Half naked fat actor. Said some dark poo poo before he went back in. "Ok got it. He's pretty drat wretched." Jacked rear end anticlimactic bullshit. Most of the drat movie followed the same formula.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

fcc compliant bob posted:

Chalamet was great. The take they did on him where he's not speaking the Kings English was nice. He just said poo poo and cussed out his mom. Other than that, poo poo was way too drawn out. I mean I'm not one of those people who you aways hear say "oh I knew that was coming", but drat how long did we have to watch that black oil bath before it was dead obvious he was sitting under there? "Oh ok he's in the oil bath." "Spike just walked up and talked to the bath so he's definitely there." "Ok how much longer do we have to look at the black oil bath?" "OK I GOT IT he's under there." Then ooowe boy! big reveal!! Half naked fat actor. Said some dark poo poo before he went back in. "Ok got it. He's pretty drat wretched." Jacked rear end anticlimactic bullshit. Most of the drat movie followed the same formula.

lol

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

dune, more like yawwwwwn

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Source your quotes

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I have to say that the Sci-Fi (now d/b/a Syfy) channel's three-part remake of Dune and even their sequel miniseries series Children of Dune were superior to this current remake, and that's with an understanding that Children of Dune was in no way good. From the first scene in this remake, it's boring, the actors don't appear convincing as their characters and there is little to draw the viewer in. Dialogue seems truncated from prior tellings of the story, leaving the viewer feeling disconnected from the characters and their struggles.

Technobabble, a hallmark of most science fiction, is mentioned here and there in the order familiar to those who know the plot, but it's like they're just checking off boxes on a list someone told them they had to include. Pauses between lines and scenes are overly long and melodramatic, making scene transitions and stretches of silence have more dramatic impact than the actual bits that advance the plot or could provide character development.

Also I was less than impressed but hardly surprised that they felt obliged to make the first Fremen we see on camera Black. What's the point of that? Doesn't it break immersion for everyone else? There's this group of natives, not presumed Earth-descendant outsiders like the Attreides, but native people of Arrakis called the Fremen and they have common ancestry and hate outsiders... but oh yeah, this one's Earth African and that's totally normal and not jarring. I know that later in Herbert's books, in Chapterhouse Dune, they actually have the Bene Gesserit encounter literally Jews in Space 26000 years in the future, but this is meant to be a retelling of the original story which didn't include such anachronisms. I understand why they make such decisions, which makes me like it even less.

Thumbs down on 2021 Dune.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

sebmojo posted:

I have to say that the Sci-Fi (now d/b/a Syfy) channel's three-part remake of Dune and even their sequel miniseries series Children of Dune were superior to this current remake

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRy18Euw6W4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

sebmojo posted:

I have to say that the Sci-Fi (now d/b/a Syfy) channel's three-part remake of Dune and even their sequel miniseries series Children of Dune were superior to this current remake, and that's with an understanding that Children of Dune was in no way good. From the first scene in this remake, it's boring, the actors don't appear convincing as their characters and there is little to draw the viewer in. Dialogue seems truncated from prior tellings of the story, leaving the viewer feeling disconnected from the characters and their struggles.

Technobabble, a hallmark of most science fiction, is mentioned here and there in the order familiar to those who know the plot, but it's like they're just checking off boxes on a list someone told them they had to include. Pauses between lines and scenes are overly long and melodramatic, making scene transitions and stretches of silence have more dramatic impact than the actual bits that advance the plot or could provide character development.

Also I was less than impressed but hardly surprised that they felt obliged to make the first Fremen we see on camera Black. What's the point of that? Doesn't it break immersion for everyone else? There's this group of natives, not presumed Earth-descendant outsiders like the Attreides, but native people of Arrakis called the Fremen and they have common ancestry and hate outsiders... but oh yeah, this one's Earth African and that's totally normal and not jarring. I know that later in Herbert's books, in Chapterhouse Dune, they actually have the Bene Gesserit encounter literally Jews in Space 26000 years in the future, but this is meant to be a retelling of the original story which didn't include such anachronisms. I understand why they make such decisions, which makes me like it even less.

Thumbs down on 2021 Dune.

:popeye: