Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I mean, there's not much else to talk about with the Texans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

General Dog posted:

I mean, there's not much else to talk about with the Texans.

Oh there's tons to talk about which is why this thread started before we knew anything about Watson, just not tons that announcers would be allowed to talk about.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Grittybeard posted:

Oh there's tons to talk about which is why this thread started before we knew anything about Watson, just not tons that announcers would be allowed to talk about.

Okay that's fair and accurate; failson owner and youth group Rasputin are for sure off-limits for a network broadcast.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Intruder posted:

I don't like any line of conversation that leads to "This makes the guy who knocked a woman out look like a saint"

Just say yeah Deshaun is a giant piece of poo poo who should be punished even more severely than Hunt rather than oh man this makes Hunt look good in comparison

Fair enough, the comparison only arises in my mind due to the NFL inviting it. The radically different ways the NFL seems to be choosing to handle the two situations is irritating to me, and the main difference appears to be that one has video evidence and the other 'merely' the testimony of dozens of untrustworthy whores

Comrayn posted:

I figured the reason Watson was not on the exempt list or suspended was because they wanted to ignore it as long as possible. Just pretend this guy doesn't exist until the situation is resolved by settlement, prosecution, or whatever.

Then the Texans season opener the announcers talked about Watson for half the drat game I guess they misread the memo.

Same I'm at least a little suprised that the NFL has bungled their way into it being one of the top stories in the league again.

As for the announcers, they should probably just stop talking about it entirely. If you can't speak about what actually happened and can only minimize it to 'off the field issues,' might be best to just shut the gently caress up

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Comrayn posted:

I figured the reason Watson was not on the exempt list or suspended was because they wanted to ignore it as long as possible. Just pretend this guy doesn't exist until the situation is resolved by settlement, prosecution, or whatever.

Then the Texans season opener the announcers talked about Watson for half the drat game I guess they misread the memo.

I think if they put him on the exempt list they open themselves up to appeals? Having him sit out voluntarily does the job for them

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

General Dog posted:

... youth group Rasputin...

loving lol at this description. Bravo.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

Parallelwoody posted:

loving lol at this description. Bravo.

It does raise an interesting question, is it worse to have an like owner Dan Snyder who is incompetent and arrogant all by himself, or an owner like Cal who can get hornswoggled by anyone with a pulse and a Bible?

I guess I would argue if someone who was at least competent wormed their way into Cal's circle you could get decent results but that seems unlikely

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

fast cars loose anus posted:

It does raise an interesting question, is it worse to have an like owner Dan Snyder who is incompetent and arrogant all by himself, or an owner like Cal who can get hornswoggled by anyone with a pulse and a Bible?

I guess I would argue if someone who was at least competent wormed their way into Cal's circle you could get decent results but that seems unlikely

I think I would prefer someone like Cal but that is like being asked if you want to loose 4 or 5 fingers. There is an obvious winner but both options still suck.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Nystral posted:

Sup former Bucs fan who drifted away because of Jameis buddy?

hey hey, how’s it going

good to be free of that creep

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

fast cars loose anus posted:

Well Cal is older, so from that perspective I'd rather have him than Snyder if you catch my meaning.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
I'd want a completely unapologetic former go-go dancer, possible black widow like Georgia Frontiere.

If you're going to get the owner from Major League, get the complete dose and not a lovely interior decorator who met your ancient rear end team owner at Mass and then decides to go full Rod Dreher using that wealth to protect the church

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE
The Lady Snyder is the best because she's such a Protector of the Shield

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Lady Snyder sounds incredibly close to Lady MacBeth and it seems fitting.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1454774825357135873

quote:

Texans general manager Nick Caserio has been unwavering in his stance and determination to get full value for Watson and, to date, has been unwilling to trade him for anything less than what he believes Watson is worth.

Texans owner Cal McNair privately has told people that he would like the organization to trade Watson before Tuesday's 4 p.m. ET deadline but is leaving the decision to Caserio.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

lol Beaker is going to make sure the Texans go down with Watson

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Watson slightly less trash tier QB then human. Be lucky to get a second for him from some dumpster fire team now no matter how hard they try to rumor mill trades.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Elephanthead posted:

Watson slightly less trash tier QB then human. Be lucky to get a second for him from some dumpster fire team now no matter how hard they try to rumor mill trades.

Since Watson may never actually suit up for the team he’s traded to I can’t see him having any more value than a random camp body in the preseason. They’d be lucky to get a 6th.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

dirty shrimp money posted:

Since Watson may never actually suit up for the team he’s traded to I can’t see him having any more value than a random camp body in the preseason. They’d be lucky to get a 6th.

Watson is only not playing right now because he refuses to play for the Texans. He has literally just been showing up and doing the bare minimum to not get fined. He is sitting out. He is not being held out, and Gooddell has already said he doesn't have enough information to suspend him now. He would start for any team that gets him. He also has a no trade clause and the dolphins are the only team he's given the Ok to. The Dolphins won't pay a ransom, but would pay a reasonable rate. Caserio somehow thinks that he'll be able to get the king's ransom from someone else in the next offseason.

Watson's legal woes are a factor in his value, but there's no indication he will be suspended anytime soon. Remember Jameis Winston and Ben Roethlisberger are starting QBs.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Well I mean sitting for over a year can’t be good for any player

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I dunno, if Watson maintains the discipline to stay in shape I don't see how sitting a year is that bad. At least there's less wear & year in his body.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Android Apocalypse posted:

I dunno, if Watson maintains the discipline to stay in shape I don't see how sitting a year is that bad. At least there's less wear & year in his body.

Any of the pro training facilities would fall over themselves to bring in retired coaches and at least praxtice squad level players to keep Watson in shape during the offseason if he wasn’t part of a team program.

All these guys workout in the off-season with these huge academies in Florida and Atlanta.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Sitting out a year won't appreciably affect his value as a QB

This is a Houston sports story, though, which means he'll end up in jail before our Bible-thumping dipshit of a GM gets anything for him. Not because the Bible-thumping GM is morally opposed to getting value for a rapist QB, mind you, but because he is bad at reading the market.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Android Apocalypse posted:

On the other hand, when Le’veon Bell sat out a year he transformed from perennial pro bowler to barely usable. Maybe it was going to happen anyway since RBs just crater hard from the abuse of the position. But it did make me wonder about what a year away from the game does to someone.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

CharlestheHammer posted:

I dunno, everybody’s estimation of Kaepernick seemed to rise every season for the first 2-3 he was out.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

General Dog posted:

I dunno, everybody’s estimation of Kaepernick seemed to rise every season for the first 2-3 he was out.

Yeah but your just signing Kaep. You aren’t giving anything up for him. So if he flamed out what did you really lose?

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

Docjowles posted:

On the other hand, when Le’veon Bell sat out a year he transformed from perennial pro bowler to barely usable. Maybe it was going to happen anyway since RBs just crater hard from the abuse of the position. But it did make me wonder about what a year away from the game does to someone.

Also worth noting that Gase never wanted him, and just used him the same as he would Gore. Take the ball, run it where I tell you and that's that. Of course it doesn't help Bell's argument that he did nothing in KC, and is looking absolutely cooked in Baltimore.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

CharlestheHammer posted:

I thought that too but Vick was in prison for nearly two years and came out and played the best football of his career.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

I thought that too but Vick was in prison for nearly two years and came out and played the best football of his career.

Not instantly. He got out and spent a year as the Eagles third stringer basically only getting in for some wildcat/trick plays behind :mcnabb: and Kevin Kolb. IIRC, he said that first year was important both for him getting into shape and learning the playbook, which paid off the next year. It also helped that the Eagles had a good staff and plenty of weapons on offense, and the expectations for him weren't all that much until he got significant playing time in the 2010 opener, at which point he again looked like :vick: only throwing even better.

Nov 6, 2002

fartknocker posted:

Not instantly. He got out and spent a year as the Eagles third stringer basically only getting in for some wildcat/trick plays behind :mcnabb: and Kevin Kolb. IIRC, he said that first year was important both for him getting into shape and learning the playbook, which paid off the next year. It also helped that the Eagles had a good staff and plenty of weapons on offense, and the expectations for him weren't all that much until he got significant playing time in the 2010 opener, at which point he again looked like :vick: only throwing even better.

Yeah but my point is being in prison for 21 months is going to be considerably more detrimental than just sitting out one season. It's not like Watson doesn't have access to elite training programs and nutrition just because he isn't starting.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
One of the big complaints from bodybuilders in prison is getting protein (there's literally a black market in stuff like canned tuna or chicken) from the food, so I don't doubt it.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/ProFootballTalk/status/1454982857869381636?s=20

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

Galaxy brain poo poo in Houston

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
How would Florio possibly know the Texans would know that?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

YOU loving IDIOTS

(if true)

e: Less than 48 hours before I find out if I watch a Texans game this season other than a few minutes here and there

Nov 6, 2002

It also makes no sense... this idea that the civil lawsuits are the big hold up. It's the potential for criminal charges that are the real elephant in the room.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
He's a millionaire. It'll take 20 years for him to finally get prison time. If the civil suits go away he might get suspended and that'll be the end of it. Dude will be treated like Kobe.

The world is a poo poo.

Nov 6, 2002

Ches Neckbeard posted:

He's a millionaire. It'll take 20 years for him to finally get prison time. If the civil suits go away he might get suspended and that'll be the end of it. Dude will be treated like Kobe.

The world is a poo poo.

you literally have that backwards

if the suits go away he will not be suspended

the league has already said they don't have enough evidence to do anything, and if everything is settled all that evidence disappears forever

the only way he gets suspended is if one of those cases goes to trial and something juicy comes out, or he faces criminal charges

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Weren't there a few women cooperating with police or was that bullshit from the lawyer

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

you literally have that backwards

if the suits go away he will not be suspended

the league has already said they don't have enough evidence to do anything, and if everything is settled all that evidence disappears forever

the only way he gets suspended is if one of those cases goes to trial and something juicy comes out, or he faces criminal charges

You're right but remember Goodell's actions are extremely arbitrary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I wonder if Caserio has given Wilf a call about a trade.