Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

oh word, i guess i just built up a whole fantasy in my head. But this looks neat too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
What I´m interested to know is whether the following acts (or confessions) will have the same structure i.e drive the carriage while choosing the different routes or if the developers have other surprises up their sleeve.

Anomalous Blowout
Feb 13, 2006

rock
ice
storm
abyss

It makes no attempt to sound human. It is atoms and stars.

Noting here that UI comments in particular are REALLY great to send to the team using the feedback form in the menu. First time users not knowing where things are or what things mean or how to access information is some of the best feedback devs can get.

The other game I'm working on right now (Mini Motorways & Mini Metro) is infinitely more playable now than at launch because of feedback we got from players that was just "yo I couldn't find this thing" or "I had trouble figuring out what I was supposed to do with x." We did a lot of alpha/beta testing, but beta testing can only get you so far unless you're able to manage and collect feedack from thousands of people.

Contact form gooood.

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010

OzFactor posted:

Ride and/or Die

Yeah?

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
I'm taking IRL stress reading all these posts about how the negative relationship changes happening for killstealing need to be removed
This is Corpses all over again.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Lmao Plague Eater lady is polite enough to daintily wipe her torso mouth after chomping you.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Crasical posted:

I'm taking IRL stress reading all these posts about how the negative relationship changes happening for killstealing need to be removed

Uh I mean I think the problem is that it's happening too much, not that it's happening at all

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Apparently, the devs agree

https://twitter.com/DarkestDungeon/status/1453478301100511233?s=20

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013
I wonder how people would react to the kill-steal barks if they were along the lines of ‘wtf you got their intestines all over me’, since that might strike players as a more reasonable complaint. But also, the frustration probably stems from a deeper root cause anyways? (I am not a game designer)

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

I love that this sequel is sufficiently different to neither eclipse the original or be a disappointing shadow of it. Too many game sequels are just "the same again, but with minor changes you might love or hate".

MShadowy
Sep 30, 2013

dammit eyes don't work that way!

Fun Shoe
Purely from observation, I think it's basically a combo of it not taking a lot of stress for characters to start bitching about kill stealing (it seem to start at about 4/10 stress from what I was able to see) plus at that point the comments start getting almost entirely negative, resulting in relationship loss, higher stress and more negative comments leading into a downward spiral that seems extremely difficult to escape.

Also it has a kind of weird thing where it sort of takes you out of the game while the characters do their quipping and look accusingly out of the screen? It sort of treats it as an aside in a way that seems a little strange.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

0.09.28724 Build is going live on all branches (DDII and DDII - Experimental)
- Feedback tool now requires both fields filled out to send
- Attempted fix for more boot into black screen issue
- Fix for Turkish System/Keyboard Language causing the UI to not be interactable.
- Reduced trigger rates for many affinity changes, especially the most annoying ones (e.g. jealous over kill stealing)
- Increased cooldowns for relationship actouts, which is a step towards reducing spamming
- Reduced relationship DOT (bleed/blight/burn) resist buffs/debuffs because they were stacking too high when multiple relationships were present
- Potential actor info soft lock fix
- Stoped meltdowns / act outs from happening during hero story fights from driving stress.
- Users are now only allowed have a single instance of the game running at any time
- Russian Loc Fix for plurals.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Red Hook, as always, owns

Smith Comma John
Nov 21, 2007

Human being for president.

Crasical posted:

corpses served a clear tactical purpose though

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
At the time? People were pissed because it rendered the Leper problematic at best and useless at worst, and it took a LONG time for them to give him a corpse clear/

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

kurona_bright posted:

I wonder how people would react to the kill-steal barks if they were along the lines of ‘wtf you got their intestines all over me’, since that might strike players as a more reasonable complaint. But also, the frustration probably stems from a deeper root cause anyways? (I am not a game designer)

Being punished for accomplishing what the game wants you to accomplish (kill the enemies) is almost always going to be a feel bad. you also cant even play around it making it even more frustating. Same thing with the positive relationships having some pretty bad downsides at times

babypolis fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Oct 28, 2021

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013

babypolis posted:

Being punished for accomplishing what the game wants you to accomplish (kill the enemies) is almost always going to be a feel bad. you also cant even play around it making it even more frustating. Same thing with the positive relationships having some pretty bad downsides at times

If stress is low enough, none of the bickering happens, which is a valid way to play around it imo. (I think the game probably needs to make this clearer though)

Kaincypher
Apr 24, 2008

DLC Inc posted:

please PLEASE rush to get the Plague Doctor's 2nd story part lol.

goddamit I lost against the lecturer. WTF? I only have 2 moves, one removes 1 stress from self and the other removes 3 stress from self. Guess which one i spammed and still lost?

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

kurona_bright posted:

If stress is low enough, none of the bickering happens, which is a valid way to play around it imo. (I think the game probably needs to make this clearer though)

there doesn't appear to be a good way to manage stress, though. Basically I have to have 2 people using stress reducing abilities whenever they're off cooldown just to manage stress through ordinary fighting, let alone fighting where the enemies actually have stress damaging abilities. It's especially bad because people don't actually need to have high stress to start getting relationship maluses. They need like, 3 or 4 stress. And because stress has been reduced to a range of 10 rather than 100, stress builds up really fast. In the first game, minor stressors would give like, 2-3% of your total stress, but now the minimum for any stressor is 10%.

Then you throw on the fact that stress in this game is so much more important than the first game. In 2, you have a fixed party of 4, which means you can't cycle people off to recover their stress. You also have virtually no avenues for powering up those 4 people other than by building relationships, which requires maintaining very low stress. The first game had several tiers of equipment and skill upgrades to buff people with. This one has 1 tier of skill upgrade, which in many cases is just "make this skill actually usable", and trinkets, and that's it. You need to build relationships in order to make your guys stronger, which is why it's so frustrating that they all immediately start fighting at like, 40% stress.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Kaincypher posted:

goddamit I lost against the lecturer. WTF? I only have 2 moves, one removes 1 stress from self and the other removes 3 stress from self. Guess which one i spammed and still lost?

the trick is that the one that removes 3 stress provokes a counter attack from the professor and the other students which does like, 4 stress damage total. you have to spam the 1 stress skill until the professor uses the Conclusion ability. it's safe to use the 3 stress skill once after he uses that ability.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Bloodly posted:

The voice might be the same, but the character's entirely different. He's 'The Academic' now. Not the Ancestor.

I figured this was only in relation to the player. In the first game you're some nerd in The Ancestor's family inheriting his estate. In the 2nd game you're some nerd he taught at college that he probably did some really hosed up poo poo with (since all The Ancestor does is really hosed up poo poo)

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Yeah I'm not liking this at all, among everything else the 5 turn thing sucks. Might refund and come back later

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I also don’t like how they seemingly stripped out most of the aoe attack stills.

CAR CRASH CRACKERS
Jan 13, 2008

commemorative spoons and tiny personalized license plates: the regalia of tourism

Kaincypher posted:

You kept interrupting the lecture like a jackass, gotta wait till he's finished with his argument to refute it.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

DrManiac posted:

I also don’t like how they seemingly stripped out most of the aoe attack stills.

they're there, you have to unlock them

Padical
Nov 29, 2004
I cleared the mountain on my second run just now. It seemed a bit easy to be honest, but the game is cool and seems to have a lot of content in it to play around with. I'm excited to see what the full release will look like. Obviously these confessions are going to be a big chapters and I've only just cleared the first one.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Yeah I figured out Paracelus Ace Attorney. But I just blew the Grave Robber mission Goodbye Earl, solely because I didn't know I could poison his drink behind the furniture and thought I had to stay at rank one. Just let me poison my abusive drunken husband goddamn it!

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I think the big adjustment is going from a slow meta grind where a non-boss expedition’s victory is likely so long as you plan carefully to a run-based game where you are expected to master the gameplay instead of just throwing dudes into a meat grinder until you get a Dream Team to carry you.

That said Death’s Door on enemies feels like it misses the point of why Death’s Door was a cool mechanic (helped mitigate bad luck and added tension to fights)

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Xibanya posted:

My contribution to the game is very hard to explain to non developers. Literally every frame looks how it does due to something I did, but it doesn’t look like that solely because of what I did, it’s the great models, textures, animation, etc coming together. (Well I can point to specific effects I created but shading is way more than just VFX.) I guess the best way I could put it is that being the graphics programmer on a game is like being a colorist for a comic book. Just like lovely coloring can make great line art look crass, lovely shading can make incredible models look cheap, and just as great coloring can turn a page into a gallery piece, great shading is what makes 3D graphics truly astounding.

in other words, imagine 4 meshes on the edge of a cliff, 3d graphics works the same way

I know this is from pages before, but, is it possible for you to demonstrate this after the game is released.

That is to say, once NDAs are not an issue, is there a version of the game you could release video from where, for lack of a better term, your contributions are turned "off"?

I'm really curious to see some of the stuff that is crucial to making a game look good but is nearly invisible to the untrained eye.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
What mini-bosses are there in the Lairs? Seen one(Undead tree general-the tangle Lair), not others. Hard to track down footage specifically.

CAR CRASH CRACKERS
Jan 13, 2008

commemorative spoons and tiny personalized license plates: the regalia of tourism

Bloodly posted:

What mini-bosses are there in the Lairs? Seen one(Undead tree general-the tangle Lair), not others. Hard to track down footage specifically.

I've fought a fleshy cornucopia baby and a book burning librarian, both I thought were easier than the plant general

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Oh, great, there are (enemy spoilers) Shamblers___________________ in this one, too.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
i had a group of three girls: graverobber, plague doctor, and hellion. and my highwayman plowed his way through them all, which then led to a series of lesbian relationshis

Bloodly posted:

the one in the forgotten forest battlefield is insanely tough. he slowly builds up a root or vine based DOTs into your characters and then uses their turns to attack their sanity

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
So I want to get this but I do not an Epic Game Store account nor do I really ever intend to get one. Are there any plans for a Switch port like how the first game originally got? My understanding is that it's EGS exclusive, but I have no idea if that's a timed exclusive (in which case Steam or GOG when), or if that exclusivity is only in the context of computers and if console ports are still on the table.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Dismas you dog

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

blizzardvizard posted:

Dismas you dog

That bloodthirsty trait told us it would happen.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Pants Donkey posted:

That said Death’s Door on enemies feels like it misses the point of why Death’s Door was a cool mechanic (helped mitigate bad luck and added tension to fights)
I generally thought all of the options to make the game less difficult in DD1 (like turning off heart attacks or whatever) were stupid, but if RH ever introduces a checkbox to turn off Death's Door on enemies I will smash that bitch until my wrist breaks. One of the only genuinely terrible ideas I have seen them come out with.

Also my latest run came to an ignominious and hilarious end when I met the Dreaming General. I was very tired and did not think the battle strategy through in a logical way and I ate poo poo incredibly fast. loving love this game. just because the tentacle tells you it's invulnerable doesn't mean you should ignore it...

blizzardvizard posted:

Dismas you dog

lmao

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Had kind of a funny run where the plague doctor, grave robber and Dismas were all best buds and constantly helping each other out, but they all loving hated Baristan for some reason, despite him constantly defending them. This led to Baristan constantly being at no less than 7-8 stress because the rest of the party, who rarely got above 4, were constantly talking poo poo at him

He ended up going down a stress spiral and dying a little ways before the third inn, but the remaining three were such tight bros that they managed to carry each other through. Picked up the Hellion at the inn and made it to the final boss, but got stomped real hard. That run was worth a whole bunch of Hope levels at least.

Any tips on using the Runaway? She feels a lot more position-restricted than the other classes, but her only movement skill moves her backwards.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD

Hulk Krogan posted:

Picked up the Hellion at the inn

Oh, if you lose somebody, you can replace them at the next inn?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Crasical posted:

Oh, if you lose somebody, you can replace them at the next inn?

You get a random unit, no choice.