Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

KillHour posted:

https://www.amazon.com/Adams-Iron-R...aps%2C66&sr=8-5

Something like that?

Edit:

This seems to be better rated but I'm not sure why it's cherry scented?

https://www.amazon.com/CarPro-Remov...C94&sr=8-5&th=1

Because the normal stuff smells like a trailer park septic dump site.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

the spyder posted:

Because the normal stuff smells like a trailer park septic dump site.

Cherry it is.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I used dragons breath and it’s loving disgusting. But seems great

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Because iron removers smell like absolute poo poo. CarPro IronX is a safe bet. Personally I prefer Bilt Hamber stuff, but it's not easily available in the US.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

KillHour posted:

What's the "correct" way to remove a poo poo ton of brake dust? The dust itself is abrasive so I don't want to spread it around with a microfiber, but it also won't really come off without some kind of mechanical action. Soap doesn't really seem to help at all.
I use this on my fancy JDM wheels. Never had an issue. The iron remove works well for embedded particles, but for your every day wash I'd start here.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FADI37E

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear
Is Sonax still a thing? I used it happily for years. They recommended using a gentle boar bristle brush for the fiddly bits near the wheel bolts

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

They are, I just find them to be a bit high priced. There's plenty of iron removes on the market and if you see the colour change from green to purple it's probably the same chemicals in all of them. At least I haven't found a big performance difference.

Been a fan of the Blackfire brand lately, they seem to have nice big bottles for decent prices.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Sonax full effect all day

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
I just recently bought a new VW Passat wagon in 'Deep black' (pearlescent black), and am wondering about getting it either ceramic coated or some form of paint protection.

My previous vw had a paint protection layer added by the dealership, called 'protektiv' that did seem to make washing super easy, and keeping it looking pretty decent. I don't know if it really stopped stone chips any better, but it certainly seemed to shrug off dust and grime pretty well.

I drive a lot, and this is my only car - I'd like to keep it looking good, and I realise all the extra work typically involved with a black car.

I was wondering if the thread had any opinion on either Protektiv as a product, or if I should look at something better? I tend to hand wash my car every week. Also if I don't go with some form of paint protection, what's the best way to wash and care for a black car? Happy to the cash for a decent paint protection, but I'm pretty ignorant to what's snake oil and what is actually worthwhile.

edit: I'm also Australian, so I don't know if the brand names here link up exactly with the US.

Thanks!

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

If you find a shop that does the GTechniq stuff they back their trained installers work with a nine year warranty on the coating.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
Long ago I bought an Integra from my brother. He painted houses at the time. The interior door panels, particularly the driver's door panel, have always had spots of white latex paint that I have never been able to remove. I have tried Magic Erasers, drill brushes, different types of cleaners, all with no results. Today I sprayed down the panel with Simple Green and blasted everything with my McCulloch steamer and those itty bitty white dots practically ran away from me. Victory at last!

I rattle canned some winter wheels. I imagine they will need to go on their respective cars in about a month. At that point will it be OK to put some ceramic wax on them? Sooner?

Is that iron remover stuff useful for cleaning that black stuff that accumulates on the inside of wheel barrels? Are they a valid substitute for clay bars?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
anyone who used the cerakote trim wipes have anything good to say about the longevity of it after 6+ months?

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

BraveUlysses posted:

anyone who used the cerakote trim wipes have anything good to say about the longevity of it after 6+ months?

I bought a case of the Cerakote trim wipes (oops) this spring and put it on all exterior plastic on my F150. The sheen slowly faded to a nice matte finish and it has not faded past that. I don't have much feedback otherwise - I'm going to try them on my Rx-7's this winter as I detail them.

the spyder fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Oct 27, 2021

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

BraveUlysses posted:

I've had Cerakote on the black plastic trim (like 2/3 of the total surface area of the car) on my 2004 CR-V for about three months and it still looks really good and beads water. The trim on this car was completely trashed (almost white in some places) and the Cerakote helped immensely.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Krud Kutters original stuff works great for latex paint, and they have one specifically for removing latex paint if the regular stuff doesn't loosen it. I keep a bottle of it handy for after painting for whatever drop I didn't see until I was done.

Os Furoris
Aug 19, 2002

What’s the recommendation for a cheap and cheerful pressure washer for foam cannon duty? My hose isn’t cutting it.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Os Furoris posted:

What’s the recommendation for a cheap and cheerful pressure washer for foam cannon duty? My hose isn’t cutting it.

This little dude has been awesome for dedicated car washing duty. Per testing, it actually delivers a decent GPM - which the smaller ryobi/sun Joe do not.

https://www.amazon.com/Westinghouse-ePX3000-High-Performance-Electric-Pressure/dp/B083B2M9NT

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

I have the big Ryobi electric unit and it works pretty well. It has certainly been more reliable than my old gas-powered unit. Whatever unit you get, I recommend springing for some quick disconnect hose ends and a better hose. I have a Flexzilla that is very easy to coil up and put away. Maybe my favorite thing about an electric pressure washer is that I can just unplug it and drag it into the basement for winter.

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

the spyder posted:

I bought a case (oops) this spring and put it on all exterior plastic on my F150. The sheen slowly faded to a nice matte finish and it has not faded past that. I don't have much feedback otherwise - I'm going to try them on my Rx-7's this winter as I detail them.

Which brand did you buy?

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
I read about the Cerakote trim wipes when I first discovered this thread and tried them before I read any non goon reviews.

They work great, but I wish I got a slightly more even coat. I used them on a new car and it greatly helps keep the black trim clean.

The non goon reviews say beware on using them on any plastic that's previously been treated with anything else, carefully applicate on a pristine surface as evenly as possible, they start out dripping wet and that gives a different coat then a wipe at the end of it's life.

This new Mazda has seen me spend at least $300 on foam gun, buckets and products. I've caught the detail bug.

Quaint Quail Quilt fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Oct 27, 2021

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

When it rains my backup camera becomes almost useless because it's so blurry from all the water on it. I'm wondering if something like Aquapel on the lens would help.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Mr. Apollo posted:

When it rains my backup camera becomes almost useless because it's so blurry from all the water on it. I'm wondering if something like Aquapel on the lens would help.
I Rain-X'd my Nest doorbell for the same reason, it worked well.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I wanted to rain x my shower screen but someone told me it might be toxic or something in that situation. Don’t suppose anyone knows?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Bape Culture posted:

I wanted to rain x my shower screen but someone told me it might be toxic or something in that situation. Don’t suppose anyone knows?

I Aquapel'd our shower glass and it's held up wonderfully for a couple years now. I'm not dead so ???

Scott808
Jul 11, 2001

Bape Culture posted:

Rain-X makes a shower door product - https://www.rainx.com/product/rain-x-shower-door-water-repellent/

If you look at the SDS for the regular auto window coating and the shower door coating the hazardous components are the same.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Krakkles posted:

I Rain-X'd my Nest doorbell for the same reason, it worked well.
Cool, thanks.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I bought the Cerakote wipes. I am not a fan - especially not on black bumper bits. Was a mess honestly and hard to work with IMO. BUT I used them on gray plastic on a Bongo van and I still see the new owner on IG - it has retained the silky matte finish from the cerakote there or at least looks the same as when I did it.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Suggestion for Cerakote if you're unsure how it will work for you: if your vehicle is old, take a wipe or two and some waterless wash and towels to a junkyard and see how it works out on the trim of a vehicle like yours.

The trim on my CR-V couldn't have looked any worse than it did when I started, so I did not do this.

Has anyone here tried the Duplicolor Tire Paint marketed as an alternative to tire dressing?

PBCrunch fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Oct 28, 2021

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Bape Culture posted:

do you lick the shower screen

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

everdave posted:

I bought the Cerakote wipes. I am not a fan - especially not on black bumper bits. Was a mess honestly and hard to work with IMO. BUT I used them on gray plastic on a Bongo van and I still see the new owner on IG - it has retained the silky matte finish from the cerakote there or at least looks the same as when I did it.

I found that if I had used Aerospace 303 a few weeks before, it restored the bumper trim finish and then I could seal it with the wipes. Kinda a pita, but it solved the problem of the 303 fading and the cerakote not really “restoring” finish.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

BraveUlysses posted:

Don't kinkshame.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

BraveUlysses posted:

Am I doing it wrong?!

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The wheel cleaner did a bad job of cleaning the brake dust off my wheels and a good job of leaving the rotors streaky and pitted :(

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
What the poo poo was this stuff that it can put cast iron?

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Which stuff did you use??

If you can get it in America I definitely recommend valet pro dragons breath. It takes of absolutely atrocious track brake dust and doesn’t gently caress up my fancy fancy brakes at all

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Meguair's wheel cleaner

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Are you brushing or agitating?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I thought the point was to not to have to do that. It comes off with a microfiber and water, why do I need the expensive cleaner?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
the point of the better wheel cleaners is that they actually get the wheels really, really clean but they still require you to spray it on, let it soak in for a bit and loosen up any embedded stuff, then wash and rinse the wheels off. there's no magic bullet for dealing with brake dust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

BraveUlysses posted:

there's no magic bullet for dealing with brake dust.

A decent barrel brush is the closest I've come to "magic" here. It really makes the whole process so much easier.