Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
New Verhoeven:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DW5wOtLSfPs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

feedmyleg posted:

I don't think any of that contradicts what I said.

Yeah I guess it doesn't. The wording "the hero who inspired the toy" just made my brain go to "inspired by real events" world instead of "the franchise the toy is based off of."

edit: Anyway it's interesting to see it presented like an actual Star Wars with real cinematography and all. Feels very meta.

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Oct 27, 2021

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Colonel Whitey posted:

If they’re going to give every toy story character a spin-off I won’t lie, I would watch a hard boiled noir starring Ham.

The Pig Sleep

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Charlz Guybon posted:

Dicaprio is like 45

I totally missed this but:

Yes... and? My point is that Dicaprio has a babyface and that he always just seems like an eternal 20 year old to me.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

BonoMan posted:

edit: Anyway it's interesting to see it presented like an actual Star Wars with real cinematography and all. Feels very meta.

My niece would eat an in-world Jesse show up. Little House on the Prairie meets Spirit.

confused
Oct 3, 2003

It's just business.

When I first saw the title I read it as Bayonetta. Then I saw the still image and thought, "Wow! Verhoeven directing a Bayonetta movie. That's awesome!" After my disappointment, I realized that I really need Verhoeven to do a Bayonetta movie. That would be hilariously awesome.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!
The only way Lightyear is any good is if the Toy Story of it all is only 1% of it to appease the suits and otherwise it's completely its own thing.

But probably every single feature and voicebox line the Buzz Lightyear toy has will get its own wink-wink moment and the villain will be some robot named S.I.D, and before too long passing movie posters on the escalator at AMC will be like entering an infinite regress of Cinematic Universes.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Lightyear is the movie a divorced Andy takes his bored kids to on visitation weekend, then gets disappointed that they're not into it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

BonoMan posted:

I totally missed this but:

Yes... and? My point is that Dicaprio has a babyface and that he always just seems like an eternal 20 year old to me.

That's his girlfriend du jour.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

I figure most hot celebs like Leo are using some sort of dark Dorian Gray magic anyway, having young new girlfriends probably just boosts the spellpower.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
how dare they ruin this bowie song for this trailer!!

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Dillbag posted:

Isn't that the plot of Predestination?
I'm still mad more people don't know about it. :mad:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Well..., okay!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Wait wasn't this out already?

caligulamprey posted:

Hell yeah, I wanna Paul Verhoeven Nunsploitation movie!

:nws: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-31QJXV3iA :nws:

drat this was back in May and it's still not out?

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Oct 27, 2021

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ABgqUh8M98

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread
Generic video game cutscene: the movie.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

ozmunkeh posted:

Generic video game cutscene: the movie.
I do wish there was something unique about the setting or visuals to grab me, but it just looks so “generic fantasy.”

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

amazon sure has its own distinct flavor of trash

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
I know that the WoT series has a devoted fanbase that insists that the story has a lot of depth and colour but holy poo poo that looks so cheap and generic. It basically reads like a blander LotR with a female Gandalf and goat orcs.

It's gonna have a lot of heavy lifting to do to draw in mass audiences. At least GoT had the intrigue and tiddies going for it.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

MeinPanzer posted:

It basically reads like a blander LotR with a female Gandalf and goat orcs.

Agreed, it looks dope

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

BonoMan posted:

I honestly didn't even know this was being made, but it looks great.

Pixar's Lightyear teaser:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwPL0Md_QFQ

This looks shockingly good. What the gently caress. Way better than a Buzz Lightyear movie has any rights to be. Was giving me major The Martian/Interstellar vibes while watching it.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

amazon sure has its own distinct flavor of trash

11. THOUSAND. NOTES.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Human Tornada posted:

"Tom Holland starring in the Hot Treasure Hunter".

I mean, that's what worked for Tia Carrere.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

feedmyleg posted:

Agreed, it looks dope

lol book nerd spotted.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Nah, I read the first one in high school and didn't really care for it because it was a generic Lord of the Rings knockoff. But I'm a sucker for magic and monsters and cozy taverns on-screen.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

JazzFlight posted:

I do wish there was something unique about the setting or visuals to grab me, but it just looks so “generic fantasy.”

They captured Wheel of Time perfectly.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Alhazred posted:

I mean, that's what worked for Tia Carrere.

Show me Tom Holland looking as good doing a tango with Schwarzenegger as she does and fine, he can have his own tv series too

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Thaddius the Large posted:

Show me Tom Holland looking as good doing a tango with Schwarzenegger as she does and fine, he can have his own tv series too

I don't think he's done a dance with Arnold yet but there's only one video that can be posted in reply to this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Brq-exSvB7Q

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Charlz Guybon posted:

This looks shockingly good. What the gently caress. Way better than a Buzz Lightyear movie has any rights to be. Was giving me major The Martian/Interstellar vibes while watching it.

I'm a sucker for upbeat space adventure, so they've got my interest.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Ror posted:

I don't think he's done a dance with Arnold yet but there's only one video that can be posted in reply to this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Brq-exSvB7Q

Yeah, I really should’ve known, men in drag is sacrosanct in British comedy

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGNnpVKxV6s

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

dear god

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I want to give Scott the benefit of the doubt because The Last Duel was really good (I can't believe how hard it bombed!), but listening to the bad accents in this for two hours seems like a pretty insufferable experience.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Ok well it looks like I wasn't the only one that misinterpreted the Lightyear synopsis!

https://kotaku.com/buzz-lightyear-trailer-makes-no-sense-breaks-internets-1847947531

I'd like to say this makes me feel better, but instead just makes me feel on par with an average Kotaku reader and now I feel worse.

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

i dont see how people are so confused by it considering they literalyl did the same thing 20 years ago with a saturday morning cartoon

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

i dont see how people are so confused by it considering they literalyl did the same thing 20 years ago with a saturday morning cartoon

It's just some mild confusion based on the language used in various marketing tweets and the trailer synopsis.

For instance Chris Evans said: "And just to be clear, this isn’t Buzz Lightyear the toy. This is the origin story of the human Buzz Lightyear that the toy is based on" And the other materials make the same mentions.

"This is the human that Buzz is based off of" is weird language and just triggers the kneejerk "based on true events" style interpretation that my brain defaulted to.

If you say "this is the action blockbuster that inspired the line of toys" or something like that, it makes it obvious.

But "this is the origin story of the person that inspired the toy" makes it sound like you're talking about a real (in the TS universe) person.

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Oct 28, 2021

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
I'm already at the "don't care how it fits canon, film looks good as hell" stage. It's a movie that I didn't think I needed, but that trailer looks gorgeous and fun and sure why not.

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread
Strange choice to put a song performed by a pedo in a kids movie trailer though.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

ozmunkeh posted:

Strange choice to put a song performed by a pedo in a kids movie trailer though.

Not as weird as you’d think!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

i was going to say it but it seemed self-evident