Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Mellow Seas posted:

Yeaaaaah that makes sense. Sorry, I was literally on drugs when I thought of that.

Maybe we could have a month where everybody is required to post...on drugs. :catdrugs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
a month where people are only allowed to post shellac lyrics

Aegis
Apr 28, 2004

The sign kinda says it all.

The Shortest Path posted:

It's not both, its pick one. Its stop being whiny loving hypocrites. Someone doesn't get to be an rear end in a top hat and not get hit for it and then run crying for a mod to ban their posting enemies when someone is an rear end in a top hat back. Probe and ramp both or probe and ramp neither.

I don't see this as workable. Not every situation is one of mutual fault, and not every poster (and I would argue, not really very many posters at all) who flip their poo poo bad enough to get probated is justified in doing so. I would be OK with the mods taking a both/neither approach more often than they currently do, but sometimes posters really do need to take a break and it's usually not because they were the victims of an "I'm not touching you" campaign.

And given how hard it is to get ramped, if they act out often enough to be facing serious probation time/bans then I have an even harder time believeing that the main problem is that they are being goaded into justifiably lashing out.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Not as many people abuse reports as people think, but that isn't the same as saying they don't pile up. Hell just the fact that it's always news to 90% of people that a post can only be reported once is a pretty good proof of that imho. I think some of the things proposed here would lower them in number and some would potentially raise them. It's hard to say. It's something I consider downstream of broader reforms or adjustments or whatever

I can't say I support anything that would discourage people from reporting a post, even if they're abusing them and even if said discouragement would possibly be pretty funny.

Mellow Seas posted:

Here's a dumb idea that would probably go horribly:

Go, like, a month with no D&D mods.

Maybe everything is just pretty cool and it's fine! (Probably not.)

But what it would do, is give us an opportunity to see what the problems with our group dynamic really are, absent any outside interference. Then, we can evaluate what's going wrong, and what we might want that outside interference to look like.

Mods will probably still need to exist in a technical sense, but in this scenario they could only give probes strictly to illegal/dangerous poo poo.

I'm not saying "this is what I want" or anything, but maybe something to consider.

All I can say would be "best of luck to whoever has to come in after a month of zero moderation to clean things up" given how so much of the internet without even light moderation is

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
So a peek behind the curtain for people who haven't read the A/T thread about it. Mods classify reports into one of three categories: resolved, meaning action was taken; miscellaneous, a well-meaning report that doesn't rise to the level of needing action; or bullshit, a report that is an abuse of the report system, like spamming or lying in report reason. The overwhelming majority of report bloat is must the miscellaneous category, and people don't and shouldn't get punished for those, ever.

Pobrecito
Jun 16, 2020

hasta que la muerte nos separe
make me a mod i will clear all my reports in record time and probate none

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

if mods could manage the queue from their phones, they could get through a lot of poo poo that's not worth actioning whilst pooping, i bet

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Lib and let die posted:

poo poo please

e: if we can get a list together of all the paywall-filtered words, i can do a quick find/replace on the source file. I'm also excluding the following words, which can be appended: "post", "thread","posting", "user put", "poster", "USER PUT ", "probation", " USER PUT", " USER PUT "

It's amazing, thank you

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008

Lib and let die posted:

poo poo please

e: if we can get a list together of all the paywall-filtered words, i can do a quick find/replace on the source file. I'm also excluding the following words, which can be appended: "post", "thread","posting", "user put", "poster", "USER PUT ", "probation", " USER PUT", " USER PUT "

if the sa store ever comes back i'd get this on a shirt

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
At this point, there's such an incredible lack of trust in the moderation system that the only way to combat it is to make the system more transparent.

Add more filters to Leper's Colony, such as forum and the moderator issuing the probation.

Give people a way to track the status of reports they send, including the ability to know why a specific report did not result in a probation.

Make it so that multiple posters can report a post.

Add a little message underneath reported posts like "this post was reported by 2 posters".

Add an "appeal" button where a user can appeal a probation issued on their account, and an admin other than the one who approved the initial probation has to act as a second set of eyes on it. Limit the number of appeals to X per month or something to prevent abuse.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Korean Boomhauer posted:

if the sa store ever comes back i'd get this on a shirt

A beach towel to surpass :10bux: beach towel

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

At this point, there's such an incredible lack of trust in the moderation system that the only way to combat it is to make the system more transparent.

Add more filters to Leper's Colony, such as forum and the moderator issuing the probation.

Give people a way to track the status of reports they send, including the ability to know why a specific report did not result in a probation.

Add a little message underneath reported posts like "this post was reported by 2 posters".

Add an "appeal" button where a user can appeal a probation issued on their account, and an admin other than the one who approved the initial probation has to act as a second set of eyes on it. Limit the number of appeals to X per month or something to prevent abuse.

I like some of this like the way multiple reports would be handled, but it's probably a lot of work on the back end and something of a long term goal, and astral has their plate full I'd bet. I dunno I'm not a code guy, I just know I press F12 sometimes on accident and get scared. Definitely prefer the hardware stuff, nice and tactile.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

this sounds absolutely miserable for mods to have to deal with other than the "make it so multiple people can report the same post" as fool of sound mentioned it might improve report review

It sounds like there are already users that PM mods demanding to know why their reports didn't result in a probation. Why should that be encouraged by having a formal system and extended to include appeals?

If it's a problem that users try to game the system and rules to get mods to take action to win arguments, this would just make that far worse

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Fritz the Horse posted:

this sounds absolutely miserable for mods to have to deal with other than the "make it so multiple people can report the same post" as fool of sound mentioned it might improve report review

It sounds like there are already users that PM mods demanding to know why their reports didn't result in a probation. Why should that be encouraged by having a formal system and extended to include appeals?

If it's a problem that users try to game the system and rules to get mods to take action to win arguments, this would just make that far worse

Yeah, the "lack of trust" seems to be primarily from disgruntled posters obsessively pissed about well-deserved probes.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

Issue is everything with lepers colony and the probation system is all radium code, like it's literally a system he handcoded for the forums that physically should not be possible and somehow works. chooch or Jeff had said before that any real edits with that code is very iffy, because if something doesn't work well it tends to take the forums down as Donny goes nuts trying to write a report message.

Best example of how fucky it is is that sa support bot makes a new thread that is for each report that is made, and if you accidently probe him (like t Finn did) it crashes the forums as Donny tries to make a new thread and can't. The report and probe system is a system that should not work, should not exist, and somehow radium created it and it somehow has worked for 12 years without him here.

navigation
Sep 30, 2009

Grooglon posted:

I've seen folks in this thread passionately argue both that D&D regulars need to learn how to deal with harsh tones AND D&D regulars need to stop posting with harsh tones. If we assume that the answer is not for D&D regs to always be nice while everyone else gets to always be mean, I'm not sure what the takeaway is here except that everyone has an opinion.

The difference is that in D&D condescension can be done continuously, forever, with no punishment, because probing "Listen, gentle child, I'm trying to help you" requires a more subjective evaluation than probing "hey friends I'm here to say that you all view concentration camps as a necessary evil and that makes you monsters". Mods get enough poo poo, why would they want to stick their neck out to probe things that have essentially the same tone as what a million newsletters and opinion pieces have these days? And I presume that that stuff doesn't get reported so they probably don't see it anyways.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
This is something awful, some light condescension and rudeness is allowed provided it's not overbearing and the post is funny, interesting, or informative. Also, "you're a childish rear end in a top hat" is a lot less condescending and rude than "you love it when minorities die".

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

UCS Hellmaker posted:

Issue is everything with lepers colony and the probation system is all radium code, like it's literally a system he handcoded for the forums that physically should not be possible and somehow works. chooch or Jeff had said before that any real edits with that code is very iffy, because if something doesn't work well it tends to take the forums down as Donny goes nuts trying to write a report message.

Best example of how fucky it is is that sa support bot makes a new thread that is for each report that is made, and if you accidently probe him (like t Finn did) it crashes the forums as Donny tries to make a new thread and can't. The report and probe system is a system that should not work, should not exist, and somehow radium created it and it somehow has worked for 12 years without him here.

Horizon: Zero Goon

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Also only dnd and occasionally qcs tend to consistantly get enough reports to make the kludged system an issue. I think gbs had an issue with the cursed image thread throwing up a ton of "no image" reports but I think they've got people to cut thay out now.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

UCS Hellmaker posted:

there's a dedicated thread in A/T that shows off what the mod tools look like

the report queue is literally a forum. a bot posts a new thread for every report. the OP of this new thread contains a link to the post, the reporter's name, the report reason, and an iframe (that doesn't work in any of the mobile apps) containing a preview of just the one post that was reported

mods clear the report by posting in the thread that it's been dealt with or doesn't need to be dealt with

every day or two, an admin comes around and manually looks at each of those threads to see if they've had a mod decision posted, and then moves them to archival forums

the whole thing probably hasn't been touched by a coder in ten years, and probably won't ever be. the system works fine for small numbers of reports and only a few forums get more than a half-dozen reports a day

it's possible to do reports and other mod stuff on the phone if you use the regular browser instead of the app, but it's more difficult to check and compare related reports that way, so i didn't like doing it for anything anyone gave a crap about

the closest thing to filtering options is that mods could use regular forums search on the reports forum to see how often someone makes reports or gets reported (the report text itself wasn't picked up by search, tho)

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

fool of sound posted:

Also only dnd and occasionally qcs tend to consistantly get enough reports to make the kludged system an issue. I think gbs had an issue with the cursed image thread throwing up a ton of "no image" reports but I think they've got people to cut thay out now.

lol what, wow, why do people report posts in QCS?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

500 good dogs posted:

Lots of people are reporting posts in this thread even though every single D&D mod is reading it.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

fool of sound posted:

Lots of people are reporting posts in this thread even though every single D&D mod is reading it.

"well i demand to speak to the regional manager, then!"

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

500 good dogs posted:

imagining someone furiously reporting people in qcs, thinking that smythe literally ever reads his report queue

just lmao at the very idea

navigation
Sep 30, 2009

fool of sound posted:

This is something awful, some light condescension and rudeness is allowed provided it's not overbearing and the post is funny, interesting, or informative. Also, "you're a childish rear end in a top hat" is a lot less condescending and rude than "you love it when minorities die".

Yeah, that's what I said; condescension in every post is okay here. The normal "hey, gently caress off with that poo poo" that you'd appropriately get elsewhere in life doing that on the other hand is not allowed.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Deteriorata posted:

Yeah, the "lack of trust" seems to be primarily from disgruntled posters obsessively pissed about well-deserved probes.

it is a long-standing problem i've noted for a while

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Jazerus posted:

imagining someone furiously reporting people in qcs, thinking that smythe literally ever reads his report queue

just lmao at the very idea

smythe mods from instinct, it's a thing of beauty and terror, but it's also succinct and clear.

quote:

Annoyed me. User loses posting privileges for 1 day.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

fool of sound posted:

just incredible

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

fool of sound posted:

I just cannot understand someone like that

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

What would even be the purpose of reporting a post in this thread lmao

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

fool of sound posted:

This made me laugh harder than anything in this thread so far.
Holy gently caress.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
I think we should all get the satisfaction of knowing who is reporting people.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

fool of sound posted:

lol

lmao

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Tbh it wasn't until today that it wasn't a raging scream pit of.trying to own posting enemies, also maybe an attempt to see if the admins are paying attention? gently caress knows. Literally the discussion is 100x less toxic in the last few hours compared to before

I like to report a post every now and then just literally saying to the mod looking at it hey how are you? poo poo sucks have a laugh, or the one I did to a mod saying "guess what fucker I can report your posts :getin:" I miss pastry :unsmith:

Sometimes doing something silly can at least be funny for everyone

Sidenote, fos this is something I do like, the mod discord is actually really nice. The forum pm service is a known garbage that is not likely to get fixed, and honestly being able to talk to any of the mods or iks directly on stuff is beneficial. Beetus and me have talked fairly often and it's been useful at defusing some stuff or reaching a common ground before I do something stupid. I enjoy talking to gjb and getting a better idea of some stuff that arent really possible or just bouncing things off him to see if it might need to Ed down. Having the mod discord can allow for a talk or a quick pm of hey I might get heated and I want to know if I'm specifically in the wrong here. I feel that it's something that arguably should be used more because it can help defuse some of the more bad parts of some of the feedback threads. Specially because it just seems easier overall.

UCS Hellmaker fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Oct 28, 2021

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Here’s some insight, speaking sincerely: It either makes the forum slightly better or it reinforces the idea that the rules-based forum order is applied selectively. It takes no time to do and it’s advised in the forum rules. Besides that it mollifies butthurt from bullshit probations (which is something that ticks people off however long they are) and acts as a stress relief valve whether anything happens or not. It’s better than responding to the worst posts in anger — this is why it says in the rules to report a post and move on rather than respond with coarse language.

Everyone here is deeply weird enough and cares enough to be posting in a thread about forum moderation so it’s surprising that people are surprised.

If you don’t like reading reports, why would you agree to be a moderator? Is there anything else to be done?

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

fool of sound posted:

Anyways it might be worth a shot moving USPol/News to CCCC if that's going to be more casual chat and you want D&D to have more in-depth discussions/dives on topics. Either that or maybe a post timer on the thread to encourage moving to the other threads.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

I'll give you some satisfaction: I did report 1 post ITT. It was a prior post of yours for using an ableist phrase:

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Admins need to soak in the marinade of USPol for 3 months to get a feel for it's culture. It's rough edges, and smooth brain posts. The smell of youthful edge and old derision mixing to form posting unlike anywhere else.

Apparently, the mods didn't take as much offense to it as they do the r word :shrug:

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

mawarannahr posted:

Here’s some insight, speaking sincerely: It either makes the forum slightly better or it reinforces the idea that the rules-based forum order is applied selectively. It takes no time to do and it’s advised in the forum rules. Besides that it mollifies butthurt from bullshit probations (which is something that ticks people off however long they are) and acts as a stress relief valve whether anything happens or not. It’s better than responding to the worst posts in anger — this is why it says in the rules to report a post and move on rather than respond with coarse language.

Everyone here is deeply weird enough and cares enough to be posting in a thread about forum moderation so it’s surprising that people are surprised.

If you don’t like reading reports, why would you agree to be a moderator? Is there anything else to be done?

Hahahah what the Christ. Just ignore it and move on you weirdo you don't have to report things.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Kalit posted:

I'll give you some satisfaction: I did report 1 post ITT. It was a prior post of yours for using an ableist phrase:

Apparently, the mods didn't take as much offense to it as they do the r word :shrug:

Yeah "smooth brain" is an actual medical condition. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lissencephaly

"Hug box" is also not great and refers to a therapeutic device for calming autistic people with hypersensitivity https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hug_machine

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

Eminent Domain posted:

Anyways it might be worth a shot moving USPol/News to CCCC if that's going to be more casual chat and you want D&D to have more in-depth discussions/dives on topics. Either that or maybe a post timer on the thread to encourage moving to the other threads.

Honestly cccc needs to be looked at as a whole for what the admins want to use it for, because there's likely a ton of threads site wide here cspam games gbs that all could go there. Tossing uspol there however won't fix anything and arguably just tosses some of the issues into whoever is forced to mod that thread in cccc, and if it's an Ik feelings of mod bias or abuse would be even worse.

Tossing the thread into what amount to an isolated island is likely to make issues worse in that thread and island, and not really fix anything here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

How are u posted:

Maybe we could have a month where everybody is required to post...on drugs. :catdrugs:

I'm sorry but that's just "every month"

e: I mean I don't know how anyone else is currently coping but