Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

animist
Aug 28, 2018
wait I thought guam could flip over if you put too much weight on it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

I had a big civil war phase as a kid and I'm still learning from most of this. A lot of the mainstream history is just bad.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I definitely didn't get a play-by-play in public school

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Yeah, my civil war / reconstruction education was awful in high school in AP history. Like yeah it's high school so no complaints about detail stuff but it was VERY both-sides-y, and this wasn't even in the south it was in Denver.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

My Denver high school history teacher didn't really cover the civil war at all, he seemed to think it just wasn't very interesting. I don't think I even recognized the confederate flag until well into adulthood.

He was more angry that we stole Colorado from Mexico and wanted to teach us all about that.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

pangstrom posted:

Yeah, my civil war / reconstruction education was awful in high school in AP history. Like yeah it's high school so no complaints about detail stuff but it was VERY both-sides-y, and this wasn't even in the south it was in Denver.

In VT our civil war stuff was heavy on the evils of slavery, the underground railroad, economics of cotton, Lincoln as a person, etc. but very little on the "war" stuff so they could both sides the CSA and not make the kids at the nearby school that had a literal confederate soldier mascot uncomfortable

and the reconstruction lessons were pure dunning school nonsense

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

pangstrom posted:

I grew up in VA and it was about the same. My teachers all mentioned that slavery was a big part of the civil war but not the only factor. Also outside of talking about carpetbaggers we didn't really go into the topic of reconstruction.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
A lot of it is just coastal focus, on the DC vs Virginia stuff, Atlantic seaboard and maybe a bit of Ohio/Kentucky/Tennessee

Then suddenly Sherman's in Atlanta and the history book just neglects to mention the entire western front and all the fortresses along the Mississippi, not unlike how the eastern front in WW1 is ignored

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
My high school was named after Wade Hampton III lol

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
I grew up in Kansas, and Bleeding Kansas only came up briefly despite being the subject of the largest painting in the state house and the city crest of Lawrence featuring a burning building.

I'm glad John pointed out the bias on Wikipedia, because I'm reading through some of the articles he mentioned and lmao

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

I know our Illinois textbook had a big section on carpet baggers for the reconstruction era. About the only thing I remember.

I've read McPherson and a little Fornier and I'm learning lots of good stuff from this series.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

chiming in in agreement that this civil war series is very good, my civil war public school education was not very good, and this is the best podcast

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Unironically hoping this is a 20+ part series on the civil war.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Unironically hoping this is a 20+ part series on the civil war.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

yessssss

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

:sickos:

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/CarlZha/status/1453036141314142212

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

lmao

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

I wanted to get his take on the Chinese pop culture bans, but after two episodes he only managed to finish introducing his guest.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

The Carl Zha cut, and it's just 8 hours of him talking.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

who does he think he is, annibale????

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

"i think this might have to be split into two episodes"

[it would take six long episodes]

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

I hope the carl zha series breaks down the whole chinese civil war from the beginning because I don't think they've really talked about it beyond the WW2 context and it's super interesting

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames

Pryor on Fire posted:

He was more angry that we stole Colorado from Mexico and wanted to teach us all about that.

did he forget about those other mexican states america took lmao

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Goast posted:

did he forget about those other mexican states america took lmao

it was possibly colorado history only. everyone in texas has a full year of texas history in seventh grade

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Listening to the latest civil war episode, taking a look around me at the current state of things and having a little chuckle.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
everybody saying it but this civil war series is so good

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
new Carl Zha episode is out on the feed

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Carl Zha more like Carl Yea I'll listen to multiple parts on the subject. Lots of cool poo poo I didn't know about in the one.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

net work error posted:

Carl Zha more like Carl Yea I'll listen to multiple parts on the subject. Lots of cool poo poo I didn't know about in the one.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

only very tangentially related to radio war nerd but nymag has some dumb article out about matt taibbi: https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2021/10/what-happened-to-matt-taibbi.html not really worth reading except for this quote from ames.

quote:

Taibbi and Ames would have a bitter falling out; the two haven’t spoken in almost 20 years. Taibbi left The eXile several years before it folded in 2008, heading back to America to further his journalism career. Ames declined to comment for this story. “This sounds too depressing,” he said. “Good luck with it.”

lol

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Yasha Levine posted:

“I’ve said everything I wanted to say about Matt in what I’ve written about him,” said former eXile editor Yasha Levine, who recently criticized Taibbi for belonging to the “new reactionary right.” “Matt and his career trajectory are just too sad and pathetic to waste any more of my time on. American political culture is cursed. What the gently caress is the point?"

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

lol yeah i really like the old exiled guys' transparent contempt for both the journalist and taibbi it's very funny

would like an actual Rise of Mao series, though, there's so many completely insane stories in that guy's bio and some of the military feats the CPC pulled off just boggle the mind

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
https://twitter.com/mtaibbi/status/1455273365594382336?s=20

lmao

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

lol yasha rules and is on point.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

America's culture war is so loving stupid.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

was Taibbi ever chased out of a country like Dolan or Ames.

He really seems like the least cancelled eXiled alum by that metric.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
he got one of his podcasts canceled once

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Like many other gen xers tabbi's brain got broken by the concept of cancel culture.