Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

The way that we do soft-boiled here in Malaysia keeps them almost liquid. My personal method is:
- boil water
- take water off heat
- put in 2 eggs for 3 minutes
- take out eggs, put in cool water
- crack in bowl, mix with light soy sauce and white pepper

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Worst part of living at an altitude of 7k feet isn’t how everything takes 25% longer to cook. It’s that nothing ever really browns right in the oven, it’ll dry up way before you get a Maillard Reaction.

Otana
Jun 1, 2005

Let's go see what kind of trouble we can get into.

Yolo Swaggins Esq posted:

I can't work out how to post an Instagram video here, so
have a sip

"And yes, it tastes as good as it looks!" :stonklol:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Looks more like something's gone moldy or rotten, though far be it from me to suggest the New York Post does not exercise journalistic diligence.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

My Lovely Horse posted:

Looks more like something's gone moldy or rotten, though far be it from me to suggest the New York Post does not exercise journalistic diligence.

They do say he claims, so it's a step above what it could be.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

:yosbutt::gas:

https://i.imgur.com/f83cDqv.mp4

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset

Aardvark! posted:

i wont cross-post the other atrocities but these fajitas from a place in New Hampshire belong in this thread

Goondolences. I once had "Mexican" food in Newfoundland and it looked about as horrifying as that. I have no idea why anyone would try, it's just going to be the worst kind of bland but maybe it's exotic to them. It's been a decade since I lived there and there were plenty of authentic Indian, Chinese, Thai and Japanese places to get actual spices and flavors. I guess the people going to the "Mexican" place weren't looking for flavor though.

I once went to the only Taco Bell in St. John's and their menu was limited to tacos, burritos and nachos. It was actually creepy. Just beans, taco meat, cheese and tortillas in various bland combinations. Not even a jalapeno to be found.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ibblebibble posted:

The way that we do soft-boiled here in Malaysia keeps them almost liquid. My personal method is:
- boil water
- take water off heat
- put in 2 eggs for 3 minutes
- take out eggs, put in cool water
- crack in bowl, mix with light soy sauce and white pepper

That sounds like a recipe for warm raw eggs which sounds possibly like the worst food in the world, if someone had not also invented balut.

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset

Captain DIEgiene posted:

Don't even get me started on floor pizza

Listen, if you're living the floor pizza life your GI tract is already in the 300 movie universe, but also you gotta pay attention to the pizza, is this some fancy pizza with veggies or is it extra, extra pepperoni?

Because I've eaten the extra pepperoni floor pizza and been just fine. It's all the loving salt and preservatives that makes it ok for longer. Anything that takes it to a moist situation topping-wise, you want to avoid that if it's under 6-12 hours.

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

There are things that don't hold up well. I've found a lot of real Chinese food is not great re-heated. Even the stuff that re-heats okay has a significant drop-off.

Probably because Chinese food is generally cooked in woks. High heat, short cooking times and an emphasis on texture will not make for good leftovers. Even dishes supposed to be served cold often depend heavily on texture.

A while back I had beef tripe with cucumber and chili in a restaurant. It looked beautiful and was fantastic. The next day it became clear exactly how important the texture of the freshly cut cucumber was to the dish. And it didn't look great:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

empty sea posted:

Goondolences. I once had "Mexican" food in Newfoundland and it looked about as horrifying as that. I have no idea why anyone would try, it's just going to be the worst kind of bland but maybe it's exotic to them. It's been a decade since I lived there and there were plenty of authentic Indian, Chinese, Thai and Japanese places to get actual spices and flavors. I guess the people going to the "Mexican" place weren't looking for flavor though.

I once went to the only Taco Bell in St. John's and their menu was limited to tacos, burritos and nachos. It was actually creepy. Just beans, taco meat, cheese and tortillas in various bland combinations. Not even a jalapeno to be found.

Tex mex/Nm mex is fantastic there. Anywhere else you basically need food focusing on a Mexican from Mexico cuisine where the staff are speaking Spanish or it will be poo poo. There’s a lot more asian immigrants in Canada, that’s why they outnumber good mexican.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Me

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

"Bleeding the excess sexy at the sexy arse factory" [colourised] circa 2021

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

I'm sure it tastes fine, but it scares me. It has legs ... too many legs.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/9xNevzN.gifv
Sound

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

oof when I see his vids
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bY-RhGZ-OM

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Via a friend:

The promise:

The reality:

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Inspired by the thread, left out a couple of eggs for half an hour, then brought up water to a boil, left the eggs in at medium-high for six minutes

Then left them in just regular sink-cold water while prepping classic cheap-rear end ramen, everything came together quite nicely:

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Hard-boiled eggs:

1) fly to Japan
2) get to Yunomine Onsen
3)

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

gschmidl posted:

Hard-boiled eggs:

1) fly to Japan
2) get to Yunomine Onsen
3)

this is what billionaires actually have their assistants do

Seriously I've seen the real wealthy's families post online about just popping over to Paris from NYC for a day trip.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

https://twitter.com/FoodInsider/status/1452987647182446604

The food trend of ridiculous amounts of molten cheese pretending to be a sandwich so it's a spectacle when it explodes continues.

I wonder if anyone is ever going to take that trend and serve people like an inflated sheep's bladder full of tomato bisque and demand that you eat it with a fork. Just foods that explode into messy goo other than cheese.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

SlothfulCobra posted:

The food trend of ridiculous amounts of molten cheese pretending to be a sandwich so it's a spectacle when it explodes continues.

I wonder if anyone is ever going to take that trend and serve people like an inflated sheep's bladder full of tomato bisque and demand that you eat it with a fork. Just foods that explode into messy goo other than cheese.

I love burgers and cheese more than almost anything else, and that's a loving travesty, a complete waste of both :rip:

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

SlothfulCobra posted:

Seems like an awful lot of gimmick foods end up as wet lumps you eat with a fork and knife after the initial presentation

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I would simply not put hot exploding cheese in my mouth

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

Burger cordon blue with camembert instead of butter and no ham. I wouldn't eat it like a burger but its probably really really good. Or is it burger kiev with camenbert instead of butter? I dunno I just buy those frozen things every once in a while if they're on sale.

Sekhmnet has a new favorite as of 21:33 on Oct 27, 2021

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Sakurazuka posted:

I would simply not put hot exploding cheese in my mouth

I would not recommend it. Cheese burns hurt.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
gently caress all food that is better suited to the 'gram than to someone's mouth

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Sekhmnet posted:

Burger cordon blue with camembert instead of butter and no ham. I wouldn't eat it like a burger but its probably really really good. Or is it chicken kiev with camenbert instead of butter? I dunno I just buy those frozen things every once in a while if they're on sale.

Cheese stuffed burgers are a thing, like the Jucy Lucy. They're just a much more reasonable amount of cheese. Here in Chicago the WWE wrestler Victoria opened a restaurant focused around them but it didn't last

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

more falafel please posted:

Cheese stuffed burgers are a thing, like the Jucy Lucy. They're just a much more reasonable amount of cheese. Here in Chicago the WWE wrestler Victoria opened a restaurant focused around them but it didn't last

I'm aware, but the amount of 'burger' in what we're talking about seems to be minimal compared to the breading and the cheese inside, so its more like one of those 'fancy' chicken things.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

SlothfulCobra posted:

I like eating breaded and fried camenbert. But it should not melt like that. The breaded camenbert sold at aldi somehow looks better then that joke.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah I was gonna say that that looked way too thin for camembert and theres no way it's that liquid at a temperature someone could bite in to without ending up at A&E.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
A lot of these newfangled burgs are good ideas ruined by being way too big and messy to eat.

Place by hear does one with fried jalapeño, shrimp, pepper jack, some kind of chipotle mayo, and onions, it'd be great. But there's way too much poo poo on there. Cut the shrimp and peppers by like 50% and drop all the regular toppings, except maybe the pickles, and use a patty that fits in the buns. Also stop buttering the outside of the bun so that your hands turn nasty. Butter the goddam insides and quickly toast.

I ordered a sandwich with beef, fried peppers and shrimp, not a standard burger with sides of same.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

Tony Hawk lookin' rough.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

gschmidl posted:

The promise:

The reality:

There was a TV show in Australia about advertising and related stuff, and they had a segment called "Product versus Packshot" which was a lot of this, and taught me an industry term.

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
I made "reverse hot cocoa", marshmallows with malt/ovaltine and milk powder replacing most of the sugar.

It looks like a building material, but it tastes like a warm rich malty butterscotch drink.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Decoy Badger posted:

I made "reverse hot cocoa", marshmallows with malt/ovaltine and milk powder replacing most of the sugar.

It looks like a building material, but it tastes like a warm rich malty butterscotch drink.

It sounds good. Ovaltine was my childhood chocolate powder of choice. But drat if it doesn't look like you made dessert dwarf bread.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I have questions

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

Maybe playing in the corn silo simulator is just a plain old bad idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
"The Corn Pit" also happens to be my favorite place of private entertainment