Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Nate, use your super power of being a white man in 1925! Welcome back show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Makeovers for all!

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
“Taking Courier. Beer run. -Rory”

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

This is how Gideon becomes a real girl isn't it?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Oh my

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Maximum Chaos mode engaged

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
AHAHAHAH they used the convenient anime titty blocking glare.

Also, calling it now: one of the women on the team is gonna try to impersonate Hoover, possibly via a spell, and it's gonna create the "J. Edgar in a dress" thing

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

This felt like an all-time classic episode. I wasn't sure how I'd like them being stuck in a certain time period, but it was fun to see everyone's reactions to that.

Ava and Sara continue to be one of the healthiest romantic relationships on TV - sometimes you just gotta let your partner do their weird routines to help cope, even if you don't understand it.

Killing J Edgar Hoover got an audible gasp out of me. I figured the tease of him dying after flying off the car was the closest we'd get to the Legends actually screwing up time.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I don't know who played the bank robber fangirl but she was excellent.

Edit: Also I like Astra and Spooner together, but I wish they'd stop banishing them to Covid land.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Oct 14, 2021

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Not gonna lie, I thought that the bank robber fan girl was part of the actual bank robber crew. How does she know that there are no women in that gang!?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
the midland gang fangirl and the town going wild over a successful robbery were fun but then the hoover death made me actually laugh out loud. good start

if zari 2.0 is gonna take a timeout then we definitely need the real og to come back tho

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

This episode was fun but really all over the place.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

muscles like this! posted:

This episode was fun but really all over the place.

Legends a lot of the time has the feel of a tabletop RPG campaign heavy on party interplay and seat of the pants weirdness leading to highly improbable outcomes. This episode did it full on.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Apparently this is going to be a full half season arc as well. They're calling it their "Odyssey".

Smart way to manage budget while also pushing the characters in a new direction.

I am sad we were denied a full on Terminator parody with Hoover. The two seconds we got of him clinging on to the top of the car were amazing.

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

I remember hating Hawk Dude more than Hawk Girl and I have no interest in refreshing my memory on season 1 to find out why.

he can gently caress right off

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Scrotum Modem posted:

I remember hating Hawk Dude more than Hawk Girl and I have no interest in refreshing my memory on season 1 to find out why.

he can gently caress right off

He was a domineering douche who gave off an even more rapey vibe for Hawkgirl than even Vandal Savage somehow did and didn't play well with the group dynamic at all. Even in Season 1, they realized quickly that he was an unsalvagable character and found any excuse they could to write him out of the show for as long as they could reasonably get away with and then ended the season on him loving off with Hawkgirl, never to be seen or referenced again.

Also his introduction to the Arrowverse is literally him dropping out of the sky and derailing a multi-episode long sub-plot on Flash where Cisco and Hawkgirl slowly fall in love (and actually had great on screen chemistry together) by him going "gently caress off, nerd, she is my reincarnated girlfriend and we are destined to fall in love with each other and gently caress over and over again until the end of time." So Cisco gets humiliated and loses the girl, and Hawkgirl gets whisked away to Legends where she spends 80% of the time there being utterly repulsed by Hawkman and then just sort of accepts his bullshit because... look, Season 1 was kind of miserable whenever Ray, Sara, Stein, Mick or Snart weren't on screen, okay.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Oct 15, 2021

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

nine-gear crow posted:

He was a domineering douche who gave off an even more rapey vibe for Hawkgirl than even Vandal Savage somehow did and didn't play well with the group dynamic at all. Even in Season 1, they realized quickly that he was an unsalvagable character and found any excuse they could to write him out of the show for as long as they could reasonably get away with and then ended the season on him loving off with Hawkgirl, never to be seen or referenced again.

This was more purposeful than you're suggesting -- Carter dies at the end of the two-part opener, and Frank Herschel was a recurring guest star, not a regular. It was never intended that he be seen as a viable romantic lead.

They bring him back a few times and don't completely trash the character because ~*lore but so much of that first season is about saying "gently caress you" to destiny/fate/whatever.

That they somehow wander off together in the finale seems to have come about as an easy way to write our Hawkgirl so much as anything. Even then the show's last word on the subject is at their expense (and is genuinely funny too).

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Just watched the premiere and it's renewed my optimism on the show; ep was dumb but it felt much more like genuine enthusiastic dumb than last season which felt like they were just trying to follow a dumbness formula. If... uh, if that makes sense.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Heh
https://twitter.com/LoTWritersRoom/status/1449047168350752775

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Hahaha holy poo poo "You want me to eat one of the most important figures of the 20th century???"

Banger of a season opener, I really didn't like last season but I'm hopeful for this one.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
New opening titles!

E: my safe word is core competency!

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Next weeks preview has me excited!

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com
I think Hawkgirl would have been fine, and maybe even Hawkman could have been salvaged, as long as only one of the two were on the show at all. Everything about them together was just the worst, but either one might have had potential as long as the other was totally out of the picture.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
The basic problem was their ever-so-tragic plot arc, they didn't get much definition beyond that.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Maxwell Lord posted:

E: my safe word is core competency!

I don't know how this isn't the thread title

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

V-Men posted:

I don't know how this isn't the thread title

Nah just make it “Core. Competency.”

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.

site posted:

the midland gang fangirl and the town going wild over a successful robbery were fun but then the hoover death made me actually laugh out loud. good start

if zari 2.0 is gonna take a timeout then we definitely need the real og to come back tho

It's weird that Zari 2.0 would want to hang out in John's pocket dimension on the outskirts of hell, rather than the "everything is chill here" pocket dimension in the totem.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.
Maybe the totem dimension doesn't have infinite spawning bourbon whiskey.

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I was pretty surprised when Hoover came back at the end of the episode, then I was really surprised when he turned out to be a Terminator-style cyborg, and then I was shocked when it pulled a Predator move and blew itself up.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The goofiest thing about this season so far is how Matt Ryan is still in the opening credits, he's in the new opening and they still haven't actually revealed in show that the scientist they're looking for is played by him.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."

muscles like this! posted:

The goofiest thing about this season so far is how Matt Ryan is still in the opening credits, he's in the new opening and they still haven't actually revealed in show that the scientist they're looking for is played by him.

He must have a great agent.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Hold on to your butts butt havers. It's time for the 100th episode. Also, wild to hear Jax in his native English accent and lol at how it's explained why he's not using his American accent.

Edit: RAY!

Edit2: SNART!!!

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Oct 28, 2021

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Gideon doing whatever the gently caress she wants in her mind scape is not without precedent

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

howe_sam posted:

Gideon doing whatever the gently caress she wants in her mind scape is not without precedent

some extremely :3: moments in this ep.

Edit: Sadly no Mick, but I'm happy they got Ray and Nora back

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Oct 28, 2021

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

They brought back Victor Garber, and they let him sing, god bless show.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
All in all good episode but it sucks that they are still using douchy showtunes guy as a vilian.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

nunsexmonkrock posted:

All in all good episode but it sucks that they are still using douchy showtunes guy as a vilian.

Yeah, not a fan of that. I hope he just get bumped off early by his Gideon and she becomes the main villain

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Xelkelvos posted:

Yeah, not a fan of that. I hope he just get bumped off early by his Gideon and she becomes the main villain

Yeah he's a red herring IMO, partly motivated by being covid convenient.

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
The new 100th episode was pretty wild bringing all of the OG Legends back inside Gideon’s memory like that, it’s just too bad they couldn’t get Hawkgirl to make an appearance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!

Vietnamwees posted:

The new 100th episode was pretty wild bringing all of the OG Legends back inside Gideon’s memory like that, it’s just too bad they couldn’t get Hawkgirl to make an appearance.

She was busy at her job as a barista.