Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
1. You can do what?

2. Wow, you weren't kidding, there's a huge amount of interesting sounding achievements

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

Sadly for every one of those achievements that's good, there's three more with weird, extremely specific requirements (Vive la France, A New Age, Civil Soldier, Tough Love) plus two more that are absurdly difficult (Transcendent God, Dead in 24 Hours, Bail Out, Invisible War) and another that's both of the above (Duel of the Fates, Laid to Rest, Unearthed Horrors)

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Grand Fromage posted:

I can't think of any game of this type where you aren't overpowered in the late game. System Shock 2 is the closest to still being hard and scary the whole way.

I think it's a clash between FPS and RPG gameplay - in RPGs you're meant to be nearly all-powerful by the end (and the final boss tends to be something scaled ridiculously to compensate). So by the end of Deus Ex yeah, you should be stomping the mooks from the start of the game. Helps that there's not a big bad to battle too.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
oh apparently the new gotg is pretty deece

i dont know what to make of that, will it get us closer to nu-dx3 and let us unravel the mystery of jensen? or will the mouse lock square-eidos into the marvel mines forever

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
lol

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Duel of the Fates: Kill Simons with the Dragon's Tooth Sword while he is wielding his own Dragon's Tooth Sword.

Tougher than it sounds, unfortunately; Simons usually sticks with the plasma gun unless he's cloaked, and he doesn't cloak until he's at low health, and I've never had much luck getting his health to "low" but not "dead"

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta

Captain Walker posted:

Duel of the Fates: Kill Simons with the Dragon's Tooth Sword while he is wielding his own Dragon's Tooth Sword.

Tougher than it sounds, unfortunately; Simons usually sticks with the plasma gun unless he's cloaked, and he doesn't cloak until he's at low health, and I've never had much luck getting his health to "low" but not "dead"

Shoot the plasma gun.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
So I finally started invisible war, months after I said I was gonna, and is the speech audio quality pretty low in general? All the voice lines sound kinda garbled on the high end like it's a lovely reencode but I dunno if it's the game or my config. The sound effects and stuff are okay though

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

fuckpot posted:

Shoot the plasma gun.

:doh:

fake e: I know you're talking about crippling his arms, but there's ANOTHER Revision cheevo (High Tech War) if you and Simons are both firing plasma guns in Area 51

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf
NPCs in Deus Ex have limited ammo, so you could probably just bait him into firing it all off from far away until he runs out.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.

Lork posted:

NPCs in Deus Ex have limited ammo, so you could probably just bait him into firing it all off from far away until he runs out.

Actuve defense system shoots down plasma bolts If lvl4. - If you are far enoigh away.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
You know, I'd heard that the losing times in IW were annoying, but I guess I didn't really know what people meant until I had to go from one side of lower Seattle to the WTO headquarters, and each zone takes only 10 seconds to run through, but there's 6 zones and each one takes 20 second to load lol

site fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Oct 28, 2021

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

The game also crashed and restarted itself during loads to alleviate a memory leak.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

00's problems require 00's solutions.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

site posted:

You know, I'd heard that the losing times in IW were annoying, but I guess I didn't really know what people meant until I had to go from one side of lower Seattle to the WTO headquarters, and each zone takes only 10 seconds to run through, but there's 6 zones and each one takes 20 second to load lol

Look for the “I-War Visible Uograde mod.” It at least makes the game more betterer.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
already installed

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
Anyone have luck playing Lady Denton with Shifter? The mod uses custom FemJC parent classes for the Player, GameInfo, and RootWindow subclasses, so it seems like getting Shifter to work would be a pain in the rear end, but I'll be goddamned if I get blamed for Anna's killing spree in Castle Clinton.

edit: tried it just now using Kentie's launcher to load Shifter before LayD. Voice lines are all messed up; the boat pilot on the starting dock uses Paul's line about "a month's supply for the East Coast."

Captain Walker fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Oct 31, 2021

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

site posted:

already installed

oh so you've already got the upgraded loading screen experience then, the one that doesn't literally shut down and restart the game at each loading screen

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Captain Walker posted:

Anyone have luck playing Lady Denton with Shifter? The mod uses custom FemJC parent classes for the Player, GameInfo, and RootWindow subclasses, so it seems like getting Shifter to work would be a pain in the rear end, but I'll be goddamned if I get blamed for Anna's killing spree in Castle Clinton.

They're not compatible for now, but the Lady D devs are working on making their mod compatible with other mods for the next version.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Lemon-Lime posted:

They're not compatible for now

What a shame, etc. It really is a good enough mod to be worth playing what's basically vanilla DX again, though. Even the new and recast NPCs are lots of fun; there's a bum on the docks in Battery Park with some interesting conspiracy theories of his own.

Butterwagon
Mar 21, 2010

Lookit that stupid ass-hole!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxyhADYCIgI

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

“JC this is a wide ranging conspiracy of plutocrats against ordinary people”
*JC suddenly has even more Monster swag on

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXMej__yTmE

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
Reached the catacombs in my fem JC playthrough. It's been probably a decade since a playthrough without the Revision maps and I had forgotten how relatively simple the Paris maps were; in Revision Denfert-Rochereau is divided into three maps and the catacombs went from "somewhat confusing" to "I never asked for this".

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

He even gets the lipsmack, holy poo poo

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
an alarming lack of respect for "I would love to be your chamber boy" itt

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Why contain it?

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Do you want paper clips? This is how you get paper clips.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

quote:

While the prospect of self-replicating biotechnology could spark concern, the researchers said that the living machines were entirely contained in a lab and easily extinguished, as they are biodegradable and regulated by ethics experts.
Their... ethical inflexibility has allowed us to make advances in areas they refuse to consider.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

jojoinnit posted:

Their... ethical inflexibility has allowed us to make advances in areas they refuse to consider.

I hope you're not underestimating the problem. The underclasses are getting desperate.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Captain Walker posted:

I hope you're not underestimating the problem. The underclasses are getting desperate.

Your turn.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Desperate

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
UNATCO?

No, Savage.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
I frequently get a weird "Connection failed" message when booting through Kentie's launcher. I guess it's trying to load my username and JC's player class as a map or a server or something, and erroring out. Is this an actual performance-affecting issue, and how do I fix it?

The log file makes it looks like something goes wrong when loading the INI:
code:
Log: Browse: INI=DeusEx.ini/Index.dx?Name=Player?Class=DeusEx.JCDentonMale
Init: WinSock: version 1.1 (2.2), MaxSocks=32767, MaxUdp=65467
Init: WinSock: Socket queue 32768 / 32768
Init: WinSock: I am WalkerPC (192.168.0.451)
Log: Resolving INI=DeusEx.ini...
DevNet: Game client on port 0, rate 20000
Log: Browse: DX.dx?Name=Player?Class=DeusEx.JCDentonMale
Log: Doing load, not loadgame
Log: Current mission number is -1, next is -1
Log: LoadMap: DX.dx?Name=Player?Class=DeusEx.JCDentonMale
Later, once the game launches:

code:
Log: Can't find host INI=DeusEx.ini (WSAHOST_NOT_FOUND)
Log: Pending connect to 'INI=DeusEx.ini/Index.dx?Name=Player?Class=DeusEx.JCDentonMale' failed; Connection failed
I briefly see the second message right as the game starts:

code:
Pending connect to 'INI=DeusEx.ini/Index.dx?Name=Player?Class=DeusEx.JCDentonMale' (F10 to cancel)
As soon as the first note of the theme kicks in, "Connection failed" appears. For what it's worth, the first few lines of my DeusEx.ini:

code:
[URL]
Protocol=deusex
ProtocolDescription=Deus Ex Protocol
Name=Player
Map=Index.dx
LocalMap=DX.dx
Host=
Portal=
MapExt=dx
SaveExt=dxs
Port=7790
Class=DeusEx.JCDentonMale

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Anyone playing Halo Infinite and noticed the 'reee' rat dying sound effect from Deus Ex in the streets map?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Butterfly Valley posted:

Anyone playing Halo Infinite and noticed the 'reee' rat dying sound effect from Deus Ex in the streets map?

Watch early Stargate SG1 if you want a trip down memory lane of "cheap late 90's/early 2000's foley libraries"

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Butterfly Valley posted:

I haven't played it yet because I don't like MP games, but I think that I am going to pay the campaign during the winter break as I am currently on a free trial of Gamepass and the campaign comes out soon. I paid $1 for the trial and saved $45 on the game that I most wanted, so I call that a win. The campaign is just gravy.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Watch early Stargate SG1 if you want a trip down memory lane of "cheap late 90's/early 2000's foley libraries"

This movie trailer wants me to think that's a fire effect, but I know the sound of the Icon of Sin spitting out a monster-spawning cube!!

also quoting myself to ask again

Captain Walker posted:

I frequently get a weird "Connection failed" message when booting through Kentie's launcher. Is this an actual performance-affecting issue, and how do I fix it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

No 1990s or even 2000s sci fi property is safe from "Doom door opening sound" and "Doom imp death sound", nor even "Starcraft Academy Scream"