Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

ACValiant posted:

There's only one Dragon's Dogma right? Dark Arisen? I never got into it but for some reason I feel like there should be a bunch like Monster Hunter.

Dark Arisen was a weird re-release that also contained an expansion, so it's an expanded version of the original Dragon's Dogma, but there's no standalone separate Dragon's Dogma to buy anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

deep dish peat moss posted:

Dark Arisen was a weird re-release that also contained an expansion, so it's an expanded version of the original Dragon's Dogma, but there's no standalone separate Dragon's Dogma to buy anymore.

Also the standalone version was only ever 360/PS3, the PC and later console ports were only DA.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I feel like Dragons Dogma is a Japanese take on eurojank and it's glorious. Like it's all sandbox and has a bunch of systems that kinda work but the mess it creates is a lot of fun

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Wish DD had gotten more good mods instead of a billion, garbage, nude mods.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

it's almost November, here's what's coming out in November

Dogs Organized Neatly - 11/1

Unpacking - 11/2 (also on Gamepass)

A zen game where you do the thing you'd never do in real life: actually unpack all of your boxes after moving into a new place

Conway: Disappearance at Dahlia View - 11/2

An investigative mystery game by the developers of The Occupation and Ether One where you are solving a disappearance from your apartment with some good ol' voyeurism and puzzle solving.

Time Loader - 11/3

Side-scrolling puzzle/physics game where you operate a toy crane that has travelled back in time to try and help the inventor in the past to avert an accident.

Demon Turf - 11/4

A 3D platformer with 2D sprites/animation and PS1/N64 aesthetic. Having played the demo it's pretty solid, I'm looking forward to this one.

To the Rescue! - 11/4

A dog shelter simulator where you take in dogs, take care of them, and find them an owner, while also upgrading the shelter, dealing with various problems and dilemmas. Apparently the game won't shy away from the reality that sometimes euthanasia happens:

quote:

From the very beginning of the project, we wanted to teach about the real world problems shelters face. The truth of the matter is that there are way more dogs and cats in need than shelters can handle. It can be hard for “no-kill” shelters to take in every animal that might need help. There are dogs that may be hard to adopt, rehabilitate, or find room for. No one ever wants to have to euthanize, but since we want to raise awareness, we don’t want to pretend that it’s not potentially part of the job. It’s not glorified or presented as an easy way out, but it’s an important part of the experience. That being said, we do include the ability to opt out of engaging with the euthanasia mechanic, for players who would rather experience the game without it.

Where Cards Fall - 11/4

Another game out of Apple Arcade Jail, this puzzle game is notable (besides being decent) for being the first game from The Game Band. If that name sounds familiar to always-online people, The Game Band would later go on to make a little sports project called Blaseball.

Blue Reflection 2: Second Light - 11/8

Gust's magical girl RPG got a sequel... I heard mixed things about the first game-- honestly Gust's non-Atelier track record is really up and down outside of the Ar series. But there are fans of it, so I'll mention it.

Forza Horizon 5 - 11/8

Hey here's a AAA game. It feels kind of like Horizon has overtaken the original Forza series in popularity but I could be talking out of my rear end. This one's set in Mexico and if it's like any other AAA game I'm sure their research involved one weekend trip and a couple hours of Google Image Searching.

Football Manager 2022 - 11/9

For some people, this is the only game that matters in their entire year. So I will include it. I guess it's already in early access to people who pre-ordered.

Final Fantasy V Pixel Remaster - 11/10

After the disastrous original release of FFV on Steam, Square is doing right with this pixel remaster. They'd do MORE right if they gave this to previous FFV owners but of course they won't do that. As a reminder you can change the font of these to be non-squished by renaming a couple of files in the font folder.

Synthetik 2 - 11/11 (Early Access)

It's not deja-vu, I'm listing this again because apparently the prior Early Access date for SYNTHETIK 2 got delayed. This time for sure it'll launch!

Epic Chef - 11/11

The life sim genre has been stuffed this year (and Animal Crossing is getting an expansion next week), but what's one more for the pile? This one combines farming with competitive cooking in Iron Chef-ish duels. It also has a lot of that "get resources, then build a new machine that creates new things" that I've seen in games like My Time at Portia. The aesthetic is not going to be for everyone, I'll certainly say.

Alchemic Cutie - 11/12

Not done with the life sims. (Anyone playing Moonglow Bay? I'm liking it.. in the early going anyway) Here's one focused on raising slime monsters, with a little alchemy/magic on the side. It's going for more 'cozy town' vibe than the isolated trading experience of Slime Rancher. I'll need to see reviews on this one to see how varied the gameplay is.

Moncage - 11/15

A puzzle game about a cube whose sides all represent a different area... so you rotate the cube around to get the right perspective, shift items from one side to another, and solve puzzles. I played a demo of this back in the first Steam festival of 2020 so it's been a long time coming.

Marsupilami: Hoobadventure - 11/16

Uhh here's a weird IP pull. Remember Marsupilami? Now it's a Donkey Kong County Returns clone. Seems like it looks and plays fine so it might be a rare decent licensed game (also the ukelele music reminds me of Rayman Origins/Legends, probably not unintentional).

Grow: Song of the Evertree - 11/16

A sandboxy life sim game (yep they keep coming), this one involves planting World Seeds that generate worlds you can travel to to collect resources as you try to grow.. well basically Yggdrasil but it's called the Evertree here. And of course you can also catch bugs, fish, mine ore, talk to villagers, all the usual life sim stuff.

Sherlock Holmes: Chapter One - 11/16

Frogwares heard the complaints about Sherlock: Devil's Daughter and said "Ah, we know what people are asking for... a return to the pure investigation and sleuthing of Crimes & Punishment an open world game with combat, guns, waist high walls, and also Sherlock's now a smoldering pretty boy." Honestly after The Sinking City I guess this was always the direction Sherlock was going to go. I feel a bit bad for them after Focus & Nacon hosed THEM OVER ROYALLY and are STILL hosting a pirated old build of The Sinking City on Steam and selling it... but they're travelling far away from what I enjoyed about their legacy franchise.

The Pathless - 11/16

Another month, another game free from Epic Jail. This comes from the dev of Abzu, and is a joy to run around in. As an archer, your arrows are used to hit targets in the sky that build to your boost/speed meter, which makes you a blazing fast arrow-slinging acrobat. There are a lot of spirit beasts that have been corrupted that you need to tame, and a lot of puzzles scattered about. It's kind of like a pacifist smaller-scale BOTW.

Battlefield 2042 - 11/19

Do not care about this whatsoever but I am including it because people care about Battlefield.

Final Fantasy XIV: Endwalker - 11/23

Though I don't play FF14 (and won't ever until they let me do all dungeons with AI people so I never have to interact with another person ever), as I understand it you can take what I said about Football Manager and apply it here to MMO nerds. This will be the only thing anyone in my Discords will talk about for at least 3 weeks.

----

Other games in the queue that MIGHT release in November but have no actual release date listed: A Musical Story, Mad Streets, Kingdom Two Crowns: Norse Lands DLC, Hero's Hour, Ruined King: A League of Legends Story (Battle Chasers/Darksiders Genesis dev), OU, ANNO: Mutationem, Powerslave Exhumed, Pronty: Fish Adventure, Wytchwood (Cryptark dev), Lonesome Island, Land of Screens, Children of Silentown, Weird West (former Arkane devs), Ultra Age, Windjammers 2, Echo Generation

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Oct 28, 2021

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Anyone play Imposter Factory?

Heard it takes place in the same world as the author's other works. Do I need to play them first?

Anyone have strong opinions on his other games? I have To The Moon, but never played it.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Heard it takes place in the same world as the author's other works. Do I need to play them first?

Anyone have strong opinions on his other games? I have To The Moon, but never played it.

They're a series in direct continuity. You should probably play them in order.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I'm hopeful for Synthetik 2 because Synthetik is possibly the best top-down-shooter roguelite in existence, but the demo I played felt very lackluster. It just didn't feel right, and it gave me the impression that the switch to 3d was doing more harm than good by adding lots of ways for your camera angle to get obscured, and making it harder to aim due to perspective, with no tangible benefits.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Oct 28, 2021

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
So....uhhh...apparently Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy is good?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

ninjoatse.cx posted:

I started playing it cause I thought it was a cool detective game where I had to solve a murder mystery. Instead the game tried to make me sad, might be cool but it ain't no mystery

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Anti-Hero posted:

A whooooooooole lot of the positive reviews are literally just "It's purely singleplayer!" so I think a lot of the review hype is just because it's not the Avengers game. It might still be a good game but I will definitely give it some time before taking a chance on it.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Oct 28, 2021

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

The 7th Guest posted:

Hey here's a AAA game. It feels kind of like Horizon has overtaken the original Forza series in popularity but I could be talking out of my rear end.

Horizons overtook regular Forza about 3 games ago.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Anti-Hero posted:

I've been having a good time with it.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.

The 7th Guest posted:

A zen game where you do the thing you'd never do in real life: actually unpack all of your boxes after moving into a new place

So hyped about this one, had an amazing demo.

Trickyblackjack
Feb 13, 2012

Anonymous Robot posted:

Tried to play Evil Within 2 for Halloween. Not a very polished game. The controls are sort of cludgy- the corner stealth takedown is a mess to pull off- and in general things just feel sort of slapdash. You can explore a pretty big sandbox that is kind of cool in concept, where it’s this big American suburb full of little horror vignettes for you to discover, but more than once I encountered a seeming dead end that, after looking up a guide, it turns out you just have to come back to later in the main story.

The difficulty scaling feels weird. You start off highly vulnerable, without basic skills like the ability to move faster than un-aggro’d enemies in stealth, which encourages you to play in a kind of dull way where you harvest basic enemies for experience points.

I put the game down after encountering a weird sequence issue. At one point in the game, if you go into a certain house, you’ll trigger a scene where you have to stealth by an invincible insta-kill enemy to escape a building. After that point, apparently, that enemy starts to spawn at random in the game.

I didn’t know that, so I went to another waypoint to seek out a new weapon. The enemy spawns, and it looks like a scripted event- it pulls you into an alternate version of the game world where you can’t interact with many things (the weapon I was looking for despawned.) I figured that you had to try to escape, like before, but there was nowhere obvious to go to. So i tried to kill it- there are a few scripted traps in the area- but apparently (maybe?) that enemy is just invincible at this point in the game and what you’re supposed to do is just gently caress off, despawn it, then come back again and hope it doesn’t spawn.

There’s just so many weird little quirks to this game that make it awkward to play, and there’s nothing all that great about it to incentivize me to put up with it. It’s a shame, because I’m generally an easy mark for this genre.

It's funny, I encountered that same enemy for the first time in the wild yesterday and was also confused as to what I was supposed to do. It moves really slowly and you just run away? Which isn't even a slight challenge? You can't interact with workbenches and the like (you actually clip through them if you are in first person view) and I thought my game had glitched out. All the other enemies on the map despawn for this sequence, so the whole thing felt like a waste of time.

The more I play, the more I feel a lack of overall polish with other issues like you mentioned, especially when compared to Resident Evils. That being said, I'm still compelled to play because I just love poking around, rummaging through trash for nails and gunpowder and stuff.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

The 7th Guest posted:

it's almost November, here's what's coming out in November

Very oddly hype for this

The 7th Guest posted:

Forza Horizon 5 - 11/8

Hey here's a AAA game. It feels kind of like Horizon has overtaken the original Forza series in popularity but I could be talking out of my rear end. This one's set in Mexico and if it's like any other AAA game I'm sure their research involved one weekend trip and a couple hours of Google Image Searching.
This is also on Game Pass! Some friends and I are gonna get mad stupid rip-assing all over in dumb cars.

Also these posts are great please keep them coming.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

The 7th Guest posted:

I thought this was a sims 1 remaster and was let down :saddowns:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Have there been any rumors about the GTA collection coming to steam?

I refuse to buy the drat game on the rockstar launcher of all places.

I'm just glad that GTA:SA is coming to gamepass to hold me over and hopefully it releases on Steam.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

The 7th Guest posted:

Uhh here's a weird IP pull. Remember Marsupilami? Now it's a Donkey Kong County Returns clone. Seems like it looks and plays fine so it might be a rare decent licensed game (also the ukelele music reminds me of Rayman Origins/Legends, probably not unintentional).

I do. What the hell?

...I kind of want a Spirou chase sequence endless runner now...

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I was wondering where 105GB went this morning, Forza H. 5 preloaded overnight. Good that it's uh, out of the way and ready I guess.

Flimf
Sep 3, 2006

Voice of Cards: The Isle Dragon Roars, the new Square Enix JRPG card game releases today.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1113570/Voice_of_Cards_The_Isle_Dragon_Roars/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVk3vWIMrsw

quote:

Voice of Cards: The Isle Dragon Roars is an RPG set in a world of swords and sorcery, told entirely through the medium of cards.
The story follows a self proclaimed hero as they set off to slay a recently awakened dragon, presented in the manner of a tabletop RPG and playing out through narration from the gamesmaster.
Enjoy an all new, yet appealingly nostalgic gaming experience from YOKO TARO (Creative Director), Keiichi Okabe (Music), Kimihiko Fujisaka (Character Design.)

There is also a demo available, which I found to be really good.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

MarcusSA posted:

Have there been any rumors about the GTA collection coming to steam?

I refuse to buy the drat game on the rockstar launcher of all places.

I'm just glad that GTA:SA is coming to gamepass to hold me over and hopefully it releases on Steam.

I think it was listed briefly in the steam backend. I don't see why it wouldn't eventually like rdr2

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Flimf posted:

Voice of Cards: The Isle Dragon Roars, the new Square Enix JRPG card game releases today.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1113570/Voice_of_Cards_The_Isle_Dragon_Roars/
[...]
There is also a demo available, which I found to be really good.

Voice of Cards disappointed me. The combat seemed okay and the overworld is really cool, but the rest tested my patience. The demo was hand holdy, dialogue was slow, stilted and intrusive even with heavy use of the skip dialogue option, because it waited for animations when skipping. And poor mouse support meant dialogue options and menus had to be clicked twice. Little things like that got in the way of the fun.

I also wanted to see how much damage my attacks would do on different targets, but I recognize that it's an unfair expectation I have from playing card battlers. This is simply a JRPG with a card aesthetic. Can't really knock it for that.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Donnerberg posted:

This is simply a JRPG with a card aesthetic. Can't really knock it for that.

I really wanted to love the demo but that's the impression I got too, and I wasn't super impressed. Would love to know if there are some interesting twists to the structure of the game that didn't wind up in the demo, or if it's as straightforward as it seems.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Decided to try out Assassin's Creed Valhalla with the remaining days of my month of Ubisoft+. It's my fault for playing on hard mode but, wow, it's a little bold of them to make the tutorial boss kill you in one hit lol -- when you get him down to about half health he switches to dual wielding hammers, and if you miss a parry or dodge he can kill you from full HP. I assume it's not like this on Normal difficulty.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

goferchan posted:

I really wanted to love the demo but that's the impression I got too, and I wasn't super impressed. Would love to know if there are some interesting twists to the structure of the game that didn't wind up in the demo, or if it's as straightforward as it seems.

It's a Yoko Taro game.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

deep dish peat moss posted:

I'm hopeful for Synthetik 2 because Synthetik is possibly the best top-down-shooter roguelite in existence, but the demo I played felt very lackluster. It just didn't feel right, and it gave me the impression that the switch to 3d was doing more harm than good by adding lots of ways for your camera angle to get obscured, and making it harder to aim due to perspective, with no tangible benefits.

I played a few hours of Synthetik years ago but only recently came back to it with a friend for co-op and we played ~50 hours before moving on to something else. I thought the synthetik demo felt fine but I did play it before putting in all those hours of the first one after getting back into it so i dunno. Definitely hope it's good and isn't an infinite EA period. This one has 4 player co-op which I can't even imagine considering how goddamn hectic 2 players felt at times.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Amanita Design's Happy Game is out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3t2BsJDe7g

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
Age of Empires IV will be out in about an hour. I must have completely missed all the marketing for it, but maybe it will be good.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Blattdorf posted:

Age of Empires IV will be out in about an hour. I must have completely missed all the marketing for it, but maybe it will be good.

It looks great, honestly. It's more AOE2 than AOE3 but watching some streams of it earlier this week the campaign is a history lesson with really nice looking IRL cutscenes explaining what happened in the battle you're about to re-create with awesome drone shots and history bits ("here's how they built castles", "here's what a trebuchet is", etc..). I've never bothered with any non-skirmish modes of these games before but I'm definitely going to check out the campaign for this one because it looks sick.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

explosivo posted:

It looks great, honestly. It's more AOE2 than AOE3 but watching some streams of it earlier this week the campaign is a history lesson with really nice looking IRL cutscenes explaining what happened in the battle you're about to re-create with awesome drone shots and history bits ("here's how they built castles", "here's what a trebuchet is", etc..). I've never bothered with any non-skirmish modes of these games before but I'm definitely going to check out the campaign for this one because it looks sick.

AoE 2 had a great set of campaigns, and the latest expansion has some fantastic ones too. Highly recommended!

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

AoE4 looks pretty slick. I’ll get it just for the campaign if nothing else.

They’ve really gone in on /r/trebuchetmemes for marketing.

https://twitter.com/AgeOfEmpires/status/1453719819870605312

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.

goferchan posted:

Decided to try out Assassin's Creed Valhalla with the remaining days of my month of Ubisoft+. It's my fault for playing on hard mode but, wow, it's a little bold of them to make the tutorial boss kill you in one hit lol -- when you get him down to about half health he switches to dual wielding hammers, and if you miss a parry or dodge he can kill you from full HP. I assume it's not like this on Normal difficulty.

IIRC it was more like 2-3 hits to die in normal. It took me a few tries to get through, but I’m bad at games.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
I love the reddits

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
There was this game about climbing a tower over and over again, it had the other towers as DLC, and it was mentioned here in the thread a few months ago. I should have wishlisted it because the name eludes me right now. Does anyone remember what it was called?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

simtower

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Blattdorf posted:

There was this game about climbing a tower over and over again, it had the other towers as DLC, and it was mentioned here in the thread a few months ago. I should have wishlisted it because the name eludes me right now. Does anyone remember what it was called?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3920507

Tactical Nexus

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

goferchan posted:

That's literally the only and last difficult part of the game, unfortunately. I'm not exaggerating. Your character gets way too powerful once you start upgrading everything and everything becomes a breeze even on the hardest difficulty.

I would stick with Hard and enjoy it while it lasts but if you do turn it down to Normal, turn it back up after.

sad question
May 30, 2020

The 7th Guest posted:

Sherlock Holmes: Chapter One - 11/16

Frogwares heard the complaints about Sherlock: Devil's Daughter and said "Ah, we know what people are asking for... a return to the pure investigation and sleuthing of Crimes & Punishment an open world game with combat, guns, waist high walls, and also Sherlock's now a smoldering pretty boy." Honestly after The Sinking City I guess this was always the direction Sherlock was going to go. I feel a bit bad for them after Focus & Nacon hosed THEM OVER ROYALLY and are STILL hosting a pirated old build of The Sinking City on Steam and selling it... but they're travelling far away from what I enjoyed about their legacy franchise.
Oh god, why would they do this? And it has a season pass as well as a preorder bonus of in-game currency and a vampire costume :psyduck: It's not even that I'm mad about it, just really confused about what led to these choices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i think the combat might be optional? i mean, I say that but I bet there are set piece 'action scenes' you can't skip