Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mrs. Dash
Apr 11, 2009

sebmojo posted:

I have to say that the Sci-Fi (now d/b/a Syfy) channel's three-part remake of Dune and even their sequel miniseries series Children of Dune were superior to this current remake, and that's with an understanding that Children of Dune was in no way good. From the first scene in this remake, it's boring, the actors don't appear convincing as their characters and there is little to draw the viewer in. Dialogue seems truncated from prior tellings of the story, leaving the viewer feeling disconnected from the characters and their struggles.

Technobabble, a hallmark of most science fiction, is mentioned here and there in the order familiar to those who know the plot, but it's like they're just checking off boxes on a list someone told them they had to include. Pauses between lines and scenes are overly long and melodramatic, making scene transitions and stretches of silence have more dramatic impact than the actual bits that advance the plot or could provide character development.

Also I was less than impressed but hardly surprised that they felt obliged to make the first Fremen we see on camera Black. What's the point of that? Doesn't it break immersion for everyone else? There's this group of natives, not presumed Earth-descendant outsiders like the Attreides, but native people of Arrakis called the Fremen and they have common ancestry and hate outsiders... but oh yeah, this one's Earth African and that's totally normal and not jarring. I know that later in Herbert's books, in Chapterhouse Dune, they actually have the Bene Gesserit encounter literally Jews in Space 26000 years in the future, but this is meant to be a retelling of the original story which didn't include such anachronisms. I understand why they make such decisions, which makes me like it even less.

Thumbs down on 2021 Dune.
Ah yes there's nothing more unrealistic in a movie about space drugs and pussy magic than the idea that a black man exists on a sun baked planet in the year 10 billion

I don't need a source on this one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

lmbo ok maybe I need to watch the miniseries

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

lol that's a hell of a stupid nitpick

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Just lol. Nothing about the imperial herald with godly cheekbones?

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

sebmojo posted:

I have to say that the Sci-Fi (now d/b/a Syfy) channel's three-part remake of Dune and even their sequel miniseries series Children of Dune were superior to this current remake, and that's with an understanding that Children of Dune was in no way good. From the first scene in this remake, it's boring, the actors don't appear convincing as their characters and there is little to draw the viewer in. Dialogue seems truncated from prior tellings of the story, leaving the viewer feeling disconnected from the characters and their struggles.

Technobabble, a hallmark of most science fiction, is mentioned here and there in the order familiar to those who know the plot, but it's like they're just checking off boxes on a list someone told them they had to include. Pauses between lines and scenes are overly long and melodramatic, making scene transitions and stretches of silence have more dramatic impact than the actual bits that advance the plot or could provide character development.

Also I was less than impressed but hardly surprised that they felt obliged to make the first Fremen we see on camera Black. What's the point of that? Doesn't it break immersion for everyone else? There's this group of natives, not presumed Earth-descendant outsiders like the Attreides, but native people of Arrakis called the Fremen and they have common ancestry and hate outsiders... but oh yeah, this one's Earth African and that's totally normal and not jarring. I know that later in Herbert's books, in Chapterhouse Dune, they actually have the Bene Gesserit encounter literally Jews in Space 26000 years in the future, but this is meant to be a retelling of the original story which didn't include such anachronisms. I understand why they make such decisions, which makes me like it even less.

This is the kind of passion that we need in Dune Part 2.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

ilovebeersooomuch posted:

My mind goes to strange places- I got to thinking what else could be substituted for the kris knife. Cereal is done already, could be jar of jam and Jessica says ‘all’ mapes freaks out because she thought she was saying ‘all fruit’ when Jessica was actually saying ‘all of it is jelly’

Then I thought about Dune universe product advertisements like this:
Two Harkonnen walking the shield wall
Harkonnen1 - Grshztd groooole shtzts [subtitle: this sandwich could use some dressing up]
Harkonnen2 - Raaawrl dzzgtshhhhtg [subtitle: try some of this]
A battered stoneware container is passed between them
Suddenly 2 shapes burst from the sand. Fremen brutally stab the Harkonnen, both fall dead.
Camera pans to the large moon
Grey Poupon logo appears on film book projection

Quoting this post because I want it preserved for the ages.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Scans for me; naturally space would be mostly white as that is where white people come from.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

sebmojo posted:

I'm sure someone can improve it, but this post really inspired me:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

The Bloop posted:

I'm sure someone can improve it, but this post really inspired me:

does anyone have thirty dollars. please

oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016
Every dune movie was worse than the books and the books themselves were pretty good though.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

:lol::lol::lol: I have never seen the SyFy series and it looks like I never will

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

kalel posted:

I'd pitch in :fivecbux: but I'm sure someone can at least fix the transparency first

:ibadpop:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Vampire Panties posted:

:lol::lol::lol: I have never seen the SyFy series and it looks like I never will

i don't understand this psot

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost

kalel posted:

if anyone is buying this please fix the alpha channel first.

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.

Vampire Panties posted:

If you can stomach the camp and low budget of the Lynch Dune, you can handle the camp and low budget of the SciFi Dune miniseries.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

kiimo posted:

I defy anyone to film themselves walking without rhythm in a way that isn't funny.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

The messiah bit (episode 1 of 3) of syfy children of dune is nice as hell

Being mad at the wacky costumes is how we get to the point where every movie star has to debase themselves running around in the same rubber suit or cgi-dotted power armor for the past decade

There's your emperor for 2dunc 2furious

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

prophet muhammad pbuh

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
if jesus wore a stillsuit would his piss become wine

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Little known fact: after wearing a stillsuit for a few days, small pellets of dried and perfectly-compacted poo will periodically fall out of the wearer's pantleg. Experienced users will wear their boots slip-fashion to capture the pellets and avoid creating the slipping hazard associated with javing dozens of hard, spherical poo pellets rolling around the floor of one's sietch. The storage pouches on the boots must be emptied periodically or else the extra weight will throw off the user's rhythm and attract worms.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

withak posted:

Little known fact: after wearing a stillsuit for a few days, small pellets of dried and perfectly-compacted poo will periodically fall out of the wearer's pantleg. Experienced users will wear their boots slip-fashion to capture the pellets and avoid creating the slipping hazard associated with javing dozens of hard, spherical poo pellets rolling around the floor of one's sietch. The storage pouches on the boots must be emptied periodically or else the extra weight will throw off the user's rhythm and attract worms.

This suggests, in the best traditions of golden age sci fi, that the big reveal for the series is that all the characters are actually rabbits

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!
:ibadpop::ibadpop::ibadpop:

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!

Ah fug, I uploaded the wrong one.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Yadoppsi
May 10, 2009

StashAugustine posted:

can't wait for the hubris of someone trying to adapt book of the new sun

Haha. gently caress yes!

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Gomez Chamberlain posted:

Ah fug, I uploaded the wrong one.

I will get it fixed, good gooning

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

Vampire Panties posted:

It owns and doesn't have enough poo poo like this if anything.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7B1nfv65xQY&t=18s

Watch this, or read Dune Messiah?

read dunc in high school, legit was a grown rear end man before i knew there were more. whoops

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Vampire Panties posted:

Watch this, or read Dune Messiah?

watch this and read dune messiah

e: reread the first book mostly

Ingmar terdman fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Oct 28, 2021

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Tree Bucket posted:

This suggests, in the best traditions of golden age sci fi, that the big reveal for the series is that all the characters are actually rabbits
Watership Dune

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

- young leader has visions
- oppressed people
- hiding underground

it actually tracks a whole lot

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Tree Bucket posted:

You mean the landsraad?

One day he was summoned to Dune York along with his concubine and son

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

My Lovely Horse posted:

- young leader has visions
- oppressed people
- hiding underground

it actually tracks a whole lot

Don't forget the Baron's speech about being a carnivore among rabbits. And Paul's Fremen name is literally "small hopping mammal." I think we're on to something here.

e: Sietch Tabr, where Paul goes from pawn to king and Jessica the (sort of) queen is revealed as a great power, is an anagram for RABITT CHESS. How deep does the rabbit hole go?

Tree Bucket fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Oct 28, 2021

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
I mean the rabbit cartoon was way more gory.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Urine and Feces are processed in the thigh pads! How could DV leave out this detail?!

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens

I'd forgotten how incredibly badly cast this thing was. Paul Atreides sulking his way through the entire thing with his one facial expression, William Hurt on the verge of falling asleep with every line of dialogue, the casting of local actors with accents so thick that I needed subtitles to understand most of what they were saying, a Stilgar who looked like a pudgy business man cosplaying at a company teambuilding weekend, Gurney Halleck who could barely get through a sentence without having to take a deep weezing breath and who had just the weirdest way of talking in general, and a brilliant Ian McNeice hamming it up beautifully.

all that plus cheapass photographic backdrops that made Arrakis look as big as a backyard. It was hilarious and at the same time pretty loyal to the book. Highly recommended!

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Steadiman posted:

I'd forgotten how incredibly badly cast this thing was. Paul Atreides sulking his way through the entire thing with his one facial expression, William Hurt on the verge of falling asleep with every line of dialogue, the casting of local actors with accents so thick that I needed subtitles to understand most of what they were saying, a Stilgar who looked like a pudgy business man cosplaying at a company teambuilding weekend, Gurney Halleck who could barely get through a sentence without having to take a deep weezing breath and who had just the weirdest way of talking in general, and a brilliant Ian McNeice hamming it up beautifully.

all that plus cheapass photographic backdrops that made Arrakis look as big as a backyard. It was hilarious and at the same time pretty loyal to the book. Highly recommended!

There's a distinction between making the best of a low budget and just looking loving cheap.

This just looks loving cheap.

Also like you said there's like 1 good performance (the Baron) in the middle of a huge-rear end cast, which isn't great either.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
I'm pissed there still aren't any space Mexicans in a sci-fi saga

Like bro, put some dudes on a planet that love mustaches, hats, food, partying, and violent revolutions, c'mon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

sean10mm posted:

There's a distinction between making the best of a low budget and just looking loving cheap.

This just looks loving cheap.

Also like you said there's like 1 good performance (the Baron) in the middle of a huge-rear end cast, which isn't great either.

It's a 2003 Sci-Fi production, I'm surprised it looks as good as it does. It's still entertaining and more faithful to the book than the Lynch movie.