Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
It is a freaking ton of exp and poetics, but absolutely optional.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Those are my favorite dungeons to run once a day, they give a massive amount of experience in the roulette. Like nearly an entire level massive.
I just hope you have a 2nd monitor.

Grimoire
Jul 9, 2003
yeah MSQ roulette is a decent solution to ARR cruft. Newbies get important story and groups in a reasonable time frame, and anyone who needs ironworks/shire/skaev whatever to powerlevel alt jobs gets a lunchbreak

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Ruzihm posted:

There's an entire separate roulette called Main Scenario for just those two with big rewards for having to sit through the many cutscenes. It has nicknames like "youtubes" and "netflix" for obvious reasons

Yeah, someone said "Don't forget to like and subscribe" at the end and got my comm

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Praetorium is usually a fun/chill chat environment. Last run I did we talked about sandwiches and favorite cheeses the whole time.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

I ran Prae once on my DRK but it gives me anxiety to run as a tank because I don’t know where the heck to run and need to follow others. It wasn’t as big a deal when I was maining whm

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Wicked Them Beats posted:

Praetorium is usually a fun/chill chat environment. Last run I did we talked about sandwiches and favorite cheeses the whole time.

Lucky. I get people with manifestos about how the cutscenes should be skippable (but same rewards) or how someone signed up for MSQ roulette when they should've gone to bed and are expecting us to keep them awake.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Wicked Them Beats posted:

Such derby-station… this was not my innes-tention!

I just googled “names of cheese” and picked the first that fit

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Bruceski posted:

Lucky. I get people with manifestos about how the cutscenes should be skippable (but same rewards) or how someone signed up for MSQ roulette when they should've gone to bed and are expecting us to keep them awake.

Dang. Well at least you can always turn chat off and play on your phone or read a book during the cutscenes.

Regalingualius posted:

Such derby-station… this was not my innes-tention!

I just googled “names of cheese” and picked the first that fit

The winning pun from cheese chat was that Lahabread pairs well with a nice Asciago

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I did a Prae a few days ago where chat was dead silent, and it was unnerving. Tell me what videos you're watching, people!

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
Jonathan Blow rant vods.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

gay_crimes posted:

I ran Prae once on my DRK but it gives me anxiety to run as a tank because I don’t know where the heck to run and need to follow others. It wasn’t as big a deal when I was maining whm

Castrum greatly benefits when tanks know how to best go fast but to be honest it doesn't matter much in Prae. That ones so on rails it's virtually impossible to meet with disaster

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Every Castrum is another chance to fail at the stun trick on the colossus.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

The pain of doing Castle Preatoria and then going over the limit on tomestones :negative:

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Every Castrum is another chance to fail at the stun trick on the colossus.

I apparently failed this on my DRK and had no idea

Pobrecito
Jun 16, 2020

hasta que la muerte nos separe
The new battle music in Shadowbringers rocks.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Every time I queue into MSQ roulette I get a completely silent chat.

idk if it’s just how Primal is or if I just have the worst luck. :(

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

hopeandjoy posted:

Every time I queue into MSQ roulette I get a completely silent chat.

idk if it’s just how Primal is or if I just have the worst luck. :(

On Aether, but I tend to do MSQ roulette in silly glams and they tend to get people talking.

Newbies are very entranced by Amon's Hat. :3:

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

msq roulette chat has dropped to basically nil as the number of people deathgrinding for mogtomes has gone up. it's usually a bit more chatty than this, but now people aren't even saying hello and thank you, it's kinda lovely tbh

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I did those dungeons probably 6 months ago, and I don't think I have ever run MSQ roulette. I've only done them once each and that was enough.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

Peachfart posted:

Those are my favorite dungeons to run once a day, they give a massive amount of experience in the roulette. Like nearly an entire level massive.
I just hope you have a 2nd monitor phone

Do you guys not have phones? :blizz:

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

hexwren posted:

msq roulette chat has dropped to basically nil as the number of people deathgrinding for mogtomes has gone up. it's usually a bit more chatty than this, but now people aren't even saying hello and thank you, it's kinda lovely tbh

even when I'm levelling an alt job and I queue into Sastasha or Copperbell or whatever people chat and do emotes at each other and explain fights

felt super weird to just run mutely through Evil Robot Cutscene Castle at max speed. and if anyone fell behind they would just AFK until they got ported to the next boss fight

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose
I've run Prae on Primal 21 times since the event started and I've had maybe 2 quiet runs. :shrug:

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
Pretty much every dungeon I've done so far has people going o/ at the beginning and gg or thanks at the end and that's it. I think they all want to rush through the dungeons as fast as possible instead of standing still long enough to type something.

On the other hand my first run through the Castrum had people doing anime catgirl roleplay in party chat, so maybe companionable silence is... not so bad.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Picayune posted:

Pretty much every dungeon I've done so far has people going o/ at the beginning and gg or thanks at the end and that's it. I think they all want to rush through the dungeons as fast as possible instead of standing still long enough to type something.

On the other hand my first run through the Castrum had people doing anime catgirl roleplay in party chat, so maybe companionable silence is... not so bad.

Yeah but you can type during the long cutscenes. Just start typing and you can bring up chat even in loading screens.

I don’t know how that works on PS4 though, but I assume if you’re on PS4 you aren’t chatting a lot anyway.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
I cut out the MSQ roulette from my daily rotation as the experience really didn’t seem worth it when in my 60s. Maybe I’ll do it for fresh 50 alt classes but with the road to 70 at least dungeons just felt like a better time investment. Even with DPS queues (which seem to fluctuate between 30 seconds up to 11 minutes) but I have plenty of stuff to do ingame while I wait.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Getting Praetorium is the highest xp to minute activity in the game, regardless of your level. I don't blame anyone for finding it too boring to do habitually though.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

The higher leveled you are, the better the exp payout of Prae is because it is proportional to your level.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

hopeandjoy posted:

Yeah but you can type during the long cutscenes. Just start typing and you can bring up chat even in loading screens.

I don’t know how that works on PS4 though, but I assume if you’re on PS4 you aren’t chatting a lot anyway.

the chat box doesnt even show during cutscenes on ps4

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

Super No Vacancy posted:

If you have a keyboard it does. Not sure how to get it to appear with just the controller though.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Super No Vacancy posted:

It doesn't show during cutscenes on PC either, unless you've actively opened it by pressing enter.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Edmund Lava posted:

If you have a keyboard it does. Not sure how to get it to appear with just the controller though.

At least on PC, all I have to do to get the chat to show during a cutscene is press select/view/back/- or whatever that button is called now. The one that cycles the cursor between windows. One press during a cutscene activates chat.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

parasyte posted:

At least on PC, all I have to do to get the chat to show during a cutscene is press select/view/back/- or whatever that button is called now. The one that cycles the cursor between windows. One press during a cutscene activates chat.

Yeah on PS4 it's touchpad left/right.

shoc77
Apr 21, 2015

hexwren posted:

There seems to be a different culture in NA servers compared to JP servers as well.

I was tanking in a NA prae and was surprised that everyone just instantly activated the terminals and ran off without killing the mobs nearby, resulting in me being stunlock to death, whereas in JP runs, the group will tend to kill off all the mobs next to the activation terminals to make sure that everyone make it through safely.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

shoc77 posted:

There seems to be a different culture in NA servers compared to JP servers as well.

I was tanking in a NA prae and was surprised that everyone just instantly activated the terminals and ran off without killing the mobs nearby, resulting in me being stunlock to death, whereas in JP runs, the group will tend to kill off all the mobs next to the activation terminals to make sure that everyone make it through safely.

yeah, the standard is for a tank to sacrifice themselves while everyone else goes ahead and not bother with killing things. sometimes you can be fast enough to make it through and still have aggro, which makes everything stand inert in front of the teleporter

Grimoire
Jul 9, 2003

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Getting Praetorium is the highest xp to minute activity in the game, regardless of your level. I don't blame anyone for finding it too boring to do habitually though.

MSQ Roulette with daily bonus and newbie in the party bonus is definitely the highest xp/poetics per brain power activity in the entire game. Second is probably the early post-HW 8 man raids most of which are spank and tank.

shoc77 posted:

YEah, I've been acting as a sacrificial tank at the end of that pull, letting the squishies hit the terminal. You'll be able to warp to the boss arena anyhow so no big loss

Grimoire fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Oct 28, 2021

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Bruceski posted:

One of the times I ran Castrum, my group got stuck with someone who thought it'd be funny to narrate the entire trial like they were a tour guide. It wasn't.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Selachian posted:

One of the times I ran Castrum, my group got stuck with someone who thought it'd be funny to narrate the entire trial like they were a tour guide. It wasn't.

I dunno I think this could work with the right delivery...

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Mister Olympus posted:

yeah, the standard is for a tank to sacrifice themselves while everyone else goes ahead and not bother with killing things. sometimes you can be fast enough to make it through and still have aggro, which makes everything stand inert in front of the teleporter

You can pretty reliably get through if you save Sprint for the last dash after the rubble ramp. I just get to the bottom, Provoke as soon as I'm in range of the last group, hit Sprint, and that usually pulls them far enough away that I can zoom past them and mash Interact on the teleporter to get through in time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

does anyone have a good ranking guide for msq roulette? I always just follow the pack and let the other tank do the tanking, I have no idea where I actually need to run or any mechanics beyond the 80/60% stun truck