Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Smythe posted:

the way we build our cities and live in them is wrong. i know it's not possible for everyone, and probably classist or something to imply, but people should strive to live smaller, local lives. i know that many have to live in the boonies and commute way in for work, this is a crime. we should all be able to live, work, socialize, volunteer, and endeavor to better our local communities. i think this is an aspiration worth fighting for, worth dedicating a lifetime to the pursuit of.

it is worth it. given how everything has been pushed apart and widened, it's more than worth the effort. it's reclaiming such a basic need for humanity that usually gets swept under, but got really shown to the fore with the pandemic and everyone having to shelter in place for a bit. we go without, for the most part. it's baked into the design and functions to keep it and things like it in place. it sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

i say swears online posted:

gonna steal all bust rodd's friends

Friendcuck Bust Rodd has a nice ring to it

Anyway Smythe I've misjudged you, you're good people

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Shipon posted:

I grew up in a small town and it was hell with busybodies everywhere and everyone knowing everyone else, "community" can easily be reactionary too
i don't think they were exactly referring to the americana midwest/south small town where it's also still atomized and spread out and there's a post office and a bar with broken signs from 60s and everyone drives across their house to take a poo poo in the other room. big cities (at least some california cities) are also alienating and grinds you down in it's own way, like that louis ck bit where he's talking about his midwest friend visitting nyc and being shook up at people laying dead or alive on the ground saying we need to get help and everyone just shrugs and doesn't think twice.

not saying it's Right or Wrong, but more idyllic small town would be european small towns where it's still condensed 2story row/brick houses with a pub/eatery/cafe or two and everyone lives within 5km. i visitted a bunch and they're cool as heck. but it's a multifaceted problem, especially in america

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Nah, European small towns can have those issues too.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

you don't get non-voluntary communities (like a village, small town, church or even family) without some measure of social control, and that control becomes more stifling the easier it is to simply leave. the impetus to go elsewhere is as far as i can tell stronger in the US than in most of europe because people are generally more exposed to raw market force, but it's present everywhere and it can turn very nasty.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The solution is to divide society up by which podcasts you listen to, and begin a series of forever wars between factions.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

V. Illych L. posted:

you don't get non-voluntary communities (like a village, small town, church or even family) without some measure of social control, and that control becomes more stifling the easier it is to simply leave. the impetus to go elsewhere is as far as i can tell stronger in the US than in most of europe because people are generally more exposed to raw market force, but it's present everywhere and it can turn very nasty.

Maybe it's because here people happily brag about going to traveler camps with a gun to "keep them in order" or casually mention the compound of east asian migrants they withhold passports from for slave labour, but my view of people escaping to rural areas to escape from the malaise of city life has been somewhat bleaked out by that.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Shipon posted:

I grew up in a small town and it was hell with busybodies everywhere and everyone knowing everyone else, "community" can easily be reactionary too

which is one of the many reasons cities are great, it's just a shame such a large proportion of them are designed in the interests of capital and not at a human scale. i live in one of the more poorly planned, car dependent cities in the UK; you almost don't realise how much energy you're putting into shutting all the bullshit out until you go somewhere good. i cross a cumulative 18 odd lanes of traffic to get to my job 30 minutes away, i have to cross a gigantic crowded shopping district to get to an actual supermarket, the pavements are cramped and dirty etc.

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

Smythe posted:

laughter, camaraderie, and joy should be a part of daily life. and it is possible. we have the means. people in villages around the world do it every day. to create a social fabric out of stone and glass is possible, and necessary, if we are to move forward as a more compassionate nation. whether it takes revolution, a drastic reduction in carbon emissions due to catastrophic climate change, or some other exogenous event to get us there i have no idea. but i think it would be nice, for people to have friends. for people to have someone elses living room to have some beers in. to have someone share a few in theirs.

that got pretty sappy, and stupid. guess im a g*y little b*tch.

agreed on both counts

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Telling people their social issues arent real and its actually easy is kinda lovely.

yea, that’s certainly what occurred and not a absurd “the world has moved on from community building so we just go with it” attitude.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
my experience is limited to the cities I’ve lived in but Philadelphia seems like the most community driven place I’ve ever lived. all the racists sequester themselves to the suburbs and the shittiest parts of the city, and West Philly and the Gayborhood and Germantown all have really great community developments and green space for art or plays in the park and farmer’s markets etc and there’s literally always something to go and do. when my friends would explain to me what living in L.A. was like, it just made it seem like there was no sense of community because it takes 2 hours to get anywhere so no one ever feels like doing anything. In Philly you can ride from one end of the city to the other in under an hour on the train, and it’s one of the most bikable cities in the country. I used to do West Philly to North Philly in like 20-25 minutes on my bike, rain or shine, it’s a great ride.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Podcasters are just friends who haven't met me yet.

But they will... :devil:

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
It's always bizarre seeing cities in countries with public transport that haven't been completed overtaken by roads and parking lots. They just look like big towns.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

V. Illych L. posted:

yeah, I've had some great friends moving to different cities for school, but inevitably everyone has to pack up and leave to find work or a place to live elsewhere. still keep in touch with a bunch of them but zoom calls aren't quite the same sadly, and while we do visit and have a good time, it's harder to maintain these things. and then making new friends in another city just becomes a bit harder, or you end up in the burbs like we did and it's very atomized.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

tokin opposition posted:

The solution is to divide society up by which podcasts you listen to, and begin a series of forever wars between factions.

That would somehow end up with Walt Tremblay becoming Emperor of America.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Dreylad posted:

yeah, I've had some great friends moving to different cities for school, but inevitably everyone has to pack up and leave to find work or a place to live elsewhere. still keep in touch with a bunch of them but zoom calls aren't quite the same sadly, and while we do visit and have a good time, it's harder to maintain these things. and then making new friends in another city just becomes a bit harder, or you end up in the burbs like we did and it's very atomized.

yeah i'm becoming increasingly ambivalent about a lot of forms of formal individual freedom. moving away from where i grew up always makes me miserable whenever i do it no matter what opportunity i'm chasing elsewhere, especially when you move to a place where there isn't a community in which one is able and willing to invest. modern labour markets expecting people to just move around on a whim are complete poison imo

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

tokin opposition posted:

True Crime Obsessed would the ISIS of the Podcast War. A podcast who's whole aesthetic is off-putting but it rises to prominence seemingly out of nowhere with lots of funding a large following.

Also they both seem to celebrate death and murder.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

V. Illych L. posted:

yeah i'm becoming increasingly ambivalent about a lot of forms of formal individual freedom. moving away from where i grew up always makes me miserable whenever i do it no matter what opportunity i'm chasing elsewhere, especially when you move to a place where there isn't a community in which one is able and willing to invest. modern labour markets expecting people to just move around on a whim are complete poison imo

I understand this sentiment but as somebody who had a miserable childhood I cant imagine being tied to my hometown, getting away and basically never going back was necessary for me to have any amount of happiness

But leaving a place you hate is just as tied to the modern labor market as being forced to leave, and it’s all different forms of the same lovely system

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Gripweed posted:

That would somehow end up with Walt Tremblay becoming Emperor of America.

Dunno who that is but they're better than the billionaire pedos that run it now probably

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

tokin opposition posted:

Dunno who that is but they're better than the billionaire pedos that run it now probably

https://soundcloud.com/episode-one-868768631/155-crown-of-mist-the-final-day-of-princess-diana

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Poor woman. All she wanted to do was wear her fat suit :(

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Shipon posted:

Yeah, I grew up in a similar way and there are definitely extremes in either direction.

I remember when some friends of mine (in a different, slightly larger town I lived in after graduating college) kept insisting on dropping by completely at random without so much as calling first, and when I told them that I wish they wouldn't because sometimes I just want to be alone, they asked for a schedule of what those times were.

Astonishingly we are still friends somehow.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

HashtagGirlboss posted:

I understand this sentiment but as somebody who had a miserable childhood I cant imagine being tied to my hometown, getting away and basically never going back was necessary for me to have any amount of happiness

But leaving a place you hate is just as tied to the modern labor market as being forced to leave, and it’s all different forms of the same lovely system

yeah i'm not begrudging this, i'm just seeing the downsides a lot more than i used to. i'm not advocating serfdom here

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

V. Illych L. posted:

agreed. I'm lucky that we ended up moving closer to my parents and family (and we get along with them very well) so that's a big plus.

honestly if my parents' internet wasn't poo poo we'd probably just embrace the multigenerational household -- remote work is cool but also limits where you can go

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Xaris posted:

started listening to Pod About List and enjoying it as a cum town-esque show. a little more lowkey vibes and a lot of adams on it, but it's been fun so far. cumtown is still great but it has gotten a little tiring that 2/3rd of it is just nick talking about how much it sucks now like they're gbs goons.

it is funny though that nick called it 3 months after he started it that it'd be a gilded cage that would make them filthy rich while ruining the rest of their lives

oh noooo i make a ton of money doing a job that consists entirely of shooting the poo poo with my friends. poor me

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Imagine having to work a grueling two hours a week

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

babypolis posted:

oh noooo i make a ton of money doing a job that consists entirely of shooting the poo poo with my friends. poor me

/
Stav and Adam, nervously, to Nick while imagining their lives if they have to go back to being stand ups.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

yes imagine stav's horror if he was forced to go back into stand up

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

What are your blokes thoughts on Dasha being on the new season of Succession

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't care 😂💅

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Wizard Master posted:

i love titties

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

beats me, is that a TV show?

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
cousin greg can get it

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

i say swears online posted:

yes imagine stav's horror if he was forced to go back into stand up

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

Hes loving fat as poo poo :D

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Wizard Master posted:

I don’t get this show’s hype. it’s a little unique in that I’m seeing it talked about absolutely everywhere but some people talk like it’s a funny comedy and some people talk like it’s a serious drama and nobody will actually talk about wtf it is, just that it’s popular and the world’s ugliest loving podcaster Dasha “cheating jerk who hurt my friend Adam” is on it.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Wizard Master posted:

Hes loving fat as poo poo :D

lol

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Wizard Master posted:

what are your thoughts on being the most tedious motherfucker on the planet

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Wizard Master posted:

Who?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Militant
Apr 8, 2020

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of class struggles.

Wizard Master posted:

is that the one tyhat looks like a romulan? i like that one