Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

catfry posted:

I assumed the US map was about land prices. what does 'Public land' mean in this context?

land owned by the government

why is iowa more expensive than all surrounding states? you can see the states outline

BIG FLUFFY DOG fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Oct 28, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natty Ninefingers
Feb 17, 2011

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

why is iowa more expensive than all surrounding states? you can see the states outline

Really good farmland

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

it's a lot of rivers draining into the missouri river and its not as populated as missouri, not wasteland like kansas and nebraska, and not populated by the norse like minnesota

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Natty Ninefingers posted:

Really good farmland

I hope you like corn and soy

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I've heard a number of things about how the American South is underutilized for agriculture since back in the days of sharecropping the profitability of crops wasn't prioritized by landowners who just wanted to keep steady income from their tenants and the sharecroppers in eternal debt couldn't afford to maximize usage and wouldn't benefit if they did, and that ended up funneling the cash crop agriculture to California, the state that didn't have a pre-civil war social balance to forcibly restore.

So maybe if more profitable crops moved into the South, that could buoy land values.

catfry posted:

I assumed the US map was about land prices. what does 'Public land' mean in this context?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LruaD7XhQ50

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Yeah it's good farmland but the abrupt change across the state borders makes me wonder if there's a policy involved, like lower land taxes or higher farm subsidies than surrounding states, making the land more valuable.

Anyway I'm the graduated colors in most of the eastern cities vs the western cities that immediately clip out to the darkest color

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

SlothfulCobra posted:

I've heard a number of things about how the American South is underutilized for agriculture since back in the days of sharecropping the profitability of crops wasn't prioritized by landowners who just wanted to keep steady income from their tenants and the sharecroppers in eternal debt couldn't afford to maximize usage and wouldn't benefit if they did, and that ended up funneling the cash crop agriculture to California, the state that didn't have a pre-civil war social balance to forcibly restore.

So maybe if more profitable crops moved into the South, that could buoy land values.

all the money in farming is from the government handing it to you. nobody worries about "crop profitability" like they're playing Stardew

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
On the phone so no link, but the podcast "Farm to Taber" kicks rear end for talking about the hosed up economics of agriculture and it's history in the US.

Sarah Taber is a pro follow on Twitter too.

A Jupiter
Apr 25, 2010

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

That certainly is politically loaded.

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

It hasn't got six strings, but it's a lot of fun.
just looking over that one and saying "uh oh...uh oh! uh oh..." to myself over and over

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Amazing that none of them are in Europe.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

Amazing that none of them are in Europe.

That was my first of many reactions

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

states named after Dune Characters:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

FreudianSlippers posted:

states named after Dune Characters:

The etymology is “some guy made it up and hoodwinked Congress LOL”, so who’s to say he wasn’t a time traveller and/or the secret author of the Dune manuscript stolen by Frank Herbert?

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Platystemon posted:

The etymology is “some guy made it up and hoodwinked Congress LOL”, so who’s to say he wasn’t a time traveller and/or the secret author of the Dune manuscript stolen by Frank Herbert?

So Idaho is named after itself?

Geshtal
Nov 8, 2006

So that's the post you've decided to go with, is it?

Why only half of Malaysia?

A Jupiter
Apr 25, 2010

Geshtal posted:

Why only half of Malaysia?

I'm honestly not sure how the map-maker considers a state to be "broken away from" vs "the broken away state" (like how Pakistan and Bangladesh are red but India isn't)

but im sure a european was involved somehow

wikipedia posted:

The coastal regions of Sarawak came under the influence of the Bruneian Empire in the 16th century. In 1839, James Brooke, a British explorer, arrived in Sarawak. He, and his descendants, governed the state from 1841 to 1946. During World War II, it was occupied by the Japanese for three years. After the war, the last White Rajah, Charles Vyner Brooke, ceded Sarawak to Britain, and in 1946 it became a British Crown Colony. On 22 July 1963, Sarawak was granted self-government by the British and subsequently became one of the founding members of Malaysia, established on 16 September 1963.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

I think this says more about the person who made the map than anything else. I think whoever it was is deeply insecure, has severe imposter syndrome, and is living the life of a con artist. My evidence is the fact that they think "truth" and "consequences" are spooooooky concepts.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Truth and Consequences does sound sinister as gently caress.

Related
Icelandic placenames that include "evil", "death", "kill", "ghost", or the name of some other monster.

Map printed especially for ants

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Oct 29, 2021

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

all the money in farming is from the government handing it to you. nobody worries about "crop profitability" like they're playing Stardew

That's very much wrong. Lol. Crop profitability is a major factor on how much the government gives back in subsidies since that's basically a good chunk of the equation in how much subsidies are determined per crop.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/u-s-government-checks-constituted-40-of-farmers-income-in-2020-usda-01609444429

But here's an actual counterexample with some stats. Based on the article, in 2019 subsidies made up 33% of the Net Income. Presumably, the other 66% of that income came from the farm goods. So yeah. They do care.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Florida has a ton of crops and farmland. Mostly ranches and orchards, but also cane farms. The issue with farmland there is that it competes with other undeveloped land alongside regular suburban/urban development that is only marginally more habitable to native animal and plant life compared to any suburban or urban development. Presumably for some of the same reasons, ag development in the South might be considered "underutilized"

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Oct 29, 2021

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

NFL mascot categories

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

It hasn't got six strings, but it's a lot of fun.
I wish Texans were historical.

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

I am not sure I get the coloring for the Vikings.

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
Are dolphins ungulates?

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

HisMajestyBOB posted:

Are dolphins ungulates?

Cladistically? Yes. By most uses of the word? No.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

DuckHuntDog posted:

They got the Vikings mixed up with Attila, the scourge of God.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Platystemon posted:

NFL mascot categories
Do the Rams still have support in St. Louis?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Albino Squirrel posted:

Do the Rams still have support in St. Louis?

I know nothing about American Football, don't you guys have a team called the Dodge Rams?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Unreal_One posted:

Cladistically? Yes. By most uses of the word? No.
They have hooves.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Platystemon posted:

NFL mascot categories

absolutely fascinated by the attempt to determine which parts of new york and new jersey belong to the jets and giants

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Why isn't virtually all of Europe red?

FreudianSlippers posted:

It's just the lesser-known sequel to Crime and Punishment

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
All of the former USSR except Kazakhstan in red

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

The nation-state is a Western invention of the modern era

All 200+ states in red

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

All of the former USSR except Kazakhstan in red

Kazakhstan was the entire Soviet Union for a few days after everyone else, including Russia left.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

Why isn't virtually all of Europe red?

Those only exist because an American diplomat said so. :patriot:

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

DuckHuntDog posted:

vikings aren't real. they can't hurt you.

Carbon dioxide posted:

I know nothing about American Football, don't you guys have a team called the Dodge Rams?

no.

Alaois posted:

absolutely fascinated by the attempt to determine which parts of new york and new jersey belong to the jets and giants

new york sports are bad for map-makers since they all follow the pattern of really big team everyone supports (Giants/Knicks/Yankees/Rangers), smaller second team for weirdos and contrarians (Nets/Jets/Mets/Islanders).

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!
Spider-man canonically supports the Mets.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

FreudianSlippers posted:

Related
Icelandic placenames that include "evil", "death", "kill", "ghost", or the name of some other monster.

Map printed especially for ants

Feel like including the ones with "illa-" may be padding it a bit because afaik that can just mean "not good" in an unspecific way.

Still appreciate the Icelanders' knack for foreboding names.

Grevling fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Oct 29, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Spider-man canonically supports the Mets.

Least surprising character trait ever.