Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

The specifics of this (the fact that most of her allies are on the winning side are safe) make it sorta a decision, but this seems like an obvious choice regardless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
I would have broken the hourglass while Jeff sat there.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
I hope she smashes the glass and turns on her tribe, gently caress it.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Boxman posted:

The specifics of this (the fact that most of her allies are on the winning side are safe) make it sorta a decision, but this seems like an obvious choice regardless.
Is she safe either way? Because if so… hardly a foregone conclusion.

Anyway though this sucks, please never do an ep without a TC again and why was this not a 2 hour ep, i bet it was planned as one and CBS hosed it up by wanting to promote Tough as Nails at 9

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Silly Burrito posted:

Lmao right

Never ever give up guaranteed immunity

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Fast Luck posted:

Is she safe either way? Because if so… hardly a foregone conclusion.

I thought she's up for a vote in the status quo but its possible I heard wrong. I've been fine with the twists this season because they all seem to increase decision making, but they are frequently somewhat complicated and explained very quickly.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Boxman posted:

I thought she's up for a vote in the status quo but its possible I heard wrong. I've been fine with the twists this season because they all seem to increase decision making, but they are frequently somewhat complicated and explained very quickly.

Yeah if she keeps things the way they are then she’s at risk of being voted out(and she doesn’t need to tell anyone about the hourglass). If she breaks it then she has immunity but throws her teammates under the bus(and Jeff will probably tell them about the hourglass).
Honestly it’s a lose/lose situation. If she doesn’t break it and then goes back to camp with nothing people are absolutely going to think she has a secret HII or something. I think the best scenario would be to not break the hourglass and then make something up to tell everyone that makes her look good. Maybe keep the hourglass but say it was to reverse the merge for another tribal council or something?

RatHat fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Oct 28, 2021

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD
Can someone with twitter please let Jeff know that isn't how hourglasses work.

Tyberius
Oct 21, 2006

SweetJahasus posted:

Can someone with twitter please let Jeff know that isn't how hourglasses work.

I was thinking the same thing.

"Jeff, you mean I should just flip the hourglass right?"

"No, smash it."

:what:

Brass
Oct 30, 2011

Fast Luck posted:

Another observation: Ricard talking at tribal about not “getting credit” for his and Shan’s moves in a tribe that in 5 minutes will just be him and Shan. Who is this for Ricard? Not very smart

Richard could probably go way further in the game if he just shut up. At this tribal he sounded like he was making a case to a non-existant jury, who was he trying to convince that he was a master-mind? lol

And yeah Shan was being messy as heck when she asked Richard back for the idol, but Richard is equally as messy for berating her right before giving it back. Yeah what a genius master-mind.

As for the twists this episode... I like the merge twist. Not 1 team, not 2 teams... 1.5 teams.

The isolation/hourglass twist however.... completely stupid. They are presenting it like it's a touch choice, lmfao. There's absolutely 0 strategy in her not reversing everything. Worth it to hang out with Jeff tho. She didn't break the hourglass instantly because then they wouldn't have a good cliffhanger.

So will the next person voted out be the first member of the Jury?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
There is a legitimate strategic option given that she knows most of her former tribe are in the currently safe tribe and she would be doing them a solid, thereby theoretically cementing herself as an ally.

It seems we all think that's a boner of a move but it's definitely survivor logic, especially no food all alone survivor logic

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Somehow it seems like a completely lame advantage after Jeff tried to hype it up into being the most powerful thing to ever exist. But I think I for sure would have just smashed the hour glass while Jeff was still explaining it.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The hourglass thing seems like the kind of weird twist you would find like the first 10 or so seasons. Like it vaguely reminds me of that challenge from...Pearl Islands I think, where the jury was competing against the remaining players to prevent any of them from getting Immunity.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

So much cringe with Jeff cheering on the losing tribe and calling it the most inspiring physical effort he's ever seen or whatever the hell he said. Why they continue to lean into the overproduction baffles me.

Brock Samson posted:

Anyone remember Survivor? That was a fun show.

You mean you don't enjoy the evolution into "Survivor: Unnecessarily Complex, Overwrought, and Confusing"?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Sand Monster posted:

So much cringe with Jeff cheering on the losing tribe and calling it the most inspiring physical effort he's ever seen or whatever the hell he said. Why they continue to lean into the overproduction baffles me.

Jeff's ego over all is basically the theme of this season. Every twist is talked about like something he came up with personally like he's the corporate sponsor they have to name drop constantly which is giving me terrible Treasure Hunters flashbacks because that's not how people talk and you don't even have a big money sponsor to keep happy.

Also yes, the hourglass isn't even a decision. You know you're on the outs with your former tribe because they sent you to isolation, why the hell wouldn't you give yourself immunity and gain favour with a group that's going to have a guaranteed 6v5 advantage? Really the one thing keeping me on this season is the players like Shan, Ricard and Lindsay who are so incredibly stupid that its very funny watching them burn what should be strong positions because they can't help themselves, like blabbing about someone else's advantage to someone you've only just met.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Oct 28, 2021

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

njsykora posted:

Jeff's ego over all is basically the theme of this season. Every twist is talked about like something he came up with personally like he's the corporate sponsor they have to name drop constantly which is giving me terrible Treasure Hunters flashbacks because that's not how people talk and you don't even have a big money sponsor to keep happy.

His ego is all over essentially every terrible direction the show has taken: the same location over and over, Edge of Extinction, the final fire-making showdown, and all of the stupid gimmicks (no more jury questions, trying to appeal to the little kids, the overdone attempts to make everything a tearjerking, heartwarming moment). When he finally deigns to comment on the backlash, it's with a sense of such superiority and bewilderment that there could ever be anyone who doesn't love it. He is (was) a great host, but he's proven that he went mad with power and that there's no one to keep him in check and tell him that his ideas suck.

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD
The thing about the hourglass twist is that she would be a fool to not smash it.

Smash it, you're immune and yeah your old tribe people are mad at you (assuming she doesn't already know they're targeting her) but you can explain to them that.....

If you don't smash it, you're vulnerable with a group of people you've just told that you DIDNT save, when you could have, so of course they're all just gonna up and vote you out.

It's a non-decision. It's like, go home or don't go home. Easy.

whoscookinbacon
Apr 4, 2011
Honestly, what is to stop Linia from claiming the advantage during the meet-up next episode?

JEFF: So I'm sure you're all wondering why myself and Er-

LINIA: Hey, sorry to interrupt, but Erika, do you happen to have an advantage you're about to use?

I'm sure TPTB would say the hourglass being broken was the advantage (and thus cannot transfer past that point) but heck, the tribe seems to know Erika's
getting *something* and considering she had to go to Exile is probably nothing to sneeze at. Yeah, Lin loses a big advantage, but it might be worth it if it
was allowed.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Didn't they say that was a power only used at tribal?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Teek posted:

Didn't they say that was a power only used at tribal?

No

any time at all

but yes I assume that the hourglass is "used" already since she has to [DO or NOT DO] before leaving exile

freeman
Aug 14, 2018
Now even TC isn't safe from all the advantages and sob stories. Jeff must be stopped.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

SweetJahasus posted:

The thing about the hourglass twist is that she would be a fool to not smash it.

Smash it, you're immune and yeah your old tribe people are mad at you (assuming she doesn't already know they're targeting her) but you can explain to them that.....

If you don't smash it, you're vulnerable with a group of people you've just told that you DIDNT save, when you could have, so of course they're all just gonna up and vote you out.

It's a non-decision. It's like, go home or don't go home. Easy.

Yeah, the pro move is to literally smash it as soon as he hands you the hammer and say, I’m in it to win it while winking at the camera.

That would have been a truly great survivor moment.

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010
Yeah it sucks, I really like survivor but this season has gone way too over the top and it's just a parody at this point.

At least we still have the South Africa and Australia versions. I'm a few episodes into the latest AUS and it's great so far, and I've only heard great things about the rest.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

The Bloop posted:

No

any time at all

but yes I assume that the hourglass is "used" already since she has to [DO or NOT DO] before leaving exile

I was asking about Knowledge is Power, not the time one. Which looking at the wiki, is indeed required to be used at Tribal like I thought. So by that point, the time power will be over and done with.

https://survivor.fandom.com/wiki/Survivor_41

"Knowledge is Power: The player may ask another castaway if they possess a Hidden Immunity Idol or an advantage at Tribal Council in which the other party cannot lie. If they do have either, the asker may steal it from them. If the player asked does not have either, the advantage is rendered powerless. In the event that the player asked has more than one advantage in possession, it is up to them which advantage to give up and they do not need to reveal every advantage they have. This advantage can be played until there are six players left."

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Oh I definitely missed the "At tribal council"

We were joking about doing it to another tribe at a challenge, so they must not have said that part out loud or we missed it

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Theoretically you could have an idol but not actually bring it to tribal? So you could say no there and pass without losing it? Not sure, but I know I would rules lawyer the hell out of that if I was being forced to give it up.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Teek posted:

Theoretically you could have an idol but not actually bring it to tribal? So you could say no there and pass without losing it? Not sure, but I know I would rules lawyer the hell out of that if I was being forced to give it up.

Just imagine after the first one is played if someone else made a fake one just to out the idol at tribal council.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Silly Burrito posted:

Just imagine after the first one is played if someone else made a fake one just to out the idol at tribal council.

Not sure I understand what you mean, but a "this is a mess" scenario is if they can leave the real one back at camp and pass any speech checks at tribal. So an idol holder makes a fake idol, leaves the real one at camp, brings the fake, then "lies" at the knowledge power check and gives up a fake one.

I don't know how you answer the knowledge question without running afoul of it with a fake though. Maybe just stare the asker down, ask them to verbalize the rules, give a flippant "no" (which is actually a real answer), pause like you've been caught, then pull out the fake idol and give it to them without really acknowledging that you don't have your (real) idol at tribal. So ostensibly it looks like you're caught in the power and giving up an idol, but you're really just setting them up. This is also still dependent upon being able to be immune to the power by leaving your real idol back at camp.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Silly Burrito posted:

Yeah I was going to say, I would've flipped the hourglass over before he even finished explaining, then have to smash it to double-make my choice to do whatever it is.

The Bloop posted:

There is a legitimate strategic option given that she knows most of her former tribe are in the currently safe tribe and she would be doing them a solid, thereby theoretically cementing herself as an ally.

It seems we all think that's a boner of a move but it's definitely survivor logic, especially no food all alone survivor logic

Seems to me to not even be a real choice, smash that thing. she knows she's at the bottom of the tribe, she knows they know she knows, like, they severed their alliance when they didn't choose her.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
We don't really know how much she bought the paper rock scissors thing

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Folks, how is this season? I just saw the first ep.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Lampsacus posted:

Folks, how is this season? I just saw the first ep.

Polarizing

Overly complicated but pretty good so far is my answer

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Its fine I guess. I don't really have a problem with most of the twists but the cast is a little boring IMHO.

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh
Anyone remember the Mole? That's what this season reminds me of. That show was all about dilemmas and strategy games and mindgames and just nonstop loving with the contestants at every opportunity. Those immunity idol code phrases in particular definitely gave me Mole flashbacks.

I'm a fan. Jeff needs to stop hyping himself up and mugging for the camera, though.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Has he stuck to his 'don't say guys' thing? I feel like it was a natural beat and he totally could have just swapped it out for "folks," instead.

Also, I feel - based on the comments about the current season and my watching of it's first ep - they should just bite the bullet, buy the rights, and attempt a god-awful American version of The Genius instead. Or sit around and play mafia or a series of misc. social deduction games or something. Get into Blood on the Clocktower, Jeffery!

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Ironic Twist posted:

Anyone remember the Mole? That's what this season reminds me of. That show was all about dilemmas and strategy games and mindgames and just nonstop loving with the contestants at every opportunity. Those immunity idol code phrases in particular definitely gave me Mole flashbacks.

I'm a fan. Jeff needs to stop hyping himself up and mugging for the camera, though.

I loving loved that show

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I'm definitely getting the feeling that they came up with a few too many ideas over quarantine, but on balance this is good so far.

They tried to get The Genius going in the UK a few years ago but nothing ever came of it. Sadly, I think that ship has sailed.

And if she doesn't smash that hourglass she's a goddamn moron.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Ironic Twist posted:

If you want The Mole, the Dutch and Belgian versions get subtitled by fans and put on Youtube and you should go watch those because they're awesome. There was one great moment in one recent season where the first player eliminated was brought back in in the middle of a task set in a theatre and everyone was told if someone went and sat with him he'd be brought back into the game and they'd get an exemption but they'd also fail the task for the team. So he had to sit there in this theatre and watch everyone very pointedly cut his lifeline while he had to silently beg them to come over to him, it ruled.

Lampsacus posted:

Has he stuck to his 'don't say guys' thing? I feel like it was a natural beat and he totally could have just swapped it out for "folks," instead.

Yeah, it's just "come on in" now.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

What if to compete in Immunity Challenges they have to fly to different countries around the world and shovel manure/skydive, and then return to the island for tribal council. CBS hire me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Studio posted:

What if to compete in Immunity Challenges they have to fly to different countries around the world and shovel manure/skydive, and then return to the island for tribal council. CBS hire me.

Does Phil still have that haircut that looks like he stole it from NSync?