Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I feel like i havent installed an app that was not a game or a webkit w/ mobile friendly layout that only opens the company's website in probably 5 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

FCKGW posted:

It depends on what you quantify as “better”

But in general no, most major apps have had feature parity across both platforms for several years now

Not needing 16 cores to make them scroll smoothly probably qualifies as ‘better’, though.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

tbf the top tier of android devices have only this year caught up to the iphone 8 silicon so uh, yea

Subjectively, Android 12 is much snappier than iOS with much faster animations/transitions despite not having nearly as smooth frames, and is vastly more user configurable as everyone knows. Neither iOS nor Android are as bad as their respective detractors think and both are full of stupid bullshit. For reals why the gently caress can’t I place icons at the bottom of the home screen, Tim?

Apple’s hardware quality smoothes out the overall user experience a great deal, way fewer people would tolerate iOS if it was running on some shitbox LG phone with a wonky screen.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Lack of a fingerprint sensor more than a year after COVID kicked off is lame though. Apple plays by its own tempo and that often just kinda sucks.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
Google Apps obvs are better on Android, also there is no way to get GPL licensed software installed on iOS.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Vegetable posted:

Lack of a fingerprint sensor more than a year after COVID kicked off is lame though. Apple plays by its own tempo and that often just kinda sucks.

Using an Apple Watch and enabling watch unlocking of the phone I really don’t notice it.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

8-bit Miniboss posted:

I don’t think you can take advantage of the 3% cashback this way. It depends on using Apple Wallet I think.

I don't think this is right. When I bought my last MBP there was some kind of problem with Apple Pay so they ran my physical card and I still got 3%. A bunch of my Apple/App Store charges say "card number used" instead of "Apple Pay" and they still give me 3%.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Music production is better on iOS, but it's not really a hardware issue it's a momentum one. There's so many hardware configurations for Android that developers don't want to target it with a task that is latency sensitive, it creates a lot of extra work for them. This has led to an enormous ecosystem of apps on iOS and has caused Android to get relatively ignored.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

8-bit Miniboss posted:

You can only apply from an iPhone and iPad unfortunately.

Edit: Oh, I guess you can now but I don’t think you can take advantage of the 3% cashback this way. It depends on using Apple Wallet I think.

https://card.apple.com/apply/start/?referrer=apy-200-100018

Nope, you still get the 3% if you use the Apple Card number on the Apple Store site. (No Apple Pay on Windows, so I've done it more than once.)

For non-Apple Stores you only get 1% if you punch in the number versus using Apple Pay where you get 2%, however.

Endless Mike fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Oct 28, 2021

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Endless Mike posted:

Nope, you still get the 3% if you use the Apple Card number on the Apple Store site. (No Apple Pay on Windows, so I've done it more than once.)

For non-Apple Stores you only get 1% if you punch in the number versus using Apple Pay where you get 2%, however.

I noticed when going through the buy process, it asked if I wanted to apply, and claimed 3% on the phone that I'm buying. Implying that I'm doing everything in one fell swoop.

Also, are animations painfully slow? I run animations at double speed on Android, and my jailbroken 6S was also the same. It's not necessarily a deal-breaker but I'd like to know what I'm getting into. I might mess with my coworker's 12 later today. And what about notifications? I have daily reminders and I have a tendency to let them stick for a while until I complete them. I think I read something about one of the newer iOS versions making them able to be pinned for an hour. Can they be repinned indefinitely?

Sorry for all the questions, just feeling very indecisive about whether I want to chance the Pixel 6 Pro or go back to iOS after a 4 year absence

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Why is Apple silicon so much better than everyone else’s?

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

punk rebel ecks posted:

Why is Apple silicon so much better than everyone else’s?

I think most of it has to do with they're optimizing the hardware for their use case. When you control the software and the hardware you can optimize stuff.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Not having to worry about how your software/OS handles random garbage hardware is kind of Apple's schtick.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Is there an actual volume bar for Siri speaking someplace that I can’t find?

If I have my music set to like 70% Siri is speaking at like 20%. I’ve said hey Siri speak louder but she’s not increasing her volume.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

god this blows posted:

I think most of it has to do with they're optimizing the hardware for their use case. When you control the software and the hardware you can optimize stuff.

If this is the case why aren’t intel MacBooks overperforming Windows laptops?

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

punk rebel ecks posted:

Apple doesn't control Intel

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
That argument does seem to hold water for the Apple-developed M1 chips fairly well though.

Unless you're a Dropbox user and want M1-native Dropbox and a few other friction points like that, but that's not exactly Apple's fault.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

I have a question about icloud wallet maybe one you guys can help me understand. I have my wifes phone under my account. When I add my debit card to my apple wallet, is there a way to block it from being added to her phone as well? I thought by turning off the wallet synching under icloud would have done this. Seems dumb that a card should be added under every device on one account since those devices might not be in your possession (I want to be able to manually add a card to each device). Help me understand how this feature works.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

You should have separate apple accounts and share iCloud/iTunes stuff using Family sharing.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
What Happy Noodle Boy said.

That said, if a device is signed in under your AppleID you really shouldn't be giving it to other people to use like in this scenario.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Sounds like I need to setup a separate Apple ID either for me or for her.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Worth noting that even with Family Sharing, their purchases are billed to your card when using the App Store or iTunes or in app purchases etc. They have their own cards added to Wallet that'll be used when they checkout items online and stuff like that, but the basic core Apple stuff still gets billed to the organizer.

However, you get a receipt when that happens and if they go hog wild, you can use Apple's "Report a Problem" site to get a refund -- or just have the person pay you back.

In your scenario, since you're just worried about it not being in her Wallet, everything above works. The stuff above is just a "caveat" of Family Sharing when buying things natively through Apple's services.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

LODGE NORTH posted:

Worth noting that even with Family Sharing, their purchases are billed to your card when using the App Store or iTunes or in app purchases etc. They have their own cards added to Wallet that'll be used when they checkout items online and stuff like that, but the basic core Apple stuff still gets billed to the organizer.

sidenote: they can add apple credit to their account (via gift card or buying with their own card) and itunes purchases will default to that first before using the primary account's card. I have my brother in my account and while he doesn't buy/subscribe to much, he just tops off his account every now and then and I rarely pay for any of his poo poo.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Is Apple Arcade worth it nowadays?. I already pay for the family music plan + the 200gb shared iCloud so I figure it’s only a few bucks more to get One and have Arcade. I don’t really care about tv+ but it can’t hurt to have that as an option too. I mostly want Arcade for my gf who keeps getting mad at every iOS game shoving you towards paying money into it/showing you a billion ads.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

LODGE NORTH posted:

However, you get a receipt when that happens and if they go hog wild, you can use Apple's "Report a Problem" site to get a refund -- or just have the person pay you back.

In your scenario, since you're just worried about it not being in her Wallet, everything above works. The stuff above is just a "caveat" of Family Sharing when buying things natively through Apple's services.

Im going about the process or setting up my own apple ID which will be separate from hers. I assume that even if I get family sharing going again under this new ID i wont be sharing my card info (which is what I want, only one card on only my phone).

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

punk rebel ecks posted:

They optimize the chips for their software. Since Apple isn’t intel the chips aren’t any faster on MacOS than windows.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Kilometers Davis posted:

Is Apple Arcade worth it nowadays?. I already pay for the family music plan + the 200gb shared iCloud so I figure it’s only a few bucks more to get One and have Arcade. I don’t really care about tv+ but it can’t hurt to have that as an option too. I mostly want Arcade for my gf who keeps getting mad at every iOS game shoving you towards paying money into it/showing you a billion ads.

Depends on what kind of games she plays, but there's a pretty great mix of games in there. Even some games that were clearly design as loot box gatchas that now have the paying part gone but the random collecting in there if people feel like that experience.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Kilometers Davis posted:

Tbh, apple One is worth it for apple fitness + (obviously you need an Apple Watch , for better or worse).

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

TV+ is worth it more than Arcade tbh, though there's some decent stuff on Arcade.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Kilometers Davis posted:

For you, Arcade is absolutely worth it. It has its filler, but it also has some truly excellent games.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
For those of you with a 13 Pro (not Max), how is the battery? I'm trying to decide if I want a Max or not

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Im going about the process or setting up my own apple ID which will be separate from hers. I assume that even if I get family sharing going again under this new ID i wont be sharing my card info (which is what I want, only one card on only my phone).

Your card won't be in her Apple Wallet to use for in store purchases, but if she opens the App Store and spends 500 dollars on funboxes in app, it'll have your card as an option.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

For those of you with a 13 Pro (not Max), how is the battery? I'm trying to decide if I want a Max or not

Idk man it's really, really good. A day of heavy use with zero problem. Though, if you're planning on heavy use and being somewhere without a charger for more than 24 hours, no phone battery will really remove anxiety and you should have a portable power pack.

If you want more details there are 1000 anecdotal blog posts you can google for 13 Pro battery life.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Seems fine. Maybe a bit better than my 11 Pro was. I don't find myself worrying about battery, but I'm also not the kind of person that spends all their time watching YouTube videos on their phone, so I might not be the best judge.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

the new airpods are sick. with spatial audio I can be listening to a podcast and turn my head and its like my podcast friends are right there to the right or left of me

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Kilometers Davis posted:

Incredibly worth it for your situation. I’m not into mobile games but did a month of Apple Arcade to check it out and some of the stuff on there is genuinely impressive, like that Fantasian game which is a gorgeous shot of nostalgia. Tbh for a lot of people I think an iPhone is a better gaming system than a Switch at this point, since not everyone cares about Nintendo’s games and the Switch hardware is kinda poo poo.

That’s another major differentiation between Android and iPhone, iPhones not only perform substantially better with better quality versions of the same games but also have a large number of exclusives. iOS users on average engage more with apps and spend much more freely than Android users on average, so you still get more and better quality selection on iOS even if the gap isn’t as wide as it used to be.

I didn’t keep the sub because ultimately I get my dopamine fix on PC, but Arcade is legit. Even has a fuckin Castlevania game now, like a babby SOTN.

Edit: Despite everything above there is one area Android absolutely crushes it, and that’s emulators.

Wheeee fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Oct 28, 2021

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Buff Hardback posted:

Your card won't be in her Apple Wallet to use for in store purchases, but if she opens the App Store and spends 500 dollars on funboxes in app, it'll have your card as an option.

Thanks guys! I think I know how to manage the purchases for family sharing I was just a bit dumb when I setup her phone.

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

For me the 13 Pro has been working really well with the battery. I usually put it on the charger for less than 30 minutes in the morning.
It drops about 20%(80% to 60%) in the 23.5 hour period between charges.
That's with with an average screen time of 49 minutes for the past week.

Today I'm just 72% in 10 hours from having it at 80% this morning. Was pretty busy today though and didn't use the phone much.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Im not sure why they made the airtags a separate "device" that you cant remove from your icloud account anywhere but your phone. Seems a little weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

It's great. I find myself getting through a work day and still being at 80 to 90%.