Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different
Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

I just noticed that Space Engine is on Steam and supports VR. Anyone tried it? It seems like it'd be pretty nuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Missionary Positron posted:

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

I just noticed that Space Engine is on Steam and supports VR. Anyone tried it? It seems like it'd be pretty nuts.

I've had that one on my wishlist forever. Seems like a good thing to play while doing weed things. I do know that it goes on a deep sale occasionally so I've kinda been waiting either for when(if?) it leaves Early Access or for when I'm feeling particularly bored during a sale.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Minecraft - if you have Bedrock then VR is built in, if you have Java then install Vivecraft. Absolutely amazing experience, especially for delving into mines and fighting off enemies.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Just a general FYI if you're gonna play VRChat, make sure to use the open beta branch that's current available. It's got the new hand menu and camera.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

I just finished psychonaughts RoR.

It's very short (but I got it at an 80% steam sale) but is very fun while it lasts - I love this series.

I wouldn't bother unless you've played (and completed) the first one though.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

DoubleT2172 posted:

Star Wars Squadrons really does feel like you're in the cockpit of a star wars fighter
Superhot VR
Arizona Sunshine is one of the early VR titles but it is still fun IF you play it early before you start the newer better iterations of games
Moss is amazing

SW:S I was expecting to love since I was a massive fan of xwing and tie fighter growing up (and I just completed a playthrough of Alliance) but it didn't grab me for some reason :( (although it's free right now if you have Amazon Prime)

I just finished a playthrough of Arizona Sunshine and really enjoyed it, although you can really tell it's an early VR title.

stinky ox
Mar 29, 2007
I am a stinky ox.
I'm going to point out Walkabout Mini Golf again because it's cheap as chips and quite lovely to play.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Two people recommending Arizona Sunshine and nobody recommending Walking Dead: Saints and Sinners which is better in every way. I mean, S&S should be a no-brainer but still.

I always recommend the Serious Sam games in VR. IMO they're the best VR ports of 2D games you can get. They're fast, frantic and if you've got your VR legs you can turn on smooth locomotion and zip around blowing away waves of mooks. And probably dying, a lot.

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

King Vidiot posted:

Two people recommending Arizona Sunshine and nobody recommending Walking Dead: Saints and Sinners which is better in every way. I mean, S&S should be a no-brainer but still.

S+S is always a recommend by people but for me personally I was like 30 minutes into the first mission, panic'd on a zombie before I noticed the reloading a gun mechanics for a revolver, and died and lost my first 30 minutes progress and got frustrated and turned it off and haven't touched it again.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

stinky ox posted:

I'm going to point out Walkabout Mini Golf again because it's cheap as chips and quite lovely to play.

If you want some/more free VR minigolf, VRChat has an amazing minigolf world called Putt-Putt Pond. Two 18-hole courses, and some really creative ones at that.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Does that hot dog game teach you how to use the guns, or is it for people who know how, or worse, would I need to go look for an IRL tutorial on how to shoot each gun?

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
Most of the guns in h3vr that have complicated ways to fire have mini tutorials, and there's multiple practice ranges to test on.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Argue posted:

Does that hot dog game teach you how to use the guns, or is it for people who know how, or worse, would I need to go look for an IRL tutorial on how to shoot each gun?

There's a free roam gun range that introduces the guns grouped together by complexity and type. Throwing weapons like grenades, breach-clear long guns and rifles, magazine-fed pistols and rifles, snipers, and special weapons like miniguns and RPGs. Each range has explanations on how to use the guns, how to change firing modes, etc.

I tried it on an Oculus Quest 2, so it was very different than the finer controls that the Index will have. I had to do stuff like "press stick down and move right to activate x mode" which was annoying and cumbersome.

That all being said, it still feels awesome to nail a long-range shot on a moving dummy :synpa:

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

King Vidiot posted:

I always recommend the Serious Sam games in VR. IMO they're the best VR ports of 2D games you can get. They're fast, frantic and if you've got your VR legs you can turn on smooth locomotion and zip around blowing away waves of mooks. And probably dying, a lot.

Arizona Sunshine is the easy brain dead zombie shooter. Saints and Sinners takes a bit more familiarity with VR weapon mechanics.

Argue posted:

Shooting guns is pretty intuitive, I’m not sure if they have tutorials but you shouldn’t need any for standard modern firearms. It’s just a case of mag in, safety off, find a thing to pull to make the click sound and chamber a bullet (pistol’s it’s usually pulling the top part like you see in every movie ever, for others it’s worth just looking for things to pull on) and then you can shoot things.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://www.facebook.com/facebookrealitylabs
2 mins to go

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

They are going to change their name to Horizon, let's see...

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
i changed my mind, vr is dead. this is the worst thing i've ever seen in my life

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

i tried to watch the keynote in venues but i had to remove my quest 2 in disgust
i hate everything about this so much

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

stinky ox posted:

I am more irritated that I have not been able to find all of the golf balls on all of the main courses. Also, the hard courses wreck me.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Who is this for

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

Gonna need a tl:dw my friends because there is no way I give Zucc a second of view time

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009

Is he a human being?

WOAH stop look into my soul

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

zucc is the only good thing about this stream, his extremely normal human mannerisms makes me laugh every time he's on screen

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Holy poo poo, GTA San Andreas in VR

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

DoubleT2172 posted:

Gonna need a tl:dw my friends because there is no way I give Zucc a second of view time

GTA: San Andreas for Quest

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Who is this for

zucc, specifically

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009
I LOVE WORK

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Tagichatn posted:

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I LOVE WORK

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Lemming posted:

zucc, specifically

buying oculus and building the metaverse to house new employees was cheaper than additional real estate in menlo park :shrug:

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Getting rid of fb requirement for quest?

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Non-facebook accounts for quest, they made a good change?

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009
Positive for our shareholders.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

After seeing how facebook edited RE4 for the flimsiest flirty stuff, I honestly can’t wait to see how they trim San Andreas because oh boy that game goes places. And in VR????

panic state
Jun 11, 2019

Harminoff posted:

Getting rid of fb requirement for quest?

Quest 1 or 2?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Tagichatn posted:

Non-facebook accounts for quest, they made a good change?

I believe they will allow two accounts, for work/others. But maybe both are still linked to FB. Don't dance still.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Facebook heard you loud and clear.

You can now use your LinkedIn account.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
zuck took a hard turn into evil sci fi monologue just now

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Tagichatn posted: