Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Jose Valasquez posted:

All in all I agree that the last bit of Pupkin was underwhelming. It felt like Bobby was getting bored with it and just kinda phoning it in until he gave up and ended it here before returning to Pupkin a few years later.

Yeah seriously. That's the end? Man.

When it was good it was real good though. Thank you for posting pupkin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

londonarbuckle
Feb 23, 2017

Jose Valasquez posted:

All in all I agree that the last bit of Pupkin was underwhelming. It felt like Bobby was getting bored with it and just kinda phoning it in until he gave up and ended it here before returning to Pupkin a few years later.

Yeah, it just wasn't the same after Acidville High and Blind Heaven. Oh well! Thank you for making me love Pupkin.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
It appears, just like other bread cats, this new character also represents one of author's personality traits.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Paladinus posted:

It appears, just like other bread cats, this new character also represents one of author's personality traits.

I find it hard to believe that the author of Bread Cat has a personality.

(I haven't been reading bread cat, just scrolling past and trying not to be a dick about it, but I couldn't resist this opportunity.)

Ditocoaf has a new favorite as of 00:48 on Oct 28, 2021

thalweg
Aug 26, 2019

thalweg posted:

Out of the Jaws of Death

To Protect and Serve

Safe and Sound

Afterparty

Invitation…Declined

The Idiot

In the Grove

Walking on Water

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

New shading style, I personally love it but what's your opinion?

E: And remember you can scream at me to vote, I collect votes from p. much everywhere.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Boba Pearl posted:

I like it a lot, I think that slightly simpler/flatter style makes things look a bit snappier for some kinds of art, and it works well here.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

As :nws: as Jucika gets: Jucika is dreaming

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Lol at the gladius placement

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Pretty in-character.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Boba Pearl posted:

E: And remember you can scream at me to vote, I collect votes from p. much everywhere.

The new shading style is an improvement, imo.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Jose Valasquez posted:

This concludes the original run of Pupkin. Tomorrow begins “The Non-Identical Triplet” which is a short series that followed Pupkin. Is it as good as Pupkin? I don’t know! I’m reading all of this as we go too.

After The Non-Identical Triplet there is a series of one panel Pupkin comics, so regardless of how this next set turns out you haven’t seen the last of Pupkin!

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Hitmen for Destiny #213: Still hungry and tired

==========================

Hitmen for Destiny #213: Sleeping and guarding

==========================

Hitmen for Destiny #213: North and south

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
I genuinely thought the fake goddess plan had worked out for them.
And the priests' arms in that last panel really represent the full flowering of the HfD art style.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
It did work out for them! For a while. Until they ran into something they didn't account for.

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣
Thorsby adding complicating plot elements: Haha gently caress yeah!!! Yes!!
Thorsby drawing arms behind back: Well this loving sucks. What the gently caress.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Circa-2000 Crosby was peak Crosby. By 2004, Crosby's eyes are shaped like hourglasses as if to say, "time has run out"; it's all downhill from here. You start with a comic about a child who befriends a silver centipede with a five o'clock shadow, and you've got nowhere to go but "down".

Next thing you know, you're penning an incoherent Pupkin comic based on a story penned by a group of strangers tricked into playing the One Word Game; then you're selling the movie rights to a romcom starring Jennifer Lopez. Meanwhile, your brother--the true deviant of the brother-duo--is co-writing a Fortnite parody comic where participants feed their weapons with hoses plugged into their asses ("Fartnite").

And throughout this, I always think back to those eyes. Those hourglass eyes. Time has run out indeed.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Oddly enough the bad art makes Hitmen for Destiny easier to read than well-drawn but bland comics.

It's like that study that found that people perform better on tests if their study materials were written in awful unreadable fonts.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

ikanreed posted:

Oddly enough the bad art makes Hitmen for Destiny easier to read than well-drawn but bland comics.

It's like that study that found that people perform better on tests if their study materials were written in awful unreadable fonts.

Like I said, it's bad but serviceable, and most importantly Thorsby seems to know it's not impressive and works around it, making sure that visual clarity comes first. (and the sometimes over-elaborate explanations of what's going on probably are meant to help with how it's not good at conveying complex action)

One of the most important things in any artistic medium is making sure all elements of the medium work together towards whatever you're trying to do.

dumb.
Apr 11, 2014

-=💀=-

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
That Nancy is not on model, what's going on?

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
What the gently caress even was Pupkin?

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Push El Burrito posted:

What the gently caress even was Pupkin?

This will be answered in the final page of The Non-Identical Triplet:

"Half Puppy, Half Pumpkin, All Love"

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Paladinus posted:

That Nancy is not on model, what's going on?
Creepy, isn't it?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Last time on The Adventures of the Duck Avenger

do you remember 90's sci-fi and the burgeoning concept of interconnected computers?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Owl at Home
Dec 25, 2014

Well hoot, I don't know if I can say no to that

Boba Pearl posted:

I think it looks great. It's already helping the characters to stand out from the background and improve the reading flow a lot. That said, I think the rougher/grittier textures you were applying in the earlier art style added a lot of unique visual interest. I don't think you would be wrong if you wanted to continue exploring that angle, maybe hybridizing it with the higher-contrast style or saving it for specific elements of your choosing like backgrounds/establishing shots/splash pages, things like that.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣
These powerup strips are loving killer lmao

Also Boba Pearl it's kinda surprising how quick your comic has gone from pretty difficult to parse to legible, without losing the weirdness and experimenting. I'm not super knowledgable about comic framing, but they also just read more like comics now, if that makes sense.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Legit snort laugh at a joke rather than random weirdness for once

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Koburn
Oct 8, 2004

FIND THE JUDGE CHILD OR YOUR CITY DIES
Grimey Drawer

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Meanwhile, your brother--the true deviant of the brother-duo--is co-writing a Fortnite parody comic where participants feed their weapons with hoses plugged into their asses ("Fartnite").

Hey, Chris has done some great work, you take that back! Just take a look at his epic political parody comic 'Yang Gang.'

quote:

(W) Chris Crosby (A/CA) Shawn Remulac
With bold new ideas to combat threats like automation to prevent our future from becoming a dystopia, 2020 Democratic presidential candidate Andrew Yang is trying to make history... but he didn't realize that evil forces from the future would try to make him history! In order to survive his campaign and get all the way to the White House, he'll need a little help from his friends - the Yang Gang! Eccentric billionaire inventor Elon Musk builds Yang a suit of armor that allows him to fight the future, Oscar winner Whoopi Goldberg provides sage wisdom, and trusty campaign manager Zach is always by his side. There's a reason Trump fears Yang, and this political parody from the madmen who brought you The Superior AOC and The Donald Who Laughs will tell you why. The most wholesome gang you could ever join is getting bigger everyday, so jump on now! #YangGang

24 pages, FULL COLOR

and he's published many more titles that I'm sure are just as amazing: https://keenspotshop.com/collections/politically-incorrect

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Koburn posted:

Just take a look at his epic political parody comic 'Yang Gang.'

No, I will not

sinburger
Sep 10, 2006

*hurk*

I forgot how much I loved old school Scary Go Round.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Post Your Fearvorite (or Request): I'm existing just for listing!!! › PYF Comic: NO FREAKS ALLOWED!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

:drac:

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Fyadophobic posted:

I think it looks great. It's already helping the characters to stand out from the background and improve the reading flow a lot. That said, I think the rougher/grittier textures you were applying in the earlier art style added a lot of unique visual interest. I don't think you would be wrong if you wanted to continue exploring that angle, maybe hybridizing it with the higher-contrast style or saving it for specific elements of your choosing like backgrounds/establishing shots/splash pages, things like that.

Yeah I'll definitely be experimenting with that in the future, and I'll probably add on the textures as well, I was doing without them to just see what they add, but I think I'm gonna start using them again, they do a lot.

Douche Wolf 89 posted:

These powerup strips are loving killer lmao

Also Boba Pearl it's kinda surprising how quick your comic has gone from pretty difficult to parse to legible, without losing the weirdness and experimenting. I'm not super knowledgable about comic framing, but they also just read more like comics now, if that makes sense.

That makes me happy, knowing my comics are at least legible now will go a long way to getting people to pay attention lmao.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges