Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Thesaurus posted:

My taxes were prepared by a CPA. A state is now saying that there was a mathematical error and that I owe a bunch of money. I suspect that the state is wrong and that it can be sorted out. I can't say for sure, because it's a complicated situation involving foreign tax credit that is beyond me, which is why I hired a CPA in the first place.

Is it expected that the CPA would work to fix this dispute as something within the scope of the tax preparation I already paid for? Either he made an error or he can prove to the state that he didn't.

I'm reaching out to the guy, but I wanted to gauge what the usual professional practice is in case he asks me for more money etc.

I'm kinda stuck with the CPA either way at this point, because the letter saying I have 60 days to appeal the decision somehow arrived 55 days after it was "issued." I'm just hoping he can make the deadline. This is the first stressful tax issue I've had, so I'm nervous to see what happens.

States don't generally give any credit for foreign taxes, so that might be the issue. Anyway, yes I would usually work to resolve disputes within the terms of the original engagement, but if it progresses to appeals or tax court, obviously that would be out of scope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Thesaurus posted:

My taxes were prepared by a CPA. A state is now saying that there was a mathematical error and that I owe a bunch of money. I suspect that the state is wrong and that it can be sorted out. I can't say for sure, because it's a complicated situation involving foreign tax credit that is beyond me, which is why I hired a CPA in the first place.

Is it expected that the CPA would work to fix this dispute as something within the scope of the tax preparation I already paid for? Either he made an error or he can prove to the state that he didn't.

I'm reaching out to the guy, but I wanted to gauge what the usual professional practice is in case he asks me for more money etc.

I'm kinda stuck with the CPA either way at this point, because the letter saying I have 60 days to appeal the decision somehow arrived 55 days after it was "issued." I'm just hoping he can make the deadline. This is the first stressful tax issue I've had, so I'm nervous to see what happens.

State tax agencies vary wildly, but if this were with the IRS I would say: You or your CPA should contact the agency in some form before the deadline runs out, even if just to say that you are working with your CPA on a response and requesting more time. At least with the IRS, ignoring something or complete lack of response is almost always a bad idea.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

Thesaurus posted:

I'm kinda stuck with the CPA either way at this point, because the letter saying I have 60 days to appeal the decision somehow arrived 55 days after it was "issued."

Would love to find out some day why IRS mail takes so long to arrive overseas. It really is absurd.

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
For the purpose of IRA eligibility, do esports winnings count as earned income? What about art contest prize money? Assume I'm not a professional gamer or artist.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Xom posted:

For the purpose of IRA eligibility, do esports winnings count as earned income? What about art contest prize money? Assume I'm not a professional gamer or artist.

IIRC it's anything you pay social security and medicare tax on (basically, wages and self-employment income).

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010
I have a little side gig, and I elected to defer some of my SS tax from 2020 and pay in 2021 and 2022. Well it's getting to be about that time to make the first payment. How precisely do I go about that? I've never used EFTPS before (always just paid on my 1040 return), and directpay doesn't have an option that precisely says deferred SS taxes. Can I use DirectPay to pay a balence due on my 1040 or do I have to go through the hassle of getting a EFTPS account just to pay these deferred taxes?

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

PatMarshall posted:

States don't generally give any credit for foreign taxes, so that might be the issue. Anyway, yes I would usually work to resolve disputes within the terms of the original engagement, but if it progresses to appeals or tax court, obviously that would be out of scope.

incogneato posted:

State tax agencies vary wildly, but if this were with the IRS I would say: You or your CPA should contact the agency in some form before the deadline runs out, even if just to say that you are working with your CPA on a response and requesting more time. At least with the IRS, ignoring something or complete lack of response is almost always a bad idea.

Thank you. I will try to get something filed via the CPA.

I said "State" for simplicity, but it's actually the territory of Puerto Rico, which has a unique tax authority. You get credit for federal taxes paid and vice versa, and they label it a foreign tax credit even though it's not really foreign. The tax situation in PR and it's relationship to the mainland can get very complicated and is hard for me to understand.

Missing Donut
Apr 24, 2003

Trying to lead a middle-aged life. Well, it's either that or drop dead.

sparkmaster posted:

I have a little side gig, and I elected to defer some of my SS tax from 2020 and pay in 2021 and 2022. Well it's getting to be about that time to make the first payment. How precisely do I go about that? I've never used EFTPS before (always just paid on my 1040 return), and directpay doesn't have an option that precisely says deferred SS taxes. Can I use DirectPay to pay a balence due on my 1040 or do I have to go through the hassle of getting a EFTPS account just to pay these deferred taxes?

I only did this with one client (who has a business so he can pay by EFTPS) so I'm not as well-versed on this topic as I might otherwise be. Did you receive an IRS reminder letter (CP256V) stating that you have the obligation to make the payment? If so, is there an address given on the letter to make the payment?

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010

Missing Donut posted:

I only did this with one client (who has a business so he can pay by EFTPS) so I'm not as well-versed on this topic as I might otherwise be. Did you receive an IRS reminder letter (CP256V) stating that you have the obligation to make the payment? If so, is there an address given on the letter to make the payment?

I have not, but I have moved around a bit over the past year and it's possible one was sent but I have not received. Would I be able to see letters sent on my tax transcript?

Missing Donut
Apr 24, 2003

sparkmaster posted:

I have not, but I have moved around a bit over the past year and it's possible one was sent but I have not received. Would I be able to see letters sent on my tax transcript?

The transcript would note that it was sent but not the content, I don’t think. My client received the letter but I don’t have a copy of it offhand; it was several months ago so I don’t remember the entirety of it. I’ll see if I can dig up a letter.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
The IRS has taken the step recently where you may be able to view copies of letters sent to you on your online account. So maybe try to make one of those and if you’re lucky enough to get in there you may be lucky enough to have a copy of the letter.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

PatMarshall posted:

As far as the CPA and expected support goes, at least at H&R Block we have a standard guarantee that says if you get a letter related to a return we did you can bring it in for review and usually assistance with a response, and we don't generally charge for that support unless as mentioned it's progressed to a more complicated problem, but those are pretty rare letters compared to the typical "bad boo-boo pay lots of money without questioning us" notices. If the issue was due to a mistake in tax prep on our end at minimum I would feel obligated to provide any amendment required for resolving the issue without charge; we do have a at least partial reimbursement setup for such situations ourselves, but the rules to that depend on circumstances enough that I wouldn't necessarily count on it from every tax prep agency (understand it's some sort of insurance thing with us, we may have enough volume to justify the premiums that somebody smaller wouldn't). But a certain amount of support for tax notices is expected by us (it's the majority of what I do this time of year normally) and I would expect most tax prep people open year round should have some form of that too.

Thesaurus posted:

Thank you. I will try to get something filed via the CPA.

I said "State" for simplicity, but it's actually the territory of Puerto Rico, which has a unique tax authority. You get credit for federal taxes paid and vice versa, and they label it a foreign tax credit even though it's not really foreign. The tax situation in PR and it's relationship to the mainland can get very complicated and is hard for me to understand.

Oof, yeah, I know just enough about that kind of thing to be glad I don't mess with it. Can't, really, only people actually licensed to practice in Puerto Rico can do their returns I believe and I think we actually dumped our previous setup where we could send stuff on to our Puerto Rico offices to let them do it too. So I don't think any H&R Block office outside Puerto Rico does those hacienda returns now.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I posted this in the chat thread but this is probably a better place:

Does anyone have ideas on where to get started as far as finding a decent tax advisor/CPA? I've managed my own money OK until now but hosed up my taxes for the first time ever this year thanks to having to file in multiple states and it's been a nightmare. I'd like someone to talk to this year so I can maximize my charity and nieces' 529 contributions, and preferably local [I live in San Francisco]. What kinds of ballpark fees should I be looking at for the advice and if I have them do my taxes? My situation isn't super complex just beyond my limited ability to manage.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

qirex posted:

I posted this in the chat thread but this is probably a better place:

Does anyone have ideas on where to get started as far as finding a decent tax advisor/CPA? I've managed my own money OK until now but hosed up my taxes for the first time ever this year thanks to having to file in multiple states and it's been a nightmare. I'd like someone to talk to this year so I can maximize my charity and nieces' 529 contributions, and preferably local [I live in San Francisco]. What kinds of ballpark fees should I be looking at for the advice and if I have them do my taxes? My situation isn't super complex just beyond my limited ability to manage.

I looked around on Nextdoor and picked a good option there after 2 personal recommendations never answered my email requests.

Missing Donut
Apr 24, 2003

Epi Lepi posted:

The IRS has taken the step recently where you may be able to view copies of letters sent to you on your online account. So maybe try to make one of those and if you’re lucky enough to get in there you may be lucky enough to have a copy of the letter.

That is a nice upgrade to the system; thanks for letting me know about that.

sparkmaster posted:

Can I use DirectPay to pay a balence due on my 1040 or do I have to go through the hassle of getting a EFTPS account just to pay these deferred taxes?

I was doing a continuing education seminar today and the topic came up. Direct pay does not seem to be set up for this. If you want to send a check, according to the person doing the seminar, you would send it to the address where you would send your payment based on your address (look at the last page of https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1040gi.pdf). Make sure your check states that it is for deferred social security taxes on your social security number. Do not include a payment for anything else on the check and cross your fingers that everything gets applied correctly. There is no form or voucher for this payment.

Given the state of both the IRS and the USPS these days, I'd be a bit nervous mailing a check without an IRS standard voucher hoping that it gets applied correctly, but that seems to be the option.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

sparkmaster posted:

I think "the side gig" does the payment right? Don't they have an EFTPS portal account?

Spook
Feb 25, 2002

Silence of the MOTHERFUCKING LAMBS!!
I am trying to lower my AGI to make sure I get full advantage of the Child tax credit / COVID stuff that declines over 150k AGI.

Are the following ways to lower AGI to ensure I get the full amount of relieve?

Increase money put into an HSA
Change from Roth 401(k) to traditional 401k
Create 401k for my wife who does not have a company plan and contribute $6k.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
My sister rents out her apartment in Florida and due to the insanity of the market right now, her newest tenant decided to pay 6 months in advance just to beat out another candidate (yes, she should've just asked for more money, idk why she did this either).

While this sounds good on paper, is she going to have to pay income tax on all 6 months come tax season?

My hunch is yes, and obviously she has her own accountant, but I figured I'd give her a friendly heads up if this was the case so she can adjust her quarterly payments.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

If she reports her schedule E on a cash basis (most small time landlords do) then yes, it's all taxable in the year received.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Missing Donut posted:

I was doing a continuing education seminar today and the topic came up. Direct pay does not seem to be set up for this. If you want to send a check, according to the person doing the seminar, you would send it to the address where you would send your payment based on your address (look at the last page of https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1040gi.pdf). Make sure your check states that it is for deferred social security taxes on your social security number. Do not include a payment for anything else on the check and cross your fingers that everything gets applied correctly. There is no form or voucher for this payment.

Given the state of both the IRS and the USPS these days, I'd be a bit nervous mailing a check without an IRS standard voucher hoping that it gets applied correctly, but that seems to be the option.

Make sure specifically your SSN is on the check, worst case that ensures it gets applied to the correct account (i.e. you) so if the payment gets mis-identified it's easier to clear up later.

Spook posted:

I am trying to lower my AGI to make sure I get full advantage of the Child tax credit / COVID stuff that declines over 150k AGI.

Are the following ways to lower AGI to ensure I get the full amount of relieve?

Increase money put into an HSA
Change from Roth 401(k) to traditional 401k
Create 401k for my wife who does not have a company plan and contribute $6k.

For the middle one, if you mean switch to funding a traditional 401K that works, if you mean converting your Roth to a traditional that does not (and creates an unnecessary mess later on dealing with the after-tax contributions to a trad IRA anyway; you can have both a traditional and Roth IRA, you just can't contribute more than the usual contribution limit TOTAL (i.e., $6k among all IRAs this year) to IRAs in a year for each person). Also, make sure your earned income is over the total amounts you want to sock into retirement plans. Otherwise you seem to have the general idea OK.

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

My sister rents out her apartment in Florida and due to the insanity of the market right now, her newest tenant decided to pay 6 months in advance just to beat out another candidate (yes, she should've just asked for more money, idk why she did this either).

While this sounds good on paper, is she going to have to pay income tax on all 6 months come tax season?

My hunch is yes, and obviously she has her own accountant, but I figured I'd give her a friendly heads up if this was the case so she can adjust her quarterly payments.

Yes, for most people income and expenses count specifically when they're paid, not for the period they're paying for.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

What do you guys use for tax planning etc

Just a spreadsheet, or do you plug stuff into TurboTax and see what number pops out etc? Turbo tax is very streamlined towards doing your actual taxes for that year, rather than as a planning tool

We're trying to figure out/model tax implications for renting out our current house while my wife pursues a new career opportunity, vs starting a business locally

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Hadlock posted:

Just a spreadsheet, or do you plug stuff into TurboTax and see what number pops out etc? Turbo tax is very streamlined towards doing your actual taxes for that year, rather than as a planning tool

We're trying to figure out/model tax implications for renting out our current house while my wife pursues a new career opportunity, vs starting a business locally

You could check and see if TurboTax maybe has a calculator function for working out estimated tax payments for the next year, that might let you work out the difference. Otherwise not sure what to tell you unfortunately. I have an estimate function built into my stuff but that only really works if we did the return (and H&R Block is about to get psychotically busy pretty quick thanks to one thing we do starting on the 11th so can’t recommend dropping in to try us anyway, could take forever to hear back).

A question of my own since we have a bunch of IRS people in the thread. I have someone who was supposed to get a refund when the IRS corrected their 2020 return because of the unemployment taxable income reduction. They got a letter saying the additional refund would be sent but it never was. Was trying to send in Form 3911 to start a trace but no actual instructions with form, does it just get mailed to the regular service center where the taxes are filed for their location?

Peyote Panda
Mar 10, 2019

MadDogMike posted:

A question of my own since we have a bunch of IRS people in the thread. I have someone who was supposed to get a refund when the IRS corrected their 2020 return because of the unemployment taxable income reduction. They got a letter saying the additional refund would be sent but it never was. Was trying to send in Form 3911 to start a trace but no actual instructions with form, does it just get mailed to the regular service center where the taxes are filed for their location?
Yes, you can mail it to the same service center that you would use for mailing in a print return.

However, it may be worth the time to call the Refund line (800-829-1954) and speak to an agent. The Refund line does offer an automated trace option but it would be for the original refund rather than the adjustment so it wouldn't help in this case and you'd want to speak to a live assistor instead if possible. It is admittedly difficult to get through right now.

The benefits of this are A) finding out if the refund has actually been issued yet (a lot of the refunds for this have not actually gone out on schedule and if that's the case here the 3911 won't make a difference) and B) in most cases if the refund has been issued and it's past the timeframe for receipt the assistor can usually input the refund trace over the phone, which saves both the hassle of filing the 3911 and the delays the IRS is still having for processing print forms in general since the asssistor's inputs get routed directly to the Refund Inquiry Unit electronically.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Hadlock posted:

Out of possibly morbid curiosity, did you figure out the 199a stuff?

For your question, renting out plus new job seems like a tax situation you can get a pretty good estimate for. The starting a business one seems a lot harder. Like wouldn't you need to have a pretty clear business model, good estimates of revenue and expenses, etc? How much effort are you going to spend on those things, for a venture you aren't very committed towards?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Unfortunately my wife makes too much drat money so we sit just outside of the 199a so I've given up on that on the short term.

For business tax modeling I was looking at agriculture, where there's (assuming price stability! Good luck with that) pretty good how-to models on dollars in vs dollars out.

Kind of looking at getting 20 acres and 11 cows. The economics on this are pretty well understood so tax planning on a 7-10 year horizon seems possible

Previously I was looking at developing some land as vineyard and then using the tax advantaged infrastructure (power, well) to much later turn the property into a ranchette/vacation home/Airbnb. Since we sit just outside of the 199a we wouldn't be able to reap much benefit for probably 10 years or more

Micro cattle ranching seems like a less risky business? Hard to know without penciling out the numbers/tax law more than a year out. Farms can do crazy things like retroactively apply losses to past tax returns, plus if you're in a disaster zone farms get preferential (forgivable) government loans etc

I can model my W2 income on a spreadsheet, but short of writing a bunch of custom python I can't think of how to model all this stuff and see if any of it qualifies as better than a pipe dream

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
Question about filing a late return after a late payment. This is for 2018 in California as a part time resident - the person didn't file a state return after moving there and making about $2k post move. CA FTB naturally sent them a love letter to the tune of, say, $1200 in state tax and $500 in penalties/interest for their full $50k in federal AGI for all of 2018. I'm pretty sure they actually owe zero since the CA standard deduction is above their California income of $2k, but they are going to go ahead and pay the bill to avoid a lien/accruing more interest/penalties.

The question is about what to put into the state form 540NR that they haven't yet filed for 2018.

Do they go ahead and put in $1800 for the 2018 payment for tax/penalty/interest they just made? And then carry that over to the "refund" line?

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW
I have a self-employment side job that usually brings in a few thousand per year. Instead of estimated payments, I've just withheld a bit extra from my primary job. That's covered it in the past.

My :airquote:problem:airquote: is that I got like a year's worth of business in October, so now by my spreadsheet (which has been pretty accurate over the years), I'm on track to owe about $1200. That's even after shutting off the advanced child tax credit for the rest of the year.

Is it a problem to make an estimated payment even if I haven't been doing it all year long?

I'm also in Massachusetts and have the same situation on the state side if that matters (suddenly looking at owing $500).

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Hadlock posted:

I can model my W2 income on a spreadsheet, but short of writing a bunch of custom python I can't think of how to model all this stuff and see if any of it qualifies as better than a pipe dream

Ya, doubt there's a simple way. "See an accountant" seems gratuitous, and the more you understand yourself the better anyway. If you put in the effort to create an app that does the calculations, you can sell that too (and further complicate your taxes, and get sued when it screws up someones return). It might help to play around with the forms themselves, e.g. 8995a (and look, 199a is for high earners too, trumps not a socialist). Also visit the primary text, e.g. Sec. 195, not just explainers by for-profit entities that are trying to sell you something. Like, before it seemed maybe you had 195 and 199a confused. Also, 199a is scheduled to go away in 4 years, we better vote trump back in to keep the gravy train rollin

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Harveygod posted:

I have a self-employment side job that usually brings in a few thousand per year. Instead of estimated payments, I've just withheld a bit extra from my primary job. That's covered it in the past.

My :airquote:problem:airquote: is that I got like a year's worth of business in October, so now by my spreadsheet (which has been pretty accurate over the years), I'm on track to owe about $1200. That's even after shutting off the advanced child tax credit for the rest of the year.

Is it a problem to make an estimated payment even if I haven't been doing it all year long?

I'm also in Massachusetts and have the same situation on the state side if that matters (suddenly looking at owing $500).

Not at all. Especially not the first time. Just make the payment now based on the income and no one will care. It just has to be "not foreseeable" which is basically a huge gimme for anyone not committing outright fraud. If any variable changes then guess what, who could have foreseen that.

Look up the safe harbor provisions too, you're likely inside of them.

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010

H110Hawk posted:

I think "the side gig" does the payment right? Don't they have an EFTPS portal account?

To clarify, this is my own side gig, and I pay my taxes when I file that schedule c every year. I've never had to use EFTPS since I've always paid quarterlies.

Missing Donut posted:

This is good information, thank you. I think I might just bite the bullet and try to get an EFTPS account, just to make sure this is all on the up and up.

E: The instructions mention that I can pay with credit card. If directpay isn't set up for paying the deferred taxes, would the credit card system be any different?

sparkmaster fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Nov 2, 2021

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

sparkmaster posted:

To clarify, this is my own side gig, and I pay my taxes when I file that schedule c every year. I've never had to use EFTPS since I've always paid quarterlies.

This is good information, thank you. I think I might just bite the bullet and try to get an EFTPS account, just to make sure this is all on the up and up.

E: The instructions mention that I can pay with credit card. If directpay isn't set up for paying the deferred taxes, would the credit card system be any different?

You can totes make a payment towards an estimated tax payment through direct pay. Just select the option "Estimated Tax" for payment reason and the year that you want to make the payment for.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Epitope posted:

put in the effort to create an app that does the calculations, you can sell that too (and further complicate your taxes, and get sued when it screws up someones return).

Aww yiss, this is some next level trolling right here, fraudulent business planning software

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

sullat posted:

You can totes make a payment towards an estimated tax payment through direct pay. Just select the option "Estimated Tax" for payment reason and the year that you want to make the payment for.

I'll also note since you made the money in the last quarter, making an estimated payment in that quarter should be fine for avoiding any underwithholding penalty. The calculations for that are supposed to take into account when the money was actually earned, so to deal with spikes like that.

sparkmaster posted:

Uh, word of warning with credit card; they usually tack on a processor fee of a percentage of the amount owed if you use that to pay taxes, so that option is more expensive than direct debit of an account which has no processing fee. Think debit cards just have a flat $ amount charge though that's not too bad last time I helped a client do it. I'm pretty sure the credit card payment wouldn't be any better for making sure the payment gets accounted correctly either.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

H110Hawk posted:

Not at all. Especially not the first time. Just make the payment now based on the income and no one will care. It just has to be "not foreseeable" which is basically a huge gimme for anyone not committing outright fraud. If any variable changes then guess what, who could have foreseen that.

Look up the safe harbor provisions too, you're likely inside of them.

Thanks! Ill take care of that tomorrow.

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010

MadDogMike posted:

Uh, word of warning with credit card; they usually tack on a processor fee of a percentage of the amount owed if you use that to pay taxes, so that option is more expensive than direct debit of an account which has no processing fee. Think debit cards just have a flat $ amount charge though that's not too bad last time I helped a client do it. I'm pretty sure the credit card payment wouldn't be any better for making sure the payment gets accounted correctly either.

Right, but it seems like directpay isn't set up for paying deferred social security tax from 2020. The IRS instructions for paying deferred tax specifically references paying with a credit card. So I'm just a bit confused why the credit card system *seems to be* set up to pay deferred SS tax but directpay is not. It seems like my choices are A) Send a check and hope it doesn't get lost in IRSland, B) Pay the credit card processing fee and hope it gets allocated correctly, or C) Get and EFTPS account for the singular purpose of paying 2020 SS tax in 2021 and 2022.

Peyote Panda
Mar 10, 2019

sparkmaster posted:

Right, but it seems like directpay isn't set up for paying deferred social security tax from 2020. The IRS instructions for paying deferred tax specifically references paying with a credit card. So I'm just a bit confused why the credit card system *seems to be* set up to pay deferred SS tax but directpay is not. It seems like my choices are A) Send a check and hope it doesn't get lost in IRSland, B) Pay the credit card processing fee and hope it gets allocated correctly, or C) Get and EFTPS account for the singular purpose of paying 2020 SS tax in 2021 and 2022.
Direct Pay is set up to only take payments from bank accounts (you need to enter a routing and account number for the account the payment is coming out of), so it cannot take payments by debit or credit card. EFTPS can take payments by debit or credit card.

I'd suggest EFTPS because it has a specific option for indicating a payment is for the 941. You can find more information on paragraph 29 of this page if you haven't looked there already.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Did the proposed tax rate and IRA changes make it into this infrastructure bill that was just passed, or is that a different bill?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

It’s in Build Back Better which hasn’t passed yet.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Build Back Better at this point is going to be a $3,300,000 package to mail every American a Snickers bar and tiny novelty size American flag

I really want that thing to pass but an extremely skeptical at this point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

smackfu posted:

It’s in Build Back Better which hasn’t passed yet.

Given the current way tax laws seem to go it'll be passed late and have retroactive changes that force you to correct things later probably. Boy, and I thought the one time I was doing my continuing ed on tax updates while watching Congress debate making a bunch of the class obsolete was annoying, I never expected they'd be forcing me to change tons of things during the season proper. Kind of sad seeing them just introduce the first practice version of next year's software at work and knowing that thing's gonna have to be MASSIVELY patched probably.