Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
I won't hear any dog slander.

Here's a pic of maybellene being cute as heck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Ouhei posted:

I half expected the part where the grandparents and rest of the family coming was going to be the OP just getting kicked more, but them tearing the parents a new one was a nice twist.

At first i was like “this is gonna end up with ‘and then everyone stood up and clapped’ kinda bullshit” and i didn’t buy it until they mentioned that the grandparents are bankrolling it all.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Soylent Pudding posted:

AITA for exposing my parents' favoritism

From my own experience as the eldest child with a four year younger brother, a lot of the favoritism I noticed was only possible because of the purchasing power upgrade that comes from reducing the household by one.

Me loving off to the Army for my college money was the reason they my folks could afford my little brother's. I suppose I was a bit salty about that at 18, but it all worked out in the end!

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
while that does occur, the OP's case sounds more like the sad by typical occurrence of: one kid was a bit more independent/responsible and one needed more 'help', so the parents would prioritize support on the latter child, which makes sense in a vacuum but what that actually ends up doing is leaving the 'responsible' kid high-and-dry in crises since 'they can take care of themselves' while the gently caress-up got constantly bailed out and seeds resentment with the non-favored child that they're just expected to be able to take care of themselves while for their sibling it's simply understood that they 'can't' and they get saved

that's basically what the whole Golden Child dynamic is. One kid gets treated as somehow more delicate and favored over the other 'tougher' child, who is expected to simply buck up and make due since it's seen as in their nature to do so.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Oct 28, 2021

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
AITA for not covering up while feeding in front of my 7 yo?

quote:

Okay, so hear me out. Little back story. I (27F) and my boyfriend (27M) have been together 5 years. I have a 7 yo son from a past relationship. My boyfriend is incredibly conservative, and before we had our current baby (3mo F) we had a screaming fight about Brady feeding and how he feels any public feeding is inappropriate. Especially when at restaurants. I was livid. I always assumed he would have my back, and once the fog cleared, it seemed he did. Never once had he said anything about how or where I feed until today. I woke up at 6 am, and in a daze Began getting my 7 yo ready for school. I feel it necessary to tell you I sleep with no top or bra, easier to feed on demand. My boyfriend came out and told me to cover up, and that its "inappropriate". I honestly lost it guys. I said that men are the ones who have sexualized my body and there's nothing inappropriate about me feeding my baby. I said I wished he had younger siblings so maybe he would have had that same experience. I reminded him he gets to walk around anywhere he wants with no shirt. Maybe I am the ah? But I think it's kind of weird he's acting like that about something totally not sexual. He even compared it to masturbating in front of him?! Tell me I'm not crazy, lol.

Edit: other than this i have zero issues with this man. He's always sweet, open minded and supportive. So this whole thing threw me for a loop honestly. I don't think my man would ever intentionally be a jerk to anyone. Thats the most confusing part!

My man is super sweet and open minded and conservative, so we have two kids outside of marriage and he doesn't want me to expose my breast when feeding our baby.

Kinda surprised he doesn't want blinders on the baby so kid doesn't get weird ideas.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
I wonder if that stay at home dad with the negligent wife ever came back from his weekend fishing trip.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Was there ever an update from that lady on Twitter who thought she was a kidnapped baby?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Dewgy posted:

Was there ever an update from that lady on Twitter who thought she was a kidnapped baby?

2 weeks ago, I commented on that post asking if she'd had any updates. Silence.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
drat. :(

Winter Stormer
Oct 17, 2012

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for not covering up while feeding in front of my 7 yo?

Dude is clearly the one rear end in a top hat in this story, but also I think it's kind of weird to go topless around your seven-year-old

My [30s F] with my parents [60s M/F], they have been intrusive and problematic since I had my baby [0,F]

quote:

So, there is a longer history here than I probably have room for. In short, my parents (mostly my mom) have had some boundary problems with me in the past - specifically things like calling me several times in a row if I don't answer, calling me at work/late at night, using me from an inappropriately young age for emotional support, etc. I have worked on setting up boundaries with them, and have set some explicit rules around things like "Don't call during work hours unless it's an emergency." etc.

I now live in another state than my parents, much to their dismay. My husband and I met in grad school in New York, where his family lives. We got married, and had a baby. My parents live in WI. This alone has caused a LOT of stress, fighting, and general bad feelings that I am "abandoning" my family and "choosing" my husband's over them. I don't have the space to get into this here, but my wedding (while wonderful in some ways) was awful because my mom was acting very upset in the months leading up to it, had a big sit down with me implying that my now-husband was abusing me by keeping me away from them, etc. We worked through those problems and my parents stopped talking about those issues, and have totally backed off of the idea that my husband is abusive (he's not).

So on to the present problem. I had a baby 6 months ago. My parents were thrilled, and have come out to visit several times. Aside from a few backhanded comments ("It must be nice for husband's family to see baby whenever they want") it's mostly been peaceful...with some exceptions.

The last 2 trips, my mom has been bossy/commanding with me and my husband. E.g., "Give that baby a bottle" "Hand me the baby." We have been clear and assertive, saying things like "No,
baby doesn't use bottles at night" and even pointing out her rudeness by saying "Mom, are you meaning to ASK me to hold the baby?" This has been moderately successful, but not entirely.

The last trip, there was an argument ahead of time when they called me on a Tuesday and said they were planning to come visit that Friday. I said "Ummm, I would love to see you but I need to check mine and husband's calendars first." They gave me SO much attitude about that - eyerolling (we were on Zoom), said "I bet husband doesn't have to ask you to visit his family" (he literally does...not because he needs my permission, but because we both check in w/ each other about our schedules, regularly. I gave them the feedback that I didn't appreciate this, but that I would be happy to see them. I thought that was that.

WELL. My mom called me last night and said that they booked flights to come November 12th to see "their baby", and they hope that works. Y'all, we have NEVER discussed them coming out in November. Not to mention, we have plans that weekend to attend an engagement party, and our babysitter will have our baby in the evening for the FIRST TIME in her entire life. I should mention here, while my parents are very nice and fun with baby, they undisputedly muck up her schedule when they're here. They don't seem to understand her sleep needs, or the need for quiet, calm time before bed. I was already worried about baby being with someone else for bedtime for the first time, now thinking about my parents being there, I'm significantly stressed.

When she called and told me that, I said "I will check our schedules and get back to you, but I think that should be ok." because I didn't have time right then (10 minutes before bedtime) to get into a big thing. But I know I need to have a talk with them and make it stick.

That's what I need your help with reddit - obviously the theme of my conversations has not sunk in. While my parents will change specific behaviors (e.g., not calling during work) the real core of the issue (they don't respect my or my husband's time/boundaries) remains unsolved. Further, I feel like any conversation I have with them they will use as evidence that my husband has a problem with them or is controlling me.

How can I get through to them? CAN I get through to them?
---
**tl;dr**: Parents won't do simple things like ask us when a good time to visit is, will just book tickets instead. This has increased substantially since my baby was born. To me this signifies a deeper lack of respect/boundaries. Help me effectively communicate this to them!

This will end in estrangement

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

StrangersInTheNight posted:

while that does occur, the OP's case sounds more like the sad by typical occurrence of: one kid was a bit more independent/responsible and one needed more 'help', so the parents would prioritize support on the latter child, which makes sense in a vacuum but what that actually ends up doing is leaving the 'responsible' kid high-and-dry in crises since 'they can take care of themselves' while the gently caress-up got constantly bailed out and seeds resentment with the non-favored child that they're just expected to be able to take care of themselves while for their sibling it's simply understood that they 'can't' and they get saved

that's basically what the whole Golden Child dynamic is. One kid gets treated as somehow more delicate and favored over the other 'tougher' child, who is expected to simply buck up and make due since it's seen as in their nature to do so.

Oh yeah, my younger brother was a moody fuckup from birth but he demonstrated an aptitude for math and was designated as the "smart one." Unfortunately he got real into weed and booze in conjunction with manifesting bipolar so he totalled his nice truck and my old shitbox on his way to flaming out of college.

It's weird how the whole thing managed to engrain an aversion to family help. I can't imagine ever asking them for anything.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Winter Stormer posted:

Dude is clearly the one rear end in a top hat in this story, but also I think it's kind of weird to go topless around your seven-year-old

My [30s F] with my parents [60s M/F], they have been intrusive and problematic since I had my baby [0,F]

This will end in estrangement

Lol, this will end in divorce because OP can't seem to figure out how to say no to her parents.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Ouhei posted:

Stories like this always make me wonder how they got to this kid being 6 before him being a broken logic robot became an issue. Like, that guy has definitely been a piece of poo poo about other stuff like this before now, but he writes it as if his wife was blindsided that he might do this.

"Hon, the baby ate his whole bottle!"
"Aren't they meant to eat?"
"Yeah, we were having lots of trouble with that, remember...?"
"I remember thinking it was dumb that a baby wouldn't eat. They're supposed to."

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

axolotl farmer posted:

This broke brained rear end didn't get the memo that humans and other animals respond much better to positive reinforcement than fear of punishment. Don't scold when they do something wrong, encourage them when they do something right.

A 5yo tidying her own room is a goddamn miracle.

So did at least one entire generation of parents, if a few threads are any indication. Like, shitloads of people seem to have never received any regular positive reinforcement at any formative stages. Hell, you're lucky if they actually try to teach you anything rather than just yell at you for doing things wrong and refuse to explain them because 'you should know this by now'.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Zurtilik posted:

WARNING: Dead Pet Ahead!

My [22 F] boyfriend's​ [22 M] brother [19M] is responsible for the death of his pet parrot, boyfriend will be home in a week and on the warpath.

If my brother deliberately killed one of my parrots I would absolutely break both of his arms and legs. If if was due to stupid indifference I might be satisfied with just the arms.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Sharing this one just for the typo:

WIBTA if I ask my boyfriend to pay more rent because he broke an agreement?

quote:

My boyfriend (26m) and I (29f) have been together for 4 years. We have been living together for a year and a half. Because I make more than double what he does, we made the agreement that I would pay $1200 in rent, and he would only pay $400. To make up for this he would do all the cooking since I enjoyed his cocking. I do other chores in the house, but he has done all the cooking- he makes breakfast, packs lunch and cooked dinner he never complained about it

However, around 2 months ago he decided to go vegetarian for ethical/environmental/health reasons. He completely changed his cooking and stopped cooking meat entirely. I just find this so annoying since I enjoyed his cooking before, and I miss eating meat. If I ask him to make something he used to make, he'll say "I can make it myself" which is annoying because we had an agreement. I've talked to him about this, but he thinks there's nothing wrong with what he's cooking, and he makes sure it's tastes good.

I'm strongly considering asking him to pay more for his rent since I kinda feel cheated out of the deal we've made, but I'm debating whether this would make me an rear end in a top hat.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

She misses his meat.

Grimdude
Sep 25, 2006

It was a shame how he carried on
So what part of the deal is he cheating on?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
She misses the meat.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Soylent Pudding posted:

Sharing this one just for the typo:

WIBTA if I ask my boyfriend to pay more rent because he broke an agreement?

How good of a cook must he have been to be paying only a fourth of the rent? And yeah, if he made a change to the normal menu as drastic as "no more meat ever" he can start paying half the rent.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

she's gotta have that meat. cocking with zucchinis and carrots just doesn't satisfy the same way

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Soylent Pudding posted:

AITA for exposing my parents' favoritism

quote:

my father told me that perhaps it's time I moved out because they are sick of keeping a roof over my head. I pointed out I pay rent.

loving lol. I hope this kid told his dad at one point he's the one that keeps a roof over his head, not the dad.

Now I want to know what the employment status is of the parents.

Edit: I bet if the parents kicked out the kid they would still expect him to pay them rent since "We raised you for years and you owe us."

limp_cheese fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Oct 28, 2021

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

Nowhere in our contract does it say it has to be meals we both enjoy. Just that I cook meals for the both of us.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Foo Diddley posted:

around about the 10th picture you took, i'd be stabbing you with a salad fork and none of us would ever be welcome at the restaurant again. how the hell does anyone put up with that poo poo

maybe the other couple are assholes like the girlfriend

I hate it so much. oh my god. I'll smile for a picture or two on a special occasion but life is meant to be enjoyed, not obsessively documented. even the photos I do take do not go on social media

Other couple are probably insta freaks as well but that amount of photos would be weird to anyone I think

Barudak posted:

Right there in your post.

But seriously, most modern boy bands out of Korea and China and such have designated roles that are publicly stated like "the singer" "the rapper" "the dancer" "the interviewer" and "the gimmick" so I feel like young men should figure out which of these archetypes they align with.

Don't think there is any need for the world to become more like a k-pop group, Barudak

Mx. posted:

AITA for making my roommate drive 4 hours home to clean her fish tank because I'm pissed she adopted a dog while filming on location?

Hire someone to clean the drat fish tank, it's an easy service to find

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Rescue Toaster posted:

Yeah it's not about fawning over them for doing the chore itself. It's about the developmental step of remembering and showing initiative and not needing to be explicitly told to do something. And that part is worth rewarding/reinforcing.

Thankfully she seems to have one functioning parent.
Hands up if you have been the parent of a toddler and never said the equivalent of "Great pooping in the pot!" And realized that your life has sunk into applauding poo poo.

AITA for saying I prefer sushi to children?

quote:

Okay so straight to it. My husband and I (both in our early 30s) have been together for over a decade and made the decision to not have kids. I like kids, I have nieces and nephews, we just don't want them for our own reasons. He had a vasectomy which only a few people know about. Our families are aware we don't want kids as they've asked this before during different major life events (our wedding for instance).

We recently bought a 3 bedroom home with a nice yard in a nice area. Excited to show our new home to family and friends (major upgrade to our previous home), we hosted a housewarming.

During the party, one of my sibling in laws (Alex) made a few indirect comments about all this space, and kids would love it in our house etc. Eventually they asked point blank when we were having kids.

I made a lighthearted joke about it, which is my go-to for this question. "Oh, well, I like sushi too much to have to give it up for a pregnancy. Plus not drinking for pregnancy and breastfeeding? No thanks!" I tried to make it very light hearted and laugh it off. Most people just laughed along. That seemed to anger Alex and I was told "children are a joy, and a good mother puts her kids before everything else". I agreed, 'children are a joy, I like spending time with the nieces and nephews, and obviously I can't be a good mom if I chose sushi over kids so I just won't be a mom' (paraphrased). Still trying to brush it off in a gentle way because I'm not trying to start a fight by telling them to stop asking in front of everyone because I know my tone will be seen as rude and abrasive.

We move on, but Alex is still annoyed and making little comments in their group about how flippant I am about it and how when it finally happens, then I'll understand. My husband heard this and said jokingly said "well, if she gets pregnant, that'll be a problem for the divorce lawyers." That seemed to piss them off more but they stopped.

With holidays coming up, we have not been invited to Alex's usual Halloween bonfire. When husband spoke to his parents, they told him Alex was annoyed we were so careless and callous about our childfree status and to say what we did and they realized we had taken permanent steps to ensure we never had kids. That we know they had to do IF to have kids etc. And we are AHs to just not care. I feel bad because they did do IF and lots of fertility treatments to have their kids, and even then they still had a few miscarriages. I can't imagine wanting kids and struggling to have them and then deal with miscarriages. But at the same time, I'm so tired of justifying living my life how I want. AITA?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Hands up if you have been the parent of a toddler and never said the equivalent of "Great pooping in the pot!" And realized that your life has sunk into applauding poo poo.

feels like a no brainer tbh. kids taste like garbage and they're so much work for the little bit of meat on the bone, frankly I don't know how witches manage.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Arsenic Lupin posted:

always the same, always angry that other people are fertile and they struggle. always because they don't like adoption

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Dammit, you JUST beat me to posting this one. I can think of like 3 stories that would've been a better use of that title.

NTA but also:

quote:

My husband heard this and said jokingly said "well, if she gets pregnant, that'll be a problem for the divorce lawyers."

Lmao.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

the holy poopacy posted:

feels like a no brainer tbh. kids taste like garbage and they're so much work for the little bit of meat on the bone, frankly I don't know how witches manage.

You sure about that? Lamb, veal, and suckling pig are all delicious. How much different could a baby be?

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Literally last night before his bath. First turd in the toilet and it was gigantic. We all clapped. He said "Yay! Hooray!" My wife was smiling so hard she almost cried. Yeah, I was self-aware for it. Got dark in my head real quick.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Dazerbeams posted:

You sure about that? Lamb, veal, and suckling pig are all delicious. How much different could a baby be?

A modest proposal indeed

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

the holy poopacy posted:

We all don’t eat kids yknow.

sometimes we go for infants, too

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I actually ate a TON of sushi during my pregnancy because you can eat certain kinds of sushi while pregnant. Obviously not anything that would be dangerous to the baby though. I was really sick the whole time and it was one of the few foods I could manage to keep down.

That said it's no one else's business whether they do or don't want or have kids so NTA for being driven to have to come up with excuses like this. People need to butt out. Also someone else's decision to get fixed or live childfree is not a referendum or comment on your own decision to go through with a difficult pregnancy process etc etc.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Arsenic Lupin posted:

If Alex is sensitive about his useless balls shooting blanks maybe he should stop asking people when they're having kids

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

teen witch posted:

I’m still wildly baffled at the whole situation. Like I’ll be watching tv and the term “plinking” and “nepotism” float through my head

What story is this referencing? Halp

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Beachcomber posted:

What story is this referencing? Halp

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3982733

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

kntfkr posted:

Literally last night before his bath. First turd in the toilet and it was gigantic. We all clapped. He said "Yay! Hooray!" My wife was smiling so hard she almost cried. Yeah, I was self-aware for it. Got dark in my head real quick.

You just gotta practice! You also have to keep in mind what a huge door-opener potty training is. Like, imagine how you would feel if your child has a medical condition that meant they had to wear diapers their whole life. That's not the case! Your child can live a normal life wearing regular clothes! You'll be able to stop carrying diapers pretty soon!

Reminds me of our first ultrasound with our first. The tech did a cross-section of the baby's head and the tech is like "well, the baby has a brain" and I was like nice. Tech was kinda puzzled until I explained "hey, some babies don't, right? You need a brain, I'm really happy my kid has one."

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

hallo spacedog posted:

I actually ate a TON of sushi during my pregnancy because you can eat certain kinds of sushi while pregnant. Obviously not anything that would be dangerous to the baby though. I was really sick the whole time and it was one of the few foods I could manage to keep down.
If you dig into it the risks are essentially nil apart from shellfish (e. coli) and some high-mercury fish, to the point that there are probably worse outcomes from pregnant women being too scared to eat fish and missing out on various beneficial nutrients.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

It's a no-brainer when there's been a vasectomy (yes, yes, they fail and that should be confirmed first but that odds are low). Same as that recent story about the couple with two women, and one of them got knocked up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
Life finds a way!