Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

CLAM DOWN posted:

NEVER I AM THE OG PIXEL WARRIOR

This triggers me so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Tagichatn posted:

Are people able to find pixel 6 pros in stock in the US? The only ones I see are carrier based.

Pretty much all sold out on pre-orders from what I can tell.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
Picked up my Pixel 6 from Best Buy, but I'm afraid to use it without a case. Best Buy didn't have any cases at all. The Pixel 6 light rain case isn't even in stock at the Google Store in Chelsea.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Got my 6p today and it's very good after using a broken screened p3xl for the last year.

Only gripe is the really mediocre fingerprint reader

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, the cases are sold out everywhere. I had the stormy Google case on preorder from best buy and no word on when it will show up.

I do have a few others though so I'm not too worried.

If you think that's bad, I'm at day 40 for a case order for my Z Fold 3 direct from Samsung with no sign of shipping anytime soon.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

friendship over with Google, Rogers is my new best friend now

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Had the phone for about 12 hours now, coming from a Fold 3 (and S21 Ultra before that). First impressions are it's very good phone and most people will be thrilled but maybe a bit hard to live up to the hype of something more than just a really good standard phone. Honestly if it wasn't for Australia going into shorts season I may have opted to stick with the Fold 3. Unfortunately I need a battery with more than 5 hours SOT and prefer my shorts around my waist instead of ankles. This is not a knock on the Pixel at all though, the Fold 3 is just really, really, good.

Pros

-Tensor is more than good enough, not noticably better or worse than the latest Snapdragon or Exynos, which is probably as good as we could have hoped. Kind of surprised there was no tech media dogpile on it like Exynos always unfairly gets. Especially since they (used to?) love making GBS threads on Pixel.
-camera is significantly better but Fold 3 was a pleasant surprise compared to its mediocre specs. Haven't had a chance to try it much yet, curious to see how the zoom compares to the S21 Ultra.
-using GBoard again is a pleasure (had to use Samsung keyboard as it splits)
-nice to have a normal weight phone again. Feels lighter than even the S21 Ultra.
-not needing a pop socket for the weight and therefore having wireless charging again is nice
-stock Google/Android 12 is slick but not the huge leap from Samsung poo poo that it used to be. Not having redundant apps/bloatware is good though.
-the theming/colour matching stuff is nicer than expected and I haven't turned it off yet
-curved edges are fine. Would have been nice if it was flat though.

Cons

-fingerprint more reliable than expected but slow and blinding at night. Would have preferred ultrasonic or in the power button like the Fold.
-74% charge when I woke up? Granted it was at 4:50am due to a violent wind storm so maybe it was trickle charging? Or maybe just not aligned well on the old wireless charger I had to dig up. Which leads to...
-not having the Pixel Stand 2 ready at launch is disappointing
-not super comfortable to hold, and finding it difficult to find a case I'm happy with. So far the best is the spigen slim armor cs case as it's thick and gives more surface area to hold the phone with. Would have preferred rounded corners like the S21 Ultra though.
-can't set it so brightness slider is visible on first pull down like Samsung?
-large notification shade buttons make navigation more cumbersome
-battery might be mediocre? Too early to judge but seems that way
-widgets are still too big to be useful
-they really should have included the 30w charger since no one had that before and it would have made them less stupid than the competition
-AI feature marketing seems overblown. It's just another Pixel.
-can't turn very bright AOD off at night? I'm sure I'll find a setting somewhere but they sure hid it well.
-speakers are a significant downgrade from my last two phones.
-twitter specifically seems to be stuck at 60hz?
-slab phones are boring compared to foldables, as a tech nerd.

Edit: adding more to this as I come across it.

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Oct 28, 2021

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Incessant Excess posted:

It took like half a year to show up after buying but the AAwireless works exactly as advertised, great device that I don't know why it's not widely copied already.

I think the reason it's not copied is because of the crazy amount of corner cases that the developer has worked around to make AAWireless work with every phone and car manufacturer. Like Mazdas (that's me) had a bug where they'd work once then not again. VWs had some specific fix, and I know there were a bunch of others. On the phone side are also a bunch of arcane technical options one can set to work around various issues.

You're just not going to find that level of commitment in a clone product that would be expected to Just Work. I had a broken unit first that I dealt with for like four months so after all the updates and attempted fixes for that unit I'm familiar with all the options and things and now with a new unit that does work I'm even more impressed that functions so transparently.

I've thought about buying another unit just to support the team but given their supply chain problems (which have been enormous) I don't want to put more stress on them and I really doubt they're turning much of a profit on the whole project.

CLAM DOWN posted:

People who get the boring colors of Pixels shouldn't be allowed to be Pixel Warriors IMHO. The tag should be reserved only when you get the good colorways, not black or white (except Panda on P2).

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Oct 28, 2021

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

LastInLine posted:

People who get the boring colors of Pixels shouldn't be allowed to be Pixel Warriors IMHO. The tag should be reserved only when you get the good colorways, not black or white (except Panda on P2).

Here there was an immediate one month extra wait for anything other than black. I'm sure clam didn't have many options either.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Here there was an immediate one month extra wait for anything other than black. I'm sure clam didn't have many options either.

I had to wait like three months to get a blue Pixel XL and about the same for an orange Pixel 4 XL, that's just the Warrior's Way. Perhaps the gangtag should read "Impatient Pixel Purchaser"?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

CLAM DOWN posted:

Are you feeling okay? Do you need someone to talk to?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Don't wait up, suckers

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Incessant Excess posted:

It took like half a year to show up after buying but the AAwireless works exactly as advertised, great device that I don't know why it's not widely copied already.

I ordered a carsifi the other day. It's main feature over the AAwireless is that it let's your quickly switch between 2 phones (nice since my wife and I share a car).

Won't ship till January though...

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Tim Whatley posted:

Is there a date or anything established regarding the Pixel Stand 2? I get delays but really weird you wouldn't launch that with the phone, even for pre orders.
what does this have over the original? i don't need it to charge any faster but maybe it does something good? right now it's just how i charge my phone at night

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

-can't turn very bright AOD off at night? I'm sure I'll find a setting somewhere but they sure hid it well.

Digital Wellbeing Bedtime Mode.

You can set it to automatically go into DnD, change to grayscale and/or turn off AoD. You can set it for a schedule or you can set it to only come on when you put it on a charger between specific times.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

grack posted:

Are you feeling okay? Do you need someone to talk to?

No, Yes, and this phone fuckin rules, it's so fast and big

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

LastInLine posted:

I had to wait like three months to get a blue Pixel XL and about the same for an orange Pixel 4 XL, that's just the Warrior's Way. Perhaps the gangtag should read "Impatient Pixel Purchaser"?

I'm on to the next phone in 4 months lmao

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

LastInLine posted:

i didn't get a blue pixel because i stupidly thought i needed more storage, but i had an orange 4 at launch and my yellow pro arrives tomorrow. you're just not quick enough on the draw

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

LastInLine posted:

I get whatever color is available then slap a pink dbrand skin + clear spigen case on it. Can I sit with the cool kids?

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

You people are all goat-fooking bastards.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Lol

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!

LastInLine posted:

I wouldn't call bisque and porcelain very thrilling alternatives.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

butt dickus posted:

what does this have over the original? i don't need it to charge any faster but maybe it does something good? right now it's just how i charge my phone at night

Yeah I think really the difference is it just has two coils to accommodate the faster charging, but also since a coil is near the base you could charge buds on it etc.

Clockwork Sputnik
Nov 6, 2004

24 Hour Party Monster
The only thing I don't like so far is the fact thatthe controls for all of my google-fied lights and poo poo are gone. 😐

Clockwork Sputnik fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Oct 28, 2021

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

XIII posted:

I get whatever color is available then slap a pink dbrand skin + clear spigen case on it. Can I sit with the cool kids?

I will not sit with anyone who recognises the legitimacy of clear cases.

Although I have one foot under the Samsung knights table.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Tim Whatley posted:

Yeah I think really the difference is it just has two coils to accommodate the faster charging, but also since a coil is near the base you could charge buds on it etc.
guess i'm good. fyi you can charge the buds on the original, you just put them on it upside-down

I will not sit with anyone who recognises the legitimacy of cases.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Aw gently caress for a second I thought butt and I agreed on something

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Did 12 get rid of the ability to tap on the clock in the notification shade to open the clock?

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

hooah posted:

Did 12 get rid of the ability to tap on the clock in the notification shade to open the clock?

It definitely did and it's the the tiniest little change that's also killing me

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Clockwork Sputnik posted:

The only thing I don't like so far is the fact thatthe controls for all of my google-fied lights and poo poo are gone. 😐

There's a shortcut on the lower left of the lock screen.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Fawf posted:

It definitely did and it's the the tiniest little change that's also killing me

This makes me crazy too. I use the stopwatch function for stuff a few times a day, and it was nice not having to have an icon for the clock on my home screen.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Aw gently caress for a second I thought butt and I agreed on something
i'll bet we agree on a many things but i'll be damned if i put a case on my already far-too-big phone or use something running samsung software

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

butt dickus posted:

i didn't get a blue pixel because i stupidly thought i needed more storage, but i had an orange 4 at launch and my yellow pro arrives tomorrow. you're just not quick enough on the draw

All the best colors, with the green 5 being the Honorable Mention (maybe the mint 6 too)

XIII posted:

Case users are OUT

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Hot take: the under screen fingerprint ready is a little slow but is actually very good and is completely accurate for me so far. I had worse results with the Pixel 5 back of screen reader.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

bull3964 posted:

It's weirdly broken for me though. I moved about seven months ago, but for some reason that shortcut is only showing the set up I had at my old place. If I open the Home app directly, it's showing the new set up. I have no idea what the deal is, but I'm just going to continue using the actual app like normal.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

CLAM DOWN posted:

Hot take: the under screen fingerprint ready is a little slow but is actually very good and is completely accurate for me so far. I had worse results with the Pixel 5 back of screen reader.

Yeah I haven't had a failed read yet. Much better than the OnePlus 6t optical reader.

Clockwork Sputnik
Nov 6, 2004

24 Hour Party Monster

bull3964 posted:

Sweet, thanks! Now where would it be on a px4?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Clockwork Sputnik posted:

Sweet, thanks! Now where would it be on a px4?

LOL if you don't set Face Unlock to merely authenticate, rather than open, the device.

Seriously though if you have it set to open then it's the quick settings tile for you. I don't know how every P4 user doesn't just set it to authenticate though since the lockscreen has most of the actionable information front and center (notifications) and the background auth allows you to act on them without having to pull the shade down. It saves like three steps at the cost of having to swipe up on the rare occasion you actually need to enter an app.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Let's do this