Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

doingitwrong posted:

I need to see benchmarks for my use case which is a million loving tabs of google docs open in multiple browsers because of all the collaboration I have to deal with.

don't worry, google webapps still run like poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Ok Comboomer posted:

we’re officially reaching the point in the Apple Silicon hype cycle where all of the people who were expecting the new MacBook Pros to perform fellatio are having to grapple with the realization that they’re still just computers

They may not perform fellatio, but I'm pretty sure some of the Macrumors posters are using the new Apple cloths to polish their genitals.

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

Can confirm headphone jack works great with 600 ohm headphones, and that this thing has yet to get hot or ramp the fans up

Transferring my mp3 library from my desktop and it’s insane how fast it imports 60 gigs of music at a time

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

We get our work Apple stuff through the Education store and I just got notified the 32 gig 14" Pro I ordered has been delayed to December :( but the 16 gig I ordered the day they were announced just shipped.

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

Data Graham posted:

OK. I mean, like ... I guess I don't know how to read stats like this

Single-core performance is 150% that of an Intel from last year and no better than a vanilla M1 and that's a quantum leap?

Tomb Raider is half the speed of a 3060/3080 laptop? GeekBench is half as well? this is a "monster"?

I'm not trolling, I'm genuinely confused.

The M1 Pro/Max Macbook Pro are machines for professional developers that

-Want to do professional computing e.g. multithreaded, encoding, ML
-Want to do professional audio/visual editing e.g. HDR, high impedance audio, video output

If your use case is

-Chilling and looking cool at a coffee shop get an M1 Macbook Air
-Playing video games get a PS5, PS4, etc.
-Having one machine do everything OK get a windows 10 laptop. There's event hat Asus Zephyrus that you can have light up a big apple on the back.

If you don't need a laptop this year, uh.... wait? I'm positive that next year (or even whatever comes out in 6mo) will provide laptops with even more benefits. Hell, they'll probably have mostly solved the notch bullshit.

I have a question for me, though: can I do streaming from an M1 Mac Mini at home to an iPad on the go? I'm thinking something like Parsec or Moonlight, but to an iPad.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I wonder if the os does any base band-stop filtering on the output. A notch filter, you might say :q:

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Is it smart enough to direct all power from the 96W power adapter to the headphone port if I directly connect a pair of 4 ohm bookshelf speakers?

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Speaking of the notch…

https://twitter.com/Pogue/status/1453593474801020931?s=20

Also, somebody said macrumors was mentioned like the posters are pro Apple, but like 90% of posters there bitch about not having Apple do one specific thing the way they want.

We joke about goons being goons, but that group is very special

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I think the wording there is a little unclear (at least to me) -- if I check that will it adjust the menus so they omit the unavailable notch area?

I think the "fit below" part is just messing with my mind. In my head that means either we're scaling the app and menu to physically exist below the notch (which would be super weird and I'm sure not what it means -- or the menu is bouncing up and down depending on which app is highlighted), or if checked it allows an app to make use of the area "below" the notch (as in, behind), which should be off by default for all apps on notch-macs.

I articulated that terribly.

I don't want to beat a dad horse but if that means the menu bar moves depending on which app I have focused then it's a pretty dumb solution.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Most of the time it just works™ In some cases, the developers need to make changes in the app to make it work.
In the event that this doesn't happen, you have the fallback of that setting. If you really, really don't want the notch you could turn that on for everything and pretend your Mac doesn't have that extra screen space.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Martytoof posted:

I think the wording there is a little unclear (at least to me) -- if I check that will it adjust the menus so they omit the unavailable notch area?

I think the "fit below" part is just messing with my mind. In my head that means either we're scaling the app and menu to physically exist below the notch (which would be super weird and I'm sure not what it means -- or the menu is bouncing up and down depending on which app is highlighted), or if checked it allows an app to make use of the area "below" the notch (as in, behind), which should be off by default for all apps on notch-macs.

and I believe it stays that way until every app that you have that enabled for is closed

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Gotcha, thanks

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Kreeblah posted:

No, add an option to just turn off the pixels to the side of the notch, and move the menu bar underneath. And make it a system-wide setting. It'd leave things at the same aspect ratio as MBPs have been for years, without doing . . . this:

https://twitter.com/Jatodaro/status/1453382287328874497

This really seems like a debugging tool that someone tossed into production as a hail mary, because that’s just about the least elegant way I can imagine to fix that problem.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Baronash posted:

This really seems like a debugging tool that someone tossed into production as a hail mary, because that’s just about the least elegant way I can imagine to fix that problem.

It's only a very minor and temporary problem though

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Why does that option add padding on the left and right instead of just the top? I thought the screen was supposed to be a normal 16:10 resolution, except with just enough extra vertical pixels added for the menubar to extend vertically with the notch. It seems like they could leave the notch vertical space empty and just have a natural 16:10 resolution without affecting the width at all.

Do fullscreen apps that don't use the notch space also shrink horizontally?

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
No they do not.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

doingitwrong posted:

No they do not.

:psyduck:

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer

Martytoof posted:

Curious if anyone else has a delivery estimate of 11/1 but their package has been "In transit" in Shanghai for like three days now. Different timestamps but all say the same, in the same location. Just guesstimating that my 11/1 will slip back to original 11/5 window which is fine but it gives Apple time to push a bugfix for the greatest injustice of our generation, the menubar notch day one bug!

This happened for me but my original estimate from UPS was 11/2. Now it has been a couple days since it shipped and it is till in Shanghai and my delivery date changed to "Check back later" :negative:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah I just got a text that it's back to 11/3 now. Oh well, I'll get it when I get it. Thankfully it's just a tech upgrade for me and I'm not up the creek if it arrives a few days late.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah
VLC in fullscreen puts black bars on the left and right side... Any way to avoid this?

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

As someone not using apps with a million menu bars I’m just excited to have 16:10 full screen app space to work in while the notched menu bar sits above it.

I would be down for software that colors the menu at background black though so the notch doesn’t stand out so much.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

ddogflex posted:

VLC in fullscreen puts black bars on the left and right side... Any way to avoid this?

Somehow the “Scale to fit below menubar” checkbox was turned on my freshly downloaded copy of VLC. Uncheck it and it’ll fullscreen properly.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

kefkafloyd posted:

Somehow the “Scale to fit below menubar” checkbox was turned on my freshly downloaded copy of VLC. Uncheck it and it’ll fullscreen properly.

What the hell. Yeah that was it. Thanks!

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

LionArcher posted:

Speaking of the notch…

https://twitter.com/Pogue/status/1453593474801020931?s=20

Also, somebody said macrumors was mentioned like the posters are pro Apple, but like 90% of posters there bitch about not having Apple do one specific thing the way they want.

We joke about goons being goons, but that group is very special

Somebody posted a link to the original MR iPod reaction thread from 20 years ago here last week and it’s all people furious that it isn’t a new PippinNewton (some people seemed mad it wasn’t a Pippin, IIRC) designed to compete with Palm Pilots, etc.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Oct 28, 2021

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Ok Comboomer posted:

Somebody posted a link to the original MR iPod reaction thread from 20 years ago here last week and it’s all people furious that it isn’t a new Pippin designed to compete with Palm Pilots, etc.

Ahem, I think you mean Newton. :colbert: Rip in peace newton and pippin

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Shart Carbuncle posted:

Ahem, I think you mean Newton. :colbert: Rip in peace newton and pippin

You’re right

Augh :gonk:

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

apple really missed an opportunity by not making the notch a programmable rgb lightstrip when the camera isn't active

if nothing else, it would make the mac a credible gaming platform overnight

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
I got a 14" Pro and I'm real happy with it so far, especially the absurd battery life. First time I've been able to take a machine with dev tooling running away from a power cable any significant length of time.

Literally the only thing that bothers me about the notch is that Bartender doesn't totally play nice with it yet. I was never using that space in the middle anyway, and in fullscreen the mini-LED stuff makes that strip vanish completely, so I have no other reason to care.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Roadie posted:

Literally the only thing that bothers me about the notch is that Bartender doesn't totally play nice with it yet.

If you enable test build in the settings there's been two updates with better notch support so far. The dev seems to really appreciate feedback too.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Rahu posted:

This happened for me but my original estimate from UPS was 11/2. Now it has been a couple days since it shipped and it is till in Shanghai and my delivery date changed to "Check back later" :negative:

I just got a “departed from facility” message so I guess they finally finished using the box to prop open a door and sent it on its way. Hope yours starts moving too!

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
https://youtu.be/ip-uTVBAH7U

https://youtu.be/xRPPLrlUeSA

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Oct 28, 2021

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

anothergod posted:

The M1 Pro/Max Macbook Pro are machines for professional developers that

-Want to do professional computing e.g. multithreaded, encoding, ML

it's not good at all at ML. the tensorflow support is really poor, pytorch doesn't work at all and cuda isn't an option. it's okay for non ML dev stuff though

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Bad Purchase posted:

apple really missed an opportunity by not making the notch a programmable rgb lightstrip when the camera isn't active

if nothing else, it would make the mac a credible gaming platform overnight

Don't let your dreams be dreams, put that poo poo up on the app store and charge $1.99

binarysmurf
Aug 18, 2012

I smurf, therefore I am.

SourKraut posted:

They may not perform fellatio, but I'm pretty sure some of the Macrumors posters are using the new Apple cloths to polish their genitals.

Best goddamn $20 I EVER spent! 😉

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Wow, picking up one of these new machines and looking at it from the side (they are noticably thicker)... gives me deja vu to new unibody machines back in the day.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

the talent deficit posted:

it's not good at all at ML. the tensorflow support is really poor, pytorch doesn't work at all and cuda isn't an option. it's okay for non ML dev stuff though

you might want to try using coreml which has been highly optimised for it - apple publishes some tools to help you convert your poo poo into it https://github.com/apple/coremltools

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
So I am understanding correctly that I can still charge a new 16" with a standard USB-C but just not fastcharge it?

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Small White Dragon posted:

So I am understanding correctly that I can still charge a new 16" with a standard USB-C but just not fastcharge it?

Correct, although normal charge rate needs 90 to 100W and there don't seem to be any USB-C chargers in that range on Amazon with brand names I'd trust.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

chaosbreather posted:

you might want to try using coreml which has been highly optimised for it - apple publishes some tools to help you convert your poo poo into it https://github.com/apple/coremltools

i do ml for a living, i'm aware of coreml. it's not useful unless you are targeting models that need to run on ios devices. the problem with the state of ml on the mac is that i can't use any of the tooling i'm actually going to use in production.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

BobHoward posted:

Correct, although normal charge rate needs 90 to 100W and there don't seem to be any USB-C chargers in that range on Amazon with brand names I'd trust.

if it's like the intel mbps, you can use a lower power usb c charger than the one it shipped with, it will just take longer and if you're maxing out the cpu/gpu the whole time you're plugged in it may not charge at all, or even slowly loose charge. but if your workload is not that demanding, it'll be fine.