Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
Using the virtual desktop VR app is supposed to help as well.

I'm sure I'll update in a month or so, that's just my new plausible excuse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

They fixed the lovely search issue on secondary monitors in the latest kb. Thats good, now let me put a clock down there you fuckers.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Fame Douglas posted:

Rufus doesn't support secure boot, I don't think it should be recommended these days.

https://www.mpnrc.org/windows-11-tpm-2-0-error-fix-bypass-method/
Scroll down to "Windows 11 TPM 2.0 Bypass" to see which registry keys you need to set during a fresh install to skip the checks.

In case you used to boot your system using CSM, you need to delete all partitions (after that, select the empty drive and click Next). Windows 11 will then convert your partitioning scheme from MBR to GPT.

If your system is so old it doesn't support UEFI boot, you probably shouldn't install Windows 11.

Also, first check whether you can enable the fTPM and Secure Boot (usually need to load factory keys first, reboot and then enable it) in the Bios.

My CPU and TPM 2.0 aren't supported on my cpu/mobo. What would be my method for installing in that scenario? I would fail both checks.

Also keep in mind I would prefer to upgrade Windows 10 inside of Windows instead of doing a fresh install.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

My CPU and TPM 2.0 aren't supported on my cpu/mobo. What would be my method for installing in that scenario? I would fail both checks.

Also keep in mind I would prefer to upgrade Windows 10 inside of Windows instead of doing a fresh install.

Create a new USB drive using Microsoft's Media Creation Tool, delete appraiserres.dll in the sources directory and disable your internet connection. Then run setup.exe

If it still doesn't work, your system might be booting in Legacy mode (run msinfo32 and check BIOS mode - this should say "UEFI"). Do not create a spliced together installer to rectify this, as that may cause the next feature update to fail. Instead, check whether your system does support UEFI boot (likely if the system isn't pretty old) and convert your partitioning scheme to GPT.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Okay, just tested it out in a VM and my Windows 10 install would update just fine to Windows 11 even in Legacy mode - I guess that's not an issue when updating

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Fame Douglas posted:

Create a new USB drive using Microsoft's Media Creation Tool, delete appraiserres.dll in the sources directory and disable your internet connection. Then run setup.exe

If it still doesn't work, your system might be booting in Legacy mode (run msinfo32 and check BIOS mode - this should say "UEFI"). Do not create a spliced together installer to rectify this, as that may cause the next feature update to fail. Instead, check whether your system does support UEFI boot (likely if the system isn't pretty old) and convert your partitioning scheme to GPT.

Thank you. I did what you said with the USB stick and the file and no internet but it still failed to install. I checked the bios and I don't think UEFI is an option so I guess I'm hosed. It's an i7, albeit a really old one (930), but it's overclocked to 4.0 ghz and has 24gb of ram so it should definitely be good enough to run it but it looks like I'll never know!

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
I'm so bored and tempted to install win 11, just to have something 'new'. But my machine on Win 10 is so light and fast, there's no bloat or bugs of any kind. This is very much 'if it ain't broke don't fix it'. But, so tempting nonetheless...

henpod fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Oct 28, 2021

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

henpod posted:

I'm so bored and tempted to install win 11, just to have something 'new'. But my machine on Win 10 is so light and fast, there's no bloat or bugs of any kind. This is very much 'if it ain't broke don't fix it'. But, so tempting nonetheless...

Why don't you try dual booting?

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Why don't you try dual booting?

I'm a big dummy and mess up the most simplest things and will end up making something slower, or file systems messier, or whatever. Are you saying I can choose which OS to start with, and if I don't like 11, I can just 'delete' it, and then my pc will boot up as normal from 10 as if nothing happened?

Edit - yeah, this requires creating partitions and stuff. I know they aren't complicated but I know I will gently caress it up. Thanks anyway :), I think i'll wait a bit longer for 11.

henpod fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Oct 28, 2021

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

henpod posted:

I'm a big dummy and mess up the most simplest things and will end up making something slower, or file systems messier, or whatever. Are you saying I can choose which OS to start with, and if I don't like 11, I can just 'delete' it, and then my pc will boot up as normal from 10 as if nothing happened?

Edit - yeah, this requires creating partitions and stuff. I know they aren't complicated but I know I will gently caress it up. Thanks anyway :), I think i'll wait a bit longer for 11.

Fair enough. Are you running anything in particular you're worried won't work? I've been using 11 for a few months and haven't encountered any major issues.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Fair enough. Are you running anything in particular you're worried won't work? I've been using 11 for a few months and haven't encountered any major issues.

Not really. I just have my Windows 10 set up in such a nice, neat minimalist way. Everything just 'works' and its very fast. I figure updating to 11, which is still very much a WIP from what I hear may end up being slower or something.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
There's no need for dual-boot or partitioning. You can revert back to Windows 10 for 10 days after the upgrade. After that, the previous version gets deleted automatically .

Personally, if I wanted to try out the new version, I'd create a full system backup with Macrium Reflect before upgrading.

Windows 11 isn't slower (well, the animations are, but I have all of those disabled), but it's very much a half-baked work in progress. To me, it'd be entirely unusable were it not for StartAllBack.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
The windows 11 start menu search starts taking up to 20 seconds to find files when then internet isnt working.... wonderful

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

redeyes posted:

The windows 11 start menu search starts taking up to 20 seconds to find files when then internet isnt working.... wonderful

OpenShell my friend

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

OpenShell my friend
Im just testing it on a 'garage' computer. Gotta see whats up.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Thank you. I did what you said with the USB stick and the file and no internet but it still failed to install. I checked the bios and I don't think UEFI is an option so I guess I'm hosed. It's an i7, albeit a really old one (930), but it's overclocked to 4.0 ghz and has 24gb of ram so it should definitely be good enough to run it but it looks like I'll never know!

Have you tried another USB stick? Specifically a USB 2.0 one if available, and try different USB ports.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

A friend of mine made the windows 11 install flash drive and copied the windows 10 install.esd file (from a windows 10 media creation tool usb flash drive) to the windows 11 one and installed it on his first gen core i7 machine so he's probably using similar hardware to what you have. That said, I don't know if he had UEFI on his motherboard or any other details than him swapping that one file. For him it just bypassed whatever install checks the windows 11 one was trying to do and he got a working install.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Thanks for the replies!

The only method that "worked" for me was using a very specific version of Rufus and telling it I have a non-UEFI BIOS, to use MBR, and to patch out the TPM and CPU checks. Even then I could not run the install from inside Windows, I had to boot from the USB drive. On top of all that, the only way it will install is if it's a completely fresh install. It will not allow me to upgrade. Which really sucks rear end because setting up this computer was a huge pain in the rear end; so much so that I am probably not going to bother with Windows 11. Unless there's some fugazi way I can upgrade from the boot media instead of fresh install.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Deactivating the internet connection seems to be key for the upgrade, my VM wouldn't update with an active internet connection even with appraiserres.dll deleted. Windows 11 no longer officially supports MBR partitioning schemes and legacy BIOS, but it did upgrade just fine on my VM. But that's likely to be your issue.

Splicing together Windows installers is an option to rectify that, but I wouldn't bet on the Windows 11 updater successfully updating your system to the next feature version next year after having done so.

Basically, try deleting appraiserres.dll. Rufus doesn't patch out anything, it just creates the registry keys to skip the Secure Boot and TPM check. And these are only relevant for fresh installs.

Fame Douglas fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Oct 28, 2021

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Fame Douglas posted:

Deactivating the internet connection seems to be key for the upgrade, my VM wouldn't update with an active internet connection even with appraiserres.dll deleted. Windows 11 no longer officially supports MBR partitioning schemes and legacy BIOS, but it did upgrade just fine on my VM. But that's likely to be your issue.

Splicing together Windows installers is an option to rectify that, but I wouldn't bet on the Windows 11 updater successfully updating your system to the next feature version next year after having done so.

Basically, try deleting appraiserres.dll. Rufus doesn't patch out anything, it just creates the registry keys to skip the Secure Boot and TPM check. And these are only relevant for fresh installs.

Yeah I deleted that file and disabled my internet and the installer would get to like 20% and then just close

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
Switched over this morning to see what it was like. Everything looked washed out and even with messing around with ICC profiles, it did nothing for the lack of color saturation. Does anyone else have this problem?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Does StartAllBack publish a changelog anywhere? It's getting fairly frequent updates and I'm just curious what they are.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Does StartAllBack publish a changelog anywhere? It's getting fairly frequent updates and I'm just curious what they are.

The author does publish changelogs in this forums thread https://msfn.org/board/topic/183013-startallback-for-windows-11/

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Shadowhand00 posted:

Switched over this morning to see what it was like. Everything looked washed out and even with messing around with ICC profiles, it did nothing for the lack of color saturation. Does anyone else have this problem?

Did it switch on HDR mode for some weird reason? Go into display settings and make sure that's turned off (or if you have an HDR monitor, turn on your monitor's HDR mode)

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Oct 29, 2021

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Shadowhand00 posted:

Perhaps it reset the color profile from ycbcr to rgb for example. It's in resolution settings in nvidia control panel at the bottom, or display tab in radeon software.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Yeah I deleted that file and disabled my internet and the installer would get to like 20% and then just close

did it do that with multiple USB sticks or did you only try with the one?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Fame Douglas posted:

The author does publish changelogs in this forums thread https://msfn.org/board/topic/183013-startallback-for-windows-11/

Thanks beautiful (I need to play less Apex Legends).

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Anyone else getting this random rear end bug of doing a screen share in teams on a windows 11 box and your mic suddenly stops working?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Heran Bago posted:

did it do that with multiple USB sticks or did you only try with the one?

I never heard of a USB drive causing the issue but because of your post I copy and pasted the USB drive to a folder on the PC and ran setup and it did the same thing. Setup just closed itself at like 30%

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
this question legit is not intended as a troll (even though it might read that way, apologies):

what is the killer feature that motivated you to move to windows 11. what is the particular unique functionality that might incentivize me to upgrade and stomach the UI changes? what is the thing that you can only do on 11 but cannot on 10 and very specifically, right now, not a future announced functionality.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

CoolCab posted:

this question legit is not intended as a troll (even though it might read that way, apologies):

what is the killer feature that motivated you to move to windows 11. what is the particular unique functionality that might incentivize me to upgrade and stomach the UI changes? what is the thing that you can only do on 11 but cannot on 10 and very specifically, right now, not a future announced functionality.

it's new

that was the only reason for me. i am now contemplating wiping it and reinstalling windows 10

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

CoolCab posted:

I gotta admit, the centered start menu/taskbar icons are real nice for my dual ultrawide setup. Though it's not like you couldn't find a workaround for that on previous versions of Windows.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

CoolCab posted:

For me, the animations and general aesthetic. Though I loving hate the changes to the taskbar, but StartAllBack addresses all my complaints.

They really need to get their poo poo together with the native apps though, Mail and Calendar haven't changed much in nearly 10 years.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Search and Settings are like a hundred times better, and the UI is much snappier overall. Pinned programs and recent files right in the start menu is pretty handy. Being able to bring a group of windows back into the foreground instead of individually clicking everything is pretty great.

Unless you're on a touch device then you really don't need to upgrade right now, but I don't regret doing so. The only real issue is if you want to change the behaviour of the taskbar, but there's third party options for that already.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

CoolCab posted:

GUI apps in WSL2 and Android.

Other than that ooh shiny.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Updates are smaller, quicker and less intrusive as well. In fact I haven't heard a peep about people trying to disable them, unlike with 10. Is that a thing people are doing with 11?

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
I was working remote and it was indicted that we would be going from Windows 10 to 11 sooner than later so when I saw that replacing install.wim from Windows 11 ISO in a Windows 10 ISO would trick my two non compliant computers I use for work into a install, I decided to do it.

Of course, I got laid off so it seems pointless now but might as well use it.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
I just wanted to see it run, and after several hours I threw StartAllBack at it and it was nice! It’s on my older rig, which is mainly full of files and photos and music, as well as backups for my other systems (not on any network, my new computer and laptop back up to USB sticks and manually copied to the Win11 machine). I don’t really use any of the newer UI elements but the few games on it (it is capable of connecting to the internet, I just unplug the Ethernet cord after updates or other weekly tasks) run well and it actually does seem a bit “snappier” than my 2021 computer, at least until my BiL gave me 64GB of RAM his department had left after their 2020 hardware updates. I’m willing to wait a while to update on my new computer yet, just want to give it a while to work out the bugs since everything is working and tweaked on the newer system. Hopefully MS will listen to some feedback and give us options lacking in 11 atm. The only thing that made me jump from 7->10 was the deadline for the “free” copy of 10, so even if I hate it I’d upgrade before it stopped being free :rolldice::homebrew:

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

DerekSmartymans posted:

I just wanted to see it run, and after several hours I threw StartAllBack at it and it was nice! It’s on my older rig, which is mainly full of files and photos and music, as well as backups for my other systems (not on any network, my new computer and laptop back up to USB sticks and manually copied to the Win11 machine). I don’t really use any of the newer UI elements but the few games on it (it is capable of connecting to the internet, I just unplug the Ethernet cord after updates or other weekly tasks) run well and it actually does seem a bit “snappier” than my 2021 computer, at least until my BiL gave me 64GB of RAM his department had left after their 2020 hardware updates. I’m willing to wait a while to update on my new computer yet, just want to give it a while to work out the bugs since everything is working and tweaked on the newer system. Hopefully MS will listen to some feedback and give us options lacking in 11 atm. The only thing that made me jump from 7->10 was the deadline for the “free” copy of 10, so even if I hate it I’d upgrade before it stopped being free :rolldice::homebrew:

Win 7 to Win 10 is still free the deadline was a lie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
The update was seamless. Nothing broke, which is par for the course with M$, in my experience. The UI is not bothering me especially because all the apps I use were already pinned so the start menu being borked was not an issue.

Round corners, lol, I just noticed in a screenshot oh yeah, that's what they had on XP and 7.

All my games run fine, I haven't benchmarked but I know what the limiting factors are and it's not the OS. All my productivity stuff, PS, LibreOffice, etc work as intended with only a few little apps throwing UI problems.

And yeah I went from 7 to 10 on a lot of machines and had no regrets there so I figured I'd check it out, haven't felt the need to roll back.