Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which horse film is your favorite?
This poll is closed.
Black Beauty 2 1.06%
A Talking Pony!?! 4 2.13%
Mr. Hands 2x Apple Flavor 117 62.23%
War Horse 11 5.85%
Mr. Hands 54 28.72%
Total: 188 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Whats the benefit?

The benefit is that, if the number of protective antibodies has declined, they should (hopefully) go back up, making it less likely that I will get infected, and less likely that any infection that does occur will have severe consequences. That seems worth a trip to the pharmacist and a slightly sore arm to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

There at least seems to be enough benefit that even US health authorities have told everybody to go grab one at 6 months, expanding it to include even conditions like depression. But it's not like we're the only ones doing this. Or the first. My pharmacy or health department is the terminal destination for these vaccines due to storage requirements, and lemme tell ya there ain't no line out the door anywhere I've looked. To "steal" a dose even in the abstract I'd have to drive like 4 hours to find a place with J&J whose storage requirements could possibly allow for re-distribution

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

Victar posted:

Today I read a current (published Oct. 27, 2021) AP news article about a cheap antidepressant (fluvoxamine) that might hold promise for treating COVID.

https://apnews.com/article/coronavirus-pandemic-science-health-antidepressants-db60608bedde0149247ce9a64a394802

Key quote: "Researchers tested the pill used for depression and obsessive-compulsive disorder because it was known to reduce inflammation and looked promising in smaller studies."

I think that means even though fluvoxamine's primary use is to help with brain chemical imbalances, it also has an anti-inflammation effect, and that could potentially improve COVID survival rates. A small study on 1,500 people in Brazil showed promise.

Disclaimer: Although the article seems genuine to me at first glance, I am absolutely not any kind of medical professional.

My wife takes fluvoxamine for OCPD and lol if anyone starts taking this prophylacticly if they don’t desperately need it.

Natty Ninefingers
Feb 17, 2011
Suicidal ideation seems like one hell of a side effect to have.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

I’m pretty sure the CDC made so many qualifiers because the Biden administration wants everyone to take a booster to reduce spread, whereas the pedants at the FDA (and CDC) and in Blue MAGA land are determined to Make America 2019 Again. Boosters means the pandemic is still something to be concerned about; their goal is to convince people Covid is now just another flu, no big deal bro.

e: I read it a lot from individuals in this camp a lot on twitter. The refrain I see most often is, “Where’s the off-ramp?” This was also the thrust of a recent NYT article about NPIs at universities like Harvard that have extremely high vaccination rates.

Gio fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Oct 28, 2021

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

Victar posted:

Today I read a current (published Oct. 27, 2021) AP news article about a cheap antidepressant (fluvoxamine) that might hold promise for treating COVID.

https://apnews.com/article/coronavirus-pandemic-science-health-antidepressants-db60608bedde0149247ce9a64a394802

Key quote: "Researchers tested the pill used for depression and obsessive-compulsive disorder because it was known to reduce inflammation and looked promising in smaller studies."

I think that means even though fluvoxamine's primary use is to help with brain chemical imbalances, it also has an anti-inflammation effect, and that could potentially improve COVID survival rates. A small study on 1,500 people in Brazil showed promise.

Disclaimer: Although the article seems genuine to me at first glance, I am absolutely not any kind of medical professional.

yeah uh, this is not gonna be used because using antidepressants especially prozac off label like this would not be beneficial especially because its not gonna be pleasent on the come up, and loving hell on the come down. Brain zap feelings are a side effect that is fairly common, and well oh boy some of those side effects can be ugly. Doctors really aren't going to push this because the actual effectiveness is low and not worth the added risks. This came up a month back or so as a preprint and it was laughed off before because the outcomes aren't really improved enough to justify the sheer fact that it primarily affects the brain, everything else is just a small effect that other meds are more useful for.

edit: lmfao the dosage is 100mg 3 times daily, which is literally the standard MAX dose for antidepressant use. That's abjectly insane and the effects on the patient during the 15 days are going to be horrible. I cannot imagine being tossed on an antidepressent at literally one of the highest standard doses and feeling my brain literally on fire as that medication doesn't even get a ramp up to adjust to it.

UCS Hellmaker fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Oct 28, 2021

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

Gio posted:

I’m pretty sure the CDC made so many qualifiers because the Biden administration wants everyone to take a booster to reduce spread, whereas the pedants at the FDA (and CDC) and in Blue MAGA land are determined to Make America 2019 Again. Boosters means the pandemic is still something to be concerned about; their goal is to convince people Covid is now just another flu, no big deal bro.

e: I read it a lot from individuals in this camp a lot on twitter. The refrain I see most often is, “Where’s the off-ramp?” This was also the thrust of a recent NYT article about NPIs at universities like Harvard that have extremely high vaccination rates.

This is my read as well. The civil service is basically Chise and the administration/Walensky are in line with Israel in that they see the pandemic as basically an ongoing problem that can be cured if we just spam more vaccines.

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

UCS Hellmaker posted:

yeah uh, this is not gonna be used because using antidepressants especially prozac off label like this would not be beneficial especially because its not gonna be pleasent on the come up, and loving hell on the come down. Brain zap feelings are a side effect that is fairly common, and well oh boy some of those side effects can be ugly. Doctors really aren't going to push this because the actual effectiveness is low and not worth the added risks. This came up a month back or so as a preprint and it was laughed off before because the outcomes aren't really improved enough to justify the sheer fact that it primarily affects the brain, everything else is just a small effect that other meds are more useful for.

a million chuds feeling brain zaps as they hork down ssris to cure their Covid will really cement the 5g conspiracies

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

nexous posted:

a million chuds feeling brain zaps as they hork down ssris to cure their Covid will really cement the 5g conspiracies

Not to mention the sexual side effects

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

nexous posted:

My wife takes fluvoxamine for OCPD and lol if anyone starts taking this prophylacticly if they don’t desperately need it.

Yeah I'm pretty sure if anti-inflammatory is your goal there's easier ways to achieve it

This seems like one of those "why did X population see an atypical result" study and not one that's gonna recommend it for everybody, if not for ethics then because it's a cheap generic

If they were testing for its potential deployment that's uh...man a really bad idea, tho of course I'm not speaking as a medicine guy but the unique benefit would definitely need to be beyond "reduces inflammation"

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
like, reading this paper jesus gently caress who the gently caress made this dosing regime

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
oh my god there's literally no discussion of side effects. like absolutely none in this paper. Its a push piece and absolutely should be discussing the side effects from the patients taking this massive amount of a medication that primarily effects the brain. Serotine syndrome is a massive complication especially at those high doses and statistically there would be some patients that experience it. They only state 84 people backed out from tolerance issues which is not reliable. Lmfao this is garbage poo poo and people will be rushing to take it and actively end up with signficant harm because NOTHING is detailed for what may occur.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Look you get all the fun of the side effects of a high dose of a antidepressants and the withdrawal of a high dose of antidepressants all within a month!

That'll be one hell of a ride.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Who on Earth approved that

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

The CDC isn't some constant conspiracy you need to defeat and scam. If they say that you: a 30 something stay at home with no major immune issues are probably not going to benefit from a booster at this time, they might just actually mean that, they might not be trying to trick you where you need to pull out some weird "b...b....b....but I get colds sometimes!" thing. If you went and got an antibody test right now, they know the odds are for you it'd show appropriate levels of antibodies to protect you as is, so have not recommended the shot for you.

Good old OOCC, charging full-tilt at windmills that don't even exist.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Epic High Five posted:

Who on Earth approved that

Looks like a bunch of the main researchers were from McMaster so I'm going to chock it up to living in Hamilton. Inhaling steel fumes is bad for your judgement.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

A couple polls on Kid Vaxx by Kaiser Family Foundation.

https://twitter.com/kff/status/1453705361744089090?s=21

https://twitter.com/kff/status/1453716686595575808?s=21

I don’t really think there is a positive way to spin these numbers. Could they change? Sure. But if a third are “definitely not” vaccinating their 5-11 year old and another third are “wait and see,” I’ll change my prediction to no higher than 50% of 5-11 year olds will get vaccinated. (Shooting from the hip here.)

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Not a child haver but that doesn’t surprise me much. I know people are generally more risk adverse for their kids than themselves so unless they’re forced to by school districts or something, I don’t see it happening as much as adults. I’d also imagine chud parents would be even more rabid when it involves their kids.

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

My 2 year old is getting vaccinated at the first possible opportunity.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Mr. Pardiggle posted:

Not a child haver but that doesn’t surprise me much. I know people are generally more risk adverse for their kids than themselves so unless they’re forced to by school districts or something, I don’t see it happening as much as adults. I’d also imagine chud parents would be even more rabid when it involves their kids.

I am risk adverse towards my children thats why my 11 yr old was vaccinated before schools reopened.

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.
Weird what happens to people when you have a predatory healthcare system focused primarily on extracting as much wealth as possible from people, only to pivot on one particular treatment/vaccine and say it's free.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
My wife and I will be beating down the door at the pediatrician's office to get our not-quite 4yo her shot as soon as it's available. Which will definitely not be soon enough to save Thanksgiving and Christmas for my unvaccinated and non-masking mother. Thankfully my in-laws are wonderful, and are 100% vaccinated and getting their boosters as well.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Bel Shazar posted:

I am risk adverse towards my children thats why my 11 yr old was vaccinated before schools reopened.

There's this weird psychological gap between "if I choose to vaccinate my child, and something goes wrong it's my fault" and "if I don't vaccinate my child, and they get COVID and get a side-effect or a serious case, then it's God's will" or whatever. I don't fully get it, but it's definitely a very common hazardous attitude.

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure
I don’t know why you child havers are so set on vaccinations. Wait for the empirical evidence that the CDC and FDA can interpret for you, to tell you what you should do. Please do not booster bandit vaccinations at this time. You may end up giving your child autism

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

nexous posted:

I don’t know why you child havers are so set on vaccinations. Wait for the empirical evidence that the CDC and FDA can interpret for you, to tell you what you should do. Please do not booster bandit vaccinations at this time. You may end up giving your child autism

the flying gently caress is wrong with you

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

nexous posted:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Shut the gently caress up.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Folks, I do believe that was sarcasm.

If you take issue with the snarky attitude, O.K, fair enough, but I don’t know why that is being read as a serious suggestion that vaccines cause autism.

I found it to be clear from the text itself, but I also recall Nexous’s behavior in this thread as being incongruous with antivaccine sentiment.

nexous posted:

Again, vaccines own and everyone should get vaccinated. They are not useless and will be the primary way we can “learn to live with Covid.”

nexous posted:

Yes I have very high hopes for the combo vaccines. Hopefully before too long we can fasttrsck Covid vaccine updates like we do the flu vaccine and just get your yearly jab

But if we can barely get 60% to get a vaccine, what percent are gonna get one every year?

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

Platystemon posted:

Folks, I do believe that was sarcasm.

If you take issue with the snarky attitude, O.K, fair enough, but I don’t know why that is being read as a serious suggestion that vaccines cause autism.

I found it to be clear from the text itself, but I also recall Nexous’s behavior in this thread as being incongruous with antivaccine sentiment.

poo poo like that can go elsewhere, its not funny or beneficial. especially when you have people screaming the same line everywhere

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Sarcastic or not it was a lovely worthless sentiment that imo crosses a line for this thread. You can criticize the FDA and CDC all you want in here, clearly, but anytime folks want to stop inventing strawmen to yell at, go ahead. Go bother your conservative family members on social media, this thread isn't full of anti-vaxxers. And you don't have to be an anti-vax weirdo to want some sort of regulatory body to ensure that it's going to be safe for your kid, what the hell?

E: okay I just saw the probe reason and lmao'd a little at CommieGIR for not catching the sarcasm, but it was still a bad post for the stuff I pointed out.

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Oct 29, 2021

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005

Tomberforce posted:

My 2 year old is getting vaccinated at the first possible opportunity.

I have a 4 year old and its a bit annoying since its right on the edge of the 5 to 12 range.

First chance we get she'll be vaccinated too.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Professor Beetus posted:

Sarcastic or not it was a lovely worthless sentiment that imo crosses a line for this thread. You can criticize the FDA and CDC all you want in here, clearly, but anytime folks want to stop inventing strawmen to yell at, go ahead. Go bother your conservative family members on social media, this thread isn't full of anti-vaxxers. And you don't have to be an anti-vax weirdo to want some sort of regulatory body to ensure that it's going to be safe for your kid, what the hell?

E: okay I just saw the probe reason and lmao'd a little at CommieGIR for not catching the sarcasm, but it was still a bad post for the stuff I pointed out.

I think the message was, "Wait for the CDC and FDA recommendations. Don't run an amateur medical experiment on your kid or you may get an unfortunate result." If he'd said a third arm sprouting out of their back or something instead of autism, it would have landed better.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Deteriorata posted:

I think the message was, "Wait for the CDC and FDA recommendations. Don't run an amateur medical experiment on your kid or you may get an unfortunate result." If he'd said a third arm sprouting out of their back or something instead of autism, it would have landed better.

Nah.

It’s sarcasm, but you may be correct that a third arm joke would have spared Nexous the probe.

quote:

I don’t know why you child havers are so set on vaccinations.

This is dripping with the feeling that “I, too, am frustrated that my child can’t get a lifesaving vaccine”.

quote:

Wait for the empirical evidence that the CDC and FDA can interpret for you, to tell you what you should do. Please do not booster bandit vaccinations at this time. You may end up giving your child autism

This, in sincere rather than sarcastic language, is something like “I don’t need to wait for some bureaucrats to stamp it. I’ve seen enough. Do get your child vaccinated by any means necessary. There’s nothing to worry about, which I will illustrate by raising a fear which we all know to be ridiculous and trivially dismissed”.

I cannot endorse this message, but I’m pretty sure I understand where Nexous is coming from.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Oct 29, 2021

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Deteriorata posted:

I can't see into the heart of hearts of every poster, but based on some of their prior posting in this thread, I do not think they actually think people should be waiting on the CDC and FDA, or that anything from those agencies is trustworthy. If I'm wrong on that, then so be it, but that's the dice you roll when you post something that sounds kinda lovely from multiple angles and doesn't land well.

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

PT6A posted:

There's this weird psychological gap between "if I choose to vaccinate my child, and something goes wrong it's my fault" and "if I don't vaccinate my child, and they get COVID and get a side-effect or a serious case, then it's God's will" or whatever. I don't fully get it, but it's definitely a very common hazardous attitude.

Imagine a scenario where a train is speeding towards 5 people on a track. You have the opportunity to pull a lever and redirect the train towards 3 people on a separate track.

Do you feel that it’s better to save 2 net people? Or do you feel that the moment you insert yourself into the situation and pull the lever that you become responsible for killing 3 people who would otherwise have lived, whereas otherwise things were simply taking their course without your input?

The people you are describing fall into the latter camp, just without much clarity into the exact consequence of their action (vaccinating their child).

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The Trolley Problem would be far less contentious if there were a thousand people on one track and one on the other.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Gio posted:

A couple polls on Kid Vaxx by Kaiser Family Foundation.

https://twitter.com/kff/status/1453705361744089090?s=21

https://twitter.com/kff/status/1453716686595575808?s=21

I don’t really think there is a positive way to spin these numbers. Could they change? Sure. But if a third are “definitely not” vaccinating their 5-11 year old and another third are “wait and see,” I’ll change my prediction to no higher than 50% of 5-11 year olds will get vaccinated. (Shooting from the hip here.)

84% of lower-income parents think not enough is known about the effects of the vaccine on children, and 74% think it'll affect their child's fertility (?????).

If there is any bright spot in this, it's that reluctance toward the adult vaccines did drop over time, with more people willing to get the shot once they'd seen that the early adopters' balls didn't explode.

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

Professor Beetus posted:

I can't see into the heart of hearts of every poster, but based on some of their prior posting in this thread, I do not think they actually think people should be waiting on the CDC and FDA, or that anything from those agencies is trustworthy. If I'm wrong on that, then so be it, but that's the dice you roll when you post something that sounds kinda lovely from multiple angles and doesn't land well.

I think he was just making fun of a certain other poster

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Professor Beetus posted:

too much sarcasm

In my experience, people with children have a different perspective than those without. That post was sarcasm, if you have kids it might well cross the line into way too snarky rear end in a top hat who should gently caress off sarcasm.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

ElrondHubbard posted:

Imagine a scenario where a train is speeding towards 5 people on a track. You have the opportunity to pull a lever and redirect the train towards 3 people on a separate track.

Do you feel that it’s better to save 2 net people? Or do you feel that the moment you insert yourself into the situation and pull the lever that you become responsible for killing 3 people who would otherwise have lived, whereas otherwise things were simply taking their course without your input?

The people you are describing fall into the latter camp, just without much clarity into the exact consequence of their action (vaccinating their child).

I'd wait until after reading the peer reviewed literature before I take any action in this or any other scenario.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Healthy young child goes to doctor, gets pumped with massive shot of many vaccines, doesn’t feel good and changes – AUTISM. Many such cases!