Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

MorningMoon posted:

Still on my first playthrough, past the area that unlocked with the grapple beam. Game still loving rules. But also

https://twitter.com/morningmoonmeme/status/1453124742324449286

I don't wanna know the answer but what in the gently caress

It took SonicMega a few tries, but they did that puzzle in a cool way.

https://clips.twitch.tv/ConsiderateJollyPotPMSTwin-45Q784AOX9dFbPIW

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

amigolupus posted:

It took SonicMega a few tries, but they did that puzzle in a cool way.

Yeah, that was basically how I did it.

https://twitter.com/SamFaustus/status/1447809717586128897?s=20

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

I Am Just a Box posted:

Or if you don't feel like waiting, get speedy.

This is how I did it. I’m glad to see I wasn’t the only one who came up with that strat.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

tbh, I did it this way even with cross bombs because of how finicky the cross bombs can be sometimes

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Washington State’s Department of Agriculture is using EMMIs to hunt murder hornets.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

drat that boss in Ferenia after bypassing (and dying a million times to) the scanning EMMI is turning out to be, for me, a total fart to fight. It flies around too fast and has a shell on it that gives immunity if attacked from the wrong direction, which is really easy to find myself doing because it flits around the screen so much shooting its stupid purple blasts.

I know this is an old-school game and that's great and I'm loving that about it but at the same time I really would love having an options screen that lets me enable boss healthbars so that I know exactly how well I'm doing. People don't want that? Absolutely fantastic we got you covered; don't tick the box.

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

Cactus posted:

drat that boss in Ferenia after bypassing (and dying a million times to) the scanning EMMI is turning out to be, for me, a total fart to fight. It flies around too fast and has a shell on it that gives immunity if attacked from the wrong direction, which is really easy to find myself doing because it flits around the screen so much shooting its stupid purple blasts.

I know this is an old-school game and that's great and I'm loving that about it but at the same time I really would love having an options screen that lets me enable boss healthbars so that I know exactly how well I'm doing. People don't want that? Absolutely fantastic we got you covered; don't tick the box.

Optional Strategy: It is pretty easy to charge a shinespark by starting outside his room, and run inside, get the boost, and store it. You can spark into him just as he flies in and take a good chunk of his HP away - I'm not sure exactly how much (someone here probably knows) - but I would guess around 75% of his hp disappears with a shinespark. He is a bit of a slog otherwise, unless you were sequence breaking to have out of order items.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

ROJO posted:

Optional Strategy: It is pretty easy to charge a shinespark by starting outside his room, and run inside, get the boost, and store it. You can spark into him just as he flies in and take a good chunk of his HP away - I'm not sure exactly how much (someone here probably knows) - but I would guess around 75% of his hp disappears with a shinespark. He is a bit of a slog otherwise, unless you were sequence breaking to have out of order items.

Is that where you dash and press down and then shoot up to the ceiling? I never even considered that to be a boss fight option...

edit: I don't have a "shinespark" ability if it isn't that, does that mean I accidentally sequence broke somewhere? I think I accidentally got the x-ray ability early right after getting flash shift, because I did a bit of an obscure-looking shift to get it and then hours later the main path took me through that section and everything was already collected.

Cactus fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Oct 28, 2021

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Cactus posted:

Is that where you dash and press down and then shoot up to the ceiling? I never even considered that to be a boss fight option...

edit: I don't have a "shinespark" ability if it isn't that, does that mean I accidentally sequence broke somewhere?

Shine sparks are built into the speedbooster.

Get a speed boost going, then crouch. This stocks the spark. As long as the spark is there, you can jump without pressing in any directions to start the shinespark. During that small delay before you go flying, you can input a direction to choose where the spark goes.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Cactus posted:

edit: I don't have a "shinespark" ability if it isn't that, does that mean I accidentally sequence broke somewhere?

Yeah that's it. It shouldn't be needed though.

A good general boss fight strategy is just to just focus on learning how to not die first and foremost. Once you're good at not getting hit then you can start working in what damage you can where you can. This isn't super metroid where you can ignore mechanics and tank hits while you pump missiles into the boss. A lot of bosses where I died 20+ times on my first playthrough, I can absolutely clown on now like it's nothing. The only thing that changed is that I learned how not to get hit, the damage comes later.

That specific boss is a real pain though, but luckily it has a really small health pool so it goes down pretty quick once you get a few good hits in. Take your time and don't take unnecessary hits.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Oh wow is it multi-directional? I could only get it to go directly up or down.

quote:

A good general boss fight strategy is just to just focus on learning how to not die first and foremost. Once you're good at not getting hit then you can start working in what damage you can where you can. This isn't super metroid where you can ignore mechanics and tank hits while you pump missiles into the boss. A lot of bosses where I died 20+ times on my first playthrough, I can absolutely clown on now like it's nothing. The only thing that changed is that I learned how not to get hit, the damage comes later.

Yeah I know it's like every game with bosses, I'm just impatient and want to get it dead.

Cactus fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Oct 28, 2021

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Cactus posted:

Yeah I know it's like every game with bosses, I'm just impatient and want to get it dead.

For what it's worth I think that's the only boss I gave up on trying to survive and decided to just attrition it down, though I can't really recommend that. I never really got the knack for avoiding the swarm of little black dots it shoots out. It's HP pool is small enough to accept a few hits there though.

I'd say it's one of the hardest bosses in the game, albeit extremely cheesable though shine sparking or a sequence breaks.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I'm sure I'll muddle through tomorrow once I've slept on it. Despite my whining I actually like the pacing that the difficulty of this game encourages. If I play for too long I run into one of several roadblocks. It's either an EMMI region that tries my patience untill I press B, or it's a boss, or it's just simply not knowing where
I'm supposed to go next, so I quit for the day and come back tomorrow or the next. It's extending the length of the game without it feeling like I'm playing through loads of padding or side-stuff. Great game design. Frustrating bosses, but they're all beatable so far.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Cactus posted:

Oh wow is it multi-directional? I could only get it to go directly up or down.

Here's a good speedbooster/shinespark tutorial:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hefdYCA0Vg8

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

cheeky gatling strat:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIleQU85efE&t=5882s

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Cactus posted:

Whats strange to me is how Nintendo has the "hey you died 10 times, want us to just give you invincibility for this stage?" option for games and the one time I sort of wanted to let them do that in this game, its not here at all.

Or yeah, even a health bar so I knew just how much more I had to survive before victory would have been nice.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Cactus posted:

Funnily enough that IS an option built into the game. You can only enable it by modding the game's config.ini via Switch hacking, though

Check the AIManager tab :v:

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have
I'm really confused, I walked into the boss fight with the Robot Chozo in Ghavoran unprepared and died, so I went back to the refill station. When I went back to the room (After dying the first time and respawning outside of its room!) it was marked as beaten, just wasn't in the room anymore and replaced by regular enemies. Anyone else had a glitch like this?

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Tampa Bae posted:

I'm really confused, I walked into the boss fight with the Robot Chozo in Ghavoran unprepared and died, so I went back to the refill station. When I went back to the room (After dying the first time and respawning outside of its room!) it was marked as beaten, just wasn't in the room anymore and replaced by regular enemies. Anyone else had a glitch like this?

Do you think you could have killed it in the same frame when you died? It’s death animation takes a while and I do know this game tends to favor the player in the event of a “draw”

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Do you think you could have killed it in the same frame when you died? It’s death animation takes a while and I do know this game tends to favor the player in the event of a “draw”
It's possible, I spawned outside the door with barely any health and I would've ended up dying to the red melee attack

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Tampa Bae posted:

It's possible, I spawned outside the door with barely any health and I would've ended up dying to the red melee attack

If you didn't have basically no health before you went in, that means you did kill it right before you died and you reverted to the health you had at the last checkpoint (ie the kill).

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

This is an amazing EMMI defeat right here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdU7BfJevf0

HenryEx posted:

Funnily enough that IS an option built into the game. You can only enable it by modding the game's config.ini via Switch hacking, though

Check the AIManager tab :v:

I’m glad they didn’t include boss health bars. Not necessary really at all, and makes the game better with surprises that you defeated the boss for the first time, instead of knowing when it will happen.

Good Sphere fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Oct 28, 2021

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
After stewing for a while after beating it, I think I'm ready to say this may be the best metroid game.

Super Metroid was better in the open exploration way, and in the (absence of) writing, but moment to moment, dread feels so good to play. Applying Bungie's 15 seconds of fun principle, Super frequently had annoying fiddly mechanics that slowed you down if you weren't speedrunner/expert skilled at knowing how they work, but dread just gives you a host of great ways to get around, aim shoot, and fight that only expand as you play.

Dread is a masterclass in punishing you harshly for mistakes but teaching you to observe and improve and make you feel like a goddamn superman for beating bosses. And EMMIs, while not perfect stealth gameplay, do something else important. They switch up your mode of play in the middle which keeps you from getting bored. It gives you one more thing besides "I"m going from A to B and killing things that get in my way" and "Here's a challenging enemy that tests my limits to fight".

At no point did I feel like the game was fighting me like I did with Fusion. At no point did I feel this "okay get on with it" like prime sometimes caused me to. I didn't get Samus Returns' "oh i'm being forced to use this mechanic" drag.

I still miss some atmosphere. "Ominous" is oddly missing from my vocabulary thinking about moments from a game literally called "Dread"

And I miss musical peaks. There's never a lower norfair/phendrana rifts moment where the game really drives home a musical moment with a melody that sticks with you.

But dread's flawless mechanical execution is really something else. It reminds me of the near mythical story of Miyamoto ordering the Mario 64 team to not make anything else until they perfected the feel of Mario running around and jumping in 3d. Someone put great care into making this game feel nice.

No wait, I can't make this first jump, I need a refund

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
We can all agree proteus ridley is the best ridley fight in the series right

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

WHY BONER NOW posted:

I'm a big fan of the Ridley showdown in Prime 1 myself.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
For me, the top 3 is

1. The freefall fight with Meta Ridley at the start of Prime 3
2. Meta Ridley in Prime 1
3. Proteus Ridley

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

despite everything, Other M’s Ridley fight was pretty drat fun

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

Good Sphere posted:

I’m glad they didn’t include boss health bars. Not necessary really at all, and makes the game better with surprises that you defeated the boss for the first time, instead of knowing when it will happen.
boss health bar would have let me realize that Experiment was healing for thirty minutes :saddowns:

neat analysis of the map design:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pop-cc9kmY

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

2D metroid has never had health bars for bosses but their absence is more noticeable in this game because the bosses don’t gradually turn red as they take damage

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

Augus posted:

2D metroid has never had health bars for bosses but their absence is more noticeable in this game because the bosses don’t gradually turn red as they take damage

It's weird cause they did in Samus Returns for both the Metroids and Ridley, and Diggernaut broke apart as you inflicted damage. It's not a huge deal, but I actually like those sorts of details.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Augus posted:

Nude, Mad, Red, Plasma Beam'd

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Top 3 for me are honestly like,

1) Proteus Ridley
2) Meta/Omega Ridley (Prime 3)
3) Ridley (Other M)

Other M has a lot of loving problems, but it does show some actual signs of life in the gameplay when fighting some of the bigger enemies/bosses, and the Ridley boss fight in that game is actually genuinely pretty awesome, and is the high point of that game's gameplay, imo (which is funny considering how loving *awful* and rightfully hated the cutscene leading into that fight is).

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

XavierGenisi posted:

Top 3 for me are honestly like,

1) Proteus Ridley
2) Meta/Omega Ridley (Prime 3)
3) Ridley (Other M)

Other M has a lot of loving problems, but it does show some actual signs of life in the gameplay when fighting some of the bigger enemies/bosses, and the Ridley boss fight in that game is actually genuinely pretty awesome, and is the high point of that game's gameplay, imo (which is funny considering how loving *awful* and rightfully hated the cutscene leading into that fight is).

It's been... gently caress it's been literally a decade since I last played it, but I really liked the Phantoon postgame moment. Both in concept and the fight

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Honestly the ridley question should probably be divided between 2d and 3d categories. I feel like the 2d fights really lean more into it being a brutal slugfest while the 3d ones are a bit less frantic. Having said that, yeah proteus is #1 for 2d, but 3d is probably a tie between the elevator shaft fall in prime 3, and other m. I just replayed through other m recently and the ridley fight is pretty cool, though my main tactic was to hammer on the dpad and abuse sensemove

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

It's been... gently caress it's been literally a decade since I last played it, but I really liked the Phantoon postgame moment. Both in concept and the fight

what i remember about that postgame is that you couldn't get 100% item completion unless you went and did that :colbert: it was one of the more rad parts of the game though

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

My personal top 3 is something like:

1. Meta Ridley Prime 1
2. Metroid Queen Samus Returns
3. Proteus Ridley

The Metroid Queen is maybe one of the best examples of a boss putting all of your skills to the test in the entire franchise, though the final boss of Dread might make this list pretty soon after giving Dread another playthrough (giving it a bit of breathing room before my hard 100%).

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I don't mind the EMMI sense of danger and urgency but I am not a big fan of the first major progression unlock being behind an animation that that took several seconds to resolve while you are being chased. I missed it entirely and got stuck and had to look it up which is a bad design imo. Still having a lot of fun but that was a poor choice

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
Health bar chat. I'm struggling with Raven Beak once they fly, yes I know there is another phase after. It's like, are you just a bullet sponge? Do I have to shoot you for a half hour flawlessly dodging everything the whole time?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Use storm missiles. He'll go down in under two minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DTaeKim
Aug 16, 2009

Also that form is the one with the most HP.