Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
Apparently Burger Time has a kill screen so you have 253 levels left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

welcome posted:

Apparently Burger Time has a kill screen so you have 253 levels left.

im not going to do that. I'll go until it loops.

at first I had the hubris to think I could knock out 6 levels of "burger theme donkey Kong clone" with the down button broken on my controller. I'm currently trying to do it with a mix of the arrow keys and the gamepad, lol. I guess Castlevania will have to wait awhile.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
return of the obra dinn - all fates solved

very good detective puzzle game even though sometimes the art style obfuscates things and some of the fates could as well be anything in the world. Also theres a *lot* of annoying waiting; waiting for the death trails to reach their destination and having to wait on your first viewing of a death scene being the biggest time sinks. The interface and design of puzzle solving means you can sometimes cheat a bit and try different categories until the pieces fit and the game tells you GOOD JOB! despite all that i think its very very good and would reocmmend.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

who wants to learn some fun facts about Burger Time?
okay, i ended up liking this a little more once i started to learn how the enemies move and once i gave up on my controller and used the keyboard. it's hard, but it's cool. one thing i like, compared to a lot of other games like it, is that when you lose a life, your progress in the level doesn't go away. i played until the levels looped (six levels), but i used basically all of my resources, including lives and pepper sprays, so i probably would not be able to make it through another loop. i'm counting it for moving on but not for "games beat." (there is a slight difference once it loops - they add the pickles to the first level).

as welcome mentioned, there is a kill screen, but i would call the game functionally "over" before that: apparently once you get to level 28, there's a bug: the enemies are supposed to more than double their speed, and they do, for about 90 seconds. this is functionally meant to end the game: the only way to survive is to use basically all of the pepper. however, after those 90 seconds, they glitch out and freeze, only taking a single step about every five seconds. the player's speed doesn't change, so what this means is that the first 90 seconds of every level are a mad scramble to survive, and the rest is actually easy, but almost every level after that point would literally take hours to complete (especially as you would need to refill your pepper reserves to survive the next level). as far as i can tell, the glitch is present in both the arcade and NES versions of the game, but not the colecovision one, lol.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Bicyclops posted:

who wants to learn some fun facts about Burger Time?
okay, i ended up liking this a little more once i started to learn how the enemies move and once i gave up on my controller and used the keyboard. it's hard, but it's cool. one thing i like, compared to a lot of other games like it, is that when you lose a life, your progress in the level doesn't go away. i played until the levels looped (six levels), but i used basically all of my resources, including lives and pepper sprays, so i probably would not be able to make it through another loop. i'm counting it for moving on but not for "games beat." (there is a slight difference once it loops - they add the pickles to the first level).

as welcome mentioned, there is a kill screen, but i would call the game functionally "over" before that: apparently once you get to level 28, there's a bug: the enemies are supposed to more than double their speed, and they do, for about 90 seconds. this is functionally meant to end the game: the only way to survive is to use basically all of the pepper. however, after those 90 seconds, they glitch out and freeze, only taking a single step about every five seconds. the player's speed doesn't change, so what this means is that the first 90 seconds of every level are a mad scramble to survive, and the rest is actually easy, but almost every level after that point would literally take hours to complete (especially as you would need to refill your pepper reserves to survive the next level). as far as i can tell, the glitch is present in both the arcade and NES versions of the game, but not the colecovision one, lol.

Connecticut Leather Company stays winning

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
Inscryption was good all day

kind of annoyed that the second half of the plot is buried at gps coordinates tattooed in the final boss's butthole, but I'll just ignore that until somebody writes an article

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
33. Call of Duty: World War 2 (Hardened)

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Gonna slide in to say that I really enjoyed learning about Burger Time

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

you have to play burger time with so... so... strategically. that it's not even funny.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

b_d posted:

you have to play burger time with so... so... strategically. that it's not even funny.

its like building a house and the roofs not on it and its gonna rain the next...tomorrow. its not a question of if i should do this, its a question of i have to do this.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

41. Castlevania
was worried this would be built up too much for me, but this is incredible. playing the nes games in order, this feels like the biggest advancement in gaming since super mario bros. now that i've finally played it, i think the term "metroidvania" is even stupider. maybe the later entries in the series are different, but despite the map doing a lot of curling up and down and switching from right to left, it's still a straightforward path, whereas metroid involves a lot of returning to old areas. metroid is also very focused on permanent powerups and castlevania only lets you hold one at a time. is rush n attack a metroidvania? wtf?

anyway, it's got the coolest set of bosses yet, hands down. starting at frankenstein, they're all pretty tough, and they feel way more fleshed out than bosses in previous games, even the ones with better bosses like gradius, ninja kid and trojan. i never got great at using the extra weapons - i always had the hearts, but i usually found it difficult to throw them while i was jumping, which made it too hard to dodge and swing at the same time. i did use the time stop a few times, mostly to get past some pesky monsters on the way to the bosses (i tried hitting drac with the holy water in his room but i could never land it). the sprite art and chiptunes really nail the gothic theme (i love the fake credits with slightly altered hollywood names so you know christopher lee played dracula). some classics deserve their reputation, and this is one of them.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Have you not played Symphony of the Night. Lol

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

b_d posted:

mysterious loyall X posted:

its like building a house and the roofs not on it and its gonna rain the next...tomorrow. its not a question of if i should do this, its a question of i have to do this.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Evil Eagle posted:

this. expect disappointment. the series reall goes down hill after rondo of blood. tragic!

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

still incredibly fun. Never beat it back at launch, just kinda stopped right at the end, and it's been long enough that I forgot a lot so I restarted. Still got some shrines to do, strongly doubt I'll go for 100% when korok seeds exist

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Impressed you beat it that fast, the last two levels are pretty hard

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

P-Mack posted:

Impressed you beat it that fast, the last two levels are pretty hard

i mentioned this when i started but i think it was in wilderness fyad: i am using save states. for good games, i mostly do stuff like "save during a screen change." for games like pro wrestling and slalom, i will cheerfully abuse save scumming.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Evil Eagle posted:

im going crazy

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

this is the first castlevania game i have ever played except when i was over a friend's house as a kid.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Bicyclops posted:

now that i've finally played it, i think the term "metroidvania" is even stupider. maybe the later entries in the series are different, but despite the map doing a lot of curling up and down and switching from right to left, it's still a straightforward path, whereas metroid involves a lot of returning to old areas. metroid is also very focused on permanent powerups and castlevania only lets you hold one at a time. is rush n attack a metroidvania? wtf?

Bro.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

the genre is called metroidvania because all of them contain both a metroid and a dracula

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

this. expect disappointment. the series reall goes down hill after rondo of blood. tragic!

lol

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

the term metroidvania IS stupid

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

elf help book posted:

the genre is called metroidvania because all of them contain both a metroid and a dracula

that's absurd. the metroid would simply pierce the dracula's heart.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

this is the first castlevania game i have ever played except when i was over a friend's house as a kid.

oh my god dude youre in for a ride

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

do you have an ordered list so you can tell us how long until you play castlevania 2

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

The first time I played Castlevania was for a race I was invited to. I told them it was a bad idea and I'd gently caress it up, but they told me "you're good at Mega Man it's gonna be fine"

I died so often to the White Dragon before the Frankenstein fight. Even the demo dude can't beat him!!! gently caress!!!!

I eventually made it through, but I don't think I ever beat the whole game afterwards because everybody else had finished long before? Maybe I should lol

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

elf help book posted:

do you have an ordered list so you can tell us how long until you play castlevania 2

i'm using the wikipedia list and sorting by north american release date:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nintendo_Entertainment_System_games

i did a rough count and i think it's 100 games away, lmao.

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013

Cubone posted:

Inscryption was good all day

kind of annoyed that the second half of the plot is buried at gps coordinates tattooed in the final boss's butthole, but I'll just ignore that until somebody writes an article

lol yup

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Simply Simon posted:

The first time I played Castlevania was for a race I was invited to. I told them it was a bad idea and I'd gently caress it up, but they told me "you're good at Mega Man it's gonna be fine"

I died so often to the White Dragon before the Frankenstein fight. Even the demo dude can't beat him!!! gently caress!!!!

I eventually made it through, but I don't think I ever beat the whole game afterwards because everybody else had finished long before? Maybe I should lol

one thing that keeps tripping me up in the older games is forgetting that you can usually hit projectiles to destroy them. the things that shoot little fireballs in castlevania (like the dragon iirc), you mostly just get close to them and swing rapidly.

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013
metroidvania was a neat term for castlevanias that more or less play like metroid but its fail as hell that it gets used for anything else, much less at all times IMO

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Simply Simon posted:

After a lot of practice I could beat Death consistently but I never finished the whole game on real hardware.

Imp project time.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

just stun lock him dude

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I think I had more trouble with Frankenstein than death. you can hit death's sickles but that little bugger on Frank's head is hard to dodge if you want to stay right next to the creature himself.

I thought dracula was going to be really easy until he transformed.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Bicyclops posted:

i'm using the wikipedia list and sorting by north american release date:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nintendo_Entertainment_System_games

i did a rough count and i think it's 100 games away, lmao.
It's actually crazy how quick Konami (used to...) jump onto new hardware. Castlevania: The Adventure is also one of the very first Game Boy games, not quite a launch title but definitely part of the first wave. When I realized that, it made how poo poo is it make a little more sense, haha

Also, the composer took one look at the sound chip and said: yeah I can make this poo poo my bitch. check this out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbgGxQGd4I4

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

just stun lock him dude

this. the challenge is getting there with 2-3x holy water

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Simply Simon posted:

Also, the composer took one look at the sound chip and said: yeah I can make this poo poo my bitch. check this out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbgGxQGd4I4

psh. i bet i could do that.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

This composer just buttfucked this motherfucking sound chip like a bawse.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

two dissonant beeps chittered from the sides of its hardware. but it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. it had won the victory over itself. it loved Composer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

In Training posted:

This composer just buttfucked this motherfucking sound chip like a bawse.