Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

The price quoted at $388 was always stated as ex.VAT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

ijyt posted:

The price quoted at $388 was always stated as ex.VAT

US doesn't have a VAT

Fleedar
Aug 29, 2002
RARRUGHH!!
Lipstick Apathy
Where is the down arrow key? Is it Fn+Up?

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Second post on my brand new Unicomp Mini M. It is incredible. It is so loud lmfao. The youtube videos of it don't do it justice. this is amazing. it was like way louder, in a bassier, rumblier way, than my old Filco Majestouch with blues. it is so weird. it sounds like a contraption. like some kind of machine. its epic.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

US doesn't have a VAT

You absolutely do have import fees and sales tax lol

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

ijyt posted:

I have never paid any of those for any of the GB boards I've purchased. Here's a recent one:

You only run in to sales tax for purchases made from companies within the US -- which varies state to state. You also only run in to import tax above $800 for certain circumstances (complete keyboards are actually exempt, but parts of keyboards are not). Unless you're running your own GB or importing something extremely expensive you're unlikely to run in to any additional costs if you're buying keyboards from within the US.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Unsinkabear posted:

They're in-stock on their website for $50 per 200. I'd offer to split a box with you, but someone itt said Matias/Alps switches are not compatible with regular hotswap boards so idk what we'd put them in. I don't have the first clue about soldering PCBs, but if you go down that road maybe you'd have more options?

I may order a Matias Ergo Pro later this year when I'm less busy and post a trip report then, but that won't be until mid/late November at the earliest. I picked up a Kinesis off Amazon to test how the split board concept works for me in the meantime.

Edit: That said, if anyone does know of something "cheap" we could throw the Matias switches in, please share!

So I really like the split on the Kinesis Gaming Freestyle Edge RGB (what a name) and have had no trouble adjusting to the tented typing. I think it should be a very easy switch for any touch typist (I have learned I cross type Y and B with the wrong hands, but I'm getting over it pretty quickly and it's been more funny than anything). I love the attached wrist wrests and the mobility to position the halves however I want depending on what I'm doing.

The only problem is that it pings. Idk if it's the Cherry browns or the board, but to my bad ears it's not so much a per-key thing as it is a subtle high-pitched bell resonance that is somewhat drowned out by the keys themselves and then continues onward for a second or two after I stop. Like some part of the board itself is pinging when struck in tented mode (I didn't notice it before adding the lift kit but that could be a coincidence). Whatever it is, it's very distracting. I've seen ping mentioned in reviews for other boards, is this the same thing? Anything I can do about it?

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Oct 27, 2021

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Gearman posted:

I have never paid any of those for any of the GB boards I've purchased. Here's a recent one:

You only run in to sales tax for purchases made from companies within the US -- which varies state to state. You also only run in to import tax above $800 for certain circumstances (complete keyboards are actually exempt, but parts of keyboards are not). Unless you're running your own GB or importing something extremely expensive you're unlikely to run in to any additional costs if you're buying keyboards from within the US.

As the consumer, yes - as the company importing and selling the keyboard to you? Very much doubt it.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

ijyt posted:

As the consumer, yes - as the company importing and selling the keyboard to you? Very much doubt it.

Yes, I covered all of that in my post. Ultimately, the consumers don't really care and just see a product that was marketed as being $380 now being sold at $480.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Very weird thing to get hung up on considering the ridiculous prices people pay in this hobby.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Huh? Other people do all kinds of dumb things with their money, but that's not a sound argument for throwing away your own. Keyboard people are just nerd sneakerheads, I swear to god. :psyduck:

An extra $100 (or a more than 25% increase, when looked at the other way) is a pretty legit thing to get hung up on imo. That's going to dramatically change what alternatives you're comparing it against.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Smythe posted:

Second post on my brand new Unicomp Mini M. It is incredible. It is so loud lmfao. The youtube videos of it don't do it justice. this is amazing. it was like way louder, in a bassier, rumblier way, than my old Filco Majestouch with blues. it is so weird. it sounds like a contraption. like some kind of machine. its epic.

This post made me aware that Unicomp finally put out a TKL with buckling springs and I ordered one immediately.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Unsinkabear posted:

Keyboard people are just nerd sneakerheads, I swear to god.

Help, I'm in this post and I don't like it

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

I never understood why the number pad was next to the arrow keys on the right side by default. It 100% makes more sense to me to have all your navigation on one side and then your input on the other. With the arrows and numbers on the right side of a keyboard I find myself moving my left arm across my body to use arrows plus numpad. And when I add mouse input to that then I shift my left arm further to do numbers while my right hand mouses. If the numberpad was on the left then I can just stick my left arm there and move one arm to either arrows or mouse.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
pre-mouse era where most people are righthanded and rapid entry of numbers was important for a lot of business computing purposes is my guess.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Unsinkabear posted:

Keyboard people are just nerd sneakerheads, I swear to god. :psyduck:
IMO keyboard enthusiasm has three main camps that all get way off in the weeds the deeper in you go.:

You have the sneakerheads, who see every new nearly identical 60% board or different pairing of colors fed in to the keycap molds as yet another Pokemon to catch.

You then have the audiophiles, who debate the merits of different lubricants and how their magic fingers can definitely tell the difference between the red plastic and the purple plastic shells.

Finally there are the ergonomics nerds, who will spend hours performing repetitive motions finishing 3D printed parts for their latest custom design intended to reduce repetitive motions.

Obviously there's a lot of overlap between those groups too, some people are firmly in all three.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

wolrah posted:

IMO keyboard enthusiasm has three main camps that all get way off in the weeds the deeper in you go.:

You have the sneakerheads, who see every new nearly identical 60% board or different pairing of colors fed in to the keycap molds as yet another Pokemon to catch.

You then have the audiophiles, who debate the merits of different lubricants and how their magic fingers can definitely tell the difference between the red plastic and the purple plastic shells.

Finally there are the ergonomics nerds, who will spend hours performing repetitive motions finishing 3D printed parts for their latest custom design intended to reduce repetitive motions.

Obviously there's a lot of overlap between those groups too, some people are firmly in all three.

I meant the fact that like sneakerheads, both categories 1 and 2 (and somewhat 3, why do none of these pricey split ergo boards have PBS keycaps?!) appear to be completely fine with seemingly predatory inflated prices, artificial scarcity, and arbitrarily limited runs intended to induce FOMO.

The breakdown is hilariously real, though.

wolrah posted:

Also, help, I'm in this post and I don't like it.

(No 3D printer yet, but I did spend double my intended budget on a split keyboard :ohdear:)

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

pre-mouse era where most people are righthanded and rapid entry of numbers was important for a lot of business computing purposes is my guess.

I recently switch from a full size to a TKL and I realised how much that numpad meant to me. Even though I only use it intermittently for calling numbered records, it really is so much faster to key it out on the pad than to fiddle around with the number row. Time for a full size mech I guess, or a macropad?

I'm guessing after a certain point people stopped having calculator drills in school? I remember my various teachers all going on about how being able to touch-calculate was essential for optimal exam performance.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

I think we all want the numpad in an ideal world, they were just saying (and I agree) that it should always go on the left side. Unfortunately both market-standard designs and the humans who buy them get set in their ways easily, so rn it seems like your options are Epomaker or a separate numpad (Leopold looks good, Varmillo seems like a good value but is weirdly tall in comparison)

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Oct 28, 2021

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Unsinkabear posted:

I meant the fact that like sneakerheads, both categories 1 and 2 (and somewhat 3, why do none of these pricey split ergo boards have PBS keycaps?!) appear to be completely fine with seemingly predatory inflated prices, artificial scarcity, and arbitrarily limited runs intended to induce FOMO.
Aha, I was taking it more like how the sneaker people usually won't even wear the drat things and I feel like some of the people who have shelves of custom keyboards are the same way.

Yeah the artificial scarcity is annoying as hell, though it's obviously very grey as to what level is artificial versus what's just a practical result of this being a niche market where the long tail isn't really large enough to justify predictable production runs. I do wish more projects would plan to do additional group buy runs though, that shouldn't be too unreasonable. Set a goal for production run 2 based on the performance of production run 1 and if there's enough demand then it should be easier to do the second time around.

quote:

Also, help, I'm in this post and I don't like it.

(No 3D printer yet, but I did spend double my intended budget on a split keyboard :ohdear:)
:same:

I got in to mechanical keyboards for the feel and to some extent the sound but it was the ergonomic stuff that really got me rabbit-holed. My 3D printer is still packed up from my last move otherwise there would likely be a Dactyl Manuform in some stage of construction vying to replace my Moonlander.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
If Unicomp will just bring out a standalone buckling spring numpad to go with its new TKL model, I will have everything I, or indeed anyone, ever needed out of life.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Eric the Mauve posted:

If Unicomp will just bring out a standalone buckling spring numpad to go with its new TKL model, I will have everything I, or indeed anyone, ever needed out of life.

this would own, but also i understand it is a very niche ask. these poor men can only do so much. the usb cable that came with my kb was still in its monoprice bag. g*d bless.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

wolrah posted:

Yeah the artificial scarcity is annoying as hell, though it's obviously very grey as to what level is artificial versus what's just a practical result of this being a niche market where the long tail isn't really large enough to justify predictable production runs. I do wish more projects would plan to do additional group buy runs though, that shouldn't be too unreasonable. Set a goal for production run 2 based on the performance of production run 1 and if there's enough demand then it should be easier to do the second time around

This is happening more, but oftentimes it's still just one person doing the design, and there's still limits on doing the fulfillment, QC, samples and prototypes, etc.

Especially if you're doing a group buy as a way of producing a board that you as a designer really want, you're probably less inclined to do a 2nd run.

Also, supply chain is screwing everything. But yes, I would like it if there were more things that weren't group buy only.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

ijyt posted:

We do not have a value added tax. I'm not just being pedantic, those are different things substantially.
States do have sales taxes (some don't) as do localities.
At the moment, complete boards (HS 84.71) are exempt from tariffs. Keyboard components such as keycaps are not exempt though.

ijyt posted:

Very weird thing to get hung up on considering the ridiculous prices people pay in this hobby.

You mean the hobby where people are totally okay with people flipping boards for 4x the gb cost despite adding no value other than "I managed to get one and you didn't"?
The hobby where those same people lauding flippers also think that "GMK is too expensive so I'll just buy clones from a lovely, design-stealing sweat shop"?
It's a weird space, and that's definitely not even close to the weirdest thing to get hung up on in this hobby.
But while boards are expensive yeah, I think it's more a question of value over money. At $380, its expensive and already not a great value in terms of what I want from a keyboard design. At $450 it's completely out of it's class. At that point it's just as far away from it's original stated price as it is from the Austin's GB price. And the Austin is one of the best designed boards in existence. Hell $450 is more than a J-02 was originally. Those are incredible boards by very well established designers with excellent track records running through trustworthy vendors.
For comparison, W1-AT preorders opened today at $370. https://swagkeys.com/collections/w1-at
Now, despite the fact that the W1-AT is a considerably better board in every regard, also has more parts, a novel mounting system, hefty and detailed brass weight, it is still cheaper. This is mostly due to it being an open unlimited preorder and Geon already having a well established production system and good indications of about how many will be ordered. It will likely sell thousands of units versus the Viendi's hard limit of a few hundred. The downside is that it will also take a considerable amount of time to produce. I fully anticipate that it will be about a year despite the projected July 2022 delivery date. However, I really would be surprised if the Viendi delivered any sooner than that to be honest.

Personally I'm not even concerned about the price, I'm concerned about UPAS dropping the GB citing "importing uncertainties", and KFA picking it up. I think UPAS is very savvy, and I wouldn't give KFA $5 let alone $500.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

For comparison, W1-AT preorders opened today at $370. https://swagkeys.com/collections/w1-at

ISO is good actually <:mad:>

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

interrodactyl posted:

This is happening more, but oftentimes it's still just one person doing the design, and there's still limits on doing the fulfillment, QC, samples and prototypes, etc.

Especially if you're doing a group buy as a way of producing a board that you as a designer really want, you're probably less inclined to do a 2nd run.

Also, supply chain is screwing everything. But yes, I would like it if there were more things that weren't group buy only.
Yeah, I definitely get the "just building enough to justify the cost of making all the parts for the one I want for myself" angle and can't really complain about that as long as the person is honest about that up front.

At least in the custom PCB and case niches as lot of designs get open sourced either from the beginning or after the production run is ended so those who are interested down the line always have an option to build one. I think that's a great way to handle those situations, scratch your own itch with the official production run and then let the world do with it what they want.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

repiv posted:

ISO is good actually <:mad:>

I've actually come around to liking ISO.
If I manage to land a J-02 Blackout edition I'm definitely building it with ISO enter.
Same for equinox.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

We do not have a value added tax. I'm not just being pedantic, those are different things substantially.
States do have sales taxes (some don't) as do localities.
At the moment, complete boards (HS 84.71) are exempt from tariffs. Keyboard components such as keycaps are not exempt though.

You mean the hobby where people are totally okay with people flipping boards for 4x the gb cost despite adding no value other than "I managed to get one and you didn't"?
The hobby where those same people lauding flippers also think that "GMK is too expensive so I'll just buy clones from a lovely, design-stealing sweat shop"?
It's a weird space, and that's definitely not even close to the weirdest thing to get hung up on in this hobby.
But while boards are expensive yeah, I think it's more a question of value over money. At $380, its expensive and already not a great value in terms of what I want from a keyboard design. At $450 it's completely out of it's class. At that point it's just as far away from it's original stated price as it is from the Austin's GB price. And the Austin is one of the best designed boards in existence. Hell $450 is more than a J-02 was originally. Those are incredible boards by very well established designers with excellent track records running through trustworthy vendors.
Now, despite the fact that the W1-AT is a considerably better board in every regard, also has more parts, a novel mounting system, hefty and detailed brass weight, it is still cheaper. This is mostly due to it being an open unlimited preorder and Geon already having a well established production system and good indications of about how many will be ordered. It will likely sell thousands of units versus the Viendi's hard limit of a few hundred. The downside is that it will also take a considerable amount of time to produce. I fully anticipate that it will be about a year despite the projected July 2022 delivery date. However, I really would be surprised if the Viendi delivered any sooner than that to be honest.

Personally I'm not even concerned about the price, I'm concerned about UPAS dropping the GB citing "importing uncertainties", and KFA picking it up. I think UPAS is very savvy, and I wouldn't give KFA $5 let alone $500.

It's complicated. For instance, I only like XDA profile, and almost all of the ones I like (cool colors) are cheap clones from lovely sweat shops, but I can't get XDA from the main good artists because everyone is loving obsessed with Cherry profile. Also, everyone being nuts about 65% boards but the reality is, I actually really do use my function row a lot, and the ergonomics aren't better than a TKL.

The reality is, after deep diving for a few weeks here and on twitch and reddit, I'll just get a GMMK PRO, switch out the stabs and lube better ones, and call it a day. That's still going to be an amazing board with either kiwi's or Boba's, whichever I decide I like better (I have kiwis and love them, but I am waiting on the Boba's.)

Will I buy knock off pharaoh keycaps because I don't want to pay $300 for original ones and the clones will actually come in XDA? possibly. And that's considered a cheap board and or a "bad board" which is nuts. That board will last me the rest of my lifetime in theory. and that will still coast me around $300 with all the parts.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

If I manage to land a J-02 Blackout edition I'm definitely building it with ISO enter.
Same for equinox.

uhm

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

We love and accept our crazy uncle Charlie despite his taste for whacky boards.

Also, just a reminder that I sell FR4 plates for the GMMK Pro (https://avxworks.com/). Unlike the stock aluminum plate, these don't suck and you can actually use good aftermarket stabilizers like Durock V2s with them. Lastly, I have a discount of $4.20 to fellow Goons. Just use the code MANGOSTEEN at checkout.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

I agree, winkeyless is absolute madness for those who regularly use Windows

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Gearman posted:

Also, just a reminder that I sell FR4 plates for the GMMK Pro (https://avxworks.com/). Unlike the stock aluminum plate, these don't suck and you can actually use good aftermarket stabilizers like Durock V2s with them.

can confirm it doesn't suck, and works with stabilizers that don't suck, unlike the glorious stabilizers which suck a lot

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

wolrah posted:

And then there are us clicky enjoyers, who easily find happiness in Box Jade/Navy switches and some case foam.
Though I'd try an Alps switches based keyboard once, if I had the money to burn.

HappyCapybaraFamily posted:

Agreed.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

HappyCapybaraFamily posted:

go full on chaos and put it smack dab in the middle of split space.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

The windows key showed up with windows 95 and can go right back to hell where it came from. You kids and your windows keys and emojis and pokemans.

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

Without the windows key how else do you pull up a launcher?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

anothergod posted:

Ctrl+Alt+Fn+Space+W like any sane person would do.
Wait till you find out how I type numbers.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

anothergod posted:

Use a Mac

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Ctrl+Alt+Fn+Space+W like any sane person would do.
Wait till you find out how I type numbers.

:barf:

In other news, further testing has revealed that it's not the backplate or whatever, the springs (?) on this Kinesis are in fact pingy as gently caress. I tested it and nothing happens when I press down, it's on release that I hear it. And on some of the right side keys the resulting ring is pretty loving noticeable, so now that I have heard this I can't stop hearing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Same for equinox.

Wait there's going to be an all black version of the J-02? Where do I learn more?