Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

And then BSG was all like "All this has happened before, all this will happen again"

By this time it's a fuckin checkbox trope.

e: Also Babylon 5 with its "ages" and all the LotR parallels, but then those were 100% intentional so I don't think it really counts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ABgqUh8M98

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

That looks pretty darn good

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Johnny Joestar posted:

yeah, wheel of time came much later than lotr but you have to keep in mind that people working on the lotr movies most likely had contact with wheel of time at some point given how much later those movies were in comparison to either

i don't think anyone is saying they ripped it off or whatever exactly, more just that wheel of time has like a decade lead on that line in particular which wasn't even in the lotr books

Also, the first book of WoT is fairly derivative of LOTR even if the 2 series wildly diverge by the second book

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I know it's a dumb thing but the giant Amazon Prime watermark in video hurts me.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

:gizz:

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Trollocs busting open the door...to my heart. :love:

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Pretty dope looking trollocs. This trailer definitely added some depth to the story they’re teasing that I felt the others lacked.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I wanna watch that

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Rafe Judkins doing a detailed breakdown of the trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cjq7iHhuTG0

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Some of the things in that trailer had me gently caress YEAHING so hard and frame-by-framing to make sure I was seeing what I thought I saw. Since this is the non-spoiler thread I won't get specific. But one thing did catch me, based on a comment made the other day ITT: Moiraine saying that the chosen one is one of the FIVE of you. So she doesn't just think Egwene might be the Dragon Reborn, but Nynaeve is also a candidate. That's neat!

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Moiraine and Lan should have been wizened old people. at least 30-40 years old.

It's us. We are old people now. :corsair:

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

adhuin posted:

Moiraine, like all Aes Sedai, is described as having an "ageless" look in the books that comes from being an Aes Sedai (that's all I'll say in the spoiler free thread). Obviously that gets tricky to portray in live action, but she certainly shouldn't look like a "wizened old" person.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

adhuin posted:

If you think Rosamund Pike looks under 30 then drat

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Rarity posted:

If you think Rosamund Pike looks under 30 then drat

I pictured her as old, but she is not. At least, i cannot put any age to her at all. At first i thought she was as young as Nynaeve, but the longer i look the more i think she is older than that

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Just going by her image in the thumbnail there, I'm going to say she looks mid 40's. After looking it up, she's fourty-two. So I was close! Also, book spoiler for Moiraine's age if you care about that: that's about how old Moiraine is too. So she's actually spot on for the age, she just doesn't have that "ageless" look Aes Sedai get.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Soysaucebeast posted:

Just going by her image in the thumbnail there, I'm going to say she looks mid 40's. After looking it up, she's fourty-two. So I was close! Also, book spoiler for Moiraine's age if you care about that: that's about how old Moiraine is too. So she's actually spot on for the age, she just doesn't have that "ageless" look Aes Sedai get.

yeah it's pretty understandable that it would quickly become Impossibly Expensive to do vfx on the faces (which we're especially good at spotting when it's even slightly off!) of dozens and dozens of characters

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

40 years was old and wizened, when I first read them in my teens.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

eke out posted:

yeah it's pretty understandable that it would quickly become Impossibly Expensive to do vfx on the faces (which we're especially good at spotting when it's even slightly off!) of dozens and dozens of characters

they've basically directly said it's not happening straight up because of the money and effort that would be needed to do something that looks good, so it's just one of those things that has to be sacrificed for video

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Johnny Joestar posted:

they've basically directly said it's not happening straight up because of the money and effort that would be needed to do something that looks good, so it's just one of those things that has to be sacrificed for video

oh yeah, that's the point i was trying to make -- it's an interesting thing in the books but it's just straight up not possible with modern technology (e.g.: the richest company in the entertainment business spent a stupid amount of money on mark hamill's face and it still looked off to a huge portion of fans)

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

adhuin posted:

40 years was old and wizened, when I first read them in my teens.

Same. I started reading the when I was 18. Now I'm exactly the same age as the actor playing Moiraine.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the ageless face thing is supposed to be kinda uncanny valley but the issue with making it look like that but also look GOOD and effective is that it would be a monumental effort for something that has a high chance to just come off as lovely to most viewers

not to mention having to pull it off for dozens of different faces

TheGreySpectre
Sep 18, 2012

You let the wolves in. Why would you do that?
Even if they had an infinite budget I just cannot picture trying to CGI all the aes sedai faces into agelessness looking good. I feel like even in the best case it would end up in uncanny valley and look horrid.

Sanguinia posted:

But one thing did catch me, based on a comment made the other day ITT: Moiraine saying that the chosen one is one of the FIVE of you. So she doesn't just think Egwene might be the Dragon Reborn, but Nynaeve is also a candidate. That's neat!

That was actually something that for me I found concerning. The dragon channeling the tainted half of the source seems pretty integral to the little that everyone (in the books) knows about the dragon. It also seems to tie in heavily with the lore surrounding why many signs of the dragon are considered bad luck and people thinking the dragon is mad. At least from what I've gotten from my readings a fair amount of background lore dating back to the age of legends would have to change for the dragon reborn to be a woman (in this turning of the wheel).

I could totally see another turn of the wheel where Saidar was tainted the dragon reborn was a woman. It's already pretty much cannon that genders can change when the wheel spits out characters with Birgitte being Robin Hood. I just don't see it working for this telling without changing a huge amount of background lore.

I would totally read a retelling where Nyneave was the Dragon Reborn though.

TheGreySpectre fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Oct 27, 2021

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Re spoilered discussion: Moraine says 5 because they're trying to hide the identity of the Dragon Reborn for people coming to the series with no prior knowledge. they're not changing who it is, it's just a story telling decision to heighten the drama a little from what is otherwise a very straightforward and obvious plot point.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Speaking of which, why don't we move discussion of who may or may not be the Dragon to the book reader SPOILER thread where it belongs, eh?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3897992&pagenumber=231#lastpost

TheGreySpectre
Sep 18, 2012

You let the wolves in. Why would you do that?

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Re spoilered discussion: Moraine says 5 because they're trying to hide the identity of the Dragon Reborn for people coming to the series with no prior knowledge. they're not changing who it is, it's just a story telling decision to heighten the drama a little from what is otherwise a very straightforward and obvious plot point.

I know that although the original story already does that just with 3 instead of 5. My point is more that imo a lot background lore has to change for Egwene and Nyneave to be considered valid options even by normal townsfolk let alone Morraine. Of course Rand will still end up being the Dragon reborn in the end. Overall most likely won't be a big deal but the changes required for it to be feasible do give me pause.

TheGreySpectre fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Oct 27, 2021

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

Sign me the gently caress up

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

TheGreySpectre posted:

Overall most likely won't be a big deal but the changes required for it to be feasible do give me pause.

I'll just say that I can imagine several ways it could make sense without really needing to change anything and leave it at that.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I still feel like make up could have just been used for the ageless look, but I guess that poses its own issues

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

TheGreySpectre posted:

I know that although the original story already does that just with 3 instead of 5. My point is more that imo a lot background lore has to change for Egwene and Nyneave to be considered valid options even by normal townsfolk let alone Morraine. Of course Rand will still end up being the Dragon reborn in the end. Overall most likely won't be a big deal but the changes required for it to be feasible do give me pause.

i feel like you're way overthinking what is basically just a decision to make more mystery for those who haven't read the books

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Sab669 posted:

I still feel like make up could have just been used for the ageless look, but I guess that poses its own issues

I mean, in what way is moiraines face in the trailer (botoxed and professionally made up) different from the ageless look? It’s p much exactly how it was in my head anyway

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

buffalo all day posted:

I mean, in what way is moiraines face in the trailer (botoxed and professionally made up) different from the ageless look? It’s p much exactly how it was in my head anyway

Yeah I think this is right. But since all the other actors are also going to look hot and not weatherbeaten like people who spent 40 years tilling the soil then the contrast won’t really show.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

buffalo all day posted:

I think she looks fine, but I just thought they'd cake on some layers of make up to make the skin look impossibly smooth or something :shrug:

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

jng2058 posted:

Speaking of which, why don't we move discussion of who may or may not be the Dragon to the book reader SPOILER thread where it belongs, eh?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3897992&pagenumber=231#lastpost

Yes please.

I've read the series like 5 times but cmon. no more spoilers here

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Barreft posted:

Yes please.

I've read the series like 5 times but cmon. no more spoilers here

Goons gonna goon

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
This is more encouraging than the stuff that preceded it. Though I think they are going for very modern styles of speech which is going to annoy me (Matt's 'you've fully lost your mind'... I really don't want these characters to sound like the uni students who live on my road here in London TYOOL 2021?) And I suspect they have crammed a bunch of Moiraine's backstory into the first season without any real reason for doing so, just because they wanted to somehow make it more complex than the first book's mostly linear narrative arc.

Still, this at least looked more competently made than the previous stuff like the super-over-portentous Winespring Inn clip.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Rafe Judkins doing a detailed breakdown of the trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cjq7iHhuTG0

Watching this reminds me of how much of the books that I have read (10, I think) I have forgotten in the 15+ years since I read any of them. When he pulled up the one shot of a spear wielding warrior it took me a second to be like "Oh poo poo, those guys" because such a major faction had completely slipped my memory of the books. He says it's a moment people will be excited for, but honestly, I don't remember what it could. I'm not even sure there's any scenes with that actual faction in the first few books, though I do recall there's some mention of them causing conflict in other parts of the setting at the very least. So I'm unsure if it's something from the first book I've forgotten, something they're pulling forward or just a new scene entirely using those characters in ways they never were in the book. I had forgotten things like the Ways, the White Cloaks, the various color factions within the Aes Sedai, the Gypsies etc. too. It's a bit of a trip just to see it all, because there's a mix of cool things I wanted to see, cool things I never thought I'd see and cool things I had completely forgotten about but that are dredging up old memories and nearly new because of it.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

tsob posted:

Watching this reminds me of how much of the books that I have read (10, I think) I have forgotten in the 15+ years since I read any of them. When he pulled up the one shot of a spear wielding warrior it took me a second to be like "Oh poo poo, those guys" because such a major faction had completely slipped my memory of the books. He says it's a moment people will be excited for, but honestly, I don't remember what it could. I'm not even sure there's any scenes with that actual faction in the first few books, though I do recall there's some mention of them causing conflict in other parts of the setting at the very least. So I'm unsure if it's something from the first book I've forgotten, something they're pulling forward or just a new scene entirely using those characters in ways they never were in the book. I had forgotten things like the Ways, the White Cloaks, the various color factions within the Aes Sedai, the Gypsies etc. too. It's a bit of a trip just to see it all, because there's a mix of cool things I wanted to see, cool things I never thought I'd see and cool things I had completely forgotten about but that are dredging up old memories and nearly new because of it.
Agree that it's super cool to see all of these formative fiction memories interpreted for the screen.

If you want some clarity on the sourcing for some of the trailer, there's a book spoiler thread over in TBB where a bunch of terrible re-readers like me will be happy to talk about it ad nauseum: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3897992&pagenumber=233&perpage=40

aparmenideanmonad fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Oct 29, 2021

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

in the old tongue, “book thread poster” meant servants of all…

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
New character posters:

https://twitter.com/TheWheelOfTime/status/1454072645830381576

edit: moved a spoiler to the book thread

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Oct 29, 2021