Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
I just want a few whatever that pool of ooze card is that allows you to spend any amount of mana to summon a random creature with the mana cost of whatever mana you dedicate to it, because holy poo poo that thing was broken as gently caress when I encountered it in a draft event.

Some Pinko Commie fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Oct 28, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Quote is not edit, what the hell?

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

When you reveal cards on top of your library and you have something like augur of autumn out that lets you look at the top of your library, you don't get to look at the card under the revealed cards, for example. The other cards still count as on top of your library even if you have to physically pick them up.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
I think it's a bad idea to have Dorothea's Retribution in the same set that has a keyworded attacking trigger, but VOW will be drafted so briefly that it's possible no one will actually pull Dorothea and any creature with Training in the same pod.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

whiggles
Dec 19, 2003

TEAM EDWARD

Abisteen posted:

I learned Magic via Arena and have never played paper. My girlfriend is interested in trying the game and I think it would be fun to play some kitchen table magic with her since she doesn't play games on PC very much.

Considering I can play standard on Arena and don't care much about deck power level for paper, what's my best bet for having a good time learning the paper game with someone? Should I just buy a bunch of basic lands and a bulk box of cards and we just build a couple of decks from that? Should I buy some packs and see what we end up with?

Few pages back but wanted to chime in that I got into MTG earlier this year on Arena and ended up splitting the cost of a draft box (strixhaven) with a friend and opening it slowly over the course of a few weeks. We did a sealed draft to start and then opened one more pack each before every match we played. Eventually we both had half the box each with which we could tune our individual decks for the final draft match.

It was a great time and has definitely gotten me hooked on paper. Having all the packs come from the same set meant that by the end we had each decks that were very synchronous but we had a lot of time to get there and by starting with so few cards it forced us to get creative and try things we might not otherwise.

I think if we had just gone about buying a bulk commons/uncommon collection we would have felt overwhelmed in trying to sift through all the various mechanics and interactions and gotten bogged down in it.

Have fun!

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

This is pretty good.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

This is gonna be a house in cube.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Seems pretty good, definitely a bomb in limited

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Awesome card, love it.

https://twitter.com/TolarianCollege/status/1453768787094740996?s=20

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Hell, good cause

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Just realized that a lot of the people who post in MTG threads also post in CSPAM (myself included) Wonder what the correlation is

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Just realized that a lot of the people who post in MTG threads also post in CSPAM (myself included) Wonder what the correlation is

it's the need to just post

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

ShaneB posted:

it's the need to just post

Hmm makes sense

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

this is a really interesting limited card. getting a free attack with lifelink as a cantrip seems really good and its a colorless card

Defeatist Elitist
Jun 17, 2012

I've got a carbon fixation.

babypolis posted:

this is a really interesting limited card. getting a free attack with lifelink as a cantrip seems really good and its a colorless card

Yeah. No cost to activate matters here too. Wonder how desirable it will be in a deck without vampires.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Pablo Nergigante posted:

The insatiable need to be right.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/tirentu/status/1453848215300853762

This is VERY good. It's too bad they can't find a better way to template it though. It reads very awkwardly.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Does this have legs in the Asmo Hollow One deck in modern? It's certainly no wheel but I feel like you can do fun things with it and cycling.

E: :piss: That counterspell :popeye:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

The Shortest Path posted:

Does this have legs in the Asmo Hollow One deck in modern? It's certainly no wheel but I feel like you can do fun things with it and cycling.

Not for 4 mana.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

mcmagic posted:

https://twitter.com/tirentu/status/1453848215300853762

This is VERY good. It's too bad they can't find a better way to template it though. It reads very awkwardly.

Fake

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

drat that counterspell is actually fake.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

goddamnit

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
I love the idea of cleave but the square brackets look kinda ugly. Idk if its a font thing or what but it just looks blah

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Great card, better art

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, pay 3 to counter a spell and draw a card seems kind of nuts.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Cleave is a neat twist on kicker but it feels out of place in Vampire Wedding: The Set.

It feels like something that’d be cool for Strixhaven where mage students learn to manipulate spells

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

whydirt posted:

Cleave is a neat twist on kicker but it feels out of place in Vampire Wedding: The Set.

It feels like something that’d be cool for Strixhaven where mage students learn to manipulate spells

It does feel kind of out of place yes. It could go in Strix like you said, or the DnD set it could have been "Metamagic" or even in the upcoming cyber Kamigawa set, the brackets have a "you're hacking your spells" flavor to it.

Wouldn't be surprised if this was just pushed here like Party was pushed out of DnD into Zendikar.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Pablo Nergigante posted:

MTG is our only safe haven from vlogs.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

TotalHell posted:

MTG is our only safe haven from vlogs.

Actual content.

Reverse mentor is ok, but this is a strong card. Can hit your opponents stuff to get a blocker out of the way or get one of your good cards out of the yard.

Bugsy fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Oct 29, 2021

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
https://twitter.com/wizards_magic/status/1453829001873592322

god drat those are pretty

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Too bad it'll arrive folded in half.
Because yes, that's a pretty swamp

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

HootTheOwl posted:

Too bad it'll arrive folded in half.
Because yes, that's a pretty swamp

they appear in regular booster packs at 1 in 3 packs.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

I don't think the actual card has been announced yet but here's the art for it.

edit: its Runo Stromkirk

Strong Sauce fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Oct 29, 2021

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
That prestige art feels like it was taken from a Rage card.

Like if Ron Spencer took up watercolors.