Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Thufir says there were three navigators and there are five orange helmet guys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMQ5iQ-NbFA

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Oct 29, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

jeeves posted:

Someone is photoshopping in a pug to shots of Leto I. The best fan edit.

How dare you bring this to our attention and not post them.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

lmao forgot about this. What is happening here? Wrong answers only

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Can't remember if this was posted in this or one of the other 5 dune threads. But there's never a reason not to post it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRy18Euw6W4

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

kiimo posted:

tfw u dunc but they still suk'n

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Prolonged Panorama posted:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

lol

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

Ramc posted:

It was fall again, and with the changing of the leaves the ancient Frank Herbert dared.

Braving the teeming water-fat masses of the outside world he made his way and at altar of the fish-wife goddess he made his demands of the barista.

"The spice." he hissed, his voice a dusty rasp, almost a whisper. "It must flow."

The servant prepared his beverage- the spice coffee- and the cinnamon and nutmeg smell of melange teased his nostrils.

"So, uh, sir, do you want your senior discount?" the barista inquired

"The geriatric discount??"

"Uh, yeah, so that's ten cents off..."

"Ah-h-h-h" Frank smiled in triumph, producing- just as he had foreseen- an additional coupon and slid it across the counter.

Deals within deals...

also its this season again isnt it

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Ramc posted:

also its this season again isnt it

Lol

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Winifred Madgers posted:

Shadout in the streets, sandtrout in the sheets

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
https://youtu.be/qf4Qv5Fa_Do

Let the fan edits flow.

Edit - I kinda like that the contrast was cranked up in this.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

kiimo posted:

All I can see is Rich Evans going "Oh my GAAAAAWD!!!"

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

rydiafan posted:

lmao

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Ramc posted:

It was fall again, and with the changing of the leaves the ancient Frank Herbert dared.

Braving the teeming water-fat masses of the outside world he made his way and at altar of the fish-wife goddess he made his demands of the barista.

"The spice." he hissed, his voice a dusty rasp, almost a whisper. "It must flow."

The servant prepared his beverage- the spice coffee- and the cinnamon and nutmeg smell of melange teased his nostrils.

"Ah-h-h-h" Frank smiled in triumph, producing- just as he had foreseen- an additional coupon and slid it across the counter.

Deals within deals...

lmao

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

kull wahaaaaad

A Jupiter
Apr 25, 2010

rydiafan posted:

I SEE A BIRTHDAY PARTY IN MY NAME, EVERYONE SHOUTING MY NAME

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

Tank Girl (1995) did the whole desert thing better.

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

https://twitter.com/allforthanookie/status/1453443980973252611

YoursTruly
Jul 29, 2012

Put me in the trash
Recycle Bin
where
I belong.
Saw Dunc in a theater, IMAX 3D. The two of us were the only ones there though. :shrug:
I thought it was a good movie.
I wish other characters had more screen time. Based on the posts in this thread that I read beforehand, I anticipated very little, and was pleasantly surprised to see a few characters on screen more often than I had expected. (Still wish I saw more of them ofc.)

Has anyone remade the city of Arrakeen in a Dune rts game yet? Duke Leto saying "Spaceport" and "Refinery" seemed to be a callback to Dune II, along with the silos, and even the anti-air turrets.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

YoursTruly posted:

Has anyone remade the city of Arrakeen in a Dune rts game yet? Duke Leto saying "Spaceport" and "Refinery" seemed to be a callback to Dune II, along with the silos, and even the anti-air turrets.

yeah those were absolutely nerd callouts :allears:

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Now denis has to solve the puzzle of adapting Alia. Good luck dude

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Ingmar terdman posted:

Eyes pure black.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Ingmar terdman posted:

We’re gonna need a resolution.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Did anyone else feel that the silly "Is that it?" "That's it!" exchange between Leto and the herald after signing with his sigil was kind of a nod to David Lynch's weird but funny sense of humor? It was so pointless and made me laugh out loud, kinda like what Lynch does sometimes.

(Not to say I don't absolutely love this movie.)

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Mr. Smile Face Hat posted:

Did anyone else feel that the silly "Is that it?" "That's it!" exchange between Leto and the herald after signing with his sigil was kind of a nod to David Lynch's weird but funny sense of humor? It was so pointless and made me laugh out loud, kinda like what Lynch does sometimes.

(Not to say I don't absolutely love this movie.)
It really did make it clear why people would love Leto rather than just work for him.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

The line is "so, it's done?" (delivered sort of nervously) "it's done." (with a sense of finality and a hint of pity). I thought it was great acting from both of them and while the tone is a little quiet banter-y compared to the shouted formalisms they just exchanged, the undercurrent I picked up is "have I been ordered to my death?" "yes, sorry."

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

The line is "so, it's done?" (delivered sort of nervously) "it's done." (with a sense of finality and a hint of pity). I thought it was great acting from both of them and while the tone is a little quiet banter-y compared to the shouted formalisms they just exchanged, the undercurrent I picked up is "have I been ordered to my death?" "yes, sorry."

Yeah leto totally knows he's doomed it's a nice exchange

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Sorry, I didn't memorize the exact dialogue (not that "that's it" wouldn't have had a similar impact) and I still think it's kinda weird and serves no real purpose other than maybe to make things more clear to the audience.

It's an outlier in the context that this movie verbalizes and explains things much less than the Lynch version (take a shot each time you hear "The sleeper must awaken").

fcc compliant bob
Jan 15, 2006

The must un-fantastic avitar on the forum (guranteed!)

Ramc posted:

Deals within deals...

lmao. why is everything in Dune SPICE BURN SSSTING FIRE in such conspicuous excess over and over again? It's trite

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
Well it isnt really until they get to Arrakis and suddenly understand the big spice conspiracy. Most poeple just think its for space travel.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Mr. Smile Face Hat posted:

Sorry, I didn't memorize the exact dialogue (not that "that's it" wouldn't have had a similar impact) and I still think it's kinda weird and serves no real purpose other than maybe to make things more clear to the audience.

It's an outlier in the context that this movie verbalizes and explains things much less than the Lynch version (take a shot each time you hear "The sleeper must awaken").

It's an elegant way to convey character, plot, setting and a dash of comedy in a few words and a look.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Guild and BG use of the spice is secret, publicly its value is derived from the geriatric effect.

Navigators are generally assumed to just be mentats who do pure maths.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

No Mods No Masters posted:

Can't remember if this was posted in this or one of the other 5 dune threads. But there's never a reason not to post it

This comment under the Dune 2000 video is the most perfect description of it:

"One of the greatest school plays ever filmed."

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Alchenar posted:

This comment under the Dune 2000 video is the most perfect description of it:

"One of the greatest school plays ever filmed."

lol

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

kiimo posted:

This guy is a Guild Vaginator

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

kiimo posted:

SPICE: APPLY DIRECTLY TO THE FOREHEAD

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

No Mods No Masters posted:

Check on the cowboy hats on the ladies at the beginning.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

I'm obsessed with the way the guy left of center kind squats down into position after he walks up. Sitting down in his little invisible chair. Those hats gotta line up right.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

William Bear posted:

Check on the cowboy hats on the ladies at the beginning.

That's the Bene Gesserit outfit in the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

The scifi BG all look like shelley duvall, which definitely feels like an attempt to zig where lynch zagged. They're decent though