Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

cynical, tinfoil hat take - nearly all comedians eventually run past their prime and dave is trying to hedge his aging audience by not alienating bigots too hard with the criticism of white supremacy
Eh, I think it's more the fact that his wealth has put him in rarified strata, away from the sort of lives his audience lead. Like, what, he's gonna do jokes about his au pair's personal assistant? About how small your weiner looks when getting out of an indoor pool because your idiot valet didn't turn on the heating this morning? "Now now, before you start clutching at pearls, my employees are like family to me. So I didn't have him beaten until after I fired him."

That isolation from the everyday and the very real need to build rapport with an audience leads him to draw heavily from subjects gleaned from third party sources. And when the material was frankly under the surface very conventional and, it's almost certain going to take a hard turn into chud country.

Also money is brain poison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Ambitious Spider posted:

There was a relatively recent Eddie Murphy interview where he talked about cancel culture and woke stuff, and he basically said “there’s a lot of material I don’t do any more as I’ve learned more. As a comedian my goal is to make people laugh, and I never intended to hurt anyone”

Though I guess that’s the difference between coming to that realization yourself, and having other people call you out on your bullshit.

Full disclosure I’ve got no idea what Murphy’s current material is like so I don’t know what he’s actually up to

Not stand-up, but still his work: Coming 2 America came out on Amazon Prime earlier this year. IIRC there wasn't anything overtly offensive but it definitely felt like a milquetoast nostalgia grab. Could have been a Zoolander 2 though, so there's that at least.

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

Eh, I think it's more the fact that his wealth has put him in rarified strata, away from the sort of lives his audience lead. Like, what, he's gonna do jokes about his au pair's personal assistant? About how small your weiner looks when getting out of an indoor pool because your idiot valet didn't turn on the heating this morning? "Now now, before you start clutching at pearls, my employees are like family to me. So I didn't have him beaten until after I fired him."

That isolation from the everyday and the very real need to build rapport with an audience leads him to draw heavily from subjects gleaned from third party sources. And when the material was frankly under the surface very conventional and, it's almost certain going to take a hard turn into chud country.

I was in the pool!

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
quote is not edit

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

I enjoyed his first couple of Netflix specials and some of the better bits were talking about his family life in a semi-rural area, or recounting his OJ run-ins; that's interesting to me.

His obsession with the LGBTQ+ community is frustrating because I really like his general style and stage presence and I'll probably never be able to revisit his prior works in an enjoyable way.

Like GOT it's become retroactively worse.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Eddie Murphy played Dolemite in the faux documentary released on Netflix

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

And according to Don Glover, Tina Fey told him the only reason he was hired was because he was Black and NBC's diversity hire program paid for his salary.

Holy poo poo, is that why there's an episode of 30 Rock about Toofer quitting because he finds out he was a diversity hire?

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

I enjoyed his first couple of Netflix specials and some of the better bits were talking about his family life in a semi-rural area, or recounting his OJ run-ins; that's interesting to me.

His obsession with the LGBTQ+ community is frustrating because I really like his general style and stage presence and I'll probably never be able to revisit his prior works in an enjoyable way.

Like GOT it's become retroactively worse.
I dunno, I'm not a huge fan of standup so I can count on the fingers of one hand how many I've seen in the past ten years (6, to be exact) but not to be all "heh, I was critiquing him before it was cool 😏" but I remember a couple bits of Chappelle's show that kinda rubbed me the wrong way in terms of content or delivery.

Like there was this sketch about great moments in the history of hooking up (I think it was was called gently caress Chronicles?) hosted by some beardo with a very prominent cold sore that he muggingly points out in the coda.

Now that I think about it, the running gag of a Korean man speaking in broken english wasn't awesome. The sketch where a white guy (complete with rape jokes!) gets kicked out of a Real Word analog for making people uncomfortable, inspired by one of his buddies getting kicked out for ripping a duvet off a woman in her underwear and framing it purely in misleading term, also kinda left a bad taste in my mouth.

I mean, yeah, again I don't remember seeing any of his stand-up so maybe that's where all the incisive, cutting social commentary was.It certainly wasn't in the choir singing the diarrhea song in response to criticism, the wonderful life sketch about convincing the woman to not get a breast reduction, loving a volcano or all the ones about the guy addicted to crack.

I think there are some serious rose-colored glasses being worn here

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

I dunno, I'm not a huge fan of standup so I can count on the fingers of one hand how many I've seen in the past ten years (6, to be exact) but not to be all "heh, I was critiquing him before it was cool 😏" but I remember a couple bits of Chappelle's show that kinda rubbed me the wrong way in terms of content or delivery.

Like there was this sketch about great moments in the history of hooking up (I think it was was called gently caress Chronicles?) hosted by some beardo with a very prominent cold sore that he muggingly points out in the coda.

Now that I think about it, the running gag of a Korean man speaking in broken english wasn't awesome. The sketch where a white guy (complete with rape jokes!) gets kicked out of a Real Word analog for making people uncomfortable, inspired by one of his buddies getting kicked out for ripping a duvet off a woman in her underwear and framing it purely in misleading term, also kinda left a bad taste in my mouth.

I mean, yeah, again I don't remember seeing any of his stand-up so maybe that's where all the incisive, cutting social commentary was.It certainly wasn't in the choir singing the diarrhea song in response to criticism, the wonderful life sketch about convincing the woman to not get a breast reduction, loving a volcano or all the ones about the guy addicted to crack.

I think there are some serious rose-colored glasses being worn here

Chapelle's Show had a lot, lot, lot of misses, it's just that when it hit, it hit hard, and one of its most memorable sketches was from the first episode- Black White Supremacist. Coming outta the gate swinging like that gave it a lot of leeway in people's minds, I think.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

black bush and the player haters ball are the best

little rear end teeth lmao

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Baba Yaga Fanboy posted:

Chapelle's Show had a lot, lot, lot of misses, it's just that when it hit, it hit hard, and one of its most memorable sketches was from the first episode- Black White Supremacist. Coming outta the gate swinging like that gave it a lot of leeway in people's minds, I think.

Was that from the first episode? drat, that's a hell of a start.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Ambitious Spider posted:

There was a relatively recent Eddie Murphy interview where he talked about cancel culture and woke stuff, and he basically said “there’s a lot of material I don’t do any more as I’ve learned more. As a comedian my goal is to make people laugh, and I never intended to hurt anyone”

Though I guess that’s the difference between coming to that realization yourself, and having other people call you out on your bullshit.

Full disclosure I’ve got no idea what Murphy’s current material is like so I don’t know what he’s actually up to

Hell, didn't Richard Pryor kinda do the same thing? Like he used the N word in his shows a lot, and then he went to Africa or something and he resolved to stop.
I know it's not a 1:1 comparison, but, similar ballpark.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

the_steve posted:

Hell, didn't Richard Pryor kinda do the same thing? Like he used the N word in his shows a lot, and then he went to Africa or something and he resolved to stop.

I know Chris Rock had that joke about 'black people versus N-words' that he stopped using once he learned that white racists loved it.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Cleretic posted:

I know Chris Rock had that joke about 'black people versus N-words' that he stopped using once he learned that white racists loved it.

He said the racists thought it gave them the right to say the n-word.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

wait Ellie do you seriously have six fingers on one hand because Inigo Montoya is obsessed with that stuff

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Rockman Reserve posted:

wait Ellie do you seriously have six fingers on one hand because Inigo Montoya is obsessed with that stuff
I loving wish. I'd be the toast of Girl Bar.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Mister Kingdom posted:

15-year-old me was a stupid racist and hell yes we did.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

the_steve posted:

Yeah. I was looking for a video I saw a few years ago that intercut that bit you're describing from Pryor with the "no bad words" bit George Carlin did and it was pretty shocking, honestly. Unfortunately I can't find it anymore.

Pryor's bit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hULhZqhw9yU

I don't really want to link the Carlin bit because its just him saying literally every slur there is and then saying it doesn't matter because of context or something. Its really lovely and bad.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

800peepee51doodoo posted:

Yeah. I was looking for a video I saw a few years ago that intercut that bit you're describing from Pryor with the "no bad words" bit George Carlin did and it was pretty shocking, honestly. Unfortunately I can't find it anymore.

Pryor's bit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hULhZqhw9yU

I don't really want to link the Carlin bit because its just him saying literally every slur there is and then saying it doesn't matter because of context or something. Its really lovely and bad.

Are you talking about Carlin's seven dirty words and the followup? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_dirty_words That's about FCC censorship, not general cultural use.

The point there isn't that words can't hurt people or that words can't be dangerous, it's that not looking at why we use words to mean things is lovely. It's literally an argument for telling people to shut the gently caress up for using slurs, and Carlin spent a LOT of time over the years taking people to task for arguing slurs worked the same way. I think there's a follow up where he lists off a bunch of slurs to explain WHY it's not something you can just say randomly as a dipshit.

e: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQHN1ipLPdY i think this is the skit you mean and yeah, it's a follow up to his general talk about the meaning of words overall throughout his career and is very much not saying slurs don't matter or can't hurt someone. Obviously this is a youtube clip of a larger special, but even the last 1:30 of it makes it really clear Carlin isn't arguing people should be tossing around the n-word without any heed or consideration.

e2: of course the youtube people are all treating it as george carlin DESTROYS sjws, which is complete loving bullshit.

Arivia has a new favorite as of 01:19 on Oct 29, 2021

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Arivia posted:

Are you talking about Carlin's seven dirty words and the followup? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_dirty_words That's about FCC censorship, not general cultural use.

No, I'm not. He has a bit where he recites a litany of uninterrupted slurs for the better part of a minute straight and ends the bit calling Eddie Murphy and Richard Pryor the n word. You can search youtube for "george carlin they are only words" if you really want to hear it. And then read the comments for even more fun times!

e: yeah thats the one and its pretty hosed up, imo.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

800peepee51doodoo posted:

He did say this:

"Bullshit! It’s the context that makes them good or bad. The context. That makes them good or bad. For instance, you take the word “N*****.” There is absolutely nothing wrong with the word “N*****” in and of itself. It’s the racist rear end in a top hat who’s using it that you ought to be concerned about. We don’t care when Richard Pryor or Eddie Murphy say it.

Why? Because we know they’re not racist. They’re N*****s! Context. Context."

That threw me because I don't recall him ever using that word before.

I always wondered if Pryor or Murphy saw that.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
He also says there's literally a racist in every living room in every house in America, calls himself a bunch of slurs, and says you should absolutely be worrying and watch out for bigots and racists in your own communities - that saying the words is a sign of people being shitbags but you have to look at who's actually saying it.

I'm really not sure how you can take that skit as anything other than "words are literally just words" [point 1] and "racism is bad and people use slurs to hurt each other and there are a lot of lovely loving racists" [point 2]. Carlin's "don't ban words because they could be offensive" obviously hasn't aged well, but it's only not aged well because general societal decorum decided to go the other way, not because Carlin was being hurtful or attacking anyone himself. Carlin put his livelihood and his life repeatedly on the line to try and make things better for everyone, which is why he can make that bit work, because he'd proven for decades that he was the One Guy who could actually talk about words just being words and have a proven track record that he wasn't using slurs to hurt people.

e: in case it's not obvious, Carlin's whole thing (which started with the Seven Dirty Words) is arguing against blanket bans on using words overall. That's it. He's not arguing that using words is innocuous or completely without hurt or blame at any step, just that they are words. Someone saying a word that's offensive or actually hurtful getting in trouble still made sense to Carlin. The only recent event that I can think of where someone got "cancelled" where Carlin would have defended them was the firing of Wendy Mesley from CBC News in Canada, where she said the title of an infamous Quebec politics book that includes the n-word when she was trying to discuss the book itself.

Carlin never argued using slurs was a good thing, or appropriate, or that people should "lighten up" or "grow a thicker skin." He knew words could actually hurt people, that was his job, and that was why he was so careful and why he was so good at it.

Arivia has a new favorite as of 01:38 on Oct 29, 2021

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Mister Kingdom posted:

Even if racists didn't start quoting him verbatim his bit was basically indistinguishable from what racists were already saying.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
https://twitter.com/VicBergerIV/status/1453731160215851012?s=20

https://www.billboard.com/articles/events/oscars/8492982/kevin-hart-oscar-hosting-controversy-timeline

quote:

After two days of online scrutiny, Hart finally broke his silence and posted a video to Instagram. In it, he explained that the Academy had delivered an ultimatum: publicly apologize for the tweets, or step down. To the surprise of many, Hart refused to apologize.

Whatev
Jan 19, 2007

unfading

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

And according to Don Glover, Tina Fey told him the only reason he was hired was because he was Black and NBC's diversity hire program paid for his salary.
That's a bit misremembered. Fey handpicked Glover and always thought he was great. The New Yorker did a piece on Glover in 2018 in which he talked race in show biz and mentioned that back in the day he had wondered if he got hired on 30 Rock because he was black. The reporter followed up with Tina Fey and she acknowledged that his hiring was largely motivated by the fact that NBC's diversity program "made him free."

New Yorker posted:

Zazie Beetz had told me that she’s often cast for her light skin, as “a pop of color” in a role that could go to a white actress, and that she knew some fans of “Atlanta” had wanted Van to be darker-skinned. “I don’t know if I was cast off of talent instead of look,” she said. “That’s my insecurity.” Glover said that it was talent. “But I was also, like, ‘People are going to feel that way about her—and they should.’ We have to show the consequences.” He noted that his own skin color had surely influenced his career, beginning with his first job, as a writer on “30 Rock.” “I wondered, Am I being hired just because I’m black?” Tina Fey, the show’s creator and star, told me that the answer was in large part yes; she admired Glover’s talent but hired him because funds from NBC’s Diversity Initiative “made him free.”
Worded shittily in that weird, uncomfortable way Tina Fey is prone to saying things, but I think it's fair to say she wasn't trying to diminish him. They both speak highly of each other and Glover credits Fey with teaching him to write. The same article features Chevy Chase blatantly trying to cut Glover down right to his face pretty similarly to how you were thinking, though.

quote:

Chevy Chase, one of Glover’s co-stars, often tried to disrupt his scenes and made racial cracks between takes. (“People think you’re funnier because you’re black.”)

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

bout how small your weiner looks when getting out of an indoor pool because your idiot valet didn't turn on the heating this morning?

Please, it's a natatorium.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Megillah Gorilla posted:

shut up, nerd

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

That was an episode too

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
If anything, slight props to Tina Fey for being honest about it. I suppose that's at least a diversity program arguably working as intended to mutual benefit.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Megillah Gorilla posted:

lol that means "childbirth store" to me

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Birthing supplies and indoor swiiming, lol.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Alhazred posted:

It gets weird long before the end. [...]

Well, it's a Phillip K. Dick novel. That's how those things go.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

FreudianSlippers posted:

Even the most decisive Nazi victory imaginable (without magic or sci-fi tech) would've at most had them take over eastern Europe to depopulate it for their planned reenactment of Manifest Destiny.

Yeah, and it would have been a loving horrible mess with no ultimate "good" outcome for anyone involved. The Nazis were really, really poo poo at running an empire. Among other things.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

FreudianSlippers posted:

Even the most decisive Nazi victory imaginable (without magic or sci-fi tech) would've at most had them take over eastern Europe to depopulate it for their planned reenactment of Manifest Destiny.

The myth of the super efficient and hyper competent Nazi war machine is so pervasive people generally won't believe you if you try to tell them it was more like a three stooges skit with the house burning down around them. The milhist posts about the Nazi uniforms are emblematic of the entire German mentality to war at the time, like requiring 4-5 people at a time working on a single, custom fitted helmet for infantry while the Allies just made one size fits all on nearly automated production line. Their uniforms were a disaster of planning and supply needs, with each 200 person unit needing a personal tailor to keep the uniforms in order.

The entire upper echelon of leadership was constantly keeping secrets from each other and deliberately sabotaging their rivals in hopes of looking better to Hitler and getting more power/promotions (or terrified of being shot by the SS for being a traitor/unproductive). Hitler sunk massive amounts of resources into pure fantasy projects because no one was willing to tell him no.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
I'm willing to bet a lot of the guys working on those Wunderwaffe projects knew they were going nowhere and basically just tried to look like they were making enough progress to not get canceled and risk being sent somewhere more dangerous.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Even the cartoon Archer calls out the Nazis for being fuckwits, in Archer Dreamland Krieger's 1940s backstory is that he was a Nazi scientist who was deliberately wasting all of their money on a useless ubermench project that he was deliberately sabotaging, because every failed test subject that he murdered was a few thousand bombs and planes that they could no longer buy.

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006
Late to the party, but what exactly did Dane Cook do to make himself universally hated? I remember him being all dude bro alpha bullshit one day and disappearing from public awareness the next.
Was there a specific event or...?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
I think there were accusations of joke theft

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Mr.Chill posted:

Late to the party, but what exactly did Dane Cook do to make himself universally hated? I remember him being all dude bro alpha bullshit one day and disappearing from public awareness the next.

He made Good Luck Chuck

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Mr.Chill posted:

He went from obscurity to selling out MSG in a short time, then people started going hard on him for joke theft, meanwhile his edgy frat boy humor aged like milk in the Arizona sun.

Also around the same time he discovered his brother had stolen all his money, so he had to do a ton of comedy shows on his own to try and make some $$$ real fast, and did so well he decided he'd rather just do comedy gigs like that then shows/movies/huge events.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Plus Daniel Tosh showed up and did his schtick better.