Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Did they even have video games 30 years ago?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Tagichatn posted:

Nah. We just rolled a big hoop down the road with a stick.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Tagichatn posted:

We had a Super Pong console that I believe my parents got in '75 or '76, so...yes.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

SubponticatePoster posted:

We had a Super Pong console that I believe my parents got in '75 or '76, so...yes.

We had that, it came in such a lovely shade of pale brown.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
30 years ago was 1991. The Super Nintendo was out. PC gaming was a thing. SMDH

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

External Organs posted:

Is anyone playing Guardians of the Galaxy? I'm...tempted, but probably will wait for a sale. Looks kind of fun imo.

Edit, this is the wrong thread but maybe not?

Wondering about this one as well. It is getting decent to good reviews from the reviewers I follow so I am tempted to use the 20% off code for GMG.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

30 years ago was 1991. The Super Nintendo was out. PC gaming was a thing. SMDH

Yeah, but wasn't that still in black and white? I don't know if it counts.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

StrixNebulosa posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1266100/Vampire_The_Masquerade__Parliament_of_Knives/

I'd apologize for the single-game-per-post but I keep getting emails letting me know a new game is out.

I am mildly interested in VtM but my interest is extremely piqued by a game that takes place in Ottawa of all places. I'm genuinely curious at how much of the city is in the game.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Tagichatn posted:

I think it was red and something, yeah. Pixels as big as cats.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Tagichatn posted:

When I was young I asked my dad if life was black and white when he was a kid. He uh, wasn't impressed.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Play posted:

From Amanita Design
(kermitflail)

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

‘The SNES was literally out 30 years ago!’ I say As I age before your eyes and decompose into a skeleton.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Morpheus posted:

I am mildly interested in VtM but my interest is extremely piqued by a game that takes place in Ottawa of all places. I'm genuinely curious at how much of the city is in the game.

Yeah that really stood out to me as well. I don't think I've ever played a game set in Canada, except maybe Cross Country Canada and that doesn't really count.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

There's also Scott Pilgrim and Sangfroid.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

The Long Dark, the incredibly meta modern-day parts of AssCreed 4, part of Deus Ex: HR, and for a more recent title Moonglow Bay are all set in Canada

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Hub Cat posted:

The Long Dark, the incredibly meta modern-day parts of AssCreed 4, part of Deus Ex: HR, and for a more recent title Moonglow Bay are all set in Canada

Shame on you for excluding Celeste!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

cant cook creole bream posted:

Shame on you for excluding Celeste!

It's set in Canada? I thought it was a fantasy game?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

Yep, the magical fantasy land of Canada. The flag appears at one point, and Madeline herself is Canadian. It's made more explicit in the tie-in Instagram stuff though.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Celeste
The game makes a point that it's just real live Canada with a girl who has to get over some issues. Just that mountain is magical for whatever reason.

StarkRavingMad posted:

https://twitter.com/microtrailers/status/1453755673825656841?s=20

New Square Enix Yoko Taro game, although it's a card battle based RPG so don't expect the complexity of a Nier:Automata. Has a demo, which I enjoyed.

I just played the demo and it was really bland. The music seemed to be nice, but nothing of that demo hooked me at all and the plot was nonexistant. Just the most generic JRPG (with a sort of nice art style). Does the full game turn into something more than that?

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Oct 29, 2021

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
The full game is more of the same, I only like the combat skill system and the protagonist is comically petty but the game is supposedly only 10 hours. Even worse is all the animations are unskippable and slow

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I guess that's a pass then. Too bad. :shrug:

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Lakbay posted:

The full game is more of the same, I only like the combat skill system and the protagonist is comically petty but the game is supposedly only 10 hours. Even worse is all the animations are unskippable and slow

This is a plus for me. Not sure why RPGs need to always be 30+-hour endeavours.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Morpheus posted:

agree, I really wish there were more RPGs that were 20 hours or less. I'm actually happy to hear that Echo Generation is only 6-10 hours, to name another recent release

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Atelier Sophie took me 27~ hours overall, which makes it short for a jrpg - and it was a super fun and charming experience.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Ziggurat 2 fully released. Apparently it's a pretty good roguelite FPS. I only played the first one but it was very solid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFShLdBRRwQ

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

MH Knights posted:

Wondering about this one as well. It is getting decent to good reviews from the reviewers I follow so I am tempted to use the 20% off code for GMG.

Most of the low marks have come from the combat which is said to be adequate but not great. But pretty much everyone is saying the writing, characters and story are top notch. Some saying it’s better than the movies.

Shame it doesn’t have its own thread to generate interest.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Palpek posted:

Ziggurat 2 fully released. Apparently it's a pretty good roguelite FPS. I only played the first one but it was very solid.

I played the first and got bored after an hour. Just imagine Immortal Redneck with worse graphics, boring weapons and the humor removed.

Anomalous Blowout
Feb 13, 2006

rock
ice
storm
abyss

It makes no attempt to sound human. It is atoms and stars.

I don't know why I remember this but parts of SOMA are set in Canada, too!

For actual thread content, last month I bought a Brazilian action platformer called SUPER CHICKEN JUMPER and it turned out to be a nice enjoyable weekend diversion. It's cheap, nicely difficult if you like your platformers that way, and nice to look at.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.

Morpheus posted:

I just finished it and I don't mind that it's short but there is a lot of filler trying to extend the length. Really wish there was more music. It probably would have worked better for me if it was cheaper.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

theblackw0lf posted:

Most of the low marks have come from the combat which is said to be adequate but not great. But pretty much everyone is saying the writing, characters and story are top notch. Some saying it’s better than the movies.

Shame it doesn’t have its own thread to generate interest.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3983435

This game has unfortunately had noone talking about it (probably because it looks at first glance like the lovely Avengers game) and I really hope that as word of mouth spreads it'll get more attention because it deserves it.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Tagichatn posted:

That was 50 years ago.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

SirSamVimes posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3983435

This game has unfortunately had noone talking about it (probably because it looks at first glance like the lovely Avengers game) and I really hope that as word of mouth spreads it'll get more attention because it deserves it.

I might be stuck in a retro midset, but I automatically assume that any movie game is going to be mediocre at best.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

Dr_Amazing posted:

I might be stuck in a retro midset, but I automatically assume that any movie game is going to be mediocre at best.

Me too. Even when directly presented with evidence to the contrary, the acceptance is only temporary. As soon as I stop thinking about it, I forget and revert back to the original belief/starting assumption next time it comes up.

e: reading that back, it's a bit frightening. What if I do the same thing with important stuff?

burial fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Oct 31, 2021

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Dr_Amazing posted:

It's more of a comic book game than a movie game.

edit: To clarify: It is not based on the versions of the characters or the events of the movies, it's more based off the comic book versions and has an original plotline. It's no more a movie game than say, the Batman: Arkham games or the PS4 Spider-Man games are.

SirSamVimes fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Oct 31, 2021

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
From what Ive watched, the writing for Guardians is indeed pretty good.
So Moonglow Bay devs decided to not include any kind of autosave, no idea why but thats a hard pass from me.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Guardians of the Galaxy is surpringly good. When I watched the E3 trailer I thought the constant babbling is annoying but it kinda works well, is entertaining and audio tech is extremely good, providing clear understanding of voice lines without loving every other track and working perfect on a stereo setup, maintaining great 3D atmo.

gameplay feels solid, adding a bunch of known mechanics together in a new mix which works very good.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

SirSamVimes posted:

It's more of a comic book game than a movie game.

edit: To clarify: It is not based on the versions of the characters or the events of the movies, it's more based off the comic book versions and has an original plotline. It's no more a movie game than say, the Batman: Arkham games or the PS4 Spider-Man games are.

That's a good point. Comic books usually do pretty good. Even kid's shows often make decent videogames.

Lamech
Nov 20, 2001

Soiled Meat
I loved X-Men Origins: Wolverine and have been waiting for a good single player comic book/movie game to come around, so I'll probably check out Guardians of the Galaxy...when it's like $20

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iESAoq8x-so

Emandesunu
May 28, 2013

burial posted:

Me too. Even when directly presented with evidence to the contrary, the acceptance is only temporary. As soon as I stop thinking about it, I forget and revert back to the original belief/starting assumption next time it comes up.

e: reading that back, it's a bit frightening. What if I do the same thing with important stuff?

Best to stop thinking about it and revert back to the comfort that nothing is wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madfury
Dec 21, 2005
rõve loom

Dr_Amazing posted:

The Riddick game of olden days was loving excellent. All the other ones...not so much so I get where the feeling comes from. GotG looks just average to me and I dont like the visual style so a pass from me. Doesnt mean its a bad game though.