Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Alkydere posted:

So I go through managers on a regular basis. Nothing exactly surprising, it's just that Amazon is expanding and my facility is one of the better FCs so corporate really likes to promote from the FC in hopes they'll bring whatever dark magic keeps a medium-sized building that's 5 years old (literally ancient in Amazon terms) in the top ten network wide to wherever they move to. If you get on the management train you're guaranteed to be moving up here. In the 4 years I've worked here I've had like...15 managers and only 1 has gotten fired vs. being promoted.

My latest manager is...a nice guy but he's also not the sharpest tool in the shed by far. He started chatting with me last night and he's all "...I have no idea how they are going to keep anyone if upper management keeps ignoring my suggestion of paying everyone more..."

On one hand I find it hilarious that its getting bad enough that I know of at least one manager starting to crack. On the other hand, as I said this guy's not the brightest bulb and doesn't seem to notice that the people actually in charge of the money view him as yet another peasant like the rest of us and thus his opinions aren't actually desired.

He thinks paying people better will result in better staff. So he's smarter than most.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

He's a nice guy and he tries. Which is why he's doomed.

Also it's taken us like 3 months of telling him what Holiday Peak will be like and it's finally started to penetrate his skull.

Blue Moonlight posted:

It’s almost adorable how he hasn’t realized that upper management A) has already thought of that; B) has already determined that would directly negatively impact their ability to buy more yachts and is therefore a non-starter; and C) knows that there’s always someone in America willing forced to work for less.

Edit: Seriously it's going to take December being an absolute trainwreck for corporate to pay attention. No one below the building's GM has even the slightest impact on wages.

On the plus side he did let drop that we're probably getting our pandemic +$2/hour back. That they gave, took away, then had to more or less give back as permanent wage increass when suddenly they couldn't hire/retain anyone. So I'll be making over $20/hour if that comes true.

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Oct 29, 2021

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Alkydere posted:

"...I have no idea how they are going to keep anyone if upper management keeps ignoring my suggestion of paying everyone more..."

It’s almost adorable how he hasn’t realized that upper management A) has already thought of that; B) has already determined that would directly negatively impact their ability to buy more yachts and is therefore a non-starter; and C) knows that there’s always someone in America willing forced to work for less.

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:

Outrail posted:

FYI youre supposed to make a criminally low bid without taking into account all sorts of stupid scenarios* outlined in the 'Assumptions' fine text. Once you have the job submit dozens of cost variations due to unforeseen circumstances.

* Poor weather
* Increasing base material costs
* Tuesdays
* Staff capacity issues
* Site access impediments
* Cows
* Fridays
* Other circumstances beyond our control

I was surprised the force majeure clause in every contract I've ever seen hasn't been getting invoked all over the place. They typically specifically include pandemics.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Xaintrailles posted:

I was surprised the force majeure clause in every contract I've ever seen hasn't been getting invoked all over the place. They typically specifically include pandemics.

If I ever get back into contracting and see a proposal that doesn't include a pandemic clause I'm going to yeet it out the window.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

I have virtually no complaints about my job, but I’m nearing the end of a fun cycle I’ve seen over multiple jobs.

1. Leadership tasks me with developing process
2. I do so, suggest an industry standard tool to do important, regular task
3. Leadership rejects this new tool because of cost, suggests a lower efficiency, higher time involved tool for slightly less money
4. Team members spend lots of time and resources conducting less efficient process with sub-standard tool
5. Leadership becomes concerned that this process is inefficient, taking too much time, researches better tools
6. Discovers tool I suggested in step 2, decides it’s the right one for job
7. Implements said tool
8. “Yorkshire, we need to develop this new process. Will you look into it?”

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

9: gently caress around for a few weeks doing nothing
10: Change dates on previous research and present to management

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

I have virtually no complaints about my job, but I’m nearing the end of a fun cycle I’ve seen over multiple jobs.

3. Leadership rejects this new tool because of cost, suggests a lower efficiency, higher time involved tool for slightly less money
4. Team members spend lots of time and resources conducting less efficient process with sub-standard tool
5. Leadership becomes concerned that this process is inefficient, taking too much time, researches better tools
7. Implements said tool

My favorite cycle is:

1. Operations/Sales wants to start a new process
2. My team builds out an MVP for the process.
3. Begin to iterate past MVP, adding new features regularly
4. An executive has a call with a sales person from a vendor who promises they can do this better.
5. A new project is started to replace our internal solution with the vendor
6. After spending many times more time and money than the internal solution cost, the vendor's solution is worse than the internal one, and has massive cost going forward.

It's never some big well known vendor either. Always some tiny company I've never heard of that promises the world and falls critically short.

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

This thread has made me realize my job is actually pretty sick.

I do basically 3 things at my job:

1. Manager or customer says they need a thing, I make that thing happen. This can take 5 minutes or one year+ depending on complexity.

2. Manager or customer breaks one of the things I did previously, and I fix it.

3. I have meetings to talk about things they have, want, or don't want, and make recommendations accordingly on how to proceed. Sometimes I pull in other teams because they do things I don't do to get things done.

That's pretty much it. No KPIs, deadlines are largely fluid or forecasted out well, and mostly I'm left alone to do my job. And I keep asking for more money and promotions and they keep giving them to me, and I get good health insurance and 6 weeks PTO a year, which is neat. The only downside is that because I work in healthcare IT (kinda), if I gently caress something up someone could die because of it down the line, and that encourages me to do a good job on the things I do.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
I'm constantly writing grant and funding requests. Every single funder has its own unique application template that MUST be followed, usually with work or character counts. Often there will be segments like 'Detailed project description (2500 characters)'. This is about 500 words or a page to write a detailed description of a 5-year half-million-dollar multistage project with about a dozen phases. Sometimes I'll get a rejection letter with 'we'd like to see more detail'.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Outrail posted:

I'm constantly writing grant and funding requests. Every single funder has its own unique application template that MUST be followed, usually with work or character counts. Often there will be segments like 'Detailed project description (2500 characters)'. This is about 500 words or a page to write a detailed description of a 5-year half-million-dollar multistage project with about a dozen phases. Sometimes I'll get a rejection letter with 'we'd like to see more detail'.

As a person on the other side of funding, a lot of those are because there are 3 people who review those applications and if there’s no limit you get people submitting the same form they’ve sent to 9 other grant makers and it’s 78 pages long.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

As a person on the other side of funding, a lot of those are because there are 3 people who review those applications and if there’s no limit you get people submitting the same form they’ve sent to 9 other grant makers and it’s 78 pages long.

quote:

I have discovered a truly marvelous proposal for this, which this text box is too narrow to contain.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Yeah, I get that. But why make it so restrictive it's impossible to adequately explain what you're trying to fund?

So why not talk to the other grantmakers and standardize the applications? Or actually talk to grantees and have application templates that actually make sense?

Or even better, have prospective grantees submit a basic one-page expression of interest with a total budget and grant request, and pick the projects you're likely to fund and have them submit a detailed application so the rest of us don't waste our time and yours? A couple of grantors do that and it's so much easier for everyone.

Last year I spent the better part of a month developing a climate adaptation project for some government fund that gave us a month's notice to submit a 'new, shovel-ready project with a budget of more than $100,000' for some economic stimulus thing. Turns out they funded about 1% of applicants. Literally hundreds of people spent weeks frantically trying to pull poo poo together because they'd been encouraged to and it was all for nothing. Literally, hundreds of thousands of dollars of people hours wasted, plus the time someone had to trawl through all those applications. The majority of that effort could have been avoided if they asked for 1 pager expression of interest. I'm sure most of those applications got a 20-second glace before being discarded. We are desperate for funding and have no choice but to jump through these inane hoops for no good reason. It's disrespectful.

Outrail fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Oct 29, 2021

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
My workplace does Very Important science and having the correct time is critical. Therefore we have Special Clocks: the one in the office glitches out at 12 every day and doesn't move for a couple of hours while the one in the corridor only ticks along in 5 second intervals. How do you get a loving clock wrong?!

7. Implements said tool

This seems oddly familiar. I was set to work on a new process for Green Belt training, instead of the project that would have worked, surprise, the project I was given that's supposed to save tens of thousands of dollars is more complex, vastly more time consuming, lower quality and probably more expensive in the long run. I think someone else on my team will have a project to implement the new actually good system next year.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

Outrail posted:

FYI youre supposed to make a criminally low bid without taking into account all sorts of stupid scenarios* outlined in the 'Assumptions' fine text. Once you have the job submit dozens of cost variations due to unforeseen circumstances.

* Poor weather
* Increasing base material costs
* Tuesdays
* Staff capacity issues
* Site access impediments
* Cows
* Fridays
* Other circumstances beyond our control

Alternatively, just interpret the deliverables in the contract in the most absurd and pedantic way so you can deliver something far below their expectations and invoice them for the full price plus 15% buffer written into the contract terms.

I've worked with some real sociopathic scumbags who would do this and then throw the project managers under the bus when the client rightfully gets super pissed off.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Outrail posted:

Yeah, I get that. But why make it so restrictive it's impossible to adequately explain what you're trying to fund?

So why not talk to the other grantmakers and standardize the applications? Or actually talk to grantees and have application templates that actually make sense?

Or even better, have prospective grantees submit a basic one-page expression of interest with a total budget and grant request, and pick the projects you're likely to fund and have them submit a detailed application so the rest of us don't waste our time and yours? A couple of grantors do that and it's so much easier for everyone.

I agree with you, and I have heard some grant makers talk about moving to a standard universal organization. The problem is that grantmaking organizations tend to do their own thing and aren’t beholden to anyone, so good luck convincing them to change anything if they don’t want to.

And my organization does the process you’re talking about in the 3rd paragraph. We have an initial short application to see if it’s a fit, and then we ask for a full application. The problem is there’s still no guarantee that the actual decision makers will want to fund every project we send their way, so some people end up writing 50 page proposals and still getting nothing.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

I agree with you, and I have heard some grant makers talk about moving to a standard universal organization. The problem is that grantmaking organizations tend to do their own thing and aren’t beholden to anyone, so good luck convincing them to change anything if they don’t want to.

And my organization does the process you’re talking about in the 3rd paragraph. We have an initial short application to see if it’s a fit, and then we ask for a full application. The problem is there’s still no guarantee that the actual decision makers will want to fund every project we send their way, so some people end up writing 50 page proposals and still getting nothing.

It's the same bullshit as doing your taxes. There's obviously an easier way but the people in control of it don't care so everyone else suffers.

Yeah, so your org is doing something. If you can cut it down from a 5% chance of approval to a 75% chance by only inviting a small number of the best looking proposed applications that's saving all the rest a huge amount of pain.

Diametunim
Oct 26, 2010

Marmaduke! posted:

How do you get a loving clock wrong?!

It's always DNS, right up until it's NTP.

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

TotalLossBrain posted:

I am currently working with someone who has similar qualities. He's not very good at following up on poo poo he'd previously agreed to do.
Then you poke/email/call and the flustered response will be something like "I can't, I am waiting for X to do Y first!" as a first defense sort of thing.
No, X has already done Y before you even agreed to do this, we talked about this!

I worked at a job quite a few years ago where this was strangely rampant. Everything would normally be ticking like clockwork, you see, if it wasn't for Other Person. Sorry, but we need to wait on him/her. A TON of people dealt with things this way.

I had great fun in writing emails and including both people on them and providing quotes from older emails and basically just playing, "Let's you and him fight." Sometimes people wised up and poo poo actually got accomplished at that point without the nonsense. Other times, the accusations and ducking and dodging were seriously impressive as people got called on their poo poo, and things exploded in spectacular fashion. Overall, I'm not sure if it was necessarily productive, but I sure enjoyed it before moving on to other prospects.

:munch:

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Outrail posted:

It's the same bullshit as doing your taxes. There's obviously an easier way but the people in control of it don't care so everyone else suffers.

Yeah, so your org is doing something. If you can cut it down from a 5% chance of approval to a 75% chance by only inviting a small number of the best looking proposed applications that's saving all the rest a huge amount of pain.

As someone who has both written and reviewed grants, most of the terrible ones are government grants who have incredibly specific and complex requirements, often with waiting times that are many months long.

I definitely prefer to be on the side I am now, but it’s not all rainbows. I’m currently sifting through a 50 page application requesting an 8-figure grant. It’s obvious that somebody (likely multiple people) just chopped up several previous grant applications and frankensteined them together. Nothing flows, I have very little idea where this money is going to, and many of the figures don’t add up.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

As someone who has both written and reviewed grants, most of the terrible ones are government grants who have incredibly specific and complex requirements, often with waiting times that are many months long.

I definitely prefer to be on the side I am now, but it’s not all rainbows. I’m currently sifting through a 50 page application requesting an 8-figure grant. It’s obvious that somebody (likely multiple people) just chopped up several previous grant applications and frankensteined them together. Nothing flows, I have very little idea where this money is going to, and many of the figures don’t add up.

So how much are you going to approve them for? $99,999,999?

aceface
Dec 27, 2017

Have you tried turning it off and on again?
We're a relatively small biz. $1-2 million a year doing pretty niche stuff.

Our owner is insistent that our 15 person company need to be just like Greta [sic]Thumberg and be leaders and advocates for global change in sustainability, equity, (insert eco catchphrase here) etc...

This has led to us dumping countless hours and a hefty chunk of change into marketing some nebulous non business related initiative that has no ROI.

It's ultimately turned into a vanity project to spotlight our owner as some kinda thought leader in sustainability. We recently dumped like 5k in resources into a "sustainability event" that was attended by like 10 people most of whom were the people who planned it.

Last year we paid our marketing team to nominate us for an award in an industry publication and then to write the fluff piece article. We got the piece (which mostly consisted of a photo of our owner) framed and then mounted it in the lobby next to all the other awards we made for ourselves.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Outrail posted:

Actually, it's better than doing your taxes. There's no one selling a grant proposal service while actively working and paying to prevent grant proposals from being simpler, so that people will continue to use them.

aceface posted:

It's ultimately turned into a vanity project to spotlight our owner as some kinda thought leader in

"Turned into," yes, of course.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Batterypowered7 posted:

So how much are you going to approve them for? $99,999,999?

I don’t make the final decisions, but if I had to guess it will be $00,000,000.00

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Volmarias posted:

Actually, it's better than doing your taxes. There's no one selling a grant proposal service while actively working and paying to prevent grant proposals from being simpler, so that people will continue to use them.

There are tons of people offering grant writing services, not sure if they have infiltrated bribed lobbied grantors yet.

The poo poo thing is of course people are Frankensteining previous grant proposals together! We don't have the time or money to pay staff to write endless perfect applications from scratch. If application #1 was approved we wouldn't need to apply for grants #2-5. It becomes a self-fulfilling cycle as we run out of organizational funding and get desperate, funding the applications become more incomprehensible as we're forced to just fling poo poo at the walls and hope something sticks.

The choice is to put all your eggs in one basket and do one really good proposal for a single grantor or spread the effort among multiple applications. Either way we'll be criticized.

My favourite is when I carefully ask what our chances are and if it's worth applying, they say it's a great project and has a great chance and we're encouraged to apply. Then get rejection letters stating 'Great proposal! We just don't have enough money to fund everyone! gently caress you! Try again next year!'. That happens so often I want to scream and it's obvious we never had a 'great chance'.

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

I don’t make the final decisions, but if I had to guess it will be $00,000,000.00

Need some more zeroes there, this is government work.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Outrail posted:

There are tons of people offering grant writing services, not sure if they have infiltrated bribed lobbied grantors yet.

The poo poo thing is of course people are Frankensteining previous grant proposals together! We don't have the time or money to pay staff to write endless perfect applications from scratch. If application #1 was approved we wouldn't need to apply for grants #2-5. It becomes a self-fulfilling cycle as we run out of organizational funding and get desperate, funding the applications become more incomprehensible as we're forced to just fling poo poo at the walls and hope something sticks.

The choice is to put all your eggs in one basket and do one really good proposal for a single grantor or spread the effort among multiple applications. Either way we'll be criticized.

My favourite is when I carefully ask what our chances are and if it's worth applying, they say it's a great project and has a great chance and we're encouraged to apply. Then get rejection letters stating 'Great proposal! We just don't have enough money to fund everyone! gently caress you! Try again next year!'. That happens so often I want to scream and it's obvious we never had a 'great chance'.

Again, you’re absolutely correct and writing grants is a crapshoot, but this is usually a difference between reviewers and those with decision power.

I can work with a grantee and help them make an application I think is fantastic, and something I know has been looked at favorable in the past and approved. Then I send it up the chain and get back a “Not Approved”, and I have to be the one to deliver the news.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Again, you’re absolutely correct and writing grants is a crapshoot, but this is usually a difference between reviewers and those with decision power.

I can work with a grantee and help them make an application I think is fantastic, and something I know has been looked at favorable in the past and approved. Then I send it up the chain and get back a “Not Approved”, and I have to be the one to deliver the news.

That sucks, I'm pretty sure that exact situation has happened to me multiple times and it sound like there's nothing you can do (aside from telling every applicant not to bother). Unfortunately from our perspective that still means the organization as whole sucks and has to be avoided. It doesn't really matter who makes the decisions, we've still wasted our time and rsources.

It's like a restaurant with great FOH and a terrible chef. Doesn't really matter how diligent or helpful or competent the servers are, it's still a bad restaurant.

I'm not having a go at you, and I get that you've been put in a lovely position, this is something the managers have to address and oh, look! Full circle back to management loving up everyone's lives.

We should start a charity and not-for-profit thread. I've been in the industry for two years and I can already feel myself burning out.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

https://slate.com/human-interest/2021/10/job-seeking-advice-hiring-trend-tight-economy.html

Abloobloobloobloobloo, eat poo poo, employers.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

haha get rekt

If I quoted the good parts it'd be the entire article. Pro read.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

I had a stupid thing happen to me at work today. One of my co workers is a real 'get-ahead' type. He's been angling for a serious job at the place I work for years and has been schmoozing his bosses and taking it upon himself to do all sorts of 'team-bonding' empty gestures. I like the guy well enough, he's not a bad guy and he has a really positive attitude all the time, he's not even that much of a chore to work with, but he has the energy of that one kid in class that never tones it down; he's probably never gonna see that promotion.

Well today, for everyone in our little department, he made team t-shirts with matching baseball caps. They're customized, and each one has the person's name, their year of birth, and a keyword with a quote (the keywords are all things like 'reliability', 'perfection', 'leadership' and the quotes are all his own quotes, he attributed them to himself.) My problem comes with the years, I was born in 1988 so now I'm the proud owner of a shirt with a giant 88 on the back and a hat to match. He, and most of the people there are completely oblivious to what has happened here (at least I would hope he is oblivious) but now I gotta find the most tactful way to tell him I'm not wearing the neo nazi shirt he had made for me.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Lmao

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

I have a german last name, and let me tell you, it does not help.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Plebian Parasite posted:

Double lmao

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Outrail posted:

That sucks, I'm pretty sure that exact situation has happened to me multiple times and it sound like there's nothing you can do (aside from telling every applicant not to bother). Unfortunately from our perspective that still means the organization as whole sucks and has to be avoided. It doesn't really matter who makes the decisions, we've still wasted our time and rsources.

It's like a restaurant with great FOH and a terrible chef. Doesn't really matter how diligent or helpful or competent the servers are, it's still a bad restaurant.

I'm not having a go at you, and I get that you've been put in a lovely position, this is something the managers have to address and oh, look! Full circle back to management loving up everyone's lives.

We should start a charity and not-for-profit thread. I've been in the industry for two years and I can already feel myself burning out.

Again, fully agree. However, the issue with that is most nonprofits can’t just pick up and take their business elsewhere. There are very limited grantmakers, many of whom are very focused in their area, so it’s a real sellers market. If you happen to be a regular grantee for one of these organizations you’ve hit the jackpot, but there aren’t a glut of organizations willing to write big checks over and over.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Plebian Parasite posted:

Tell him to get your number changed to nein.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Plebian Parasite posted:

There was a klaus88 who posted frequently in the military history thread

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
He should at least have printed your first pet's name and your mother's maiden name on the outfit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killswitch
Feb 25, 2009
poo poo, was Eric Lindros a racist?