Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

fuctifino posted:

I don't think words on paper matter anymore. My guess is that they are conditioning the gammon into accepting sanctions for breaking the NI protocol among other Brexit conditions, and labelling it up as though it is us who are in control or something.

"We chose this"
"YOU VOTED FOR THIS"
"THIS IS WHAT YOU WANTED"

"TRIGGER THE ARTICLE 16!"

e: loving lol

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1453763529513869314

The same rumour goes around here too (Bradford) so I guess it makes sense that it makes it as far as Keighley too. No clue if there's any truth whatsoever to it but I know Bradford does have a lot of drug use, and random fireworks at all times of the year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

crispix posted:

i think it's very important to be honest about when you've dropped a bollock

I didn't even remember the Docklands bombing, and I was definitely old enough to have been paying attention to the news, so I have learnt something today too.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Ed Balls

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

I haven't heard any news of the queen since she was hospitalized. Is Prince Andrew the king now?

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Noxville posted:

The same rumour goes around here too (Bradford) so I guess it makes sense that it makes it as far as Keighley too. No clue if there's any truth whatsoever to it but I know Bradford does have a lot of drug use, and random fireworks at all times of the year

I heard the fireworks in Bradford were for weddings (occasionally they're close enough to Halifax for me to hear them)

I've also heard the drug rumour but it doesn't stand up to any real scrutiny

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Noxville posted:

Even in a world without Whatsapp it just makes no loving sense. Have you ever tried to track down even a full-on fireworks display? You can say definitely that it's somewhere over there, but streets have an inconvenient habit of not heading directly over there. The only people it could work for as a signal are people within a few hundred metres, and it seems like walking around saying "You holding?" is a slightly more subtle way of checking stock than looking out for showers of sparkles and stars.

(The reason for random fireworks outside of November and December are teenagers, for individual rockets and bangers, and birthday parties for bigger displays, by the way)

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Fireworks for drugs.
Signal Flares for dogging hotspots.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
the fireworks spell out the address

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I'm lucky my dog doesn't seem too bothered by fireworks. People knocking at the door are terrifying murderers who must be repelled by screaming, and other dogs are absolutely unacceptable, but fireworks are just whatever.

My cats were like that when I lived in Walthamstow. There were fireworks every other week: Bonfire night, Christmas, New year, Diwali, Eid al-Fitr, Eid al-Adha, random birthdays and other celebrations

If he had a dog too, he's about to do a Harlan Ellison 'boy and his dog'.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib
We've had people setting off fireworks round here to gently caress with each other. Petty, mean drama like someone finally deciding their mate should gently caress off and find somewhere else to sleep other than the sofa. So the ex-mate takes it really well and sets off one of those 50-in-1 firework barrages outside their door.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Drugs fireworks.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
It's going to end up like that trainers-over-wires urban legend, where so many people end up believing it that eventually dealers start doing it.

Expect detailed but fictional memes describing how the type of firework correlates to the substance on offer, except a Catherine Wheel which means "they're onto us, flush everything now" and explains why the police have never been able to catch these brazen criminals in the act.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Lord Stimperor posted:

I haven't heard any news of the queen since she was hospitalized. Is Prince Andrew the king now?

The queen is not allowed to die, so she's been placed in a box so that nobody can know.

Jerkhammer
Mar 18, 2007

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Just an update:

I did alert my colleagues to the possibility that there was a 'bug' in the former colleague's email system. (No need to get more techy than that.)
Anyway, I managed to get her login details today and just inspected her email rules and found two rules:

The top one would get processed first so I think microsoft must have entered this one automatically via outlook as part of their take-down operation.

Anyway, I have advised my colleagues to check their message rules just in case.

Ed: I'll have to take another look at the rules following Incy's comment below! Seems they might be processed in different order to what I thought.

I haven't yet caught up with the thread, and am not an IT professional, but as I understand them, these rules are saying: A)if ex@exdigy.net is mentioned anywhere, disregard. And B)If 'invoice' 'payment' or 'statement' is mentioned anywhere, forward this message to ex@exidgy.net.

These rules both need to be removed ASAP. The first rule instructs you to disregard any warnings about the second, which is the dangerous one.

"The body of the message" is the main thing here. Of course "ex@exdigy.net" wouldn't be part of the body of the message. The only reason to include that in a message would be to inform you of the scam.

Jerkhammer fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Oct 29, 2021

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Jerkhammer posted:

I haven't yet caught up with the thread, and am not an IT professional, but as I understand them, these rules are saying: A)if ex@exdigy.net is mentioned anywhere, disregard. And B)If 'invoice' 'payment' or 'statement' is mentioned anywhere, forward this message to ex@exidgy.net.

These rules both need to be removed ASAP. The first rule instructs you to disregard any warnings about the second, which is the dangerous one.

"The body of the message" is the main thing here. Of course "ex@exdigy.net" wouldn't be part of the body of the message. The only reason to include that in a message would be to inform you of the scam.

Yes, now I managed to sign in to former colleague's email, both rules now deleted. Also messaged both my colleagues to check their own email rules when they get back from leave on Monday. (I'll probably have to help them with that.) (And thanks to posters for clarifying the effect of the top rule in the image.)

Jerkhammer
Mar 18, 2007

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Yes, now I managed to sign in to former colleague's email, both rules now deleted. Also messaged both my colleagues to check their own email rules when they get back from leave on Monday. (I'll probably have to help them with that.) (And thanks to posters for clarifying the effect of the top rule in the image.)

Oh lol. I just got to Incy and Borrovan's posts saying basically the same as I did.

At any rate, I'm glad you've found your way through this conundrum, and hope everyone here can be as helpful when you face your next one.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Why did they restart the festival? The oysters died years ago, it was the event that led to South Eastern getting that record fine. Every restaurant imports from Essex now.

Who on earth gave this the go ahead? I am genuinely stunned

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

If the queen snuffs it we need a thread title ready to go, everyone get thinking

Late to the party, but: UKMT: At least we still have the fascist regime

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

We just need to get another bishop up the field, and I think she'd be toast

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I'm lucky my dog doesn't seem too bothered by fireworks. People knocking at the door are terrifying murderers who must be repelled by screaming, and other dogs are absolutely unacceptable, but fireworks are just whatever.

My dog was a little stressed out by them but reacted the way she did to all stress - sitting at the top of the stairs, which put her as far as possible from any window or door and so the most peaceful place in the house (also the hot water pipes ran under there so it was always warm). For a massive idiot she really was pretty smart.

My cat however - once he gets over the resentment of being woken up by them - just seems to want to watch them out of the window. In fact all of my family's pets - even my niece's chihuahua - are pretty chill about fireworks. I wonder if that's just because every human in the family loves fireworks so they just have to learn to deal with them.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
edit i have deleted this message

NotJustANumber99 fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Oct 29, 2021

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Here we go....

https://twitter.com/BBCNews/status/1453807348892450821

Blame the escalations on the French when the imports stop and everything collapses.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

The British: We piss on those arrogant French, honestly if they come near our waters we should just shell them or lock them up for daring to look at our fish stocks.

Also the British: How dare the French disrespect us and capture our vessels.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

In fairness, it appears as if covered in each other's piss is just how the british live now.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
The Times are (badly) reporting that the governments ban on LGBT conversion therapies is watered down enough that religious bigots have got ‘we were just praying the gay away’ loopholes to drive through, but is worded ambiguously enough that it could/will target Mermaids.

The Times" url="https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/urging-change-gender-criminalised-trans-rights-lgbtq-0vw7trcj2 posted:

Adults who try to persuade children to change their gender will face criminal sanctions under government plans.

From next spring it will be illegal to convince someone to change their sexuality or gender identity, with extra safeguards to protect adolescents.

Government sources suggested that organisations such as Mermaids, a charity that offers advice and counselling to children with gender dysphoria, could be outlawed. Trans rights groups said that the proposals risked having a “chilling effect” on free speech.

Under the proposals, medical professionals such as psychiatrists and doctors will escape sanctions. Informal advice sought from family and friends will also not be criminalised. However, all other counselling offered to children under 18 will be outlawed and adults will have to consent to take part in…lovely paywall

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I had assumed that was the entire point of the legislation?

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

I had assumed that was the entire point of the legislation?

Not in any of the government rhetoric to date, no.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Expect any criticism to be met with "Look, this is just the initial proposal, that's why we have debates, so that we can make amendments" and then for nothing to change

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
What's actually going to be outlawed? "it will be illegal to convince someone to change their sexuality or gender identity" but not to change their presentation to match their gender identity, right?

There's a way of reading this that outlaws all the "no your gender identity is just something made up" terfery but not Mermaids, and it all depends in which angles it is pushed.

Is there going to be anything in there about medically coercing infants into binary gender?

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
Weekend craziness crew starting early: what the absolute christing gently caress is going on here?

Safe for work :reddit: link https://www.reddit.com/r/AskUK/comments/qhpug7/

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I like how because it's reddit the most likely explanation is that the whole thing is an hallucination due to carbon monoxide from unknifed poos or something.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
That’s at least more interesting than the real “because it’s Reddit” explanation: it’s just fiction written for internet points.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

The addition of loving Cleggy to Zuckerberg’s absurd Dorkathon yesterday is absolutely priceless

https://twitter.com/carolecadwalla/status/1453809758616567809

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

peanut- posted:

That’s at least more interesting than the real “because it’s Reddit” explanation: it’s just fiction written for internet points.

Yeah, I hate the whole 'it's just Reddit' thing but this seems like it's absolutely one of those. Unfortunately.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
Didn't it turn out the carbon monoxide story had also been made up to promote the redditors chimney repair business?

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
My cat grew up on the streets of Govanhill, fireworks do not faze her one iota.

The vacuum cleaner on the other hand sends her to the top of the bedroom wardrobe.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Guavanaut posted:

What's actually going to be outlawed? "it will be illegal to convince someone to change their sexuality or gender identity" but not to change their presentation to match their gender identity, right?

There's a way of reading this that outlaws all the "no your gender identity is just something made up" terfery but not Mermaids, and it all depends in which angles it is pushed.

Is there going to be anything in there about medically coercing infants into binary gender?

This is the text of The Times article;

quote:

Adults who try to persuade children to change their gender will face criminal sanctions under government plans.
From next spring it will be illegal to convince someone to change their sexuality or gender identity, with extra safeguards to protect adolescents.
Government sources suggested that organisations such as Mermaids, a charity that offers advice and counselling to children with gender dysphoria, could be outlawed. Trans rights groups said that the proposals risked having a “chilling effect” on free speech.

Under the proposals, medical professionals such as psychiatrists and doctors will escape sanctions. Informal advice sought from family and friends will also not be criminalised. However, all other counselling offered to children under 18 will be outlawed and adults will have to consent to take part in therapy. The laws will be introduced after a consultation.

Although the decision to ban gender identity counselling is controversial, the protections for gay and lesbian people have been welcomed. LGBT+ campaigners have long called for a ban on gay conversion therapy. Under the practice, religious groups try to “cure” gay people through prayer or counselling. In extreme cases individuals have beeen subjected to violence or “corrective rape”. Judges will be asked to hand down longer sentences for such crimes.

The government will also give courts the power to seize the passports of under 18s who are at risk of being taken out of the country. The new Conversion Therapy Protection Orders will work in a similar way to an existing scheme that allows officials to intervene on behalf of children at risk of female genital mutilation or forced marriage.

Liz Truss, the equalities minister, said that LGBT+ people deserved to live their lives free from the threat of harm or abuse. “There should be no place for the abhorrent practice of coercive conversion therapy in our society,” she said.
“I want everyone to be able to love who they want and be themselves. Today’s announcement sets out how we will ban an archaic practice that has no place in modern life.”
The case of Keira Bell, a 24-year-old woman who began taking puberty blockers as a teenager before later detransitioning, is understood to have influenced Truss’s decision to include gender identity counselling in the ban. Bell met Kemi Badenoch, a junior equalities minister, this year.

Stephanie Davies-Arai, director of Transgender Trend, a group of parents, professionals and academics troubled by the trend to diagnose children as transgender, said that the new laws could threaten legitimate discussions.
She said: “This may have a chilling effect on therapists working with children with gender dysphoria unless there are clear, specific protections built into the bill.” Nancy Kelley, chief executive of Stonewall, welcomed the “huge step forward” on gay conversion therapy but urged the government to go further on prayer and support for victims.
“We also can’t support the proposals for people to ‘consent’ to conversion therapy — a practice that is abusive cannot be consented to,” she said.

So;

• Ban gay/lesbian/bisexual conversion therapy in the UK - Good
  • Ban gay/lesbian/bisexual conversion therapy in the UK, but introduce the concept that a person could potentially consent to that therapy and therefore it's OK - Awful
  • Introduce Protection Orders for children at risk of being sent abroad - Good
  • Conflating Mermaids with conversion therapy - Bad
  • Because 1&3 will impact 4, potentially introduce CTP Orders for parents looking to take their trans kids to places with trans affirming care. Awful
  • Transgender Trend worried because their reading of the bill would, potentially, stop them from counselling children who are trans (now without support) - Given the specific reference to Mermaids being made by government sources - I highly doubt it, but chalk that up to good
  • Kemi Badenoch meeting with Keira Bell and TERF's being disproportionately represented within politics and media - Awful
  • Not sure where 'go further on prayer' comes from but I worry that there will be some level of religious exemption given everything is shite and we live in hell times.

keep punching joe posted:

The vacuum cleaner on the other hand sends her to the top of the bedroom wardrobe.

Scottish, not fazed by a fiery and explosive atmosphere but runs away from cleaners? Is your cat Nicola Sturgeon?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Only Kindness posted:

Weekend craziness crew starting early: what the absolute christing gently caress is going on here?

Safe for work :reddit: link https://www.reddit.com/r/AskUK/comments/qhpug7/

If the poster (on reddit) is that curious, why not get hold of the land registry title document for the property and see how many changes of ownership there have been?

https://www.gov.uk/search-property-information-land-registry

keep punching joe posted:

One time I came home about 11pm after an after-work do and through the front door heard my vacuum cleaner going. Weird. "At last" I thought to myself, "my mother has turned up unexpectedly and is vacuuming my flat like normal mothers do" (I was about 35 at the time and just about everyone I knew my age had mothers who turned up randomly and cleaned their homes - mine never did).
When I got in, the vacuum cleaner was in the doorway between kitchen and living room (where I probably left it a few days earlier), on, and my two cats about 6 months old at the time cowering in terror in the kitchen. One of them must have stood on the rocker switch and turned it on accidentally - no idea how long they'd been cowering in there!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Total Meatlove posted:

This is the text of The Times article;

So;

quote:

“We also can’t support the proposals for people to ‘consent’ to conversion therapy — a practice that is abusive cannot be consented to,” she said.
It's slightly ironic that they're using the exact same legal language that they used to ban 'sodomy' and consensual kink for decades against conversion practices, but yes definitely worrying if they're using the broad brush of 'abusive practices' because that alone can't properly distinguish why conversion is not at all the same as affirmation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Trip report : I deactivated Twitter and now have no social media presence. How in the hell do you get by without knowing precisely what is happening every second of everywhere? It's quite anxiety inducing to be honest.