Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

SKULL.GIF posted:

car! give me car! car! fatphobe!!! give car! car now y'all!

https://twitter.com/molliekatie/status/1451074392646107140

you wouldn't be fat if you walked more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

SKULL.GIF posted:

just completely and utterly insane

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Our transit system offers on-demand pickups for people with mobility issues. NEXT

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

Seems weird for them not to include mention of disabled people with conditions that keep them from driving

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Our transit system offers on-demand pickups for people with mobility issues. NEXT

this x1000

unfortunately the people making these arguments aren't arguing in good faith. they just like their cars a lot

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

A lot of people I know with mobility issues also have income issues as a result, and cannot afford to "buy in" to car culture and thus are enormously harmed by everything being built around personal vehicle ownership, but I guess that's not a very heavy weight on the scales compared to "I don't want to walk or take public transit"

Blockade posted:

Seems weird for them not to include mention of disabled people with conditions that keep them from driving

also this yeah

coward closed their replies too lmao

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
oh man imagine if they invented like, a motorized wheelchair that could get you to trains and stuff

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

zegermans posted:

you wouldn't be fat if you walked more
this implies that being morbidly obese isn't good which is extremely problematic imho

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Polo-Rican posted:

this x1000

unfortunately the people making these arguments aren't arguing in good faith. they just like their cars a lot

I mean they say this but if you watch people while they're driving, they really don't since they tend to do everything but drive while doing so

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
wheres the we cant have transit because large dogs guy. show yourself coward

https://blog.theanimalrescuesite.greatergood.com/boji-dog-istanbul/

Officials Put A Tracker On A Dog Using Public Transportation And Learned He Traveled 30 Km Every Day

Boji is a very intelligent animal and locals have gotten to know him quite well. He navigates his way through the public transportation system on his own, taking the tram line, Metro, and sometimes he would even hop on a train.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

mila kunis posted:

wheres the we cant have transit because large dogs guy. show yourself coward

I'm not allowed to take my greyhound on the light rail or any public transit here without a carrier (her crate is 30x42 gl with that)

If I had a pretty small dog where you could carry them in one of those by hand it'd be no problem

thank you for the post from Turkey though

actionjackson has issued a correction as of 18:00 on Oct 28, 2021

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Blockade posted:

also, the number of people who are disabled as a result of loving car crashes! i have a cousin who will be in a wheelchair for the rest of his life and a former boss with a long-term traumatic brain injury caused by car crashes. cars chew people up and spit them out.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

https://www.texasobserver.org/the-road-home/

I get renting sucks but this decision sounds pretty insane

quote:

Before she moved, Lafleur had been renting an apartment less than 10 minutes from her office, but she wanted to own a home in the city where she grew up. She soon realized her nonprofit salary wouldn’t get her very far. If you can’t afford to buy in Austin, Lafleur says, “You’re left up a creek without a paddle. Or you use that paddle and you travel to Cedar Park.”

As the price of housing in Austin has skyrocketed, low- and middle-income people like Lafleur have left the city in droves, seeking cheaper housing in the suburbs strung along Interstate 35—Round Rock and Pflugerville to the north, Buda and Kyle to the south, all of which have at least doubled or tripled in population since 2000. After she closed on her house, Lafleur joined the thousands of other people who crowd I-35 every day to get home, sitting in traffic for nearly 90 minutes to travel 25 miles. “At this point, driving on 35, which I still do every day, it’s a very, very stressful and anxiety-causing event,” she says.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

actionjackson posted:

https://www.texasobserver.org/the-road-home/

I get renting sucks but this decision sounds pretty insane

This basically my only option if I ever want to own, and I don't think it's worth it. Renting is also hell though, so

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

SKULL.GIF posted:

you can safely chuck any online twitter (or goon) lib using y'all into the dumpster.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Xaris posted:

you can safely chuck any online twitter (or goon) lib using y'all into the dumpster.

they're trying to ruin one of my favorite words

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

actionjackson posted:

I'm not allowed to take my greyhound on the light rail or any public transit here without a carrier (her crate is 30x42 gl with that)

If I had a pretty small dog where you could carry them in one of those by hand it'd be no problem

thank you for the post from Turkey though

i agree dogs should be allowed on buses and trains. that's a bad america-policy issue, not a functional inssue. the language most civilized countries, who are all cool with dogs anywhere, use is "under effective command" and some are fairly strict about making sure your dog is actually trained. actually it's wild how many countries like a lot in the EU and NZ are super cool with dogs, like lotto dogs on trains just chilling looking out the window, pubs filled with dogs, dogs on patios, indoor dining doggos chilling under tables, pretty much every park has people walking dogs, and hell there's a lot of cat and dog cafes.

unfortunately americans are lazy disgusting slobs who just want a symbol and throw them canned pedigree every night and leave them alone and can't be trusted to have anything. not even responsibly using a spoon

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Fitzy Fitz posted:

too late.

it's become dumb the word de jour of DC/NYC elite libs using it to condensingly talk down at people while pretending to be notmad, and it's so hilariously transparent.

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost

Fitzy Fitz posted:

it's not really a word, just two words that slur into each other. Like 'gonna'

seeing it typed w an apostrophe and all makes me wince

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Xaris posted:

i agree dogs should be allowed on buses and trains. that's a bad america-policy issue, not a functional inssue. the language most civilized countries, who are all cool with dogs anywhere, use is "under effective command" and some are fairly strict about making sure your dog is actually trained.

unfortunately americans are lazy disgusting slobs who just want a symbol and throw them canned pedigree every night and leave them alone and can't be trusted to have anything. not even responsibly using a spoon

the famously uncivilized Chinese, known for being lazy disgusting slobs, do not appear to allow dogs other than guide dogs.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Xaris posted:

i agree dogs should be allowed on buses and trains. that's a bad america-policy issue, not a functional inssue. the language most civilized countries, who are all cool with dogs anywhere, use is "under effective command" and some are fairly strict about making sure your dog is actually trained. actually it's wild how many countries like a lot in the EU and NZ are super cool with dogs, like lotto dogs on trains just chilling looking out the window, pubs filled with dogs, dogs on patios, indoor dining doggos chilling under tables, pretty much every park has people walking dogs, and hell there's a lot of cat and dog cafes.

One thing Europeans suck about is spaying/neutering. Every time I go to Austria I just see dog balls everywhere.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

most american modernist furniture is uncomfortable as gently caress and is far too expensive for something designed to be mass produced (bent plywood and steel tubing), and the equally popular scandinavian modernist furniture is even worse (tho generally priced more appropriately given the material costs). what you want to do is buy your chairs from a black clad religious devotee who lives in the middle of corn country instead. all of the austere grace plus it’s built for multigenerational households

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Mr. Sharps posted:

most american modernist furniture is uncomfortable as gently caress and is far too expensive for something designed to be mass produced (bent plywood and steel tubing), and the equally popular scandinavian modernist furniture is even worse (tho generally priced more appropriately given the material costs). what you want to do is buy your chairs from a black clad religious devotee who lives in the middle of corn country instead. all of the austere grace plus it’s built for multigenerational households

I'm not sure what modern furniture you are talking about that's made with plywood, the good stuff is MDF with a thick veneer. If you're buying something that's plywood you might as well just go to ikea

I only have three major pieces of furniture, and they were purchased from DWR or blu dot at between 45-60% off because they were promo items or floor models. Besides that I have a dresser, a couple side tables, a few floor lamps, a few chairs, a rug, a desk and uh... yep that's all you need. quality over quantity

if you don't give a poo poo what your furniture looks like though then just go on craigslist or w/e

actionjackson has issued a correction as of 23:07 on Oct 28, 2021

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I inherited most of my furniture from dead family members. The rest I found by dumpsters. Who can afford furniture

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I inherited most of my furniture from dead family members. The rest I found by dumpsters. Who can afford furniture

:shrug: people spend more on things they are really interested in, this is one of those things for me. but my discretionary expenses are just that and my dog lol

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Oh I'm not judging I just constantly marvel at the expense of things (like cars)

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Oh I'm not judging I just constantly marvel at the expense of things (like cars)

I've seen all sorts of insanely expensive modern furniture (typically because there are certain names and items that are famous as gently caress) so it's all relative. the smallest saarinen dining table (i.e. the 36" tulip table, see my avatar) is like 2200. the original florence knoll two seat sofa is 10k, and her marble credenza is like 15k. and denmark has it's own stable of designers that command insane prices, like finn juhl, arne jacobsen, hans wegner, and uhhh (see attachment)

but the only ones buying this poo poo are dumbass rich people so I'm fine with the grift. and almost all of this stuff is constantly ripped off, so a lot of times when you see it in home staging or w/e it's fake

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

https://twitter.com/RescueEwe/status/1453832334994657283?s=20

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost

actionjackson posted:

I'm not sure what modern furniture you are talking about that's made with plywood, the good stuff is MDF with a thick veneer. If you're buying something that's plywood you might as well just go to ikea

Lol. As a wood component MDF is poo poo, plywood beats it in everyway. Ikea makes most of their stuff from MDF anyways because it's less expensive to produce and form

the 'good stuff' is made w MDF because they get higher margins on it

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

actionjackson posted:

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Most of my furniture is solid wood, I grew out particle board and ikea poo poo in college.

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

You know what? I don't hate furniture. I feel my heart melting.

Then I think about cars.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Cars suck poo poo and sghould be OUTLAWED IMMEDIATELY

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Suplex Liberace posted:

Cars suck poo poo and sghould be OUTLAWED IMMEDIATELY

nice fatphobia u loving BITCH

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

get an EBIKE u MORON! you can even tow your over sized american DOGS behind it if you so need!!!

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

cool av posted:

You know what? I don't hate furniture. I feel my heart melting.

Then I think about cars.

:)

cars >:[

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

😡

car

edit: damnit

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

lil poopendorfer posted:

As a wood component MDF is poo poo, plywood beats it in everyway.

false

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Most of my furniture is solid wood, I grew out particle board and ikea poo poo in college.

solid wood is really unstable, if I had something that was just wood it would contract and expand because there's a lot of humidity variation where I live. Eventually it would crack.

it is true that the internal frame of the eames recliner above is plywood, but then it's veneered. I have no idea if MDF even existed when that chair was originally made though.

actionjackson has issued a correction as of 06:15 on Oct 29, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

zegermans posted:

One thing Europeans suck about is spaying/neutering. Every time I go to Austria I just see dog balls everywhere.

It’s like how you can drive fast on the Autobahn: just because it can never work in America doesn’t mean that it’s unworkable. In much of Europe, people are expected to actually take care of and control their pets. In Norway and Sweden I believe it’s even illegal to spay or neuter as an elective procedure