Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Carillon posted:

Well drat I wish I'd seen that before buying Pikesville at the store today.

They reached a tentative deal with the union today (probably thanks to the email I sent). :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Vox Nihili posted:

They reached a tentative deal with the union today (probably thanks to the email I sent). :toot:

Of course I read this news and promptly discover nobody near me has Pikesville in stock anyway. :mad:

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
In line for my monthly Blanton’s at the ABC store. Got here at 5am, about 20th in line. Asked the dude up front how long ago he got there- 3 days ago. For the Old Forester Birthday Bourbon, he said

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

What the gently caress is resale on it like?!
You’d be better working for three days surely :newlol:

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

GD_American posted:

In line for my monthly Blanton’s at the ABC store. Got here at 5am, about 20th in line. Asked the dude up front how long ago he got there- 3 days ago. For the Old Forester Birthday Bourbon, he said

Bourbon hunting is a mental disorder

Edit: I have no issue with you waiting a few hours for a bottle of Blanton's

Deceptive Thinker fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Oct 23, 2021

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Bape Culture posted:

What the gently caress is resale on it like?!
You’d be better working for three days surely :newlol:

$1000-1500 on a $130-150 bottle. Pretty dumb.

I got a bottle of Blackened x Willett last night. Finally one in the area. It was good. I probably wouldn’t wouldn’t buy it again but I don’t regret the purchase. It reminds me of Willett Rye and Angels Envy rye at the same time which are both bottles I love. I think for the price I probably would have rather bought a cigar malt or something compass box. If it had been $100 or less I would probably think it was a great value.

Nimmy
Feb 20, 2011

Soon young Melvin.
Your time will come.

Lawlicaust posted:

$1000-1500 on a $130-150 bottle. Pretty dumb.

I got a bottle of Blackened x Willett last night. Finally one in the area. It was good. I probably wouldn’t wouldn’t buy it again but I don’t regret the purchase. It reminds me of Willett Rye and Angels Envy rye at the same time which are both bottles I love. I think for the price I probably would have rather bought a cigar malt or something compass box. If it had been $100 or less I would probably think it was a great value.

I've had it a few times back to back now with a bottle of Willett 4 year Rye, and I prefer the Willett 4. Metallica music seems to really turn down what I like about the Willett, and I don't really like the Madeira influence, even though it is really subtle. So I agree with you, it's a good bottle of whiskey, but that $140 price is just way too high.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Ended up with a bottle of John J Bowman, and a bottle of Foursquare 2009 Dark Rum.

Opened the rum, it smells heavenly but is so goddamned hot on the tongue.

Also, they were selling Blanton's miniatures, which I did not know was a thing.

edit- after a few nips, that rum has an amazingly complex flavor. Some things there I couldn't begin to identify. If it had a little less burn ( I guess I could water it down) it would be a top-notch drink.

GD_American fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Oct 23, 2021

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

Foursquare makes some of the best rums on the market right now, and they're really transparent which is fairly hard to find elsewhere in the rum space

John J Bowman is like a better Blanton's imo, you did good with that too

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
They made waves when they first came out as they would test other rum makers proving they add sugar to spike ABV or flavours.
Foursquare puts out great stuff if a bit pricey.

I grabbed a bottle of Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban while I'm waiting for my order from the UK to get over. I'm wanting to explore Portwood finishes an the Dalmore Portwood and Tomatin 14 are on my short list.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Tiny Chalupa posted:

I grabbed a bottle of Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban while I'm waiting for my order from the UK to get over.
Good for sharing with people. It’s in dad’s liquor cabinet right now, and the one that got him out of Scotch Denialism when I brought some on vacation. Nowadays I have to buy my own Bourbon and share my Scotch! :argh:

quote:

the Dalmore Portwood

That’s all you had to say, you know :classiclol:

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Tiny Chalupa posted:

I grabbed a bottle of Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban while I'm waiting for my order from the UK to get over. I'm wanting to explore Portwood finishes an the Dalmore Portwood and Tomatin 14 are on my short list.

Hell yeah, portwood finishes own. I just got some of the woodinville port finish, and I quite like it. I'd probably put it above the quinta ruban, though it's been a while since I had that so who knows. Either way, it's way cheaper than dalmore/glenmorangie, so I'll probably have this as a regular part of my liquor cabinet.

The store was out of angels envy on the shelf when I went :(

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Is there a time of year more "interesting" bourbons tend go get released? I'm not hunting for any of the rare/allocated stuff, but it seems like all the liquor stores around here have *nothing* but the most common bourbons lately when they usually have a sprinkling of some weird stuff here and there.

:iiam:

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012

sean10mm posted:

Is there a time of year more "interesting" bourbons tend go get released? I'm not hunting for any of the rare/allocated stuff, but it seems like all the liquor stores around here have *nothing* but the most common bourbons lately when they usually have a sprinkling of some weird stuff here and there.

So the more interesting stuff is typically allocated or lottery based. Depending on if your in a ABC state or not will impact your ability to find those bottles from never going to loving happen to not ever likely to happen

You normally see the more rare stuff in September or November in terms of Bourbon.
Diego releases Scotch in the fall normally and Ardbeg does there overhyped releases in the Spring

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

sean10mm posted:

It is the same in the Memphis area, I know a couple of weeks ago it was supply-related. Basically it was nothing to do with backups at the US ports (for bourbon, anyway) but the lack of truck drivers and trucks themselves. It was explained to me that even Jack Daniel’s (from East Tennessee) was “rationing” even though production was up. Even gas/diesel are waaaaay more expensive because you can’t run a rig on solar power and fairy farts. We 5000% simply don’t have enough “sustainable” energy to run the US yet, and the more electric cars we develop the more fossil fuels we need to run power plants. Just because people want to get rid of seeing gas pumps doesn’t mean free power for trucking; electric trucks still need coal/oil power (even increased fossil fuel products and emissions for several years, if not a decade) and the “green “ energy is not even close to replacing gas and oil for a long time. The off-shore holdups are for every other imports, including Chinese Tupperware made from oil. And graphics cards. And clothes. And new cars with 100s of computer chips per car. Etc.

I don’t even like Jack Daniel’s, but if it gets to $30/bottle imagine Scotch/Bourbon prices for the decent stuff.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

sean10mm posted:

the ultra-limited stuff usually hits around this time of year, while I'd say that the more "interesting" stuff usually comes out sprinkled throughout the year - this is a bit screwed up this year, however, due to supply chain issues (and the HH strike)

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

sean10mm posted:

March/April and October/November probably have the most releases each year. ECBP, MWND, Maker’s FAE, BTAC have released in the last few weeks or will release soon. Stores should start getting them.

Unless you live in an ABC state the most interesting releases these days are barrel picks by your local stores. I’ve enjoyed fantastic barrel picks far more than most big releases lately.

Pick’s I have on the shelf now:
Multiple Obtanium
Rye3
HW Double Rye
Eagle Rare
Sagamore Rye
Thomas Moore (multiple)
Larceny

Four of the best liquor stores in the area all do barrel picks and usually have 5+ picks for sale at any given time. They generally let you sample them before buying too. I have bought several rare bottles I didn’t really care for because I couldn’t get them. I haven’t bought a barrel pick I did not drink.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

Lawlicaust posted:

Unless you live in an ABC state the most interesting releases these days are barrel picks by your local stores. I’ve enjoyed fantastic barrel picks far more than most big releases lately.

A local group here (that partners with 2 stores for their picks) has a Knob Creek Bourbon, Knob Creek Rye, ECBP, Barrell and Old Elk pick that are all stuck in supply chain limbo right now

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I’m told the Kirkland 23 does well on secondary but I’m not sure there’s much of a market here in DC.

I opened the Glendronach 18 and it was good, my first, but didn’t blow me away.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Oct 28, 2021

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Josh Lyman posted:

I’m told the Kirkland 23 does well on secondary but I’m not sure there’s much of a market here in DC.

This makes no sense to me, why would any kirkland brand product that is currently being sold do well on secondary. Other than like maybe toilet paper right now

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

My 87 year old grandmother mentioned that she has a crystal Scotch set (decanter and 6 glasses) that has been in our family for as long as she can remember- definitely over 100 years. She took one of the glasses to a place to have a chip fixed and they wouldn't touch it because apparently it was too valuable. Anyway, she asked if I would like it, which I said "Yes!" to.

This stuff definitely has lead in it, right?

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!
The odds seem very very high. I'd keep it as a family memento or decoration, but I wouldn't drink whisky out of it.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Professor Shark posted:

This stuff definitely has lead in it, right?

Yup.

And years ago I looked up lead leaching after acquiring my own fancy crystal decanter and hard liquor goes to dangerous levels in virtually no time. I might use it for wine if I pour immediately before meal but never for storing it.

Nimmy
Feb 20, 2011

Soon young Melvin.
Your time will come.

Josh Lyman posted:

I opened the Glendronach 18 and it was good, my first, but didn’t blow me away.

The 18 is awesome still, but a lot of the reason for its hype and price is that until 2019 or so it was actually a 23 or 24 year scotch. Personally I think the 15 is better.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

I forgot to mention that at the last event I went to, there was a 43 year Canadian Club.

Would that just taste like licking the inside of the barrel?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

GD_American posted:

I forgot to mention that at the last event I went to, there was a 43 year Canadian Club.

Would that just taste like licking the inside of the barrel?

Maybe used barrels plus cold climate means it's not that bad?

:shrug:

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

sean10mm posted:

Maybe used barrels plus cold climate means it's not that bad?

:shrug:

Reviews seem pretty complimentary, but it's still 350 bucks for a bottle of Canadian Club.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Got a Knob Creek single barrel select rye store pick, it's 6 years old, 115 proof and is pretty great!

GD_American posted:

Reviews seem pretty complimentary, but it's still 350 bucks for a bottle of Canadian Club.

Yeah, I'd never, ever buy that lol

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
MWND hit stores here in pretty large quantities and sold out in hours. So much for it being obtainable this year.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

GD_American posted:

Yeah, I wouldn't pay $350 for Canadian Club, but it's not like it's all bad. I'd love to get my hands on a nice bottle of CC Sherry Cask, but I'm poo poo out of luck with that.

Also, update: I'm about 3 glasses in right now of Canadian Rockies 17 for the evening, and can confirm that even towards the end of the bottle, it might be one of the most unique whiskies I've ever had. I just finished assignment set #2 (out of 8) for my CPA taxation module, so hopefully I can crack open one of my remaining three bottles of rare Canadian whisky once the exam is done in almost exactly 1 1/2 months.

Again, if anyone has any requests, I'll see what I can do to track them down.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

What do you guys use your bad or mediocre whisk(e)y for? You know, the ones you were gifted, or you got as part of a deal but aren't happy with, or just didn't live up to expectations and are now just sitting on your shelf collecting dust.

Cocktails?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Cocktails, cakes, sauces, those sorts of things.

There are a lot of cake recipes that can be jazzed up nicely with a teaspoon or two of rum or whisky.

Or put a shot in your hot mulled wine, maybe?

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Oct 30, 2021

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I just noticed yesterday that the price of Balvenie 12 went up by $5 here, making it $110. Hopefully not part of a trend.

Nimmy
Feb 20, 2011

Soon young Melvin.
Your time will come.
Wild Turkey 101 Rye is pretty good, I just picked up a bottle along with a store pick Russell's. I'm dangerously close to becoming a full on Wild Turkey fanboy.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
Managed to track down the Longrow 10 year Malbec finish, my lady enjoys a nice Malbec so hoping she might like this, and the Tomatin 14 so I can explore port finishes some more.

I'm still debating if it's worth doing the SMWS monthly offering where they send you a bottle between 70 and 200 bucks a month. I'd have to ship it to a neighboring state, only a 2 hour drive, for pickup though.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Nimmy posted:

Wild Turkey 101 Rye is pretty good, I just picked up a bottle along with a store pick Russell's. I'm dangerously close to becoming a full on Wild Turkey fanboy.

Wild Turkey is one of those things where either the particular "funk" in their whiskeys agrees with you, in which case you just just keep buying different Wild Turkey products forever, or it just tastes like charred moldy raisins or something and will never agree with you.

I think it's like cilantro where to a certain % of people it tastes like soap and everyone else thinks it's fine.

spankmeister posted:

What do you guys use your bad or mediocre whisk(e)y for? You know, the ones you were gifted, or you got as part of a deal but aren't happy with, or just didn't live up to expectations and are now just sitting on your shelf collecting dust.

Cocktails?

Lemon flavored soda water (like LaCroix or whatever), ice and mediocre whiskey often tastes surprisingly good mixed together.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Hmm yes that's a good idea. Gonna make some highballs

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
I was pretty disappointed with the new High West Double Rye, but I found that mixing it with a little Benedictine made it actually pass pretty well for a higher quality whiskey.

Nimmy
Feb 20, 2011

Soon young Melvin.
Your time will come.

sean10mm posted:

Wild Turkey is one of those things where either the particular "funk" in their whiskeys agrees with you, in which case you just just keep buying different Wild Turkey products forever, or it just tastes like charred moldy raisins or something and will never agree with you.

I think it's like cilantro where to a certain % of people it tastes like soap and everyone else thinks it's fine.

Interesting. I do tend to prefer Wild Turkey and Heaven Hill products and don't generally care for Buffalo Trace and (obviously) Dickel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I had Old Overholt Bonded for the first time… and it’s loving fantastic. Easily up there with Willet 4 Year and Pikesville as my favorite rye.

I tried Woodford Reserve Double Oak and it’s quite solid. I also tried Laphroaig Select and it’s trash. Just get the regular.

e: High West Campfire is really really good

E2: EH Taylor Rye is very good but I prefer the Campfire which is interesting since I’m prefer rye to bourbon

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Nov 1, 2021