Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

A big flaming stink posted:

they appear in regular booster packs at 1 in 3 packs.

And will be curled regardless :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Just realized that a lot of the people who post in MTG threads also post in CSPAM (myself included) Wonder what the correlation is

Self-loathing?

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

HootTheOwl posted:

only the foil ones!

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

only the foil ones!

The pictured pretty one was foiled

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

HootTheOwl posted:

Last couple of sets’ fools have actually held up really well.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

That prestige art feels like it was taken from a Rage card.

Like if Ron Spencer took up watercolors.

Ron Spencer's done a ton of MTG art over the years, actually https://scryfall.com/search?as=grid&order=name&q=%28artist%3ARon+artist%3ASpencer%29

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

TotalHell posted:

Last couple of sets’ fools have actually held up really well.

AFR's awful foils made me cash out and stop foiling my decks
:shrug:

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

That prestige art feels like it was taken from a Rage card.

Like if Ron Spencer took up watercolors.

Rage did have some good art from what I remember.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
https://twitter.com/highgai/status/1453690540944334853

lol

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
How's Thalia still around anyway isn't this supposed to be like significantly into the future of Innistrad or are they just speed running historical eras

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

INN->SOI->MID/VOW take place in real time, so it's been 10 years since Avacyn and Griselbrand broke out of the Helvault and 5 years since Emrakul made everyone go tentacle crazy

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Eej posted:

How's Thalia still around anyway isn't this supposed to be like significantly into the future of Innistrad or are they just speed running historical eras

Mtg time doesn't move very much, Jace looks the same young adult now that he was in Lorwyn.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
Does being a planeswalker slow your age anymore or are you now just basically exactly same as a mortal being except you can planeswalk too (and have better magic powers)

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Mike N Eich posted:

Does being a planeswalker slow your age anymore or are you now just basically exactly same as a mortal being except you can planeswalk too (and have better magic powers)

it doesn't mess with aging which is why liliana did that whole demon contract, she got a taste of immortality because she's an oldwalker and when she lost it she was like "this fuckin' bites"

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

President Ark posted:

it doesn't mess with aging which is why liliana did that whole demon contract, she got a taste of immortality because she's an oldwalker and when she lost it she was like "this fuckin' bites"

Of course, if you are already immortal due to say, being a a vampire or a dragon. Then for the most part you didn’t notice the loss.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Mtg time doesn't move very much, Jace looks the same young adult now that he was in Lorwyn.

Meanwhile it's been like 2000 years on Kamigawa

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Fish Of Doom posted:

Meanwhile it's been like 2000 years on Kamigawa

Yeah Kamigawa was basically a flashback set, it took place before Legends did chronologically

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Lone Goat posted:

Yeah Kamigawa was basically a flashback set, it took place before Legends did chronologically

isnt it the "explanation" for wtf a samurai was doing in dominaria

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004
I played magic from masques to invasion and that's all the timeline has ever progressed :colbert:

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
huh, apparently cleave was from the special playtest cards

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

huh, apparently cleave was from the special playtest cards

Many real cards have their origins in uncards
Still cool when you find them

AQE
Nov 5, 2011
I feel like if I were designing a mechanic like Cleave, I would call it something like Loophole and it would be from a plane with magical lawyers.

I should not be designing game mechanics.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

AQE posted:

I feel like if I were designing a mechanic like Cleave, I would call it something like Loophole and it would be from a plane with magical lawyers.

I should not be designing game mechanics.

I'd call it "Line item veto".

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Given that it's set at a high society wedding, I'd have gone with Privilege, since if you have more resources you have the ability to ignore certain restrictions on the card.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

I Before E posted:

Given that it's set at a high society wedding, I'd have gone with Privilege, since if you have more resources you have the ability to ignore certain restrictions on the card.

Remember that people with money own the company.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Corbeau posted:

Remember that people with money own the company.

That is fair, but imagine being able to say "I cast Dig Up, and I'm going to partake in the privilege of searching for any card I want, and not having to reveal it." at the table.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

I Before E posted:

That is fair, but imagine being able to say "I cast Dig Up, and I'm going to partake in the privilege of searching for any card I want, and not having to reveal it." at the table.

That sounds lame as hell tbh

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Lone Goat posted:

That sounds lame as hell tbh

Did you read it in a cool vampire voice

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

I Before E posted:

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Just realized that a lot of the people who post in MTG threads also post in CSPAM (myself included) Wonder what the correlation is

The correlation is being insufferable

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

The weird thing about cleave as a keyword is that you'd think they'd want to reserve a word like "cleave" for some other kind of mechanic.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination
I don't know why they did a reprint of Tolarian Winds that is worst in every way but now a rare...

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

CompeAnansi posted:

I don't know why they did a reprint of Tolarian Winds that is worst in every way but now a rare...

It's discards over the turn, not just at the moment.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Dread Fugue - B
Sorcery
Cleave 2B
Target player reveals their hand. You choose a nonland card from it [with mana value 2 or less]. That player discards that card.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

YggdrasilTM posted:

Dread Fugue - B
Sorcery
Cleave 2B
Target player reveals their hand. You choose a nonland card from it [with mana value 2 or less]. That player discards that card.

That card [sucks]. Frankly I don't like cleave as a concept at all, it's too transparently kicker. I assume they'll at least have some where cleave is an alternate cost that distinguishes it from the base cost. But then that's pretty similar to split cards but more boring.

I'm trying to think, is there anything brackets can do that isn't already done by kicker/split? And those mechanics can do a lot more than removing words. I guess you can fit more rules text because you don't have to out write the rules for both modes.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Magic Underwear posted:

I'm trying to think, is there anything brackets can do that isn't already done by kicker/split? And those mechanics can do a lot more than removing words. I guess you can fit more rules text because you don't have to out write the rules for both modes.

kicker/split can reproduce the 90% of the existing mechanics, so it's not a really fair comparison.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
Cleave is just such a bad word for what it does, like mentioned earlier Hack would be better.
Another ugly thing I noticed: reminder text on mythics. Ew.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
"X ability could be kicker or split cards" is a tired complaint, abilities are more then gameplay, flavor counts too

That being said cleave kinda sucks on that front lol

Yoked
Apr 3, 2007

Speaking of Cleave:

https://twitter.com/crokeyz/status/1454041681867718657?s=21

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

YggdrasilTM posted:

Dread Fugue - B
Sorcery
Cleave 2B

Seems playable TBH. A lot of the time the thing you're really wanting to take with Inquisition is their 2-drop, and this has the alternative mode of taking their expensive finisher later in the game.

Lol at playing discard spells in the Foretell meta though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Does not make birds so at least pretty safe one