Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Did I hear somebody say references?

Intelligent Life

Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

riderchop posted:

For Better or For Worse

Lynn's parenting attitude in a nutshell: children are supposed to be cute and obedient in the exact way mommy imagines, and if not, they are evil and to be punished.

Imagine Foob as a contemporary comic, she'd get mad at her kids for not providing the perfect instagram moment and you know it would be based on real incidents.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

I don't remember Calvin being a delinquent, to be honest. He did destroy things, true, but most of the time it was either accidental, or him being a first-grader and not realising what he was doing.

(I'm honestly hating this "tribute".)

Classic Kevin & Kell in: sponsorships and cuts (April 26 - May 2, 2004)

Modern Kevin & Kell

As a heads up: going on holiday starting Sunday, I'll be away for a week. Hellworld Posting will be likely paused for about seven days.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Kazinsal posted:

Yeah, you'd think this would have been something we'd be all over considering that like 90% of the country is at best barely habitable in the winter.

Just bring a thermos of coffee or soup, or whatever you want with you. A little thinking a head and you won't have to buy something.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Slammy posted:

Those Were the Days December 27, 1956

Didn't know the curse of audiophiles had been around for so long.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Hel posted:

Didn't know the curse of audiophiles had been around for so long.

High-fidelity ("high-fi") was a huge thing in the early to mid 1950s. Improved technology was able to create a genuinely better sound than the somewhat tinny and distorted records produced up through the 1940s.

The term "high-fi" would mostly disappear in the late 50smand early 60s as multichannel recordings became popular, which is when the term "stereo" became dominant.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

manero posted:

Nancy 1946

Some things haven't changed much. (except these days they also sell the information they get from your dna)

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (January 23, 2010)

Arlo and Janis Classic (January 23, 2000)

:cabot:

Garfield Classic (January 23, 1990)

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 10/28/01

Brenda Starr 6/29/47

Smokey Stover 2/27/44

I occasionally mention that Holman is shameless about recycling gags, but, well, for comparison purposes:

Smokey Stover 8/4/35

I guess he figured no one would remember after nine years.

Bonus Ad! Colonel Corn -- in case you thought the Frito Bandito was the only dumb mascot in Frito-Lay's history.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Selachian posted:

Get Fuzzy 10/28/01

Those are some Tim Kreider-level lumpenproles.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Mikl posted:

I don't remember Calvin being a delinquent, to be honest. He did destroy things, true, but most of the time it was either accidental, or him being a first-grader and not realising what he was doing.

It's hard to pin down what Calvin would be like as a real kid, but it doesn't surprise me that the people behind Dustin would view him that way. They don't give the impression that they're fond of kids who are anything other than perfectly obedient robots. As for the "tribute," it feels pretty lazy, and I find it funny that they feel the need to keep saying who they're dressed as.

Vintage Valiant (Dec. 28, 1947)

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Dec. 28, 1947)

That baby’s got a full chest of hair

Nancy 1946

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

My Lovely Horse posted:

Lynn's parenting attitude in a nutshell: children are supposed to be cute and obedient in the exact way mommy imagines, and if not, they are evil and to be punished.

Imagine Foob as a contemporary comic, she'd get mad at her kids for not providing the perfect instagram moment and you know it would be based on real incidents.

I had to read it a few times, because the first two I thought Lynn was imagining herself as the witch in the final panel.

But no, even that would be too self-aware.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

John Allison posted:

I know that I don't need to tell you, but that's Mildred's mum and Sonny's dad, who are brother and sister. They both have the noble Craven nose. That's SO Craven! As for the last panel, well, I am too scared to go into it so please come back next week.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Julet Esqu posted:

I wonder when Classic Mandrake is going to apologize to Narda for that time he put her in an insane asylum because she said the scientist had a shrink ray :allears:

What bills? You live with your parents.

So Kids 1st operates like the Catholic Church: We caught you doing something bad, we know what you did is wrong, we are willing to move you to a different institution to keep this quiet.

My Lovely Horse posted:

Yep. The clearest example of her mentality in a while - only her idealized version of motherhood matters, actually understanding or working with her children to have a fun experience together is completely outside her understanding. BEAR COSTUME OR NOTHING YOU UNGRATEFUL poo poo

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

Classic Zits

100 Demons: Cicadas cw: suicide

Childhood is Hell

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
The Far Side

Pickles

Zits

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Mikl posted:

Kelley only remembers Calvin as The Kid That Pisses On Things.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

John Allison posted:

I know that I don't need to tell you, but that's Mildred's mum and Sonny's dad, who are brother and sister.

lol I sure read that wrong for a second :anime:

JethroMcB posted:

So Kids 1st operates like the Catholic Church: We caught you doing something bad, we know what you did is wrong, we are willing to move you to a different institution to keep this quiet.

and the cops

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
What will her new job be? Art tutor to the demon child?

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

david reddick has never seen a seated human being

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

"Besides, we aren't even in the deep south."

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
You know what develops a strong staff at any workplace? Instant termination for any mistake. No write up policies. Oh, sorry, we can keep you on but we're halving your pay and changing your travel needs. :jerkbag:

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Doomykins posted:

You know what develops a strong staff at any workplace? Instant termination for any mistake. No write up policies. Oh, sorry, we can keep you on but we're halving your pay and changing your travel needs. :jerkbag:

She invited her friend to bring weapons to a school, and didn't even give the administration a heads-up.

Though that's probably not the writer's intention, it seems to me that the principal is bending over backwards to avoid firing her.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Steeple: Clotted Crime Part 3 – Daddy Slup, Shoo

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad Site
Steeple Website

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
I can see that but the vibe I get is that Luann is finally casting off the tedium and mediocrity of a dumb lame job with kids to go learn cool self-driven side hustle work with Tara. And that we're supposed to think Stan and the angry parent are jerks. But it wouldn't be Luann without the obtuse storytelling.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Doomykins posted:

I can see that but the vibe I get is that Luann is finally casting off the tedium and mediocrity of a dumb lame job with kids to go learn cool self-driven side hustle work with Tara. And that we're supposed to think Stan and the angry parent are jerks. But it wouldn't be Luann without the obtuse storytelling.

Stan absolutely is written as a bit of a jerk but that doesn't mean he's in the wrong here

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Mikl posted:

This is Skelly. He 100% parses normal first grader shenanigans as being a delinquent, and good obedient children would never let their parents know they do any of those things.

Selachian posted:

Bonus Ad! Colonel Corn -- in case you thought the Frito Bandito was the only dumb mascot in Frito-Lay's history.

Don't believe Colonel Corn's lies.

I like how Zits makes all the Proper Adult Clothes look dorky as hell while still being identifiably normal clothes.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

You guys are giving Luann way too much credit. You must always remember that, if ever given the chance, Luann will NEVER choose to do something interesting.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Boy oh boy is this speaking to me right now.

On that note - In today's Blueberry: Alistair and Blueberry disagree over practical applied physics, or I LEARNED IT FROM YOU, DAD!, or I must confess to some more editorializing on my part here - the original translation has Blueberry rescue Alistair because he doesn't want him to fall into the hands of the Indians - I feel that my choice of dialogue here fits the story better (I just didn't want it to go un-noted)

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Haifisch posted:

I like how Zits makes all the Proper Adult Clothes look dorky as hell while still being identifiably normal clothes.

In addition, pleated chinos with too much material through the thigh and a polo shirt with an inexplicable single giant color band around the mid-torso are an extremely 1997 "My Mom dressed me like this to 'look nice'" outfit.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!

Bibliotechno Music posted:

this got me. thank you for sharing.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Vater und Sohn: If y'all thought this was wholesome so far you've got another thing coming (51/1935)

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Ohhh :3:

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Bruceski posted:

A coffee vending machine but with broth.

You know, for the right price point I'd be in on that.

One of my old workplaces had those, your basic hot water + powder kind of machines. You could get plain hot water (provide your own tea bags), reasonable hot chocolate, punishingly bad coffee, or mostly okay chicken bouillon out of them.

They were free, which was definitely the right price point for them; I don't know that anyone would've ever used them otherwise. There's plenty of room in the vending-machine arena for someone to do better.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

It's such a no-brainer idea that I have to wonder what the hold-up is. The United States is leaps and bounds behind Japan in both convenience store food and vending machine technology :( .

And heck, you don't even really see hot coffee / hot chocolate machines anymore. I would've killed for one when I was laid up overnight in an airport and nothing was open.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

"And I'm not like this with you anymore either!"

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

riderchop posted:

Bibliotechno Music posted:

this got me. thank you for sharing.

I bought the book and am reading through it, it's amazing

Pigsfeet on Rye fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Oct 29, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Yvonmukluk posted:

Bad Machinery

The scene of Shauna on a date with the nerd is one my favorites in the whole series