Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

BiggestOrangeTree posted:

Have they announced some lovely Squid Game ripoff thing yet?

what, like a critique of capitalism? yeah, about a decade ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://i.imgur.com/eLIYuNg.gifv

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Incitatus posted:

Why would Space Bad Dragon make a dildo of a thumb? Isn't their raison d'etre more...ahem...girtheous shapes?

So here's the deal. You're not buying a dildo, you're investing in the concept of a future dildo.

It looks like you want a girthy one, and as our chairman indicates, there's actually a girth slider on the dildo. So whatever girth you want it will totally do.

Welcome to future dildo development.

The Titanic fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Oct 28, 2021

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Dwesa posted:

I never expected I would one day read smut about galaxies

:sureboat:

L. Ron Hoover
Nov 9, 2009

Have they announced some lovely Squid Game ripoff thing yet?

It's almost a reverse squid game, going into debt to not play a game

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

This is a Maine Coon named Richie.

https://instagram.com/richie_the_mainecoon_?utm_medium=copy_link

And he’s gorgeous.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Sammus posted:

This is a Maine Coon named Richie.

https://instagram.com/richie_the_mainecoon_?utm_medium=copy_link

And he’s gorgeous.

Thank you, I was totally wondering and trying to look it up since someone had asked and I didn't know. Reminded me of 'Fluffy' from Creepshow but when I looked up that thing I'm embarrassed how rad I thought it was when I was a kid

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Blue On Blue posted:

I think the implication that Chris is

A) young in 2038

B) The person that started a multi trillion dollar space ship business

C) Invented warp travel

D) Basically the greatest person to ever live

are all extremely funny

I bet the lore has golden statues of him on various space ports too to remind everyone just how great a person he was

It's even funnier to me now that real life people are doing exactly what his virtual OC Do Not Steal does. He made a fictional version of himself that does... other peoples' real-world jobs. It's like writing a fanfic about being Mark Zuckerberg. And he still somehow got beat to the punch by people IRL despite having received enough money to probably make a real Space Company. They delivered real-life commercial space flights before he could deliver commercial videogame space flight.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Will Facebook / Meta trademark "see you in the verse?"

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Also that his motto is "learn from the past" when real life :trustme: is incapable of that...

chris' only flaw is that he doesnt put into consideration that his employees are mere baseline humans and not as outstanding as him. i think it must have been during the video when he absolved himself of everything when he said the reason why they are behind schedule is because he always thinks that everyone can finish tasks as fast as he can, when in reality they take much more time then him for basically everything.

BumbleOne fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Oct 29, 2021

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

The Titanic posted:

So here's the deal. You're not buying a dildo, you're investing in the concept of a future dildo.

It looks like you want a girthy one, and as our chairman indicates, there's actually a girth slider on the dildo. So whatever girth you want it will totally do.

I was once at a sex panel at a sci fi con were the panilets said that vibrator that changes sizes would be ideal.

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

The Titanic posted:

Don't slip on the girth slider mid use. CiG are known for clipping issues.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
This is a Twitter thread about Amazon’s issues with New World but I couldn’t help noticing some similarities to Croberts

https://twitter.com/cubesos/status/1453756798025011206?s=21

https://twitter.com/cubesos/status/1453758158602653697?s=21

https://twitter.com/cubesos/status/1453762393738199054?s=21

https://twitter.com/cubesos/status/1453763361850728459?s=21

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

I dont understand. But it is cool and good.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
What is it about CryEngine that keeps attracting every bone-headed game designer to try and use it to make games it was not even remotely designed to run?

I'm thinking back to that Sonic Boom game that was largely hosed because Sega insisted that the studio making it had to use CryEngine for it....on the WIi U

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Probably good promo, cheap license and Crysis is a pretty game.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Kikas posted:

Probably good promo, cheap license and Crysis is a pretty game.

Crysis is the ultimate game for the specs-obsessed gamers. It's not that pretty imo, but it has fidelity. It's a good sell on paper probably.

I happened to check out this list a few days ago and the only game I have played from that list is Kingdom Come: Deliverance, which also has a bland sterile look, but has lots of ferns in the forest.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_CryEngine_games

It seems like the perfect engine for teams with no strong artistic direction, but a need for sterile detail.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

CryEngine is perfect if you want a map filled with bushes and trees and some good looking water here and there.

Which is why it makes perfect sense for a game set in outer space where the few planets are barren wastelands

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008
What was that story about as far as the engine is concerned star citizen is happening underwater

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I thought they picked the engine because the Crytech guys were contracted to make the early proof of concept demos?

Drakkel posted:

CryEngine is perfect if you want a map filled with bushes and trees and some good looking water here and there.

Which is why it makes perfect sense for a game set in outer space where the few planets are barren wastelands

Ironically, the Far Cry games have forked pretty far from the Cryengine starting with 2.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I thought they picked the engine because the Crytech guys were contracted to make the early proof of concept demos?

SC yes, but I was talking about other poor engine choices.

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014

What was that story about as far as the engine is concerned star citizen is happening underwater

Not all of it, think of a cartesian grid- the game is trying to utilize all available points in the map space and CryEngine (StarEngine? :confused:) renders everything below 0 or whatever the specific Y position is as underwater IIRC

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
This also ties in with the theory that in order to make the relatively small shooter-oriented Cryengine maps seem like a large universe, all of the game assets are shrunk/miniscule which wreaks havoc with collision detection etc. as the game keeps having to determine object coordinates that are too small to be precise at that scale

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
There are many ways that they could have gone about achieving their end goals (:airquote:cheating:airquote:) so basically anyone saying "if they did x instead" is correct, but just how they've gone wrong is what makes the whole thing so interesting. All of the terrible decision making lies at the hands of one person and it's humorous to see just how badly and openly they've mismanaged the entire thing.

Remember when they used to have like 3 weekly shows? Around the Verse, Reverse the Verse (:dafuq:), Bugsmashers, weren't there others? Just the amount of time that went into producing garbage filler content instead of game content is staggering. It really shows a perverse sense of dedication and commitment to the grift. Then you get poo poo like Finley the Stormwal which is so insultingly low effort that I feel secondary embarrassment for whoever spent the five minutes making that rendering.

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

crazy eyes mustafa posted:

Not all of it, think of a cartesian grid- the game is trying to utilize all available points in the map space and CryEngine (StarEngine? :confused:) renders everything below 0 or whatever the specific Y position is as underwater IIRC

At least as of couple years ago pilots in SC would randomly get the default water splash on screen animation that exists in CryEngine because they would go "under water" and then back above water while in space. I think it's fixed now (they just probably removed the art assets for the splash however the code is still running in the background).

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

MedicineHut posted:

I dont understand. But it is cool and good.

Some cats have a spot on the back where if you scritch it, it makes them start compulsively licking the air. It's like the thing where you scratch a dog and its leg starts kicking.

It probably hits a nerve cluster that feels super good, kitty figured out how to give himself a back rub

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qhx_0AIniws&t=236s

quote:

[3:56] Q: There was a story about spaceship movement being bugged which no one could figure it out until finally someone said something about CryEngine simulating everything as if underwater. Are are any similar stories nightmare bugs that were actually easy to fix if you just knew a particular oddity of the engine?

A: Roughly two years ago, John Pritchett had flown out from Kansas and everyone was working to get Arena Commander out but the ships just started acting weird. John spent two or three days trying to figure out what was going on. Finally he walked up to the other engineers and said “Our ships are underwater”. Turns out that by default CryEngine has water under every level so anything that goes below 0 on the z-axis is considered to be underwater even when you’re in space! After that it was a simple fix.

https://giant.gfycat.com/PointedEmbellishedBlackmamba.mp4

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Drakkel posted:

What is it about CryEngine that keeps attracting every bone-headed game designer to try and use it to make games it was not even remotely designed to run?

I'm thinking back to that Sonic Boom game that was largely hosed because Sega insisted that the studio making it had to use CryEngine for it....on the WIi U

Judging by how Amazon and CIG both seemed to be able to just "own" the engine and do whatever they want with it, even resell it, I wouldn't be surprised if some goofy CryTek sales guys heavily imply/allow you to do that during the sales pitch under probably nebulous explanation.

You can't do that with unreal and I doubt their sales guys ever imply or allow you to resell a rebranded unreal engine.

So if you have delusions that you can come on scene with a game engine and make bank because you added a plug in to it and can rebrand and sell it as you own, you can skip years and years of "building an engine" and cut right to the "I added a plug-in and now buy my version of it!" for making easy $$$.

In amazons case they figured if they added in AWS support it would fly off the shelves.

In CIGs case I think nobody really thought it through and we're doing vitamins while breaking contract all over the place, maybe having gone in and thought they could add a space game plugin and resell the engine.

Very early concepts of star citizen was more friendly to that kind of behavior, complete with modding support and servers people could set up for their own custom private games.

Only later did unbridled greed shut down the kindness of building a fun game people could play in favor of an endless pyramid scheme and donation box to infinity.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Being fair to CIG for once, Cryengine was so horrible it actively gimped even Crytek games, Crysis 2 is famous for having terrible performance due to the fact that it rendered an active ocean under the whole map all the time, despite the game being set in a city. And it's a pretty complex simulation.

I do believe that Cryengine is suited for Crysis 1 and nothing else, because the devs hardcoded 90% of the functionality. The engine is okay-ish for what it was built to do in the first place, it's just not very flexible.

Kikas fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Oct 29, 2021

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Drakkel posted:

Some people are convinced by the incoherent rambling antics of such illustrious Crytek alumni as Sean Tracy and Ortwin Freyermuth; others are familiar enough with game development to be able to spec out their own requirements and pick an engine that works for those,
Some people end up picking CryEnging because of what it can do; others pick some other engine based on what they can do themselves.

Consider the overlap between these groups.

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
They who choose CryEngine, should dig two graves: one for their game, and one for themselves.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

quote:

It's also important to point out that the developers working at CIG adhere to Agile, meaning they absolutely work in sprints with key deliverables and surgical timelines, and they deliver the vast majority of them on a highly managed cadence.

Just like in cancer research, unexpected set backs reset the timers on various roll-up milestones.

There is no doubt that CIG is operating incredibly efficiently, as is evidenced by their progress trackers and the sheer amount of delivered updates each quarter. We need to avoid conflating that with the real reasons for delays: when you are solving new problems, unexpected and unknown issues WILL and DO occur.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

I love how making this game is compared with landing someone on the moon and cancer research.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

Star Citizen: Just like Cancer....

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
As far as I can remember, the only CryEngine game I ever played was ArcheAge, and it was dogshit. No idea how much was Cry and how much was stupid homemade decisions, but I will never forget archery dps being a function of your ping.

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014

Tippis posted:

Ortwin Freyermuth

Now there's a name I haven't heard in a long time- basically the guy who made Star Citizen possible from a legal standpoint

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Drakkel posted:

Star Citizen: Just like Cancer....

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

New World is a trashfire of Crobbertian proportions. They just got done patching a bug that made you invulnerable when you dragged around the game in windowed mode by just patching out windowed mode. However in patching that out they somehow broke the trading house and now you will not revive your gold/item if you aren't logged in when you win the auction.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Viscous Soda posted:

New World is a trashfire of Crobbertian proportions. They just got done patching a bug that made you invulnerable when you dragged around the game in windowed mode by just patching out windowed mode. However in patching that out they somehow broke the trading house and now you will not revive your gold/item if you aren't logged in when you win the auction.

Impressive.
Most impressive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Dr. Honked posted:

They who choose CryEngine, should dig two graves: one for their game, and one for themselves.

The ones that choose cryengine get paid huge salaries and tend to fall upwards.